Are the shorter dental assistant training schools worth it?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 389)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Beth in Kinston, North Carolina

88 months ago

I am looking into Dental Assisting as my next career move. I have looked at several schools and all of them range from 6-12 months long. I found one school that is an actual dental practice. They offer 10 weeks of real on the job training and then 60 hours of home study. I am skeptical about this because it seems too good to be true. They say that their job placement rate is very good. Does anyone have any thoughts on schools like this. Are they worth the time and money? Do other dentist frown upon schools like this? Would the job placement rate as good as they say?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (459) / No (97) Reply - Report abuse

Stacey in Dallas, Texas

86 months ago

Jennifer in Baytown, Texas said: I am attending the same school Kim is speaking of. The first class was the only class to where you had to read 5 chapters. The first test was hard because we were not prepared in that we thought it would be multiple choice, but it wasn't. The instructor is very patient and started reviewing with us the info that would further help us with the following tests. You do have to study alot in a week, but I'd rather study for 9 weeks and get it done rather than a 8-12 month class that is offering the same info for $14,000 versus $2,000. I'd go crazy if I had to do this class for a

Jennifer
www.texascpr.com

Hi I am looking into the very same school you are taking the dental assistant training and was just hoping to hear more of your comments on it. Do you feel it is professional and looked upon by future employers as valid and thorough ? I found it odd that I can't find a website to check it out. Thanks !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kelsey in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

There is a big difference in being accredited and not, accredited means there are strict guidelines as to what is taught and a governing body, these short programs are not overseen by any governing body. The best programs are those accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. Talk to some of the dental placement agencies and see who they recommend, most won't even deal with the shorter term non-accredited school graduates.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Flower Mound, Texas

81 months ago

There is indeed a difference in accredited and non-accredited schools. The biggest difference is; accredited schools are only 1 or 2 year schools that go into great detail on the individual subjects. If this is what you're looking for, the accredited school is for you. However, if you are interested in a very effective course with significantly less investment in time and money, a shorter term intensive course may be the answer. With regard to overseen by a governing body, the Texas Workforce Commission, Career Schools and Colleges is a very significant governing body. Their requirements are very stringent and very much enforced. You cannot conduct such a school without their approval and licensure. They do not dictate the course content in terms of dentistry, but they do require multiple dentists or otherwise content experts to review and approve the course content to ensure that it is germane to the topic and will produce the desired result. They also have on-site audits annually and rights to unannounced visits. Regarding hiring; dental placement agencies welcome graduates from intensive Dental Assisting schools. For these entry level positions, hiring doctors are most interested in a qualified individual that has basic dental assisting skills that comes with the right attitude, professionalism and desire to learn. They prefer to train the assistant on specific procedures and practices unique to their own office. I recommend visiting multiple training facilities before enrolling. Jackie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Obviously people have had bad experiences with hiring for any profession,we have too. The point is; 1 or 2 year programs are available to those desiring that kind of committment and there are intensive training programs available to those looking for an alternative. Both paths are very acceptable, both have different offerings. Personally I would be very wary of any employer that draws such a line on acceptability of employees without consideration for the individuals skills, talents, apptitude and ability to learn and make a meaningful positive contribution to the business. Jackie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JS in Waco, Texas

81 months ago

I have heard about a school opening in Waco. Has anyone heard about it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kelsey in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

Jackie in Flower Mound, Texas said: Please visit VIPDentalTraining.com. All info and contact info is there. I would prefer to contact you through that site rather than this forum. Thank you. Jackie

I looked at your website and there is no requirement for immunizations is that correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Kelsey, I reply to these forums out of respect for those individuals having legitimate questions, seeking answers to serious concerns regarding DA training. I don't find this question to fit that criteria.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Kelsey in Houston, Texas

81 months ago

This forum is for interested individuals to get information. I have researched many programs and talked with many instructors. It is a Department of Health regulation for students to have completed their hepatitis B series as well as have other immunizations up to date PRIOR to having patient contact. Individuals need to made aware of the risks they are taking in working on patients and dealing with saliva and blood and complications that may arise with exposure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

toothteacher in Athens, Georgia

81 months ago

Kelsey in Houston, Texas said: This forum is for interested individuals to get information. I have researched many programs and talked with many instructors. It is a Department of Health regulation for students to have completed their hepatitis B series as well as have other immunizations up to date PRIOR to having patient contact. Individuals need to made aware of the risks they are taking in working on patients and dealing with saliva and blood and complications that may arise with exposure.

As an dental assisting instructor, I have to agree with the importance of vaccines. However, some accredited programs, a student may sign a waiver releasing the college of liablity. I have been an instructor since 1994 and have never had a student opt for this. We educate on the importance of it as it is for their protection. I am not sure how other short programs work, but it they are not clincally working on live patients then it would not be an issue until such time they are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

81 months ago

Our course includes an entire day on the topics of Infection Control and Management of Hazardous Materials. After this day of class the students have the next week to study these topics in preparation for extensive testing on these areas. Infection Control is one of the primary focal points of the course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

michele in Boca Raton, Florida

81 months ago

denise whats the phone number of the school you went to. it sounds like its for me. also how much was it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Crazy for Teeth in Saint Cloud, Florida

81 months ago

Anyone thinking they could learn:tooth numbering,dental terminology,infection control procedures...osha..hippa.head/neck/oral anatomy and phyisology..chairside assisting .front office operations..etc in 10-12 weeks is MAD..they only want ur money!!! I am RDA for 10 years...my practice wont hire anyone that didnt attend ada accredited/state dental board accredited schools. or programs under 1000 hours...Would u want someone working in your mouth after going to school for 10-12 saturdays?

No offense to anyone that has gone to those short term schools..but u get what u pay for..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

toothteacher in Athens, Georgia

81 months ago

To all that has read the above sent information from "crazy for teeth" that IMPORTANT information was not mentioned. Let me encourage you NOT to take all the information read on this site as accurate. ALWAYS check and research on your own and here is an example on why. There are THREE pathways that can take the DANB Exam (Dental Assisting National Board). The first is what is described by the above comment but there are two more. Here is it in simple format:
Pathway 1= You are a graduate from a DA or DH accredited program
Pathway 2= High school grad. with min. 3,500 hours experience verified by a dentist(employer)
Pathway3=Current or former DANB CDA, OR graduate from a foreign dental degree program.
All three pathways require current CPR certification proof. If you have any question, check for for yourself at the DANB website at www.danb.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Gabbriana

81 months ago

Crazy for Teeth Quote:
"Sorry that the longer training program you chose did not adequately prepare you..four months of "spelling lectures"?..LOL....let's see, any D.A program worth it's salt will teach you:
Coronal Polishing(Expanded Functions)
Amalgam/Sealants
Four-handed Dentistry
Instrumentation/including Infection Control Procedures
Suture and Pit Removal(Expandeded Functions)
Anatomy and Physiology of Head/Neck/Oral
Exposing Radiographs(Expanded Functions)
Temp Crown and Bridges/Dental Lab(Expanded Functions)
Front Office Operations(Dealing with Insurance/Programs used in Dental office such as SofDent/Dentrix/Eagle)
Prophy
CPR/Vital Signs
Legal Issues/Jurisprudence
Dental Liners/Bases/Cementing(Expanded Functions)

I did pay more for my training...and it shows...Upon graduation..I was able to sit for Dental Assisting National Board exam(Which only graduates of ADA accredited schools can do!- DANB makes that one of their pre-requisites for taking the exam!)

Having CDA/EFDA(Certified Dental Assistant/Expanded Functions Dental Assistant),following my name lets employers know I meet the competency requirements of the ADA..the same accrediting board Dentists are licensed under!

$16/hour/no Expanded Functions/from a non-ADA school..u must be really lucky!"

I just finished my 12th day from an ADA Accredited school.It's a 12 week program aswell. We have alraedy learned about 70% of the list you made up..We have girls that have actually quit the 9 month plus programs & were excited to learn more in 2 days then they did in a whole semester at the other long & pricey schools. We have wonderful teachers & alot of one on one with them. Starting our 5th week on Monday & will begin radiology..

Our class has 11 students..Wich is wonderful for more of the hands on training. The owner will not take over 12 just for that reason..

Our main teacher has over 20 plus years experience & our CDA has over 33yrs EFDA experience..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gabbriana

81 months ago

Berfore enrolling in this class..I went to a few random Dentist
offices & explained what i was wanting to do..The advice they gave me was to not waste my money on the pricey 9 plus months of school..They all agreed that after school.Once in an office..They will teach us more of what they want us to know or how they want us do certain functions in their office..

I'm not saying all lenghthy programs are bad.. I'm just saying,
How long do you want to sit in a chair? I'd rather be doing then just reading..

Just my opinion..

Gabbrianna..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Denise in Pompano Beach, Florida

81 months ago

I'd hate for you to mislead anyone, but just as a clarification, completiong of an ADA accredited school is not mandatory to take the certification exam.

3500 hours experience sign off by a dentist accompanied with a CPR certification and a high school diploma is sufficient to take the national exam. A great wayr to learn the material on the national exam is by taking a Dental Assisting course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gabbriana

81 months ago

Oh yeah.. Of course..Great point. However, I do have a high school diploma.I will be getting my CPR & X-ray certification..I just don't believe i need to spend a ton of money at a pricey school to get started..

Like i said. I'm not ripping on the schools that take months of studying..I'm sure some of these schools are fine..but they're not for everybody.. I just think if i am learning & actually doing & will leave with CPR & my X-ray certifications..
I think i'm opening alot of doors for myself..Will I know absolutely every thing in a 12 week course or a 9 month plus school? No way..I'm sure I'll learn even more once i'm actually in an office.. Will I be an EFDA upon finishing this 12 week course? No way!! That comes with hours,time & even more experience in an office. That's all i'm saying..

Gabbriana..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

EFDA in Athens, Georgia

81 months ago

Denise in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I'd hate for you to mislead anyone, but just as a clarification, completiong of an ADA accredited school is not mandatory to take the certification exam.

3500 hours experience sign off by a dentist accompanied with a CPR certification and a high school diploma is sufficient to take the national exam. A great wayr to learn the material on the national exam is by taking a Dental Assisting course.

Hmmmm. that exactly what toothteacher said a couple of comments before yours.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabbriana

81 months ago

ROXY in Orlando, Florida said: WHAT SCHOOL DO U GO TOO?

who?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Careers in Dental Assisting.com in Dallas, Texas

80 months ago

As an Owner of a Dental Assisting School, I have my own personal thoughts regarding the longer verses shorter programs offered. I have been in the Dental Field for over 28 years and have come to know what Doctors are looking for when hiring new Team Members. In agreeance with "Jackie - Flower Mound" - most Dentist desire positive attitudes,but also reliability and organization. My 10 week program teaches everything you need to know to become an entry level dental assistant, which is the same thing you would be by graduating from a longer program. You will still be considered "entry level". A major question to ask schools you are looking into is: 1. What are their year end results regarding percentage of students graduating and percentage of those who gained employment (We are above 95% on both)2. Does the school also offer the required R.D.A. State Testing that Assistants need in order to perform radiology. Upon graduation, our students have a certificate of completion as well as their RDA (if they pass the state required test). I feel very strong about my reputation as owner of a Dental Assisting School as the dental field is a very small world. My students recognize that as they begin their career, my name rides along with them. Therefore, teaching assisting skills is only one factor in my Program. Teaching life skills, respect for self, loving self and others and responsibility for own actions is included. Each school caters to each individual. As you look for a school thats right for you, don't be afraid to ask questions and lots of them! This is your career, your time and money, so make the most of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

richelle in Baytown, Texas

80 months ago

Try Houston Dental Assistant School in Woodlands,TX. It is a 10 week school 2000-2500, it was a very good school. Every saturday half day class room half day lab, hands on. Test every week, not hard if you study, they give you everything you need, great instructors. If I could do it anyone can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No Reply - Report abuse

amber in Fort Worth, Texas

80 months ago

lizzle in Sacramento, California said: Check into ROP programs! ROP is a class held by some high schools. They are just as good and wont charge you an arm and a leg. I took an ROP class that was 9 months long. I graduate next week. This course was cheaper than the private college. It cost me $300 for the class and an extra $300 for the xray class. I started interning in an office in Nov. so Ive been getting hands on experience for 6 months now. I feel that the time Ive been given has really helped me to feel comfortable assisting. I feel that I can adapt to any office and any doctor. The RDA in my office went to a private college years ago and is still paying off her student loans. Shes told me quite a few times that she wished she would have taken an ROP course instead. Not only is it cheaper but you get more time to learn the specifics of assisting.

if you dont mind me asking what does the ROP stand for?? and what do you just go to any high school and ask them if they offer the program??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tasha in Jacksonville, Florida

80 months ago

Beth in Kinston, North Carolina said: I am looking into Dental Assisting as my next career move. I have looked at several schools and all of them range from 6-12 months long. I found one school that is an actual dental practice. They offer 10 weeks of real on the job training and then 60 hours of home study. I am skeptical about this because it seems too good to be true. They say that their job placement rate is very good. Does anyone have any thoughts on schools like this. Are they worth the time and money? Do other dentist frown upon schools like this? Would the job placement rate as good as they say?

In the long run what school you attend doesn't really matter, but what is important is that will you be able to find a job after school. What you want to look for in a dental assisting school is it ADA accredite (however you spell it). I'm from New Jersey and right after school I took the boards for my CDA (certified Dental Asssiting) License. Most places don't allow an assitant (without any experience) to take the boards right after school, but you might want to look it up. I might take up the offer for the job in the actual dental office, but they would want to pay lower, but if you get your credentials it would be best. Dental Assisting is in high demand every where but with no experience it is very hard to get a job in some places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Kayla in Plano, Texas said: I am seriously looking into Texas Dental Assistant School and another school. I was wondering if after the graduation do you come out as a "certified" dental assistant or just an dental assistant?

No you have to take the boards after school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Denise in Pompano Beach, Florida said: I graduated from a 12 week program that is accredited with the Florida Board for Education and the Florida Board of Dentistry. I immediately was hired following graduation making $16/hour. The training I received enabled me to feel confident in my career as a dental assistant. I strongly recommended shorter (often less expensive programs) over lengthy, overpriced programs. I started a 9 month program, and after realizing they were going to waste four months (and $10,000)of it on terminology and spelling, I switch to the So. Florida Dental Assisting School and I graduated and was working before any of my classmated from the 9 month program! A 12 week dental assisting program is a great opprotunity!

Are you Efda? No one in Florida will offer me that and I have 1 year of experience and I'm CDA/RDA (New Jersey). They offer me more like 8-14 dollars.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Crazy for Teeth in Saint Cloud, Florida said: Anyone thinking they could learn:tooth numbering,dental terminology,infection control procedures...osha..hippa.head/neck/oral anatomy and phyisology..chairside assisting .front office operations..etc in 10-12 weeks is MAD..they only want ur money!!! I am RDA for 10 years...my practice wont hire anyone that didnt attend ada accredited/state dental board accredited schools. or programs under 1000 hours...Would u want someone working in your mouth after going to school for 10-12 saturdays?

No offense to anyone that has gone to those short term schools..but u get what u pay for..[/QUOTE

Does Florida have RDAs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Crazy for Teeth in Saint Cloud, Florida said: One of the Pre-requisites to sitting for the Certified Dental Assistant Exam is to have graduated from an American Dental Association accredited Program...Florida Board of Education accredited only won't cut it!

Sorry that the longer training program you chose did not adequately prepare you..four months of "spelling lectures"?..LOL....let's see, any D.A program worth it's salt will teach you:
Coronal Polishing(Expanded Functions)
Amalgam/Sealants
Four-handed Dentistry
Instrumentation/including Infection Control Procedures
Suture and Pit Removal(Expandeded Functions)
Anatomy and Physiology of Head/Neck/Oral
Exposing Radiographs(Expanded Functions)
Temp Crown and Bridges/Dental Lab(Expanded Functions)
Front Office Operations(Dealing with Insurance/Programs used in Dental office such as SofDent/Dentrix/Eagle)
Prophy
CPR/Vital Signs
Legal Issues/Jurisprudence
Dental Liners/Bases/Cementing(Expanded Functions)

I did pay more for my training...and it shows...Upon graduation..I was able to sit for Dental Assisting National Board exam(Which only graduates of ADA accredited schools can do!- DANB makes that one of their pre-requisites for taking the exam!)

Having CDA/EFDA(Certified Dental Assistant/Expanded Functions Dental Assistant),following my name lets employers know I meet the competency requirements of the ADA..the same accrediting board Dentists are licensed under!

$16/hour/no Expanded Functions/from a non-ADA school..u must be really lucky!

Yea she is lucky because I can't even get that.

80 months ago

michele in Boca Raton, Florida said: do you have to go to college to be in an accredited program. or could you go to concorde, sanford brown ect to be an dental assistant and is that an accredited program

No. I wouldn't recommend "those schools" because they are not accredited and it's too much money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Careers in Dental Assisting.com in Fort Worth, Texas

80 months ago

Kayla in Plano: In the State of Texas, you do NOT have to have your DANB, just your RDA which means: Registered Dental Assistant within the State. This is obtained by sitting for your one day course and exam, after attending a State Certified Dental Assisting School. Each State is different, so to those believing everyone should attend a long program that is only Acredited by the Board, please remember that individual States have their own requirements. Which, well, should have been a question asked on your DANB? :o)

Careers in Dental Assisting.com in Fort Worth, Texas

80 months ago

Kayla in Plano: In the State of Texas, you do NOT have to have your DANB, just your RDA which means: Registered Dental Assistant within the State. This is obtained by sitting for your one day course and exam, after attending a State Certified Dental Assisting School. Each State is different, so to those believing everyone should attend a long program that is only Acredited by the Board, please remember that individual States have their own requirements. Which, well, should have been a question asked on your DANB? :o)

DENTAL 4 YOU in Jacksonville, Florida

80 months ago

It all depends on what you want to do. I didn't know anything about any of that until I got in dental assisting school and you are right it all depends on what state you are in. I'm CDA/RDA in New Jersey and now I live in Florida and my RDA, of course, can do nothing for me because it is for New Jersey, but in Florida I believe that I need my EFDA to do expanded functions.I never said go to a long program, and there are long and short programs that are and aren't accredite(however you spell it)I just want people to know how things really are, and she's in Florida. The only reason why I did suggest an accredite school is right after school you can take your boards to be a CDA unstead of waiting 1-2 years because if I went to dental assisting school in Florida I wouldn't of been able to take the boards until I worked full time for 2 years in an office versus coming right out of school that's all I was saying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Englewood, Colorado

79 months ago

Careers in Dental Assisting.com in Fort Worth, Texas said: Kayla in Plano: In the State of Texas, you do NOT have to have your DANB, just your RDA which means: Registered Dental Assistant within the State. This is obtained by sitting for your one day course and exam, after attending a State Certified Dental Assisting School. Each State is different, so to those believing everyone should attend a long program that is only Acredited by the Board, please remember that individual States have their own requirements. Which, well, should have been a question asked on your DANB? :o)

In Texas you do not even have to go to school. All that is needed is to take the one or two day review course, or it can even be done online. Pass the exam at the end, submit the necessary paperwork along with CPR to the state and pay your fees and you are an RDA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Careers in Dental Assisting.com in Dallas, Texas

79 months ago

To "In Texas" - Not having to go to a school is a thing of the past. Most doctors want their assistants to have working knowledge. Think about 2 things here: First, when you interview with a Doctor, if he is interested, he will set you up for a working interview where you actually sit down with him while he's working on a patient. If you have never even been taught how to suction properly, much less knowledge of procedure being performed, it will definitely show. Second is this: I am not sure about anyone else out there, but when I go to the dentist, I want an assistant helping him who knows what she is doing, as anyone can pass a test if they study. Having the know how of what they are doing is more important to me as a patient.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy, CDA in Englewood, Colorado

79 months ago

Careers in Dental Assisting.com in Dallas, Texas said: To "In Texas" - Not having to go to a school is a thing of the past. Most doctors want their assistants to have working knowledge. Think about 2 things here: First, when you interview with a Doctor, if he is interested, he will set you up for a working interview where you actually sit down with him while he's working on a patient. If you have never even been taught how to suction properly, much less knowledge of procedure being performed, it will definitely show. Second is this: I am not sure about anyone else out there, but when I go to the dentist, I want an assistant helping him who knows what she is doing, as anyone can pass a test if they study. Having the know how of what they are doing is more important to me as a patient.

When I was in Texas most doctors either wanted a graduate of a CODA approved program i.e. a community college program or want to pay someone $6 for entry level position. I agree as a patient I want someone with experience and knowledge. However how many programs and doctors out there do not educate there assistants on the importance of immunizations and infection control? I feel sorry for those individuals who go to the shorter programs and do not get the basic knowledge and skill they need and obtain loans just to get through school and then cannot find a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nedra in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

richelle in Baytown, Texas said: Try Houston Dental Assistant School in Woodlands,TX. It is a 10 week school 2000-2500, it was a very good school. Every saturday half day class room half day lab, hands on. Test every week, not hard if you study, they give you everything you need, great instructors. If I could do it anyone can.

hi richelle,i'm in houston texas thinking about going to this same school for some time now.'i think it's really something i want to do. i've been out of high school for a while now,i'm a little scared,i guess about being back in a classroom.a few questions,is it easy(i no studying i a big part of it,this might sound funny but in a way i think i forgot how to study),is it worth it?

nedra in houston, Texas

79 months ago

richelle in Baytown, Texas said: Try Houston Dental Assistant School in Woodlands,TX. It is a 10 week school 2000-2500, it was a very good school. Every saturday half day class room half day lab, hands on. Test every week, not hard if you study, they give you everything you need, great instructors. If I could do it anyone can.

hi richelle ,i've been thinkng about going to this same school in the woodlands,it's been really heavy on my mind i think it's something i really want to do and can do but just a little scared,i guess about being out of a class room for such a long time.it might sound funny but it seems like maybe i forgot how to study.are the lessons easy,do they really help you one on one if you need it?About how many that you no of that was in your class passed and got jobs?

kaela in Raleigh, North Carolina

79 months ago

Beth in Kinston, North Carolina said: I am looking into Dental Assisting as my next career move. I have looked at several schools and all of them range from 6-12 months long. I found one school that is an actual dental practice. They offer 10 weeks of real on the job training and then 60 hours of home study. I am skeptical about this because it seems too good to be true. They say that their job placement rate is very good. Does anyone have any thoughts on schools like this. Are they worth the time and money? Do other dentist frown upon schools like this? Would the job placement rate as good as they say?

at durham tech in durham north carolina there is a course there that i am goin to be taking its 8 weeks and they teach you everything you need to know. its a small class so in my opion you learn more and a lot of hands on work as well. its $800 and after you finish the class you need to take a test. if you pass the test you get a certificate and are able to work as a dental assistant making $4-21 and hour. sound to good to be true.. go check it out :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nedra in houston, Texas

79 months ago

I have been thinking of going to this same school for some time now,if everythings go's ok i will start july 12,i'm a little scared i guess because i have been out ot the classes room for some time now.but if i study really hard i think i can do it.do you have anything you would like to tell me about the class?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

C Newman in Hillsborough, North Carolina

79 months ago

If you are interested in dental assisting as a profession, and not just a job, your time is well worth spent in looking for an ACCREDITED program approved by the American Dental Association. Community colleges are often accredited and offer a better price than these fly-by-nights. You will be able to learn in a positive environment with other students and have the support and confidence of getting the help you need if you don't understand the material. Be a professional in all that you do!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Careers in Dental Assiting.com in Dallas, Texas

79 months ago

My "fly by night" school is accredited, many Doctors feel it offers more hands on experience than those "community college" courses, which by the way, I taught at one and the students only got to do oral evacuation for 15 minutes. I feel each individual needs to do their own choosing as to which school they feel is right for them. Best way to make that decision is to call your local Dentists and ask their opinion of the differences in the assistants they have hired from different facilities.
Signed, a "fly by night school" still flying after 8 years.
:o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Englewood, Colorado

79 months ago

Careers in Dental Assiting.com in Dallas, Texas said: My "fly by night" school is accredited, many Doctors feel it offers more hands on experience than those "community college" courses, which by the way, I taught at one and the students only got to do oral evacuation for 15 minutes. I feel each individual needs to do their own choosing as to which school they feel is right for them. Best way to make that decision is to call your local Dentists and ask their opinion of the differences in the assistants they have hired from different facilities.
Signed, a "fly by night school" still flying after 8 years.
:o)

Accreditted by who though - not CODA. I do not know what community college you taught at in Texas but I went to Houston Community College and they are the BEST!!!

C Newman in Hillsborough, North Carolina

79 months ago

I graduated from the University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill program in 1992. We got many, many hours of chairside practice prior to doing two rotations in private practice. I would imagine community colleges vary in their amount of actual chairside practice.

Official accreditation is done by the American Dental Association which have specific guidelines that the schools must include. This is what the dentists want assistants to know in didactice (bookwork) and clinical experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alicia

79 months ago

Hi everyone,
I'm a certified medical assistant, and I'm interested in becoming a dental assistant. Can anyone recommend a school in new york that is for dental assisting? Since I'm a CMA, would I have to take as many clases as someone who might be just starting out in the medical field? Is there anyone here who was an MA, and a DA? If so, can you tell me which is better in regards to job oppurtunities, pay, and benefits?
Thank you

alicia

79 months ago

Hi everyone,
I'm a certified medical assistant, and I'm interested in becoming a dental assistant. Can anyone recommend a school in new york that is for dental assisting? Since I'm a CMA, would I have to take as many clases as someone who might be just starting out in the medical field? Is there anyone here who was an MA, and a DA? If so, can you tell me which is better in regards to job oppurtunities, pay, and benefits?
Thank you

Shanda in Fayetteville ,N.C.

79 months ago

we have an accredited school here that is 10 months long and it does not cost an arm or a leg. Admission books uniforms and all certification test are included for the price of 3,000 dollars or less. The other two dental offices i believe that's what they are cost 2,300 or a couple hundread more including everything. But the only problem with them is that they are hard to get in contact with to get info clarified.

Melissa in Federal Way, Washington

79 months ago

Cathy in Federal Way, Washington said: I think the 10 week course is worth it. One of my fellow students found a job 1/2 way through the course. I also have a interview tomorrow with an orthodontist who really loves my resume, even though I never worked in a dental office before. As long as you study hard for the 10 weeks to take the course, you should do fine.

Cathy,
Hello! I am from Florida, moved here about a year ago. I am very interested in the 10 week course you are talking about, and where it is located. I was a dental assistant in Florida in 2004 for about a year, and am thinking of getting back into it-but don't want to take another year long course.
I think a 10 week course would be a perfect "refresher" course too!
Please, if you could e-mail me at: melissa001@sprint.blackberry.net
I now live in Des Moines, WA.- Just recently moved from Federal Way!
Thank you!
Sincerely,
Melissa
Des Moines, WA.

Naomi in San Diego, California

78 months ago

In many states attending a dental assistant school is not a requirement. Although it is nice unless you are an RDA it does not guarantee your pay rate will be be more than someone who was just trained on the job. I do not think these schools are worth the money when if you have the drive you can attain the job experience on your own. All of the licensing that is available you can acquire through through weekend courses with far less financial commitment and long term dept. Good luck! Dental assisting is a rewarding job the specialty dentist pay more and are more or less learned on the job. Have fun!

priya in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

nedra in houston, Texas said: I have been thinking of going to this same school for some time now,if everythings go's ok i will start july 12,i'm a little scared i guess because i have been out ot the classes room for some time now.but if i study really hard i think i can do it.do you have anything you would like to tell me about the class?

Hi nedra...i'm also from houston..i heard about houston dental schools in spring and woodland...which one you go to?? i'm planing to attend their next program....i think its going to start after 2 month....can you tell me how is the class?? do u like it?? how's the teachers?? is it helping u to learn? have u done any test yet?? how was it?? please reply...i'm also worried

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nedra in Houston, Texas

77 months ago

i didnt get a chance to start the class yet but my goal is to take the next class that comes up in a few months.the school is in the woodlands,tx but about 3 miles outside of spring.my best friend went to that same school and she finished,and now she works for an office in conroe,tx she makes about 17 an hrs.looking forward to hearing from you again priya,maybe we can start at the same time to give each other the extra boost we need in the classroom

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.