BC wage for dental hygiene

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 51)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

canadiangirl85 in toronto, Ontario

61 months ago

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the average pay per hour to expect in BC. I am moving there shortly and would like to know in interviews how much to be asking for. I am a new grad of a public college, so how much should a new grad expect there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

sea in Vancouver, British Columbia

61 months ago

The job market in Vancouver has really dried up...The temping agencies in the Vancouver area are very slow and there are not a lot job postings in the paper etc... It's a real different scenario compared to even 6-8months ago. A lot of new schools opened and now the market is basically saturated. I am making $43/hour but I have been working as an hygienist for 7-8years and been with the same DDS for three.

From what I hear the job market is getting very competitive...lots of new grads out here. sorry to sound so neg! good luck with the search:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

sea in Vancouver, British Columbia

61 months ago

Oh that's great! Since it's a smaller community I would say $40-45. I guess it all would depend on your experience. But I would not go below $39-40. There is probably still a demand in the smaller towns in BC. Congrats on the new job!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jobseeker in Hamilton, Ontario

61 months ago

Hi everyone. If anyone could please help me. I'm from Ontario and would like to relocate to BC. I am looking for a full-time position as an RDH in Surrey, vancouver or even Victoria. If anyone living in that area couls please notify me if there is an opening, I would greatly appreciate it. My e-mail is silasil_p@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

hygiene in Surrey, British Columbia

60 months ago

sea in Vancouver, British Columbia said: The job market in Vancouver has really dried up...The temping agencies in the Vancouver area are very slow and there are not a lot job postings in the paper etc... It's a real different scenario compared to even 6-8months ago. A lot of new schools opened and now the market is basically saturated. I am making $43/hour but I have been working as an hygienist for 7-8years and been with the same DDS for three.

From what I hear the job market is getting very competitive...lots of new grads out here. sorry to sound so neg! good luck with the search:)

totally agree with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kim in Surrey, British Columbia

51 months ago

In today's market you be lucky if you even find a job, and some dentist are offering only $30/hours as their standard rate,so suggestion to anybody who is getting into this career please find alternative for yourself because Hygiene is not going give you nything else but unemployment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Hotta Gustavson in Burnaby, British Columbia

48 months ago

Vancouver isn't the best place to be for an RDH at the moment. The RDH job market is saturated with new grads from newly opened dental hygiene schools around the area. It is sad to see that some dental offices offer RHD wages as low as $30-35/hour. Dentists are not lowering their fees, and as a matter of fact, the fee guide published by the college of oral surgeons on BC has on average shows 10% increase in minimal dental fees. It is hard to buy any place to live in Vancouver, and even finding a decent place to rent is not an easy task. Transit prices go up, groceries go up, RDH education, CDHA membership fees and CE courses go up... but RDH salaries go down? On a positive note, smaller towns offer more RDH jobs these days, as many dental school graduates are willing to move away from highly saturated market and fierce dental competition of Vancouver. Good luck to everyone who is currently searching for an RDH position. It is reasonable to ask for no less then $40 for a recent RDH graduate. Try to stay away from those dental offices that offer $30-$35/hour. You would most likely not be impressed with a money-driven dental practice that has no respect or appreciation for the dental hygiene. A good dental hygienist is a HAPPY dental hygienist. Any GOOD employer knows that. On average, a dental hygienist will make around $200-250/hour for the dental office. Base your wages negotiation on this knowledge. I hope this information helps to all those job seekers. HG

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

48 months ago

Hotta Gustavson in Burnaby, British Columbia said: Vancouver isn't the best place to be for an RDH at the moment. The RDH job market is saturated with new grads from newly opened dental hygiene schools around the area. It is sad to see that some dental offices offer RHD wages as low as $30-35/hour. Dentists are not lowering their fees, and as a matter of fact, the fee guide published by the college of oral surgeons on BC has on average shows 10% increase in minimal dental fees. It is hard to buy any place to live in Vancouver, and even finding a decent place to rent is not an easy task. Transit prices go up, groceries go up, RDH education, CDHA membership fees and CE courses go up... but RDH salaries go down? On a positive note, smaller towns offer more RDH jobs these days, as many dental school graduates are willing to move away from highly saturated market and fierce dental competition of Vancouver. Good luck to everyone who is currently searching for an RDH position. It is reasonable to ask for no less then $40 for a recent RDH graduate. Try to stay away from those dental offices that offer $30-$35/hour. You would most likely not be impressed with a money-driven dental practice that has no respect or appreciation for the dental hygiene. A good dental hygienist is a HAPPY dental hygienist. Any GOOD employer knows that. On average, a dental hygienist will make around $200-250/hour for the dental office. Base your wages negotiation on this knowledge. I hope this information helps to all those job seekers. HG

Well written Hotta!

Hey...by any chance do you know how many DDS's graduate from British Columbia each year...? Is there just ONE UNIVERSITY in B.C. to take Dentistry from....? How many students pers year in whole province...?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Meg in Montreal, Quebec

48 months ago

UBC graduates 40 dental students every year and it is the only dental school in BC. however graduates from other dental school across the country like to work in BC because of the milder climate and beauty of Vancouver. Hence the vancouver dental market is very saturated right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

On average 35-40 students (roughly 20 females/20 males) graduate each year from UBC. 40%-50% of the graduates are not local and usually come from elsewhere to pursue their dental degree. There are 10 accredited dental schools across Canada and they are as follow: University of British Columbia, University of Toronto, University of Alberta, University of Western Ontario, McGill University, Dalhousie University, University of Toronto, Laval University, University of Saskatchewan, and University of Manitoba.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

30 year vet in Edmonton, Alberta

48 months ago

Hotta Gustavson in Burnaby, British Columbia said: On average 35-40 students (roughly 20 females/20 males) graduate each year from UBC. 40%-50% of the graduates are not local and usually come from elsewhere to pursue their dental degree. There are 10 accredited dental schools across Canada and they are as follow: University of British Columbia, University of Toronto, University of Alberta, University of Western Ontario, McGill University, Dalhousie University, University of Toronto, Laval University, University of Saskatchewan, and University of Manitoba.

Awesome---this is exactly what I wanted to know....how many Dental Schools in all of Canada---10 Dental Schools in ALL of Canada....graduating possibly 40 (???) per school, per year .....hummmm....? ......SOOOOOO.....does it make sense EVERYONE that there are FAR TOO MANY DENTAL HYGIENE SCHOOLS, graduating FAR TOO MANY DENTAL HYGIENISTS to 'plug' into the job market. We have 34 dental hygiene schools in Ontario ALONE!! what a joke! honestly...a sad joke....we cannot 'absorb' them all into the system without major effects on the present market... and the fact that some of the National Board Exam Results is so poor with some of these school's students is reprehensible. While it may take them 4 tries to pass the Board Exam....my larger concern is the fact that some of these students are ill-prepared for some of the perio cases they will see. I have had two girls from Ontario SAY EXACTLY that to me---that they felt 'ripped off' by the education they received but are afraid to complain for retaliation.

Lastly, it's obvious that the Provincial Dental Associations have kept strict quotas on the number of Dentistry students enrolled across the country. It's unfortunate that the Provincial Dental Hygiene Association were not able to do the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia

48 months ago

Hotta...please don't send anyone on a wild goose chase. There are no more jobs outside Vancouver than inside Vancouver. You are completely mistaken if you think there are...unless you know, specifically, something that I don't.

The DDS saturation on the island is ridiculous..I think we have more DDS per capita than anywhere in Canada..for exactly the reasons you stated. Everyone wants to come here. From north end to the south. There is a mistaken belief that we are an under served area...quite the contrary.

The big difference is..there are only so many patients..Vancouver would have a much larger patient pool potential than we have.

So, what I'm trying to say is..please don't mislead people into thinking there are any jobs in the outlying areas in BC., on the island, interior..even up north..there just are NO jobs, period.

And to advise a new grad to work for nothing less than $40.00 per hour is unrealistic. I know hygienists that have taken pay cuts to keep their jobs - under $40.00..and they're experienced. So $40.00 is way out of line for a new grad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rikko in Burnaby, British Columbia

48 months ago

Does anyone have Darby and Walsh's review Q&A with explanations?
I would like to practice with the questions for DH board exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Waterbug,

-- If you go to the CDHA website, then to --> job search, you would be able to see that there are a few jobs available outside Vancouver. Also, my on-line search in local newspapers for RDH position yielded quiet a few result, yet again in the areas of Vancouver Island, Alberta (lots), and NWT.

-- Vancouver is a much larger city then Nanaimo and Victoria combined, so it would only be reasonable to assume that the patient pool is larger here.. BUT so is the pool of dentists and dental hygienists.

-- On average, RDH jobs on Vancouver Island pay a few $ less then RDH jobs in big cities like Vancouver or Toronto. But is it not to say that there are no RDHs on Vancouver Island who get paid just as much or even more then RDHs in Vancouver or Toronto.
You don't get paid you what you're worth, you get paid what you negotiate!

-- Do you think that your fellow-RDHs who have taken pay cuts to keep their jobs were treated fair? Maybe they were happy with the wages offered to them? Or maybe, they simply had no motivation to stand up for themselves, their profession, and the rest of us? Did the dentist who offered pay cuts decrease his/her dental practice fees as well?

-- Lets not argue over what area has more jobs available. My argument is about Dental Hygienists NOT accepting pay cuts!!! Can’t you see that dental hygienists are being manipulated into it?!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Hello 30 year Vet!

Any idea on IF if fact, the Provincial Dental Hygiene Associations have any input on the following:

1) Number of Dental Hygiene schools being accredited
2) The accreditation process of aforementioned schools
3) Does an accreditation committee even include RDHs OR the dentists only

This sounds like a research project! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Hotta..I completely disagree. Times have changed irrevocably for DH, and maintaining a 'diva' stance is a death knell in job hunting.

I looked on the CDHA site and found 1 position in sales, 2 faculty positions and 2 RDH positions..one in Quesnel, and Sechelt. Not exactly a call for RDH to come to BC because of the numerous jobs available outside Vancouver.

I understand the philosophy behind not accepting lower wages..but it is currently a fantasy. No grad, or anyone looking, is going to end up with a job asking, or demanding that wage. It's completely unrealistic.

I'm curious about your current situation. Have you had the same position for a long time? Are you the only contributor for your family?

I'm also not wanting wages to come down, but the reality of DH currently is..it will, and to what level will remain to be seen. Jobs are very scarce, and people will work for whatever is offered, since we are not in a bargaining position.

In my perspective, the lowering of wages is a natural consequence of the saturation of our market, and until that problem is solved, wages will come down.

We have a grossly over saturated field of available RDH that will not decrease for the foreseeable future...the CDHA is not going to force any school that's not accredited to comply until 2013 and who knows how long it will take before prospective students 'get it' that the job market is saturated.

The number of schools allowed by any province is provincially legislated, so the first step is to go to your local MP..and in BC, the one private school is accredited, has complied with everything in accordance to our regulatory body's request.

In BC, we have no recourse or legal leverage. We are stuck with the situation until our pathetic assns. strengthen their position against the CDS. The DDS lobbyists are far stronger, and consequently, we have a completely legal private school pumping out RDH every year - they have a 4 month continuous intake.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Hotta..just looked up the population of Parksville, a very popular retiree spot on the island. Just to give you an example of the saturation of DDS on Vancouver Island..there are 18 DDS to a population of 12,000 people.

Recently, a part time position was advertised just north of Nanaimo. Incidentally Nanaimo region has a population of 139,000 with over 80 DDS. Over 150 resumes were offered.

PLEASE don't misunderstand me..I am NOT in the DDS ball court..if you've read any of my former posts, that certainly would be clear. I have always thought there were major problems with the DDS/RDH relationship, money only being one of them.

The point I'm trying to make is, with an over abundance of DDS and a small patient pool, a large number of DDS have had to close a day or so, thereby reducing the number of jobs available for RDH even further.

So, on top of too many RDH, and don't forget we have two colleges, on the island, pumping out RDH every year, AND we have DDS reducing their working days, doing hygiene themselves...,you can see clearly, that we have a major job opportunity problem.

To reiterate, to expect a wage of $40.00 is NOT realistic given the market on the island, nor ANY outlying region other than maybe isolated northern regions.

Whether this is ethical or moral is another discussion completely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

One other thing..sorry for all the posts in a row. I don't think that given the current market, we as employed, experienced RDH can say ANYTHING about what or what not to do as far as wages.

Put yourself in an impossible situation..no work, haven't had a job for a long time, a potential job and the hourly wage offered is 35.50 or even 32.00...are you seriously going to turn this down? I doubt it.

I think the old rules don't apply anymore..it's the wild west out in the work force for ALL RDH. Some are in desperate situations..whether by their own choice (choosing RDH as a career today), or by circumstance.

I don't think that we can say DON'T do anything across the board. We don't know their situation, their needs.. The entire RDH profession, such as it was, is upside down.

YES, every time a new student grads from the fast track schools our profession is undermined.

YES, every time someone works for a lower wage our profession is undermined.

BUT..RDH as a profession is already undermined, maybe mortally, and it started 2 to 3 years ago. BUT, to tell a current RDH to NOT take a job because the wage isn't to YOUR liking is not ok IMHO.

As I said earlier, I agree with the philosophy, but it doesn't apply in today's market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

smile in Calgary, Alberta

48 months ago

Unfortunately, DH is not the only field taking lower wages to attain/retain a job. Engineering, RN (senior), oil field, etc can expect to take lower wages if they want to work. Money is tight for alot of businesses. It does not help that there is a surplus of workers. When the economy picks up, so will wages though. You see this alot in Alberta. It doesn't hurt to ask but don't expect to get it. But in reality, you do need to ask enough to live off of reasonably. A good, fair dentist will understand this. The other thing as well, if you ask for more, you better be ready to back it with your performance at work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Waterbug, you are saying that: "In BC, we have no recourse or legal leverage. We are stuck with the situation until our pathetic assns. strengthen their position against the CDS. The DDS lobbyists are far stronger, and consequently, we have a completely legal private school pumping out RDH every year - they have a 4 month continuous intake".

What, in your opinion, (or anyone else is welcome to collaborate on the answer) can WE do to fix this? Maybe you do feel that "our pathetic assns." does not do a thing, but I think we should not treated it as a separate entity, as all of us are the "pathetic assns. members".

QUESTION: How to prevent RDH profession being disrespected (Ex: being manipulated into accepting pay cuts; private schools over saturating the RDH market, etc)

--I think that it is imperative for a dental hygienist to have at least a BSc in Dental Science in order to practice dental hygiene. Not only will dental hygiene be recognized more as a profession, the BSc grads would have a more homogenous education and become more confident practitioners. During their 4-year BSc program at university there will be much more time allocated not only for the clinical part but to the development of research skills. Being in a primordial stage, dental hygiene profession did not produce much of evidence-based research, and is heavily dependent on the research done by dentists. I believe that making a BSc degree a requirement into practice will:
- Allow more time for learning
- Produce better clinically prepared RDHs (better then any other private programs)
- Develop research skills
- Enable RDH to contribute to the body of knowledge by conducting research and publishing it in well-respected scientific journals
- Increase awareness and respect of the dental students/future dentists of the dental hygiene profession

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

shutterbut in Niagara Falls, Ontario

48 months ago

is forming a union possible? i know that it is mandatory for actors in the states to be in their union. if actors can get their acts together, we should be able to as well. can we not control hygienists minimum wage and working conditions if we were to form a mandatory union? and possibly have the benefits of health insurance and pension plans?

i apologize if this seems like a stupid question, but i really don't understand how other less educated (this does not imply less intelligent) people are able to form unions and protect themselves but hygienists seem to be struggling and at the mercy of any group that decides they want to abuse us.

just my two cents

skrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

48 months ago

Hotta Gustavson in Burnaby, British Columbia said: WI believe that making a BSc degree a requirement into practice will:
- Allow more time for learning
- Produce better clinically prepared RDHs (better then any other private programs)
- Develop research skills
- Enable RDH to contribute to the body of knowledge by conducting research and publishing it in well-respected scientific journals
- Increase awareness and respect of the dental students/future dentists of the dental hygiene profession

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Currently, the Bachelor of DH degree we do have does not improve clinical skills at all. The 4th year focus is mainly on research, academic and perhaps administrative skills. So, yes you are correct that degree does improve the science of dental hygiene, and opens the door to research and teaching to more folks. This may in turn boost the prestige and exclusivity of hygienists since the 4th year may weed out more of the weaker prospects.

Is the bachelor degree necessary to improve the clinical work of hygienists out in private practice - I doubt it. I think most out there in BC are excellent hygienists out there with their 3.5 year education. The extra time in school and credential might be nice to have, but hygienists already have this available to them, so if you want it, you go get it. If you don't want it, there is no need to go for it and you'll still be an excellent hygienist.

I am not in favour of the bachelors degree requirement, and the provincial government has made it abundantly clear that they are firmly against the idea - precisely because it will only serve to drive up health care costs for no known net benefit.

caveat - I am a DH, with a bachelors degree already, and married to a dentist

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Hi Hotta...I find this topic quite overwhelming..it's such a multi faceted mess..so many questions, and very few answers.

Our one private school IS legal, complies with our regulatory criteria..and is a result of certain people seeing an opportunity, which, given our capitalistic society, is perfectly legal.

What I do find an issue is WHO owns the school in BC and some in Ontario. I find it a definite conflict of interest when DDS own and dictate curriculum in schools we graduate from.

For me..this is a moral, ethical issue..and I have no idea who to go to with this.

Another issue, for me, is the silence of our assns. And, Hotta, I agree..we are our assns. In my case, by my inaction. I am the first to admit that I did not care who was president, who was elected or not...wages were consistently rising, jobs were plenty, and I had no concerns.

Now, we are ALL in trouble..this saturation will effect ALL of us at some point in our professional life.

My gut feeling is to, first, find out a lot more about our assns. They have had it very easy for the last decade or more, and have not had to be accountable in any meaningful way.

I did write, both the BCDHA and CDHA, and only received an answer, to her credit, from Jacki Blatz, the CDHA pres. She basically stated that we ALL need to go to our local MP, as the number of schools is provincially legislated..well, we have no leg to stand on with our local MP.

Some changes to be made..in the future..are: all non accredited schools will have to comply by 2013, students who graduate from accredited schools will not be able to register with the CDHO, the criteria for graduating will be a degree, the CDHA is questioning the Ontario MCTU(Ministry of Colleges, Training and Universities) as to how they monitor the number of grads in Ontario specifically, national competencies will be integrated into curriculum...

Really, we are on our own. Our assns. have NO power, obviously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

skrr..how would having a degree drive up health care costs? I don't see the connection..

We pay for our own education. Are you implying that we would expect to be compensated at a higher rate with a degree?

48 months ago

Hello everyone!

I just made a Dental Hygiene blog specifically dedicated to the dental hygiene issues/solutions (hopefully). I thought it would be nice to keep track of all the comments in the blog that is specifically designed for it, and where the entries will not be randomly deleted by the blog administrator. Please join and let me know if I can add you to whichever role on the blog you choose to assume: contributor, administrator, author, subscriber, etc. I wanted to make something that belongs to all of us! You can still remain anonymous, unlike the CDHA blog where people only seem to discuss their awards.

To join, follow the link: hygiea.edublogs.org/

Kind Regards,

Hotta.

smile in Calgary, Alberta

48 months ago

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: skrr..how would having a degree drive up health care costs? I don't see the connection..

We pay for our own education. Are you implying that we would expect to be compensated at a higher rate with a degree?

Sask has tried to implement a degree program. Colleges & universities both have different fundings from the provincial gov't. Universities get far more funding than colleges (gov't pays more). If they don't feel a need to pay more they are not going to pay. If an adequate program can be accomplished by a diploma, that is the way they will go. It's cheaper to run a college than a university. Check tuition costs but not private schools (in a nut shell)

48 months ago

Thanks smile..of course, that makes sense. Just couldn't get my head around that one.

So, good luck to the CDHA in trying to implement the degree program as absolute graduate criteria...

Jennifer in Montreal, Quebec

48 months ago

The saturation is not THAT bad in BC. I'm planning to move there this June and have already found employment. I sent out about 25 resumes and had 4 phone interviews. I will be working 40 h/week, albiet at 3 different offices. My compensationi s 45$/h with no benefits. Still alot better than what I would have been offered in Quebec. Honestly, you guys are making the situation sound ALOT worse than it really is. There are jobs available, you just have to LOOK. Some of them are not advertised, so it's a good idea to send your resume to as many offices as you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

skrrr in Victoria, British Columbia

48 months ago

The job market is also seasonal, Jennifer. In the winter, spring, etc it is easier to find a job as the come open. In summer the market is flooded with new grads and finding a job is much more difficult. If you got a job for over $40 now, that is fantastic. I agree these jobs are probably still out there and paying well in smaller towns, but I get plenty of resumes from folks out of work still.

BTW, I would like to ask Hotta how the heck she can bill over $200/hr as a hygienist in BC. Based on the fee guide, that is nigh impossible. In fact we have a hard time keeping the billings at $100/hr when no shows, prep time and empty appts are factored in. With the scaling fee at $31/15min, the most you could bill is like this: 3units scaling (93)+ polish $30 + Fl $15 + bitewing ($30)= $158. The exam is the doc's production, and you have to factor in folks who refuse some of these items, plus no shows, etc. $200 is pie in the sky, (or easy to do in Alberta, Ontario, not BC) ... or FRAUD!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

Jennifer...you were VERY lucky, and I'm curious as to where in BC you found these positions? As I'm sure many BC hygienists are..

RDH in Vancouver, British Columbia

48 months ago

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: Hotta...please don't send anyone on a wild goose chase. There are no more jobs outside Vancouver than inside Vancouver. You are completely mistaken if you think there are...unless you know, specifically, something that I don't.

The DDS saturation on the island is ridiculous..I think we have more DDS per capita than anywhere in Canada..for exactly the reasons you stated. Everyone wants to come here. From north end to the south. There is a mistaken belief that we are an under served area...quite the contrary.

The big difference is..there are only so many patients..Vancouver would have a much larger patient pool potential than we have.

So, what I'm trying to say is..please don't mislead people into thinking there are any jobs in the outlying areas in BC., on the island, interior..even up north..there just are NO jobs, period.

And to advise a new grad to work for nothing less than $40.00 per hour is unrealistic. I know hygienists that have taken pay cuts to keep their jobs - under $40.00..and they're experienced. So $40.00 is way out of line for a new grad.

I disagree that 40/hr is out of line for a new grad. Hygienists should make around 30% of their total production.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

48 months ago

RDH in Vancouver...I think hygienists are going to make whatever the MARKET dictates....whether YOU disagree or not.

And if you READ my post...I'm not saying what a hygienist should or shouldn't make...the point I was trying to get across is...today's MARKET won't tolerate any absolutes...NO ONE can say, absolutely, what a hygienist should or should not make, whether ANYONE likes it or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

exp in Exeter, New Hampshire

48 months ago

P.S. to Waterbug's comment.....RDH's make what the Dr.'s offer, not negotiable at this time and probably not again in our future... If you think you can go to an interview and say you want $40. an hour, ben's , certain days and hours, etc...whatever you want to work...you are in la, la land....truth now is, we as professionals don't have the upperhand, due to the oversaturation of our field....and it continues, since many want to learn the HARD way....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

basi in Toronto, Ontario

48 months ago

Jobseeker in Hamilton, Ontario said: Hi everyone. If anyone could please help me. I'm from Ontario and would like to relocate to BC. I am looking for a full-time position as an RDH in Surrey, vancouver or even Victoria. If anyone living in that area couls please notify me if there is an opening, I would greatly appreciate it. My e-mail is silasil_p@yahoo.com

What makes you think someone from BC would want you to get their jobs?? Stay in Ontario and find a waitress job... Thats what happens when you dont rise your voice about the conditions in Ontario...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

stacey walker in La Puente, California

46 months ago

shutterbut in Niagara Falls, Ontario said: is forming a union possible? i know that it is mandatory for actors in the states to be in their union. if actors can get their acts together, we should be able to as well. can we not control hygienists minimum wage and working conditions if we were to form a mandatory union? and possibly have the benefits of health insurance and pension plans?

i apologize if this seems like a stupid question, but i really don't understand how other less educated (this does not imply less intelligent) people are able to form unions and protect themselves but hygienists seem to be struggling and at the mercy of any group that decides they want to abuse us.

just my two cents

I agree!! I have been a dental hygienist for 14 years and I have been abused by dentists. Most, but not all will lowball you and not pay benefits. In my experience I only had one job with benefits. There was another job in new mexico with a wonderful dentist who really respected what I did. On the whole I love my job but felt that I was being taken advantage of.
stacey

niche711 in Vancouver, British Columbia

43 months ago

Does anybody know if there are DH seminar reviews in BC? I plan to take the dental hygiene board and need that review. I appreciate your reply.

unemployed RDH in Surrey, British Columbia

43 months ago

hi! i have been searching for employment for a couple of months now and it seems there are just way too many hygienists out there now... if i had known i would never had chosen this career path cos its been really rough finding employment here.. I managed to get into the Local anesthetic course at UBC and i thought i would have an emplyer by now as part of the course is to have an emplyer so that you can observe them administer LA and practice yourself under their supervision. However i do not have an emplyer and need to find a dentist who will be willing to help me out and let me observe them in practice. If anyone knows of a dentist willing to let me observe them please let me know... i would volunteer to temp in their office last minute if need be? if i dont find someone within this week i lose the course fees and get withdrawn. :(

Jennifer in Burnaby, British Columbia

43 months ago

waterbug100 in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: Jennifer...you were VERY lucky, and I'm curious as to where in BC you found these positions? As I'm sure many BC hygienists are..

Hi Waterbug, I am currently in Burnaby BC and I love everything except the ridiculously high living costs (my friend just paid 750k for a 2 bedroom appartment!) I really like the dentists that I'm working for. So far, it's the patients that are giving me trouble (don't want to pay etc). I really think that finding employment has alot to do with your personality and skill. There's definitely jobs out there. In fact, one of the offices that I worked for hired 2 new hygienists in the last month. I'm not sure what the pay is for them, but it should be reasonable as they seem very happy. I think people need to put things into perspective. A hygiene degree nowadays no longer means stable employment and a close to 6 figure salary. My bf is a highschool teacher and he doesn't make close to what I'm making right now. He works more hours and has been in school longer (4 year undergrad, 2 years working as a sub). I really think we should be grateful for what we have and not spend all our time complaining. Good luck to the rest of the grads out there and remember, don't give up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

dean in Toronto, Ontario

42 months ago

shutterbut in Niagara Falls, Ontario said: is forming a union possible? i know that it is mandatory for actors in the states to be in their union. if actors can get their acts together, we should be able to as well. can we not control hygienists minimum wage and working conditions if we were to form a mandatory union? and possibly have the benefits of health insurance and pension plans?

just my two cents

hi shutter bug i would like to speak to you about your concerns
dean del_mac@yahoo.com

shutterbug in Niagara Falls, Ontario

42 months ago

dean in Toronto, Ontario said: hi shutter bug i would like to speak to you about your concerns
dean del_mac@yahoo.com

hi dean,
feel free to email me...laughuntilithurts@gmail.com

Kelowna in Kelowna, British Columbia

30 months ago

So, If i were to go to Vancouver to say VCC or VCDH and do a 2 year or 18 month program after completing my year of university courses, would it be difficult for me to find a job? Not taking into account market saturation or anything, but just with those credentials. Both are accredited schools and both allow me to take the national exam, but is there any point in me taking either of them? Or should i just apply to UBC and take the 4 years..

Also, based on the fact that I'm a male, how hard do you think it would be for me to find a job?

Kelowna in Kelowna, British Columbia

30 months ago

So, If i were to go to Vancouver to say VCC or VCDH and do a 2 year or 18 month program after completing my year of university courses, would it be difficult for me to find a job? Not taking into account market saturation or anything, but just with those credentials. Both are accredited schools and both allow me to take the national exam, but is there any point in me taking either of them? Or should i just apply to UBC and take the 4 years..

Also, based on the fact that I'm a male, how hard do you think it would be for me to find a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Surrey in Vancouver, British Columbia

30 months ago

I would avoid DH career all together, I graduated from VCDH two years ago, and still looking for job. 70% of my class mates have already moved on to different career. I even applied Kelowna, Quesnel, Prince George, William Lake, Kamloops etc. no jobs. Hopefully that explains.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rita in Windsor, Ontario

30 months ago

Hi..Did you graduate from the UBC dental hygiene program.. I was wondering was it hard getting admitted. What are the chances of getting accepted with a 80 average from highschool?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

canuckgrl13 in Victoria, British Columbia

29 months ago

Im making 45 an hour but that is not the norm out here anymore...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

dental hygienist1 in gatineau, Quebec

25 months ago

Hi Jennifer in Burnaby, I'm from Quebec and I would like to see the possibility to contact you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dental hygienist1 in gatineau, Quebec

25 months ago

Jennifer in Montreal, Quebec said: The saturation is not THAT bad in BC. I'm planning to move there this June and have already found employment. I sent out about 25 resumes and had 4 phone interviews. I will be working 40 h/week, albiet at 3 different offices. My compensationi s 45$/h with no benefits. Still alot better than what I would have been offered in Quebec. Honestly, you guys are making the situation sound ALOT worse than it really is. There are jobs available, you just have to LOOK. Some of them are not advertised, so it's a good idea to send your resume to as many offices as you can.

Hi Jennifer in Burnaby, I'm from Quebec and I would like to see the possibility to contact you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

1 in Surrey, British Columbia

23 months ago

canadiangirl85 in toronto, Ontario said: Thanks for the input. I actually have secured a job out there, in a smaller town area so I am thrilled I have a job, now its just down to the negotiations.

I was wondering if you could tell me how you found the job? online? newspaper? through someone you knew... thanks

gvblackisdead@hotmail.com in Kamloops, British Columbia

16 months ago

In Fort St John.
Range is $30-50. (60K-100K)
Over 3 years at job $40-50 (80k-100K per year)
New girls in that last 2 years $30-40. Most in my office $30 plus $1-2 dollars per scaling or prophy unit.
(60k-80K per year)

Grande praire, Alberta is $55/hour but scaling fees are double.

My brother in law who is new grad DMD in Vancouver:
gets 35% and does hygiene most of the day. (70K per year working full time) that averages $35/h
He says average overhead is 60% so the max they can pay is 40% for both hygiene and dentist. He says since dentist are saturated they have to scale and it is cheaper for them to scale than hiring a hygienist in Vancouver.

We need to increase the hygiene fees in order to increase our wages and decrease the number of dentist and hygiene schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dg in Richmond, British Columbia

15 months ago

another important factor is the dental insurance plan which has consistently reduce benefits and coverage for hygiene procedures; this discourages patients
from their regular hygiene as well as dental visits; some dentists are doing hygiene work as well when times are slow

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.