Dental Hygiene School

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Tarynn in Little Rock, Arkansas

19 months ago

It took me a long time to decide what I wanted to do with my life. I bounced around between a few majors and have been a non-traditional student (taking night/weekend/online classes around my full-time job) for the past several years. I tried to save up my financial aid for the future, so I paid out of pocket and could only afford to take 1-2 classes at a time. I am finally almost finished with all the pre-reqs to apply for a Dental Hygiene program. I have a good GPA, but after looking online recently I am becoming afraid that I won't be a competetive enough applicant to get in! I don't have any actual work experience in the dental field (I will do some observation this summer before I apply). I've tried to find a ballpark acceptance rate for the programs, but couldn't. Does anyone know? If you got into a program, did you get in on the first try? Did you have any extra qualifications that made you stand out?
If I don't get in, I'm planning on applying for a dental assistant program at a local community college and then trying for DH again later, but I really don't want to have to do that. It would take up so much more time and money..... I'm really hoping someone has some encouraging words to offer here. I've read all kinds of negative posts on here about the DH field. I'm not wanting to go into nursing, so please don't offer that as a reprieve.... Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SBRDH in Las Vegas, Nevada

19 months ago

I was able to get into the Dental Hygiene program on my first try. Some programs go by a point system so the more experience you have in dental will help. The hygiene program you are looking into should have the information of how many students are applying per year. Due to the current oversaturation of dental hygienists and many not being able to find jobs maybe less people are applying to the program so it will be easier for you to be accepted. Applying to more then one school will also give you a better chance of get in. Sounds like you have a real passion for dentistry. Why not try for dental school? I've meet several new dentists who are working as hygienists until they can either get a job as an associate dentist or be able to start a practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RDHCJ in Boston, Massachusetts

17 months ago

Don't become a RDH! In the entire USA the job market is bad. The free magazine RDH just did a survey about this and RDHs from every state were complaining that they are making less pay or not working enough. I graduated 4 years ago and am still barely working and trying to get a career OUT of RDH now! Don't do it. It is a thankless job that comes with only hourly pay (only if your patients show up) with no benefits. No sick days, no paid vacation days, not even health insurance! DA is good but not RDH. Don't pick RDH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.