The RDH reality? A job , not a career anymore, pay is going down, work is scarce....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

exp in Newmarket, New Hampshire

33 months ago

So, if you choose this path and train in the DH field...things to think about prior to any pre-req's:
Have you a secured position upon graduation and licensing?
If not....choose another field. As you can see by MANY, not just the older ones, we are speaking of those in their second yr., those out 1-3yrs and yes those of us who are still working fortunately if we have a good employer...about the lack of work for all and consistency in days and fair pay.

If you have family in Dentistry and they supplement $ toward your training...great! But, get it in writing.

Future RDH's because they choose to disregard the varied ages range of RDH's on here giving experience, who want to learn the hard way...WILL.

Please think forward not only in the now of what you want to do as a career for 20+ yrs....RDH is a job....and a very SCARCE one at that.....many resumes in the drawer, pay: is what the Dr. is willing to pay....you feel they can do that to you with your expertise...they can.....NEXT....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario

33 months ago

Hi Exp:
When I got into hygiene, I naively thought that I would be able to do it 40 hours a week, and I'd be able to have a long career in it, as well as become a valued member of a dental "team". So much for that pipedream. The sad reality is that DH is becoming a hobby job, something that many of us will dabble in, but will never take up seriously. Fortunately, our tuition fees were reasonable 20 years ago, so many in our class weren't burdened with staggering student loans. I question the reasoning of those who are willing to take on these loans nowadays with NO guarantee of employment. Some private schools state that DH's earn 65K right out of school, and I would love to find out their source for that nonsensical amount. Perhaps that's why the prospective students are willing to take the gamble. They just don't know, and don't know about this site. Maybe a student will make $30-35 an hour, (60K-70K if they work full-time) but they definitely won't be working full-time in this economic climate. It'll be a hand-to-mouth job.
People have to make their own mistakes before they realize what an uncertain job hygiene is. And yes, I agree that hygiene is only a job and can never become a career. It's ruined.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

sandy in Tucson, Arizona

30 months ago

if i had to do it over again, i would go to nursing school. the dental hygiene reality is not what it used to be. hygienists are a dime a dozen.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Greaats in Toronto, Ontario

30 months ago

Let idiots learn the hard way.. Let them pay $32K in loans and then sell their house to pay the debt. Believe it or not despite our affords to let people know that hygiene is dead, people would still take the risk..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Teethfully Yours in Mississauga, Ontario

30 months ago

The fact is seriously breaking my heart. I have been posponing to start my family bec I'm hoping that the course of my career will change, unfortunately, after 2 years it just gotten worst.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Teethfully Yours in Mississauga, Ontario

30 months ago

Dental Hygienist in ontario should come together and do something to protect our profession. pls visit our grops facebook page
on.fb.me/xsCaKq

Spread the word! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lucy21 in Florida

19 months ago

Superfluous RDH in Ottawa, Ontario said: Hi Exp:
When I got into hygiene, I naively thought that I would be able to do it 40 hours a week, and I'd be able to have a long career in it, as well as become a valued member of a dental "team". So much for that pipedream. The sad reality is that DH is becoming a hobby job, something that many of us will dabble in, but will never take up seriously. Fortunately, our tuition fees were reasonable 20 years ago, so many in our class weren't burdened with staggering student loans. I question the reasoning of those who are willing to take on these loans nowadays with NO guarantee of employment. Some private schools state that DH's earn 65K right out of school, and I would love to find out their source for that nonsensical amount. Perhaps that's why the prospective students are willing to take the gamble. They just don't know, and don't know about this site. Maybe a student will make $30-35 an hour, (60K-70K if they work full-time) but they definitely won't be working full-time in this economic climate. It'll be a hand-to-mouth job.
People have to make their own mistakes before they realize what an uncertain job hygiene is. And yes, I agree that hygiene is only a job and can never become a career. It's ruined.

Truthfully, there are minimal jobs out there. Most are for one day a week....no benefits, retiremnent, paid leave, etc. You are a self insured contractor. THis is not by any means a career that you can build any sort of future on. At best its a temp job for supplemental shopping money providing you have a hubby that makes lots of $ to pay for everything.
I truly regret the time and effort I put into this "hobby". It is a thankless back breaking job for nothing, no security whatsoever.
Anyone considering this profession is crazy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lucy21 in Florida

19 months ago

sandy in Tucson, Arizona said: if i had to do it over again, i would go to nursing school. the dental hygiene reality is not what it used to be. hygienists are a dime a dozen.

Me too :(

sas in Las Vegas, Nevada

7 months ago

Lucy21 in Florida said: Truthfully, there are minimal jobs out there. Most are for one day a week....no benefits, retiremnent, paid leave, etc. You are a self insured contractor. THis is not by any means a career that you can build any sort of future on. At best its a temp job for supplemental shopping money providing you have a hubby that makes lots of $ to pay for everything.
I truly regret the time and effort I put into this "hobby". It is a thankless back breaking job for nothing, no security whatsoever.
Anyone considering this profession is crazy.

I totally agree with this

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.