U.S. National Board exam vs. Canadian National Board Exam. Same or diff?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 161)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Rhema w in Big Rapids, Michigan

79 months ago

Hey, I am a Canadian citizen that is taking Dental Hygiene in Michigan. I have dual so i decided to write both the board exams for the US and Canada (ontario). Here in Michigan there is also a clinical. I just finished writting the American Written National exam(which was pretty hard and i'm still waiting for the results!) i've already paid for my Canadian exam which i am going to write May 20th. I'm studying the same way as I did for the American one but i can't find any info on whether its different or not? other than the different tooth numbering system thats used in Ontario. has anyone written both exams or knows of any other differences that could help me with studying? THANKYOU!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

79 months ago

I am an Ontario dentist who had the dental training in Michigan. Good for you that you will be taking advantage of both the Canadian and American board examinations. Having the ability to practise on both sides of the border will give you the flexibility and opportunity to choose where you want to work. (I am assuming you are a Canadian student studying in MI).

I am currently teaching dental hygiene at a private college in Toronto, and I have come across other dental hygienist (instructors) who graduated in the US and took the Canadian board. They claimed that the American board (written) was harder than the Canadian, and the American board was more didactic focused, versus Canadian which took a more practical approach. Hope this will help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sophia in Vancouver, British Columbia

78 months ago

From what I have heard, the American exam is more factual memorization whereas the Canadian exam is more case-based application. The Canadian exam questions generally have more than 1 answer that could be correct, but you have to pick the best one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

DJL in Toronto, Ontario said: I am an Ontario dentist who had the dental training in Michigan. Good for you that you will be taking advantage of both the Canadian and American board examinations. Having the ability to practise on both sides of the border will give you the flexibility and opportunity to choose where you want to work. (I am assuming you are a Canadian student studying in MI).

I am currently teaching dental hygiene at a private college in Toronto, and I have come across other dental hygienist (instructors) who graduated in the US and took the Canadian board. They claimed that the American board (written) was harder than the Canadian, and the American board was more didactic focused, versus Canadian which took a more practical approach. Hope this will help.

thankyou so much! this was very helpful. i am a canadian studying in MI, still havent decided where I am going to live yet but Toronto is a main option. maybe I will see you there! haha thanks again for the response i'm feeling a little bit relieved now! I Just found out I passed the American one, but was getting nervous for the canadian! still going to study my heart out but got some more confidence now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sarah in Orlando, Florida

78 months ago

sophia in Vancouver, British Columbia said: From what I have heard, the American exam is more factual memorization whereas the Canadian exam is more case-based application. The Canadian exam questions generally have more than 1 answer that could be correct, but you have to pick the best one.

hi there,
i was reading your response about the canadian board exam being more case based then the american one. Have u taken the canadian board exam recently? if so what study guide(s) did u use to help u study? i'm planning on taknig the canadian boards this year and i'm from the states and dont know where to start studying. any advice would be grateful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sarah in Orlando, Florida

78 months ago

Rhema w in Big Rapids, Michigan said: thankyou so much! this was very helpful. i am a canadian studying in MI, still havent decided where I am going to live yet but Toronto is a main option. maybe I will see you there! haha thanks again for the response i'm feeling a little bit relieved now! I Just found out I passed the American one, but was getting nervous for the canadian! still going to study my heart out but got some more confidence now

do u recommend any study aids to help pass the canadian boards? such as the mosby's book review for dental hygiene which we use in the states. is there a similiar one in canada? thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ramneek in Brampton, Ontario

75 months ago

Hi,
Iam a regestered denatal assistant in canada,i want to take dental hygiene course in usa.Can some body help me with this please which school i should take.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Montreal, Quebec

75 months ago

Hi I'm a dental hygienist in Montreal and wanted to take the american board exam, any advise, please?
thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

The American dental hygiene national board exam is ALOT different than the canadian one. I passed both but found the american one to be alot more challenging (i am a canadian that attended school in the US).
while the canadian one is more based on theory (what should you do if the patient does this and so on) the american one forces you to bring up old topics such a microbiology and histology and things you forgot after the exam and hoped you'd never have to remember lol. the second half of the exam is all case based questions with pictures. there is ALOT of pharmacology and oral pathology.
i'd recommend getting one of those dental hygiene board review books like mosbys or something, or the flash facts one. thats what i used to study and it helped alot because there was no way i was going throgh three years of binders. the book broke it all down into sections and is easy to review.
good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tina in Montreal, Quebec

74 months ago

Rhema w in Big Rapids, Michigan said: The American dental hygiene national board exam is ALOT different than the canadian one. I passed both but found the american one to be alot more challenging (i am a canadian that attended school in the US).
while the canadian one is more based on theory (what should you do if the patient does this and so on) the american one forces you to bring up old topics such a microbiology and histology and things you forgot after the exam and hoped you'd never have to remember lol. the second half of the exam is all case based questions with pictures. there is ALOT of pharmacology and oral pathology.
i'd recommend getting one of those dental hygiene board review books like mosbys or something, or the flash facts one. thats what i used to study and it helped alot because there was no way i was going throgh three years of binders. the book broke it all down into sections and is easy to review.
good luck!

Hi Rhema,
Thank you for all the info and congrats to you to pass both of them.
I think it's an advantage that when you are at school doing the exam. It's been 4yrs that I am practicing, so I'm way out of any subject.
Did you do any specific preparation for the American board? I want to do the exam in Dec08 but I do not know where to start!
Thanx again and good luck where ever you deiced to work
Tina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alexa in Montreal, Quebec

74 months ago

Hi, well Im a hygeniste in Montreal for 4 years, but I would like to live in the State of New Jersey, but to be able to do that I need my u.s. board exam. Could somebody help me, by telling me where do i have to go,a website or maybe the cost of the exam, and like when are the dates approx. Cause I dont know where to go, plus I've been reading the others comments of the book that we have to study and I just want to make sure if is't "Mosbys and flash facts?" If that's the case where can I find them (library???). Please help me I want to start , but no clue where. thank you :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alexa in Montreal, Quebec

74 months ago

For the books Mosbys, wich one cause theres a alot!

Tina in Montreal, Quebec

74 months ago

Hi Alexa,
You may go to www.ada.org and click on the bold part saying;Education, Accreditation,DAT,NBDE,NBDHE and you will find all the information you have asked for.
I like to take the test too, if you want to co-study let me know.
I have also the supposed mosby book for the exam but I have to find it.
you will find the list of book on the website as well.
next exam is on Dec2nd but you have to submit your application until Oct 13th.
let me know if I can help you more with that.

Jignesh in Toronto, Ontario

73 months ago

Hi,

I am new to this profession but I would like to do the Course Dental Hygeine in Xincoln college toronto whihc cost me $30000.00
(72 Weeks Full time)
Is it worth paying this money compare to what get paid for this job, I don't know what is base pay can some one advise base pay & job opprunities for Detal Hygeine.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Alice in Toronto, Ontario

73 months ago

DJL in Toronto, Ontario said: I am an Ontario dentist who had the dental training in Michigan. Good for you that you will be taking advantage of both the Canadian and American board examinations. Having the ability to practise on both sides of the border will give you the flexibility and opportunity to choose where you want to work. (I am assuming you are a Canadian student studying in MI).

Hi, DJL: Could you please let me know if it is posible to practice in the states after graduating from Canadian accredied dental hygiene program. Do you have any friends or students who did it?

Thanks
Alice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Alice in Toronto, Ontario

73 months ago

Alexa in Montreal, Quebec said: Hi, well Im a hygeniste in Montreal for 4 years, but I would like to live in the State of New Jersey, but to be able to do that I need my u.s. board exam. Could somebody help me, by telling me where do i have to go,a website or maybe the cost of the exam, and like when are the dates approx. Cause I dont know where to go, plus I've been reading the others comments of the book that we have to study and I just want to make sure if is't "Mosbys and flash facts?" If that's the case where can I find them (library???). Please help me I want to start , but no clue where. thank you :)

Hi, I have the same problem. As far as I know, you have to pass both tha national and state exam of america and then apply for the license there. You can try ada.org

alexa in Montreal, Quebec

73 months ago

Tahnk you for you comment im going to try to go to that site .
alexa

Tina in Montreal, Quebec

73 months ago

Hi Jignesh,
I took hygiene in English college in Montreal and it was 1/3 of what you have to pay in Toronto! I can give you some advise if you ever want to study here. housing is cheaper than Toronto too.
the base sallary for hygienist with couple of years of experiance is $30 which in Toronto $40-$45. This is also depends of what kinds of practice are you working for; the more modern and open practice brings more money so better sallary and vacations and maybe benefits.
I was able to payoff my loan in 6 months, so it is duable.
there's no retiremnet but you get a good sallary compare to others that they have better retirement plan. if you play little smart and get one of this retirement tax free plan (they call it RSSP here) you wont lose anything.
I hope this helps, regards

Jignesh in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi,

I am new to this profession but I would like to do the Course Dental Hygeine in Xincoln college toronto whihc cost me $30000.00
(72 Weeks Full time)
Is it worth paying this money compare to what get paid for this job, I don't know what is base pay can some one advise base pay & job opprunities for Detal Hygeine.

Thanks

73 months ago

Tina,

Thanks for information,
how hard is to get job as entry level Hygenist,
Can you open your own clinic once you registered hygenist ?
I am preety much decided to take this program in January, unfortunately family live in Toronto & I bought house here so little beat inconvenient for me to move in Montreal but gaian thanks for advising about saving fees ?
I am still shop aroung another colleges how much they charge for this program

Tina in Montreal, Quebec

73 months ago

Hello again,
finding a job is not a problem so far there are lot of demands for hygiene in north America.
there is not such a thing as a RDH (registered dental hygienist) in Quebec meaning that hygienist has to always work under the dentist's supervision. I can give you any accurate information about this matter. all I heard that in Ottawa there are hygienists who have their own clinic or else in Vancouver they are allowed to do anesthetic. I advise you to call your dentist or any dental office and ask to have a chat or meeting with the hygienist when they have time.
all the best Jignesh and good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Thanks Tina,

I appreciate yur help.

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

73 months ago

Yalda Shams in Scarborough, Ontario said: Hello,
I am a 12 grader High School student, I am trying to get in to a Dental hygiene College for my future plans.
I am a new comer in Canada, I will appreciate your help.
please contact me at: yalda_shams1@yahoo.com
Thanks a lot.
waiting...

I would suggest that you research all the public and private schools in Toronto. Especially with private schools.....some are better than the others. Also, make sure the private schools are accredited, so that you don't have to go through the hassle of the CDHO clinical exam after graduation.

Although it is no longer a requirement to have dental assistant background prior to the application of dental hygiene program, I suggest that you have some previous exposure in the dental office, and find out further from a dental hygienist. There may be a steeper learning curve if you do not have previous dental experience (other than being a patient on the dental chair). Good luck.

73 months ago

Thanks DJL,

Could you please help me put to find out how I know College is accredited or not I mean what exactly do I have to look
Certified by Ontario dental association , Is there any short name (ODHA or ODA )

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

73 months ago

Jignesh in Toronto, Ontario said: Thanks DJL,

Could you please help me put to find out how I know College is accredited or not I mean what exactly do I have to look
Certified by Ontario dental association , Is there any short name (ODHA or ODA )

The College of Dental Hygienist of Ontario (CDHO) has a list of Ontario accredited and "accreditation: program under survey" dental hygiene schools on its website. www.cdho.org

"Accreditation: program under survey" are non-accredited at this time, but their accreditation status will usually be finalized in November of this year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

73 months ago

Jignesh in Toronto, Ontario said: Thanks DJL,

The status of "program under survey" are considered to be non-accredited. The program's final status will be determined by the end of November of this year.

Yalda Shams in Scarborough, Ontario

73 months ago

Hello,
I am a 12 grader High School student, I am trying to get in to a Dental hygiene College for my future plans.
I am a new comer in Canada, I will appreciate your help.
please contact me at: yalda_shams1@yahoo.com
Thanks a lot.
waiting...

73 months ago

Alice in Toronto, Ontario said: Hi,Rhema :
Could you please let me know if you are allowed to practise in US and how?
Thank you

I'm allowed to practice in the US because I have dual citizenship. if you dont, then you would have to geta working visa

73 months ago

sarah in Orlando, Florida said: do u recommend any study aids to help pass the canadian boards? such as the mosby's book review for dental hygiene which we use in the states. is there a similiar one in canada? thank you

yes i found using the mosby book was easy because it had all the information nicely packed together instead of going through years of note taking. i used it for the canadian one too

73 months ago

Tina in Montreal, Quebec said: Hi Rhema,
Thank you for all the info and congrats to you to pass both of them.
I think it's an advantage that when you are at school doing the exam. It's been 4yrs that I am practicing, so I'm way out of any subject.
Did you do any specific preparation for the American board? I want to do the exam in Dec08 but I do not know where to start!
Thanx again and good luck where ever you deiced to work
Tina

like i said the american board is a bit harder. www.andyfuturerdh.com is a good website to get the breakdown of the exam from (how many q's on parm, ect..) and has quizzes to help you get an idea what the q's will be like. for instance, on the US one, i remember q's asking what type of tissue was in the mucosa (stratified squamous) but on the CAN one they never got into that detail. Mosby's comprehensive dental hygiene book was good too cuz it covered a basis of everything. i also used dental deck flash cards. i dont know where my roomate got them, they were kinda hard but great for quick studying. good luck!!

Tina in Montreal, Quebec

73 months ago

thank you so much

Mrs. Spike in Richmond, Virginia

73 months ago

Hi,

I am currently living in the USA, but I am a Brazilian citizen. Both me and my husband (he is American, but going to Canada on a Work Visa) are soon moving to Hamilton, ON.

I am considering the Dental Hygienist career, but I am not too sure of which colleges I should consider, as far as having a great academic reputation, so if I would go back to the US and pursue as a DH, I wouldn't have any problems having my degree recognized.

Can any one help me giving me some directions of great D. Hygiene school around the Hamilton/ Toronto area. I apreciate it!

Thanks

Yalda in Scarborough, Ontario

73 months ago

Thanks dear,I appreciate that!

73 months ago

As long as you graduate from an ACCREDITED dental hygiene program it is recognized by both the US and Canada. when researching hte schools, it should list wether the program is accredited or not. if not you can always call the program administrator

Mrs. Spike in Richmond, Virginia

73 months ago

Rhema w in Big Rapids, Michigan said: As long as you graduate from an ACCREDITED dental hygiene program it is recognized by both the US and Canada. when researching hte schools, it should list wether the program is accredited or not. if not you can always call the program administrator

Thank you very much!!!!

Rahana in Toronto, Ontario

72 months ago

Dont be stupid, Here is the actual Pass rate from the National Board;

www.ndhcb.ca/files/2008_School_Sum_Report.pdf

Canadian College of Dental Health 73%
Ontario Dental Education Institute 75%
Yorkville College 59%
George Yonge College of Applied Arts & Technology 13%
Canadian Business College 76%
Oxford North Toronto 76%
Xincon Technology College of Canada 50%
Kent College of Business, Health & Technology 67%
Canadian National Institute of Health 75%
Trillium College (Oshawa) 69%
Ontario College of Oral Healthcare Professionals 69%
Maxwell College of Advanced Technology 73%
Medix School 9 8 89% 1 1 0 0 0
Huron College of Management Technology & Health 38%

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dd in Toronto, Ontario

72 months ago

sarah in Orlando, Florida said: do u recommend any study aids to help pass the canadian boards? such as the mosby's book review for dental hygiene which we use in the states. is there a similiar one in canada? thank you

Im actually sstudying for the board exam.. Canadian is mostly focused on case studies. for example : what would you do if you had this patient.. a.b.c.d
you have pharm emergency perio .. Darby is mostly what you really need to study.. review pharmri and emergency a little bit of oral path and histology
thats all u need ..

Melinda Mayer RDH in Utica, New York

72 months ago

ramneek in Brampton, Ontario said: Hi,
Iam a regestered denatal assistant in canada,i want to take dental hygiene course in usa.Can some body help me with this please which school i should take.[/QUOT
Hi there, I was a dental assistant in Canada and came to the States to go to Dental Hygiene school.( I never went back!) The school I went to no longer offers the course, however a Broome college in Binghampton New York, is very good. I basically started from Niagara falls and kept sending to all the schools along Lake ontario, through
New York, until I was accepted to one.. Good Luck.

72 months ago

Michigan has quite a few Hygiene schools. I went to Ferris State Univeristy, great school, but if your paying out of country prices you might want to go to a community College. only thing with that is its harder to meet people when your not in the "university atmosphere." heres a link to all the DH schools in MI www.mdhatoday.org/pdf/MIDHSchools.pdf make sure you choose an "accredited school" (just ask the program advisor if it is or not) that way if you wnat to go back to canada all you have to do is write the canadian board exams.

Rella in Toronto, Ontario

70 months ago

Rhema w in Big Rapids, Michigan said: The American dental hygiene national board exam is ALOT different than the canadian one. I passed both but found the american one to be alot more challenging (i am a canadian that attended school in the US).
good luck!

I am a Canadian citizen looking to write the U.S board exams this march. I obtained a sample quiz from the ADA website but would love to know more about this flash book from Mosby. I plan to read over my school notes which I am dreading but needs to be done unless you think this one book from Mosby would be enough???? Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks

maggie in Erie, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Rella in Toronto, Ontario said: I am a Canadian citizen looking to write the U.S board exams this march. I obtained a sample quiz from the ADA website but would love to know more about this flash book from Mosby. I plan to read over my school notes which I am dreading but needs to be done unless you think this one book from Mosby would be enough???? Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks

I have taken the US board exam in 2005, and passed w/ 90% written and 99% clinical. I did alot of studying from my own notes and Mosby's book.

maggie in Erie, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

And for the content of the exam, study everything. You will need to know nutrition, and I mean cellular nutrition, for example what vitamin is responsible for cellular maintainence of the gingiva. Periodontology- know your periodontal fibers and what they connect to, stages of gingivitis for example initial lesion and time frames!!, types of pockets, etc. and how to identify them radiographically, know all the oral patholoy and specific associations w/ syndromes, know all your drug classifications and know them wel, examlpe : this was an actual question- what would you tell a pt not to use if they were taking disulfurum- listerine. another question related to this was what antibiotic would you not prescribe to someone taking disulfurm- metronodazole (flagil)- and forgive my spelling on these, know your cellular immune reponse, know your dental materials, they actaully have a question related to placing an amalgam filling, know your microbes assciated w/ perio, know your instruments, know medical emergencies, just know everything from A&P to the process of learning. It's all on there. and bring a magnifying glass because radiographs are hard to see what they are asking for. And a little tip- when you get your book for the National board exam- read the back. 2 example questions were on the boards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

tina in Montreal, Quebec

70 months ago

Does anybody know if it make a different reading from Saunders instead of Mosby?
I am already having anxiety attack over the exam!
many thanx

kate in Hamilton, Ontario

69 months ago

Has anyone ever been to the Ontario Dental Education Institute in Ancaster? Iv'e been accepted there for July 2009. Any opinions about it please? thanks

DJL in Toronto, Ontario

69 months ago

kate in Hamilton, Ontario said: Has anyone ever been to the Ontario Dental Education Institute in Ancaster? Iv'e been accepted there for July 2009. Any opinions about it please? thanks

It is a private dental hygiene college. It is accredited at this moment. Assuming it does not lose its accreditation within the next two years, you will not need to take the CDHO clinical exam upon graduation.

kate in Hamilton, Ontario

69 months ago

DJL in Toronto, Ontario said: It is a private dental hygiene college. It is accredited at this moment. Assuming it does not lose its accreditation within the next two years, you will not need to take the CDHO clinical exam upon graduation.

Thanks alot. Do you know if it is a good private school?

moby in Winnipeg, Manitoba

68 months ago

Hi Sarah, I'm studying for the Canadian Exam as well. What did you find to study for the exam please?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Momo in Laval, Quebec

68 months ago

Hi Moby how are you?I m dental hygienist in Montreal,I just want to tell you to get more info about the canadian exam, because here in montreal,there is the rumers tha we won,t need the exam any more starting april.some students been told by they teachers in schools, me I think It, really truth.any way, I would like to know how to get a job in winnipeg ,please tell me what I need to do, My e mail(uwiragiyemo@hotmail.com)

Lily in Burnaby, British Columbia

68 months ago

Momo in Laval, Quebec said: Hi Moby how are you?I m dental hygienist in Montreal,I just want to tell you to get more info about the canadian exam, because here in montreal,there is the rumers tha we won,t need the exam any more starting april.some students been told by they teachers in schools, me I think It, really truth.any way, I would like to know how to get a job in winnipeg ,please tell me what I need to do, My e mail(uwiragiyemo@hotmail.com)

Hello Momo,
I am international candidate for the Canadian DH board exam.
I am DH in other country and need to write board exam to be Canadian DH.I have some question about the Canadian exam. I think most of Canadian exam question is case based. It was tricky and I found more than one correct answer. To choose the best answer, could you tell me how should I practice. Most of exam review book is American and the type of question is different from Canadian. could you tell me if the Mosby is good? Darby as well? Did you get any old NDHCB exam question from your school? I really need it but have no chance to find it yet. Please give me some good idea how to get CANADIAN style exam questions to practice. I need to get used to it.
Thank you!
Lily

rppj in Aurora, Ontario

68 months ago

www.ndhcb.ca/en/forms.php This is the website for the NDHB where you can obtain information on the Canadian exam.221

moby in Winnipeg, Manitoba

68 months ago

rppj in Aurora, Ontario said: www.ndhcb.ca/en/forms.php This is the website for the NDHB where you can obtain information on the Canadian exam.221

Hi rppj,

Did you write the Canadian exam recently? I am a DH in Florida and passed the U.S. Exam but I'm moving to Winnipeg and am studying for the Canadian Exam. I am studying a Saunders Review Book, 2nd Edition 2009, Scope, Practice Standards, Code of Ethics and a Dental Hygiene Deck. I'm studying the same way I did for the U.S. Exam. Who has written the Canadian Exam and what books did you study to pass?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.