california out of state licensure

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 133)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

fairly new rdh in Aurora, Colorado

74 months ago

Does anyone know anything about the soft tissue curettage course that is req'd by California? or can offer any advice about getting my license in California? I can't apply for licensure by credentials b/c I have not worked as an RDH for more than 5 years. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JAYR in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

fairly new rdh in Aurora, Colorado said: Does anyone know anything about the soft tissue curettage course that is req'd by California? or can offer any advice about getting my license in California? I can't apply for licensure by credentials b/c I have not worked as an RDH for more than 5 years. Thanks!

hello.. did u just graduate? if so, congrats! i just graduated myself too. i'm planning on moving to california too probably this coming year.. but we have to take 3 weekend courses to get licensed in CA. Soft tissue curettage, nitrous oxide and anesthesia.
The school that offers this licensure is Sacramento City College. You can call them at (email me back for the number). The next time they're offering these classes is September, which im planning on taking. Let me know!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Thanks! I really appreciate it..What's the #?

JAYR in Houston, Texas

74 months ago

i cant seem to put phone numbers on here. =(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

that's ok. I'll find it online. Thanks and maybe I'll see you there!

Anna

74 months ago

I need my anesthesia certification class also. So SCC is offering in September?? Now the 3 weekend courses is it for STC, Anesthesia and Nitrous all in 3 separate weekends? Thanks alot for your help :)

rdh4700 in Los Angeles, California

73 months ago

Hi! I am an rdh in CA and may need to move to CO, what's the pay like in CO? Good luck in CA! It's great here!

Heather in Louisville, Kentucky

73 months ago

Hello, I am currently working as an RDH in Louisville, Kentucky. I am relocating to Southern California in October and am planning on taking the clinical board exam on the 25th of October at Loma Linda University. Can anyone give me advised on finding a qualifying patient, somewhere to screen candidates, take radiographs, etc. Any help would be much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

fairly new rdh in Littleton, Colorado

73 months ago

I talked to the dental receptionist at SCC, and she also let me know that there's a class being offered at the end of July to mid-August for STC, NTO, and anesthesia. You can enroll in it until the class gets full.

Pay in Colorado varies slightly from city to city. In Denver, you can expect anywhere from $35/36-40. In Colorado Springs, just a few dollars less....and continuing ed isn't req'd yet here either.

I'm looking forward to working in Cali..just not going through the motions of getting my license here!

daddysgirl in Tallahassee, Florida

73 months ago

i am graduating from a college in florida and moving back to cali and need to take soft tissue curretage and nitrous and anesthesia. does anyone know the upcoming dates for sacramento city college. ? please let me know asap

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

daddysgirl in Tallahassee, Florida said: i am graduating from a college in florida and moving back to cali and need to take soft tissue curretage and nitrous and anesthesia. does anyone know the upcoming dates for sacramento city college. ? please let me know asap

...my post:
I talked to the dental receptionist at SCC, and she also let me know that there's a class being offered at the end of July to mid-August for STC, NTO, and anesthesia. You can enroll in it until the class gets full.

73 months ago

i graduate may 2010. does anyone know the clinical dates for cali? i am moving back to the bay area. also i need to take the state laws test? any recommendations on how to find out this information? also, how to find the requirments of the clinicals and how to find the information of the state laws? I appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks for the infor about SCC. I appreciate it. Also, if clinicals are before this class, can I sit for clinicals?

mnrdh in Savage, Minnesota

73 months ago

Is STC required in order to be licensed in CA? I know someone who took the clinical exam 2 yrs ago and did not have to be certified in STC.

73 months ago

mnrdh in Savage, Minnesota said: Is STC required in order to be licensed in CA? I know someone who took the clinical exam 2 yrs ago and did not have to be certified in STC.

i was looking online and saw on the RDH requirements to sit for clinicals. it said that you had to have that class completed before you sit for the boards

snowrdh in Carlsbad, California

73 months ago

Anna said: I need my anesthesia certification class also. So SCC is offering in September?? Now the 3 weekend courses is it for STC, Anesthesia and Nitrous all in 3 separate weekends? Thanks alot for your help :)

I moved from WA to CA and had to take STC at Sac City College. CA requires you to sit for this class regarless of your history. You must take the CA class. I was able to credential in for my license because I have been working for more than 5 yrs so I didn't have to sit for a board. Thank God. You just need to submit that you took the class physically in CA. The instructors are great. It is a challange if you are out of state that it is over 3 weekends. Some people were flying in from the east coast every week.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Is it true that we need to bring in 3 different patients for the STC course?

snowrdh in Carlsbad, California

73 months ago

Yes. It brought back all kinds of drama I had suppressed from hygiene school about finding patients. You can use you anesthesia pts. Some of us used eachother but it is hard to find a RDH that needs STC. Don't sweat it too much. Once you are there, the instructors really help. They should for all the money you have to shell out.

Good Luck.

Mina in Wilmington, Delaware

73 months ago

Hello,
I am a recent dental hygiene graduate in the state of delaware. I plan of moving to California and would like information as to how i could get lisensed there. I know i need to get the anesthesia certification before i can sit for the clinical board. Does anyone know where i could take this, and also how much it would be? Also how can I work up a patient in california? would i have to move there a head of time? Please help

73 months ago

i am graduating from florida and i have been doing some research. we have to take 3 classes before we sit for boards. soft tissue curretage, anesthesia, and nitrous. you can take all of these this july aug at sacramento community college. the cost is 3600.00 also as far as a patient, i am going to try to do in advance time. just so they meet the criteria. you have to find your own. some people even put ads on craigs list and offer to pay. they are also offering the class in april/may of 2010. so if you need to move first and get settled you can take it then. they only offer the class two times per year

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia

73 months ago

Wouldn't it been nice if hyg could be like nursing. They can have a universal license so they can go state to state. Maybe that something the ADHA can work on. Most state laws are the same anyway. If we can get all states on board it'll work. Just a thought.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

soooo totally agree. it sucks soo bad :(

73 months ago

so you think the best thing to do is to move there for a bit and maybe work a miscellanious job will i try and get everything squared away? i have to save money first here before i actually move.

mina

73 months ago

also i heard that the stc/anesth/nitrous is only good for 1 year.. meaning that the board will only except it if its been in the past 1 year.. anything longer u will have to replace it.... can someone tell me if this is true?

Also if anyone would like to become friends with me to chat over facebook or email sooo we can help each other out in the goal of becoming lisensed in the state of california, please let me know.. i need a mentor :( this is soooo stressful.

thanks

Mina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Alsoooo are any of you guys getting a loan out for this anes/nitrous/stc? or are you guys saving up for it.. its sooo much :(

Mina

73 months ago

Heather in Louisville, Kentucky said: Hello, I am currently working as an RDH in Louisville, Kentucky. I am relocating to Southern California in October and am planning on taking the clinical board exam on the 25th of October at Loma Linda University. Can anyone give me advised on finding a qualifying patient, somewhere to screen candidates, take radiographs, etc. Any help would be much appreciated!

hey heather,
im wondering if you got a reply back from anyone about this same quest.
I am going to be doing the same thing and need some help
thanks

Mina

73 months ago

daddysgirl in Tallahassee, Florida said: i graduate may 2010. does anyone know the clinical dates for cali? i am moving back to the bay area. also i need to take the state laws test? any recommendations on how to find out this information? also, how to find the requirments of the clinicals and how to find the information of the state laws? I appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks for the infor about SCC. I appreciate it. Also, if clinicals are before this class, can I sit for clinicals?

Hello,
just wondering if you found out the info for this question? i am too wondering where the heck i find out info on the laws. i know that the law exam is immidietly after the clinical.
please let me know

thanks

73 months ago

Mina call Ca directly. So you can get the facts. I did that and found out a whole lot more than other people knew.

73 months ago

for some reason they are really hesitant about telling me information. thats why im soo lost and decided to get on here and see what other people are doing. Im sorry :(

73 months ago

That's a messed up. Try calling one of the hyg schools and talk to somebody there. Are there not alot of jobs in Delaware? I got a cousin that lives there she tried to get me to move there. I like it there (TAX FREE STATE).

snordh in Carlsbad, California

73 months ago

I am a hygienist of 13 yrs. My husband is in the military and have had 4 state licenses. 3 I still keep current. With the exception of California, they are all in the WREB. Moving from state to state is stressful and have found that the paper work is the most taxing. The CA STC, anesthesia class was actually a lot of fun. My advise to you new grads is don't sweat the details. Take one step at a time. Finding patients is the easy part. Ask the students on campus. Use each other. I put a flyer at the BX on Travis, AFB and had to turn people away. The instructors are great and want everyone to succeed. The most challenging part is that it is over 3 weekends if you are out of state. My advise is that some people thrive on drama and creating stress. Don't feed into it. Hygiene is a wonderful opportunity and career. I am on facebook if someone wants to find me. Jennifer Midlo

73 months ago

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia said: Wouldn't it been nice if hyg could be like nursing. They can have a universal license so they can go state to state. Maybe that something the ADHA can work on. Most state laws are the same anyway. If we can get all states on board it'll work. Just a thought.

Yes that would be nice. I feel bad for you that you have to identify yourself as "hyg sucks." If you feel that way, why are you pursuing a career in dentistry? I can assure you with a negative attitude you will limit yourself to sub par offices and will miss out on wonderful experiences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Hello Jen,
Thanks alot.. i think i found you on facebook... My name is Mina Arroyo. :)

I plan on moving there but i am not sure if i should move and then take all the boards and all of that mess.. or go there take the Anes/stc/nitrous, come back home to delaware, work for a bit more, and then move to cali to take the boards.

I only have 1 friend in california, sooo i would have to work a waitressing job while i get ready for boards. :( Im sooo stressed.

73 months ago

hyg sucks in Richmond, Virginia said: That's a messed up. Try calling one of the hyg schools and talk to somebody there. Are there not alot of jobs in Delaware? I got a cousin that lives there she tried to get me to move there. I like it there (TAX FREE STATE).

Hello,
Although Delaware is a tax free state, it comes with the price tag of extremely boring living. There is nothing to do around here. and the majority of people are not friendly and outgoing. I dont recommended it. My opionion tho.. I am moving to california.. main reason is to get out of delaware. I love hygiene!!! and i want to continue at it in cali :)

73 months ago

where does your cousin live? you can try living there and see if you like it.. you may actually like it :)

73 months ago

Thanks Mina. What about PA your not far from Philly. My cousin works in Chester. That's where I was born. Nothing to brag about but it's close to Philly. I though about going there before moving to VA. Wish I had.

73 months ago

yeah PA is nice... you have to take NERB tho. ohhh wait... i think NERB cover VA. did you take NERB? and you will have to take a PA law test. PA is nice.. a little over priced tho. but philly is nice. not far from Chester..

give it a try :) I would move to NYC.. NERB is accepted for NY if you are in hygiene not if u are a dentist.

if you are gonna pay money.. might aswell be some where super fun :)

See im an actress aswell. thats also my main move to cali. sooo NYC for me wouldnt be that bad either.. but the weather in cali is sooo wonderful

Mina

73 months ago

Hello!! You are in a forum! When you write on the internet everyone can see your comments. Don't worry I won't waste my time responding to any more of your comments. I wish you luck in your pursuit. We all have our challenges. Some of us don't rely on them for excuses. I have the pleasure of knowing many successful hygienists from all backgrounds and lifestyles. We have all survived, family tragedies, cancer, divorce to name a few. FYI I was a minority where I went to hygiene school. I didn't let that impede me at all. Again good luck to you and I hope you find the richness this career has to offer.

73 months ago

I write about my experiences because I hope nobody have to go through what I went through. Not everybody is strong as me. And please don't waste your time on me cus I was talking to Mina anyway. So mind your biz! If I used the bad times I had in hyg I would of quit after the 1st one. Too late for me to find richness in this career. I already started going to school for something. And of course you love your job CA hyg are the highest paid. It's not about the money for me. My favrite jobs were in the inner city working with the poor and immigrants. Hell that's how I learned my Spanish. You only be a minority once in your life. Well I've been 1 all my life. Not an excuse just a fact. Can't use it as it an excuse cus of OBAMA!

73 months ago

Well anyway Mina. I grew up and went to school in Upstate NY. So I have my NERB. When I moved to Va I lugged a pt to VA for SRTA. Then passed the law next yr for credentials. So I know how frustrating it can be to get a pt for an out of state board. My friend I went to school was an actress out in CA. She worked PT and got some gigs as an extra. She's working on a screenplay now but she moved to ATL. Hyg can help pay the bills while you're trying to get your big break. Good Luck!!!!

73 months ago

The 3-weekend course includes nitrous, local and STC??
what if I'm already certified in local and nitrous?

73 months ago

Mina-
I've been looking to get licensed in CA as well. This whole thing with the STC is making it really difficult.

73 months ago

I started this post and what I have found out about the STC class is that it is offered at Sac Comm College, and it will be around $1200 (that is without needing Local anesthesia and NO2). You can also go to this website

www.cdha.org/practice/ca_license.htm

for all of the paperwork, test dates, phone numbers for information, etc.
Good Luck to Everyone!

73 months ago

Does anyone know if there is a school closer to LA that does STC/Anes/nitrous courses? Sacramento is extremely far. Also is Sacramento state college is the only place where they are offering will anyone would like to hook up for lounging? (Roomies) while there.

thanks

Mina

Jenny in FL in Melbourne, Florida

73 months ago

Does anyone know if the cost can be broken up??? daddysgirl, do you go to TCC? That is were I went. Let me know if your are seriously taking the course in CA and any details that you find out, I am calling tomorrow.

73 months ago

Yes. I am currently going to TCC. I love it. I did talk to Fredricka at Sacramento City College. She said they are offering the class this July and August. I am taking pain control in the fall so I will be taking the class next April and May. The class is $3600. Can you believe it? I am seriously taking the course then. It will be before boards and I am just not prepared just yet. Hopefully you can take with me. When did you graduate? My friend referred me to TCC. She went there in 97. I am not sure if the price can be broken up. Let me know what she says. Wow. Its is all gonna hit at once..lol.. class, then trying to find a patient and the clinicals..Lol.. i have alot to look forward to.. Let me know what Fredricka says. Talk to you soon

73 months ago

Hey, Who is your friend? I graduated from TCC in 99', but entered in 97'. It's funny, I live in Melbourne which is about an hour south of Orlando, and I work with a lady now that went to TCC 25 years ago. Don't stress about boards and clinicals, it all seems to work out in the end. So your from California??? Maybe you can give me some good advise about the great areas in Calif. Sounds kind of crazy, but my husband and I just visited Calif. and loved it, we have been looking for a change and it will be a huge one, but we are seriously looking into moving there. Talk to you soon.

73 months ago

That is great that you went to TCC. My friend that went there in 97 is Paula Heath. I have been a dental assistant for 16 years and I worked with her and she said that I would love this program and i really do. There are so many pretty places in California. I love the Santa Barbra area. I love Southern Cali also. I am from the Bay area near san francisco. it is really busy there. lol.. I plan on returning there but who knows where i will finally end up. I know you would love it there. the weather is perfect. it doesnt have humidity,and only rains in the winter alittle, no huuricanes and finally bugs. there are hardly the bugs that florida has. That is something I havent ever got used to..lol.. I think Cali is a great, great place. Plus, as hygienists, we can give injections... whoo hooo.. I hope you consider. Let me know if there is any other questions that you have. I am happy to help any way i can.. Talk to you soon

73 months ago

OMG!!! Small world. I recognize Paula's name. It has been a while. She was in my class. I remember her and a girl named, Wendy??? were from California. Tell her I said Hi! I don't know if she will remember me, it has been so long. Tell her I was the short one, and I was one of the four girls that got pregnant in the second year. My son, Jacob will turn 10 yrs old end of this month. We were in Calif. for his Make-a-Wish trip last week and we all loved it sooo much. What is the job market like in Calif? Florida is not good. I don't want to spend all the money to licence, then not be able to get a job. Oh! Is Mrs. Wagner still at TCC, I love her, I didn't at first because she was so tough, but I think she cared the most.

Veronica Callaghan in Indialantic, Florida

73 months ago

Jenny! Where do you work in Melb? I am in Cocoa Beach! Mina and Jennifer...thanks for all the good info. I just finished my BAS DH from St. Petersburg College, and I am thinking hard about relocating to the west coast. I may look you guys up to get more info about California. I understand the pay is a bit better than FLA but its all in relation to cost of living, right?

73 months ago

Hey Veronica, I work for Dr. Houk(perio) in suntree/ Viera. Where are you?? Small world huh!!

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.