i want to move to florida how do i?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 184)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Danielle in South Plainfield, New Jersey

75 months ago

I am a Dental Hygienist and i am thinking of moving to florida i am not sure how to go about it. If anyone has any information on how to transfer please let me know. thank you -Dani-

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (136) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Stacey in Windermere, Florida

74 months ago

Dont do it their are no jobs even dental offices are closing down in the orlando area, maybe miami or farther down but I have been here a month and even gone thru the dental society and they said it is reallllllllyyyyy sslowwwwwww. stay where you are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

monica in Great Falls, Montana

74 months ago

How about jacksonville - daytona area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kimberly in Suwanee, Georgia

74 months ago

Florida does not accept any other states hygiene license. You would be required to take a clinical exam (bring your own patient) in Gainesville or Fort Lauderdale and take the Florida law exam. I worked in the Tampa Bay area for 3 years. Jobs are scarce. Many offices hire by word of mouth or personal reference. You can place an ad in the local dental assoc newsletter or dentalpost.com. The Pinellas county hygiene assoc is a great way to network.
Pay on average in this area is 26-30 depending on experience.
Good luck on your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SCUBAcrazy in Great Falls, Montana

73 months ago

It seems like things are really bad in bigger cities. I live in Montana and even though we've had a hygiene program for almost 10 years now, there is still a lot of demand, especially in the more remote (but beautiful) areas. I'm trying to move to FL so I can go to dental school, we don't have one in MT. Wages out here start at $25/hr for new grads and go to $35-$38 with experience and the average house is about $150K. If I was to stay in DH, I'd definately stay around here!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tatyana in Pompano Beach, Florida

73 months ago

SCUBAcrazy in Great Falls, Montana said: It seems like things are really bad in bigger cities. I live in Montana and even though we've had a hygiene program for almost 10 years now, there is still a lot of demand, especially in the more remote (but beautiful) areas. I'm trying to move to FL so I can go to dental school, we don't have one in MT. Wages out here start at $25/hr for new grads and go to $35-$38 with experience and the average house is about $150K. If I was to stay in DH, I'd definately stay around here!

SCUBAcrazy,

Which Dental School do you want to go to in FL? Nova or UF?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jane in Detroit, Michigan

72 months ago

Danielle in South Plainfield, New Jersey said: I am a Dental Hygienist and i am thinking of moving to florida i am not sure how to go about it. Ibef anyone has any information on how to transfer please let me know. thank you -Dani-

Dani--

I am from Michigan and just received my liscense last year from fl.
Go online to the state of fl get an application fill it out and send out all the info. It will take awhile to gather paperwork etc to actually have a date set up. Start getting your instruments ready. It's just alot of fine detail work. You'll have to take a clinical, so start preparing a dependable person. You will also need to take a computer test. I was under ten years so I didnt need to take the nerb again. any questions jcdipple64@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KAROL in Rolling Meadows, Illinois

72 months ago

Jane in Detroit, Michigan said: Dani--

I am from Michigan and just received my liscense last year from fl.
Go online to the state of fl get an application fill it out and send out all the info. It will take awhile to gather paperwork etc to actually have a date set up. Start getting your instruments ready. It's just alot of fine detail work. You'll have to take a clinical, so start preparing a dependable person. You will also need to take a computer test. I was under ten years so I didnt need to take the nerb again. any questions jcdipple64@yahoo.com

Hi jane ,please can you help me and tell how is the florida law and clinical exame?
thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dany in Woodbridge, New Jersey

72 months ago

I am a foreign dentist living in NJ and I would like to be a dental hygienist in Florida. Anybody know if I need to go to university to study for the NB or State board or I can study in my house and then go to Florida for the exam?
What about the law test?
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jane in Detroit, Michigan

72 months ago

Dany,

Good Luck. I met another dds from another country while taking my clinical last year. I believe she was from Yugoslavia and it was easier to become a hygienist etc. You can do all the studing from your home. Google- Health Studie Institute - located out of deerfield florida. They do continuig ed. Get there book on law and ethics. There is a test in the back of the book-- this will help. When you apply and then return your money aplication the state will actually send you a book about fl. law --read over that. It's not as intense as u think. know how long u have to keep dental records for. know how long and how ofter u have take the ce credits such as fAMILY violence. You can take this test I believe after you take the clinical. Jane

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Danielle in South Plainfield, New Jersey said: I am a Dental Hygienist and i am thinking of moving to florida i am not sure how to go about it. If anyone has any information on how to transfer please let me know. thank you -Dani-

Dani--start by going to floridas dept of health. Get into the application area it will tell you where to start. You have to get your transcripts current liscense all that sent to fl. Once you have all your paper work and money sent they will send u a confirmation. Meanwhile start getting your instruments and pt set up. I took the wrong probe in all 3 of my setups. Luckily I had someone who could lend me a starter pack. I took it at tallahassee. They have a store there where you can purchase everything in a sterlized bag. Try to get there a day ahead of time in case u need anything. My luck though the store didnt have any more probes. Thank God for that girl next to me in clincal. Also u google- Health studies Institure and do the 3 classes u need for you liscense. Law and etchics has a good test at back of book. Once u get your date and time they will mail you a law and ethics booklet after your clinically is completed I believe you have thirty days to your law and ethics test within a large metro area in your state. know what ceu u need to renew your liscense. know how long to keep to keep records for. Know supervised work direct supervision etc. It was actually alot easier than I anticipated.jane

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Delray Beach, Florida

72 months ago

I run a dental office in Ft. Lauderdale. My front office person got the RDH license and cannot find a job anywhere. Through all of my contacts, I cannot find her one either. I have two Hygienists on staff and no room for more. There seems to be great demand in Northern Virginia and the average rates are terrific. I have three contacts up there and there is a need for Hygienists up there......starting at $40.00. Here, it is much less due to a heavy supply of labor in the market.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

scubacrazy in Great Falls, Montana

72 months ago

I will be taking my boards in November and I'm flying in from Montana. Any chance of helping me find a patient for some financial compensation for you and the patient?

72 months ago

I live in Michigan but I haven't practiced in florida yet. There is a company down there that actually screens and has pts available for you. Do a google search florida dental board pt-- good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bing in San Diego, California

72 months ago

I am a foreign dentist preparing for the Florida Dental Hygiene Exam.I am abouth to take the Clinical Exam but trying to save money and time .Is there anyone could help me if WREB(for Dental Hygiene) clinical exam is also accepted by Florida Dental Board?Or DO I need to take NERB in Florida ?Any revie class for Dental Hygiene Clinical Exam.....I greatly appreciate your helpful answers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jane in Saint Clair, Michigan

72 months ago

Bing,

You need to take the nerb. It doesnt have to be in flor. though. Any north east states that give it is where you can take it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

KAROL in Rolling Meadows, Illinois

72 months ago

HI...DID YOU TAKE THE LAW EXAM ?SORRY I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANY TEST REVIEW FOR CLINICAL...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diana Beranek in Titusville, Florida

72 months ago

scubacrazy in Great Falls, Montana said: I will be taking my boards in November and I'm flying in from Montana. Any chance of helping me find a patient for some financial compensation for you and the patient?

Did you find a patient yet? The lady I used for my boards in November of 2006 never got her other side done to my knowledge. I paid her a couple of hundred dollars and reimbursed her for travel and hotel. I always wanted her to get the other side done, but she just couldn't afford it. If you're still interested, e-mail me at dianaberanek@yahoo.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

krissy in San Diego, California

71 months ago

Hi,
Anyone could give me an idea what he written National Dental Hygiene Exam look like?Is it 100 questions in every subjects?how are they formatted?is it similar to the mock board exam found in the review book?any past exam availabe ?

I appreciate any helpful ideas.

Danny Fryedy in San Antonio, Texas

71 months ago

Hello, I need information about practical exam. Could somebody give me a list of instruments that should be used in the exam?. What kind of scalers?. Do I have to provide a full handpiece or only prophy- angle?. Thank you. I'll appreciate your help.

Alessio! in Rochester, New York

71 months ago

Hi! I'll be soon graduate as DH in NY state. I'm planning to move down to fl. Does florida accept out of state licenses? If yes.. do I need a minimum of "real life" experience before starting to work in an office in fl? Some states require 8 month to 2 years of experience before accepting out of state licenses. Also, from what I hear... is it better working in small towns rather then big? I'm planning to move to ft Myers how's down there for a DH? Does anyone know?

jane in Southfield, Michigan

71 months ago

you need to take state clinicals and the state law test.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Sanibel, Florida

71 months ago

Danielle in South Plainfield, New Jersey said: I am a Dental Hygienist and i am thinking of moving to florida i am not sure how to go about it. If anyone has any information on how to transfer please let me know. thank you -Dani-[/QUOT

There are NO hygiene jobs in the fort myers area......I think the state of florida is flooded with hygieists..Why does everone want to come to Floirda, there are NO jobs for the locals, I think there are 17 hygene schools in florida,,everyone stay where you are

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rhonda, RDH in Prudenville, Michigan

70 months ago

I have been an RDH for 13 years. We are thinking of moving to Virginia. What cities in Northern Virginia are you speaking of,(you mentioned that you have contacts that are hiring hygienists?) Thanks!

OTE who="Bob in Delray Beach, Florida"]I run a dental office in Ft. Lauderdale. My front office person got the RDH license and cannot find a job anywhere. Through all of my contacts, I cannot find her one either. I have two Hygienists on staff and no room for more. There seems to be great demand in Northern Virginia and the average rates are terrific. I have three contacts up there and there is a need for Hygienists up there......starting at $40.00. Here, it is much less due to a heavy supply of labor in the market.

Aundra Crawford

70 months ago

Bob in Delray Beach, Florida said: I run a dental office in Ft. Lauderdale. My front office person got the RDH license and cannot find a job anywhere. Through all of my contacts, I cannot find her one either. I have two Hygienists on staff and no room for more. There seems to be great demand in Northern Virginia and the average rates are terrific. I have three contacts up there and there is a need for Hygienists up there......starting at $40.00. Here, it is much less due to a heavy supply of labor in the market.

I am thinkin of moving to Virginia and you contacts would be helpful

MK in Gainesville, Florida

70 months ago

scubacrazy in Great Falls, Montana said: I will be taking my boards in November and I'm flying in from Montana. Any chance of helping me find a patient for some financial compensation for you and the patient?

Hi,
I'm an international student have some dental problems and I cannot pay for the high cost of the dental work. Actually, I have a mediacal insurance but it does not cover dental work ..
A friend tell me that I can do my dental work for free if I join a dentist who will take the license exam. So, can you advise me how can I reach a dentist who plan to take the license exam and need a patient.
if you can help email me <mkebead@yahoo.com>

Rhonda, RDH in Prudenville, Michigan

70 months ago

Rhonda, RDH in Prudenville, Michigan said: I have been an RDH for 13 years. We are thinking of moving to Virginia. What cities in Northern Virginia are you speaking of,(you mentioned that you have contacts that are hiring hygienists?) Thanks!

OTE who="Bob in Delray Beach, Florida"]I run a dental office in Ft. Lauderdale. My front office person got the RDH license and cannot find a job anywhere. Through all of my contacts, I cannot find her one either. I have two Hygienists on staff and no room for more. There seems to be great demand in Northern Virginia and the average rates are terrific. I have three contacts up there and there is a need for Hygienists up there......starting at $40.00. Here, it is much less due to a heavy supply of labor in the market.

Bob,

Could you supply your e-mail address so that I may contact you concerning the job availability in Northern Virginia? Thanks!

Aundra Crawford

70 months ago

fataundra@aol.com

CAROLINA in San Carlos, California

70 months ago

hi
My brother inlaw is moving from San Salvador to Florida in July 2009 he is a dentist in El Salvador what does he have to do to be dental assistant or hygienists? thank you

claudia arteaga in hewlett, New York

68 months ago

hi, i live in ny and planning on moving to NC, any idea how is work and salary in the Charlotte area??

orkids@comcast.net in Fort Myers, Florida

67 months ago

CAROLINA in San Carlos, California said: hi
My brother inlaw is moving from San Salvador to Florida in July 2009 he is a dentist in El Salvador what does he have to do to be dental assistant or hygienists? thank you

Let him go to California there are NO jobs in the State of Fla....

orkids@comcast.net in Fort Myers, Florida

67 months ago

Alessio! in Rochester, New York said: Hi! I'll be soon graduate as DH in NY state. I'm planning to move down to fl. Does florida accept out of state licenses? If yes.. do I need a minimum of "real life" experience before starting to work in an office in fl? Some states require 8 month to 2 years of experience before accepting out of state licenses. Also, from what I hear... is it better working in small towns rather then big? I'm planning to move to ft Myers how's down there for a DH? Does anyone know?

there are NO jobs in Fort Myers stay where you are!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

ellen in Asheville, North Carolina

67 months ago

jane in Detroit, Michigan said: Dany,

Good Luck. I met another dds from another country while taking my clinical last year. I believe she was from Yugoslavia and it was easier to become a hygienist etc. You can do all the studing from your home. Google- Health Studie Institute - located out of deerfield florida. They do continuig ed. Get there book on law and ethics. There is a test in the back of the book-- this will help. When you apply and then return your money aplication the state will actually send you a book about fl. law --read over that. It's not as intense as u think. know how long u have to keep dental records for. know how long and how ofter u have take the ce credits such as fAMILY violence. You can take this test I believe after you take the clinical. Jane

what about north carolina? do you know if their is a study guide for an old hygienist from FLorida trying to get her license in NC
thanks
ellen

maria in Miami, Florida

65 months ago

RDh FL in Hollywood, Florida said: He needs to go to school for hygiene. i don't know why these dentists from other countries think they can just come here and be a hygienist.

If you are a dentist from anywhere you know how to do a deep cleaning, remove calculus and do a prophylaxis much better than a dental hygienist from the USA, the practice in other countries is with REAL patients no on mannequins like they do here..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Susann in Newark, Ohio

65 months ago

Excuse me Maria. I've been a hygienist for 30 years now, and surprise, surprise... even back in the old days when I was in school, we hygiene students actually worked on REAL live human beings. So your logic is a little skewed there, hon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Black Cavity in San Antonio, Texas

65 months ago

Susan,but Maria has reason. Dentis remove calculus, deep cleaning and do a profilaxis much better, because in many countries the dental hygienist doesn't exist, this is a Dentist's job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Dido_Rdh in Toronto, Ontario

65 months ago

maria in Miami, Florida said: If you are a dentist from anywhere you know how to do a deep cleaning, remove calculus and do a prophylaxis much better than a dental hygienist from the USA, the practice in other countries is with REAL patients no on mannequins like they do here..

I am sorry what kind of countries are you referring to? Europe?? Except Germany and UK no other European countries are more developed in dentistry as US. i am a registered Hygienist in EU my self and recently in Canada so i know how much Europeans know when it comes to hygiene. To say that American Hygienists dont know how to scale is so irresponsible. American hygiene schools have been graduating students since 50-60 years ago and you come tell people American hygienists dont know what they are doing ???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Gabrdh99 in Melbourne, Florida

65 months ago

Hi all,

in regard to Dentists doing Hygiene: This "cat fight" has been going on for as long as I have been in Dentistry. Both sides have a point but the remarks on either side are disrespectful and uncalled for. If you look at it from both sides, or even take it a bit further to the Dental Assistants then lets just agree that everybody has their specialty. I, for myself, have been an Assistant performing illegal dental hygiene services due to my own ignorance of the law and thought I was doing a pretty darn good job. ONly later when I actually went to Dental Hygiene School did I find out how possible" damage" I've done due to the fact that I was THE HYGIENIST in that previous office.

Just like some lazy prophy queens who do a terrible job under the cover of the "I am a licensed Hygienist" we have wonderful caring foreign Dentist doing an outstanding service with hygiene. The same goes for the other way around. I have seen Assistants doing great jobs as well as horrible. Let's face it: Assistant scale all day long when they clean off temp cement. Granted it's supposed supra gingival only but we all know to do a good job in cleaning the cement you have to go sub gingival.

The Assistant who went to school/CEU's for expanded function looks at the other one without it doing the same and complains. The Dental Hygienist complains about the Assistant, the Dentist complains about the Hygienist. When will it end?

This is a competetive field and, not unless patients truly getting hurt in an office where not only the law is being broken (Hardly the case when a foreign or American Dentists for that matter does Dental Hygiene)but substandard care is being practiced, we all need to stop pointing fingers and try to understand all sides involved.

Just my 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Susann in Newark, Ohio

65 months ago

Gabrdh99 in Melbourne, Florida said: Hi all,

in regard to Dentists doing Hygiene: This "cat fight" has been going on for as long as I have been in Dentistry. Both sides have a point but the remarks on either side are disrespectful and uncalled for. If you look at it from both sides, or even take it a bit further to the Dental Assistants then lets just agree that everybody has their specialty. I, for myself, have been an Assistant performing illegal dental hygiene services due to my own ignorance of the law and thought I was doing a pretty darn good job. ONly later when I actually went to Dental Hygiene School did I find out how possible" damage" I've done due to the fact that I was THE HYGIENIST in that previous office.

Just like some lazy prophy queens who do a terrible job under the cover of the "I am a licensed Hygienist" we have wonderful caring foreign Dentist doing an outstanding service with hygiene. The same goes for the other way around. I have seen Assistants doing great jobs as well as horrible. Let's face it: Assistant scale all day long when they clean off temp cement. Granted it's supposed supra gingival only but we all know to do a good job in cleaning the cement you have to go sub gingival.

The Assistant who went to school/CEU's for expanded function looks at the other one without it doing the same and complains. The Dental Hygienist complains about the Assistant, the Dentist complains about the Hygienist. When will it end?

This is a competetive field and, not unless patients truly getting hurt in an office where not only the law is being broken (Hardly the case when a foreign or American Dentists for that matter does Dental Hygiene)but substandard care is being practiced, we all need to stop pointing fingers and try to understand all sides involved.

Just my 2 cents.[/QUO

Susann in Newark, Ohio

65 months ago

Oops!

Hmmm....I apologize if I sounded disrespectful earlier when talking about real live patients, but Maria deserved a response to a totally unknowledgeabe post she made. As far as dentists doing prophies, my experience has been that they don't do them well simply because they don't like doing them. I am sure that's not true for every dentist but the ones I've worked with won't do them.

We all know there are good and bad dentists, hygienists, and assistants as Gabrdh stated above. My problem with you saying that assistants have to go sub-gingivally to remove temp. cement is that some probably don't have a clue what they are doing to the root surface of that tooth when they think they can do it just fine. Do they realize with each scrape of their instrument they are creating a surface that bacteria can adhere to easily. Are they experienced and knowledgeable in root planing, too?

There is a world of education and knowledge behind each and every degree we all have. That is why we all have DA, RDH, EFDA, or DDS behind our names. What's to understand.

scrapes in Allentown, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

Dido_Rdh in Toronto, Ontario said: I am sorry what kind of countries are you referring to? Europe?? Except Germany and UK no other European countries are more developed in dentistry as US. i am a registered Hygienist in EU my self and recently in Canada so i know how much Europeans know when it comes to hygiene. To say that American Hygienists dont know how to scale is so irresponsible. American hygiene schools have been graduating students since 50-60 years ago and you come tell people American hygienists dont know what they are doing ???

Switzerland has the best dentistry in Europe - lots of perio research and techniques originate from the Swiss first, w/ Germany a close second.

Wever dude. in Toronto, Ontario

64 months ago

Ya right

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

renee

64 months ago

Hi Ihave been a hygienist for 28 years. I am planning to move to Florida. What exactly do Ihave to do to get a license? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Noha in Mobile, Alabama

61 months ago

Hi
My husband is getting ready for his Dental Hygien Exam in Dec. can anyone tell us , how we find patients? and rental instruments please?

Noha in Mobile, Alabama

61 months ago

my e.mail nohahassan77@hotmail.com

jvschooley

61 months ago

I am a retired dental hygienist in NYS. This profession was great.

I worked for 40 years. My ending salary was around 28.00 dollars.

I hope to move to "The Villages, Florida" in a year. My hometown

was very small. IN THE SURROUNDING AREAS THE RDH WAS IN DEMAND WITH

GREAT BENEFITS AND GREAT PAY FOR A TWO YEAR DEGREE. DON'T GIVE UP

YOUR DREAM. TIMES ARE ALWAYS CHANGING! I LOVED IT!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Noha in Mobile, Alabama

61 months ago

Bob in Delray Beach, Florida said: I run a dental office in Ft. Lauderdale. My front office person got the RDH license and cannot find a job anywhere. Through all of my contacts, I cannot find her one either. I have two Hygienists on staff and no room for more. There seems to be great demand in Northern Virginia and the average rates are terrific. I have three contacts up there and there is a need for Hygienists up there......starting at $40.00. Here, it is much less due to a heavy supply of labor in the market.

would you please give us those contacts we need them
e.mail nohahassan77@hotmail.com

Noha in Mobile, Alabama

61 months ago

jane in Detroit, Michigan said: Dany,

Hi Jane
Do you still have your Dental Exam instrument from Florida clinical exam?
my husband fixing to take this exam and we will buy it if you still have it, or if you know somebody can sell it to us, appriciate your help
this is my e.mail nohahassan77@hotmail.com

Noha in Mobile, Alabama

61 months ago

we need a Dental hygiene set for the Florida Clinical Exam , we would like to buy it.
please e.mail nohahassan77@hotmail.com
thanks

dberanek in Hohenfels, Germany

61 months ago

This name calling really has to stop! Some foreign trained dentists make great practioners, some don't. Same as with dentists and hygienist trained here. Language barriers and cultural differences sometimes hinder patient care - and saying that does not make me a racist. On the other hand, foreign practioners, often bring a different set of experiences to the table that can benefit the patient and the staff. So - lets stop the name calling and strive for the highest standards! Let your patient care speak for your skills.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.