Is a hygienist qualified to be office manager?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

64 months ago

A dr looking to start a new office wants:
10 yrs management exp
team focus
marketing skills
manage 2 dr's and 8 staff
EFDA or HYGIENIST preferred
I have been a hygienist for 15 years and am thinking of applying but I have never managed in dental. I have assisted in hiring and firing, front desk, commercials, radio ads, insurance billing, collections. Does anyone have any advice and the pay is $20-30/hr depending on exp.? Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

kerr4me in Ohio

64 months ago

Suzanne, I think your well qualified based on what you have assisted in and by taking some management courses related to dentistry and beyond you should go for it. Just be careful of the starting a new office during these times as it could lead to unemployment for you. Best wishes in whatever you decide!!

suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana

64 months ago

Thank you so much for responding. I was not a candidate for the new office as I don't have excellent computer skills. I didn't feel it was a safe bet anyway. All the dr who interviewed me talked about was production as if I was going to be the hygienist still. But I am going to keep looking. Have a good week.

victoria brown in jax, fl

10 months ago

Suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: A dr looking to start a new office wants:
10 yrs management exp
team focus
marketing skills
manage 2 dr's and 8 staff
EFDA or HYGIENIST preferred
I have been a hygienist for 15 years and am thinking of applying but I have never managed in dental . I have assisted in hiring and firing, front desk , commercials, radio ads, insurance billing , collections . Does anyone have any advice and the pay is $20-30/ hr depending on exp.? Thanks.

Great advice thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

victoria brown in jax, fl 24

10 months ago

suzanne in Terre Haute, Indiana said: Thank you so much for responding. I was not a candidate for the new office as I don't have excellent computer skills. I didn't feel it was a safe bet anyway. All the dr who interviewed me talked about was production as if I was going to be the hygienist still. But I am going to keep looking. Have a good week.

Im a efda and a new graduate why is it so hard to land my first job and get passed the interviewing process any tips or suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy Warschaw, Director of WLI in Upland, California

1 month ago

Hi Victoria, well I see you posted 8 months ago I hope by now you have found a position. The problem you had was no hands-on experience. You need to find a dentist that is interested in molding you in the type o DA they really want. Funny enough only a wise dentist would know what a gift you are. Good luck! Cathy

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.