What are the best dental office manager qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a dental office manager? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective dental office manager?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

cat in Orlando, Florida

63 months ago

being a dental assistant first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tooth Fairy in Commerce City, Colorado

62 months ago

I don't agree with cat. In order to be a manager you need to have the talents that a manager needs.. whether its dental or not. Talents are god-given. Skills are learned. If you have the talent to coach, multitask, make sound judgement and decision making, and are an excellent multitasker that can get results the rest can be taught.

The TRICK is.. while being on the job and still "learning" it does hinder the respect that your team will give you. Its not good to be a "manager" and ask your staff for help on something you are unsure of. I would definitely try to get a job where extensive training happens BEFORE being placed into the role. This will eliminate the "Can you help me figure this out" moments you may have with staff, and it will also give you people to call when you might be in need of help. I have experienced many people in my career being great managers and not coming with a dental background. Some of the best ideas come from new people who haven't been stuck in "dental" thinking for long periods of time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DBird in Fort Worth, Texas

60 months ago

There is some Webinars on Practice Management that can help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.