What are typical dental office manager salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 90 of 90)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

minxie77 in New Hartford, New York

52 months ago

I live in Central New York, the wages here are quite low to correspond with the lower cost of living. I agree with both of the comments that the dds wants me to watch over his business while he is gone and trusts me to make the right decisions, but I also feel a lawyer could help write up a contract so that if for some reason the associate decides one day they don't want to work anymore, I am protected. I will be seeking legal counsel at least protect myself. My main worry is that I have to depend on someone else to produce, something I do not need to worry about with an hourly wage. Our office takes Medicaid and of the entire Central New York area there are only 3 dentists that do, so patient-wise unfortunately these people have no choice. If they do not like the associate they have no where else to go except for the ER. Sad but true, we will always have a patient load that is more than we can handle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

tamgry in Powell, Ohio

46 months ago

Dental OM in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Yes, it is a starting point. You would not believe the dentists not wanting to hire someone with experience because of money. It is sick. I go into some of these offices and all their billing is messed up...from 2000. I mean they hire a $15.oo Office mgr to mess up their practice. They need to get a clue. You get what you pay for.

I trained a front desk person from scratch and she is really awesome! Sometimes it is best to give someone with the right personality a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mbn45 in Alhambra, California

46 months ago

Hi,

I just started a job in Pasadena, I have experience in both front and back office for 3 years. But my main job for this office is insurance coordinator. How much should I be getting paid? Sometimes when they get really busy at the back they ask me to assist.

Treatment Coordinator in Santa Maria, California

45 months ago

Dental OM in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Yes, it is a starting point. You would not believe the dentists not wanting to hire someone with experience because of money. It is sick. I go into some of these offices and all their billing is messed up...from 2000. I mean they hire a $15.oo Office mgr to mess up their practice. They need to get a clue. You get what you pay for.

I used to live in Vegas, and was getting paid 9!!! at one of the worst corporate offices in town, the whole time I was there I did not get a raise.

Treatment Coordinator in Santa Maria, California

45 months ago

mbn45 in Alhambra, California said: Hi,

I just started a job in Pasadena, I have experience in both front and back office for 3 years. But my main job for this office is insurance coordinator. How much should I be getting paid? Sometimes when they get really busy at the back they ask me to assist.

I say it depends on how your office is doing, but atleast 15 an hour.

pink27n in Prospect Park, Pennsylvania

41 months ago

I worked in a dental office for 7 years I started at the front desk and worked my way up to Accounts Receivable Manager (assistant to the office manager) and was layed off 6 mts ago I have only used softdent how does it compare to other dental softwear i am going for a dental management job in my last pstion I was getting paid 19.00 should I be lookng to make 25.00 +??

Sharon in Los Angeles, California

41 months ago

How much does an Treatment Coordinator in Orthodontics make per hour and what type of bonus sytem is usually in place?

Rather not say in Boston, Massachusetts

41 months ago

My friend gets paid $14 an hour and does a great job. She's only been in the field for 2 years but does excellent work. Should she ask for a raise?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

up to 30.00 per hour with a bonus on collections..

sassy81852@aol.com in Pleasanton, California

41 months ago

Dental office salaries are guided by 3 things
#1 How much the office produces
#2 What the doctors over head % for salaries are
#3 And how much experience the person has.

Unfortunately, # 2 normally wins out. The doctor normally wants to stay with in a certain % of his gross production for salaries, as guided by his accountant, which might not have anything to do with your years of experience. Running a dental office is a business, not a service. Doctors no longer get paid with chickens and eggs for their services. Theses guys and gals went to dental school but no one went to business school to learn how to run a business. I have 38 years of experience and had to fight to get every dime I make in a young practice (about 5 years old) after all the doctors student loans, vacations, big house and fancy cars, gym membership and day care, take first place over anything I might be compensated for. Im so ready to retire.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

PM in Indianapolis, Indiana

41 months ago

Same thing here, 30 yrs, brand new practice, just out of school, but bringing in as much if not more than those practicing for 25 yrs. Can you believe no Christmas present or bounus this yr! So ready to retire and let them fend for themselves with some bimbo that he pays less for.

katiekat in Utica, New York

41 months ago

It is extremely easy to make the transition from Dentrix to Eaglesoft.. I was able to do it 4 years ago and agree that their call center is very helpful, even for the "dumbest" questions...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

40 months ago

I work Monday through Thursday and have picked up a project for a prosthodontist on Friday. He purchased the practice two years ago and needs someone to go through charts. He is offering a percentage of the case fee for people I bring in. Any ideas on what percentage would be fair? Thanks!

V. Lawrence in Pikesville, Maryland

36 months ago

Sheila in Magnolia, Texas said: I'am a dental office manger. I have 15 yrs experience as a dental assistant and 7yrs as a office manager. I 'am currently working for a small practice 1 dentist with one assistant, 1 hygienist and a hyg coordinator.
Last year we collected $100,000.00 On average we produce $96,000.00 and collect $86,000.00 per month. I feel this is pretty good for a small practice.The office hours are Mon.-Thurs. 7:00am - 3:30pm
I currently make $19.00 an hour on a salary pay of 32hrs a week. I feel I'm under paid for this position. My boss feels I'm over paid for this position there for has denied any raises for the future. He explained I'm to high salary as it is. My question is with my experience what is considered a average salary for this position?

Wow! You should find employment with a dentist who will appreciate you. I have been in the dental field for 17 years (13 years dental assisting and 4 years working as an office manager, which I currently do now in Washington, D.C). I started out making $29 /hr. when I was hired 4 years ago and now I am currently making $35 /hr. However, I do have a Bachelors degree and will have my Masters degree in 10 months. I'm not sure if my education made any difference or the fact that since I joined this group our numbers have tripled.

over-it in Gardena, California

36 months ago

I have a question relating to this in one way or another? I have been a dental assistant, front and back office, for 11yrs. I also have experience in sales, account management. I have been in my current front/ back office position for 6 years. I have always had an interest in Office Management, but am severely underappreciated,and I believe,(along with every other employee there) that I work for one of those office managers who are threatened, and run off any competition. How do I even begin to try and apply elsewhere for OM positions without any direct management experience? She has done everything she can to not show me the ropes, and keep me feeling as if I have no right to even ask for a raise. I have recieved one review (that I had to ask for) and one raise in 6 years! I believe I can perform the office managers job functions, the only thing I really haven't done is payroll, AR/AP? Where do I begin?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SRD in Wildwood, New Jersey

33 months ago

Bokbok in Pomona, California said: Yes, you are definitely underpaid. Like most of the previous post here, even a small single practice like your office should be able to pay at least $25/hour. Sometimes you need to switch office to go to the next payscale...some offices just really refuse to pay well.

I'm the only Office Manager at a practice that has 6 front desk girls, 4 General Dentist, Oral Surgeon, 2 Endodontist,Orthodonist and Pedodontist, sterile tech and 8 assistant's. I have helped this company double in productivity since I've been the manager! The are paying me $18 an hour. Our office produces approx $243,000 A MONTH! I'm starting to feel under paid and not appreciated. I work hard to make this office productive and maintain excellent working conditions for my staff. I feel I'm an excellent manager. Any thoughts anyone? Or guidance on how to get a salary I deserve?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CindyLou in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

Sheila in Magnolia, Texas said: I'am a dental office manger. I have 15 yrs experience as a dental assistant and 7yrs as a office manager. I 'am currently working for a small practice 1 dentist with one assistant, 1 hygienist and a hyg coordinator.
Last year we collected $100,000.00 On average we produce $96,000.00 and collect $86,000.00 per month. I feel this is pretty good for a small practice.The office hours are Mon.-Thurs. 7:00am - 3:30pm
I currently make $19.00 an hour on a salary pay of 32hrs a week. I feel I'm under paid for this position. My boss feels I'm over paid for this position there for has denied any raises for the future. He explained I'm to high salary as it is. My question is with my experience what is considered a average salary for this position?

Yes, you are under paid. I would ask for a raise!

CindyLou in Chicago, Illinois

31 months ago

sassy81852@aol.com in Pleasanton, California said: Dental office salaries are guided by 3 things
#1 How much the office produces
#2 What the doctors over head % for salaries are
#3 And how much experience the person has.

Unfortunately, # 2 normally wins out. The doctor normally wants to stay with in a certain % of his gross production for salaries, as guided by his accountant, which might not have anything to do with your years of experience. Running a dental office is a business, not a service. Doctors no longer get paid with chickens and eggs for their services. Theses guys and gals went to dental school but no one went to business school to learn how to run a business. I have 38 years of experience and had to fight to get every dime I make in a young practice (about 5 years old) after all the doctors student loans, vacations, big house and fancy cars, gym membership and day care, take first place over anything I might be compensated for. Im so ready to retire.

Omg, it is so true!I've been working for this Dentist for many years and since the economy went down the drain. His priorities come first, he told me that his morgage comes first, and not to mention that he is two checks behind in paying his employers!

kokow@hotmail.com in Calgary, Alberta

30 months ago

Alan in Columbus, Ohio said: When I started 7 years ago, I had never actually been to a dentist! The dentist told me that he wanted someone with dental experience. I knew that he had $100,000 in uncollected money so I looked him square in the eye and told him that he did not need someone with dental experience but instead someone with management experience. I came from hotel and restaurant management. Needless to say, I got the job. Today I make double what I started making. But I was willing to start low to switch industries and I have navigated the office from one dentist with a staff of 5 to a three dentist practice and 15 employees!

If you are willing to start small you can work your way into a greater position. I also just asked for a 33% raise because of the recent addition of a third partner and 4 new staff. They said that they will pay me that once we ramp up and are seeing the money come in.

Whatever you said, I totally agreed but only back in the day. Now a day, whatever the owner can use you to get what they want once their business is stable they will hire someone else get you to train them then they say bye bye to you. I seen that a lots and it's actually happened to me. But you know what, in this case it's your business only last within 6mos because the inexperience will mess it up like you said with their account receivable so basically, they think they make the money but they actually damaging their business..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

pissed in Hilliard, Ohio

26 months ago

Amy in Springfield, Missouri said: Thanks for the advice. That makes me really excited for the possible opportunity for advancement.

just a warning to all who want to manage a dental office, most practice owners are cheap as hell! good luck getting what your worth. I have worked in the same office for 13 years. I still only make 18 and hour! I took that office from a paper schedule to traning the entire staff to use a computer, and now finally to using digital x-rays. I also have had to train the other so called "manager" at my other location how to do her job! and she still makes more then i do. I have a coworker who has been in dentistry for 25yrs but doesnt have a damn clue on how to stay on top of her collections!I work overtime, i come in on weekends i work from home, and my boss still doesnt give a damn, I took the practice to over a million dollar production this last year and we wouldnt have come close if it were not for me. Only thing i got for my hard work is the same damn christmas bonus everyone else got, including the lazy coworkers at my failing locattions! If i were any of you, find another industry cause dentistry sucks balls!!

Pat in Indianapolis, Indiana

26 months ago

Amen, you nailed my feelings exactly. The harder you work the more likely you are to fall. I have 32 yrs in this damn business, my fault! I have went in, set practices up, and my current employer after 3 yrs, is adding an associate. Gee how did he get the money to do this?? I quess the dental fairy came to visit him, WRONG!! He now has his friend, male, that I am to teach him my job. He is clueless, arrogant and has a juvenile sense of humor. He comes in with a big smile and tries to do my job, as he thinks it is a piece of cake and has told me so! If I am to train him, and will be gone, all I can say is, watch your empire fall! I want to spread the word, DO NOT GET INVOLVED WITH DENTISTRY! If no one applies for these jobs, maybe they will have to spend more money to find us, or dentistry will go to hell!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

still retired in corpus christi, Texas

24 months ago

PM in Indianapolis, Indiana said: Same thing here, 30 yrs, brand new practice, just out of school, but bringing in as much if not more than those practicing for 25 yrs. Can you believe no Christmas present or bounus this yr! So ready to retire and let them fend for themselves with some bimbo that he pays less for.

I strongly believe some bosses have seeked the advice of an accountant(non-clinical) and this undermines the office in many ways. Its something I have literally heard for my self and it brings a sense of overworked and stressed staff to some offices.

hfortune in San Diego, California

19 months ago

My boyfriend began as a dental assistant 2 years ago, but within 1 year he became the office mangager. He has increased the office income by 20-30K each month. He is only making $13.00 an hour. This seems extremely low to me, especially with the cost of living in Southern California. He's approached his boss before for a raise but has been told he can't afford it. Should he just stay put, get more years under his belt, or move on?

KATHY m in Bristow, Virginia

19 months ago

Sometimes I wonder what dental staff think an office managers job is? If you really are managing the entire office, making decisons, policy, hiring and firing, paying his bills, making marketing decisions etc, then you are ridiculously under paid. If you are "managing the flow in the front office" then thats not really a manager position. $13 an hour in any dental office in San Diego seem grossly low for any job. But here is how you decide. What is his over head? What % of his gross income can he pay back in salaries? Besides the $13 an hour you get, do you get anything else? sick pay, vacation pay? free dentistry for you and your family? he pays a portion of your SS tax and unemployment tax and SDI, so if he ads all the up together he probably thinks he pays you $30 dollars an hour, and may very well be. I worked in San Diego in the front office 29 years ago, I probably mad $13 an hour way back then. You need to do some home work on why you can increase his income by 30K a month, and he can't afford to pay you more.. get the facts, then put it on paper, then present it to him. maybe he has an ex wife, a current wife and 12 kids in college!!! In that case, look for another job sooner than later.

hfortune in San Diego, California

19 months ago

KATHY m in Bristow, Virginia said: Sometimes I wonder what dental staff think an office managers job is? If you really are managing the entire office, making decisons, policy, hiring and firing, paying his bills, making marketing decisions etc, then you are ridiculously under paid. If you are "managing the flow in the front office" then thats not really a manager position. $13 an hour in any dental office in San Diego seem grossly low for any job. But here is how you decide. What is his over head? What % of his gross income can he pay back in salaries? Besides the $13 an hour you get, do you get anything else? sick pay, vacation pay? free dentistry for you and your family? he pays a portion of your SS tax and unemployment tax and SDI, so if he ads all the up together he probably thinks he pays you $30 dollars an hour, and may very well be. I worked in San Diego in the front office 29 years ago, I probably mad $13 an hour way back then. You need to do some home work on why you can increase his income by 30K a month, and he can't afford to pay you more.. get the facts, then put it on paper, then present it to him. maybe he has an ex wife, a current wife and 12 kids in college!!! In that case, look for another job sooner than later.

Thank you!! Yes, he does EVERYTHING. No vacation or sick leave, but some free dentisty. The dentist just gives the same excuse that he can't afford it just yet... I've heard rumors of extreme debt in his personal life, so who knows. Might just be time to move on!

KATHY m in Bristow, Virginia

19 months ago

Right, personal problems in his life take his income and your boyfriend will never be paid what he is worth. I have been in this business for 40 years, retired this year due to moving out of California, but before we moved to Virginia, I asked my boss for a raise based on time working for him, and the value I have been to his office. Was there 3 years. He said "If I pay your more, then I take home less". So they are selfish and arrogant and really don't realize what they are giving up by treating staff that way. My answer to that was, well you do what you have to do, and so will I. It took him a month, but I got my raise. In the mean while I was sending out resumes. Then we moved, and I did not feel bad that I was leaving, and I collected every damn dime of unemployment I could!!!! The dynamics of a family practice has changed, its all about insurance benefits now. Tell your boy friend to try and find a fee for service office, and stay away from chains, HMO, big PPO and other type practices. Better yet, he could work at in and out burger for $10 bucks an hour and not have the stress!!!

reeson47 in Provo, Utah

16 months ago

Does anyone know the average salary for a <a href="www.advantagedentalcentrecalgary.com">dentist</a> in Calgary? Thanks so much!

tsalien in Alhambra, California

14 months ago

Hello, I would appreciate your thoughts on the following dilemma. Last year, my partner and I ventured into a startup dental office. We started out with 0 patients and $500,000 in debt. We both believe in hiring full time employees who will be loyal and stay with the practice for years to come. We obtained enough working capital to be able to hire the right people right away. We devised a benefits package we think is competitive and fair. The following salary and benefits were offered:

Benefits for all full time staff after 3 months probation:
4 paid Holidays (2 days Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year)
$100 monthly stipend to help towards the purchase of health insurance
free dental work, employees just pay for lab fees
guaranteed 40 hour work week for full time staff
After 1 year, we also give 1 week paid vacation days to use for any reason. 2 weeks after 3 years employment and 3 weeks after 5 years employment.
No sick leave (we don't believe in paying for sick leave, they can use vacation days)

We strictly ask they are able to work 2 Saturdays/month
We calculated that we can possibly consider a raise after reaching $60,000 in collections/month.

RDA: starting $14 with limited experience
Treatment/Financial Coordinator: $18 with experience

We believed we hired dedicated ladies to do the job. Our current problem is with our Treatment Coordinator. She had 15 years experience working in the dental field. Her last position was with a slowly retiring doctor for 10 years. She was his "office manager," She did everything in the front. She said she was getting a salary with him but if she broke it down, she was getting $20/hr. She wanted $20 but she'll settle with $19 but we stuck with $18. She agreed to $18 but wanted the office manager title. We mainly needed more of a financial coordiator but gave her whatever title she wanted.

First of all, please let us know if our starting salary and benefits are fair. Thank you.

14 months ago

To continue...

My "office manager" did help us to sign up with all the PPOs and she is a good worker. She is professional but not as friendly as we hoped with patients. She also needed a lot of encouragement to be social and help us with the health fairs. She has improved a lot on the phone, sounding not so rigid. We were contemplating hiring someone better on the phone but didn't due to budget. She was also getting better. She does all the billing, scheduling, and organizing of the front office. I would not call her a true office manager because that is what I do. I am the one trying to keep the peace between her and my RDA. Their relationship have improved. I do most of my treatment coordination because I lacked confidence in her presenting my treatment plans. She has since improved so she is doing more. Her great qualities are at collections and organization. She has great rapport with more patients now (mainly ones she likes). Also, she can't help with the back. She is strictly front office.

We finally hit our $60,000 goal in February and by the end of March, she came to us crying about a pay raise. She was literally crying with tears how it was so hard for her this past year to take such a huge pay cut to work for us. I didn't remind her that she would have lost her job anyways because the doctor she was working for was selling the office 3 months after she started with us. She demanded the pay raise we promised her after 1 year employment. We never promised a pay raise. We said we would consider once we hit our goal to see if we can afford a raise. Plus, we had to make sure we hit the goal for a consistent 3 months to see if we can sustain a pay raise. We told her we'd reassess at the end of April. Well, our production and collection dropped miserably this month down to 40K prod and 49K collections. We drafted a performance eval to consider a pay raise because on average over 4 months, we did do $55,000 collections.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

14 months ago

Sorry this is long...

We are considering to have yearly performance evaluations to see if we can give 3-5% pay increase. We are considering 3% pay raise since the staff did work hard this first year to help us with our startup. My dilemma is really my "office manager" because she felt so entitled to a raise the first month we hit the $60,000 goal. I think she feels she really should be making $20/hr and is expecting a $2 raise. I felt she did a good job for what her duties were but she did not perform office manager duties. My partner and I were the ones who won over the patients to garner referrals and built our office up ever so slowly. At this point, I feel like I need to hire a "real" office manager to help me grow this practice. My dilemma is how to proceed. I don't feel like she has what it takes to be a good office manager. I need someone to help me market and get more patients. My cousin pays his office manager $30/hr but that's because she really charms the patients and really help his practice to grow. His patients ask for her when she's not there. I need a charmer but how would I find one. Also, how do I break it to my current one that I will eventually hire someone to be THE office manager and make her position more of a Biller? By the way, when she cried to me about the raise, she said she may need to get a second job and not be able to work Saturdays. I was highly upset but have not said anything. I plan to let all my staff know that if they can't work Saturdays anymore, I'll have to demote them to part time since I will need to hire someone else to work the Saturdays. I'm trying so hard to be fair and accomodating to my staff but I feel like when we're too nice, we get taken advantaged of. I think I'm reasonable in my assessment but I'd welcome any thoughts/perspectives from the other side. I am planning to give her just 3% pay increase when from a business standpoint, it's not wise for us. Please let me know if its fair. Thanks.

anonymous ofc manager in Brooklyn, New York

14 months ago

tsalien, why did you start out $500,000 in debt? Does that include both partners' student loans? Did you have to buy someone else's existing practice? I realize that there are startup costs such as digital xray setup and other large items depending on whether you are moving into an existing dental office or building one from scratch, but you can't make your workers pay for that. You can't justify paying less because of choices you made. You can buy reconditioned but excellent large equipment for half the price. You also can't justify paying less because of your debts and student loans.
The costs incurred at startup and repayment of business loans as well as student loans should not be factored in with ongoing expenses. Maybe between the 2 of you, you have $250,000 in student loans and $100,000 in business loans and put up $150,000 up front capital toward large equipment, renovations, deposit on rent etc. These things are investment costs that can be recouped at the time of sale of the business, along with a hefty profit tacked on.
Please do not use these things as excuses to "cry poor" to your staff and justify paying less than they may deserve.
Your compensation is not terrible, but it is not great either.
I would love to know exactly how you came up with these numbers. Did you start with your ongoing expenses, subtract them from hypothetical income levels, then subtract what you and your partner "NEED" to put in your pocket annually, and the remaining balance would be distributed amongst the staff?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous ofc manager in Brooklyn, New York

14 months ago

Continued....When you figure out what to pay people, it should be based on what your own income is.
For example, if someone has a small mom and pop store and barely scrapes by paying their rent, only bringing home $20,000 per year after paying rent, utilities, taxes, their employee, inventory etc, even though they work full time, they can justify paying someone minimum wage because that is all they could afford and technically they themselves are only earning a hair above minimum wage.
What is despicable to me is the fact that dentists think it is acceptable to pay people as little as they do, to give them as little benefits as they do, to treat them with as little respect as they do, when they are pocketing over $150,000 per year working only 4 days a week, 48 weeks a year. Many are making over $200,000, $250,000 and more.
The way I see it, if a business owner makes $50k per year, or less, (and I am talking about salary plus profit share, believe me, I’m onto that other little trick of dentists crying poor by telling us they are not even “paying” themselves or that they pay us more than they pay themselves! Do you think we are without any intelligence whatsoever??) they can pay their employees minimum wage. Any employer that pockets over $100,000 a year has no right to pay anyone minimum wage, or even close to that, unless that is the only way to make the $100k. But if you can earn it by working the full 40 hrs/wk, do that instead.
Nobody on this earth should make a million dollars per year or more, unless they have discovered the cure for cancer or something that relevant. Nothing is worth that kind of compensation. Nobody on this earth should even make over $300,000 per year while there are hard-working people working 80 hr jobs that make under $100,000. We are not referring to human remoras that feed off of society, but people who work very hard and do their best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vicdanis in Sacramento, California

5 months ago

sassy81852@aol.com in Pleasanton, California said: I had to give up my 20 year job as an office manager in a fun, well established general dental practice in San Jose, CA to move to Las Vegas on my husbands job transfer. I was making over 70K a year with fantastic benefits. I am intelligent, skilled, and understand all aspects of dentistry and keep up with all the latest. I could not find a job in Las Vegas that paid over 18 dollars an hour for my skills. So I went to work for Macy's and made $10 an hour. I felt I wasn't giving away my skills for $18 an hour. Now that we have had to move back to California, I am again faced with low wages. I have a combined front and back office 37 year career in dentistry , a rare find, all I can say is that I should have gotten out and gone into consulting years ago. I am a very young 57 year old who is facing age and experience discrimination. If you have the chance to go it on your own, DO IT!!! Im employed in a dental office , but have started my own wedding consulting business . Its time to let these dentists fend for them self and their cheap ways.

[I have 12 years at the corporate level and 3 years at the practice management level. I was making nearly $80,000; then the recession hit and the corporate office downsized and I lost my job. I then went to a salary of $55,000 and have not been able to break from that. Unfortunately, I'm back at the unemployment line and am now in my mid-late 50's and I strongly believe my hardship in gaining employment is strongly related to my age. That sucks and not fair!

free willy in New York, New York

4 months ago

Socialist class warfare mentality will get you nowhere in your career. Doctors make more than you because they have a highly desired skill that you DO NOT have. Ever consider getting more education or learning new skills to make yourself more marketable?

We live in a free capitalist society - people get compensated for the value they produce and the skills they bring to the table. Nobody owes you any money or any job - you need to earn it. If you don't like how you are paid, you can always look for a higher paying job.

Before you start ranting about "inequality" why not examine your own short comings and see how you can improve yourself to be more competitive.

anonymous ofc manager in Brooklyn, New York said: Continued....When you figure out what to pay people, it should be based on what your own income is.

Nobody on this earth should make a million dollars per year or more, unless they have discovered the cure for cancer or something that relevant. Nothing is worth that kind of compensation . Nobody on this earth should even make over $300,000 per year while there are hard-working people working 80 hr jobs that make under $100,000. We are not referring to human remoras that feed off of society, but people who work very hard and do their best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy Warschaw in Upland, California

3 months ago

Most office managers feel threatened it's true so they might not train you properly. Please take a moment and stop by our online dental management training institute at www.WarschawLearningInstitute.com . The Warschaw Learning Institute has been training dental management, insurance, collections, communication and HIPAA courses online since 2000. Once you have the knowledge you can rise to any situation, then maybe it's time to go look for a new office. Good luck.

over-it in Gardena, California said: I have a question relating to this in one way or another? I have been a dental assistant , front and back office, for 11yrs. I also have experience in sales, account management. I have been in my current front/ back office position for 6 years. I have always had an interest in Office Management, but am severely underappreciated,and I believe,(along with every other employee there) that I work for one of those office managers who are threatened, and run off any competition. How do I even begin to try and apply elsewhere for OM positions without any direct management experience? She has done everything she can to not show me the ropes, and keep me feeling as if I have no right to even ask for a raise. I have recieved one review (that I had to ask for) and one raise in 6 years! I believe I can perform the office managers job functions, the only thing I really haven't done is payroll, AR/AP? Where do I begin?

hunt4 in rocky mount, Virginia

1 month ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

I have 13yrs experience in the dental field both as an Assistant and Business manager. I have started 2 practices from the ground up and as of recent was making $19.75hr working 33hrs in a 4 day week. My boss let me go because he said he could no longer afford to give me pay raises!! My collection ratio was second to none! We were making over $900,000 in production a yr with my collection being $880,000 the rest was insurance payments outstanding and we had only been open 8yrs in a rural area. We had 2 assistants, 2 hyg, 1 front desk girl, 1 full time dentist and one worked (2) days a week. I did everything else including helping out in the back as well as fixing any and all computer issues including taking them apart for maintenance same with printers and anything else and yes I am a woman! I have a degree in Administration and was never seen or appreciated by the dentist. I started work with him when his practice was still dirt and worked 8yrs. He wasn't from the area and I was, so I helped build what he now has. My advice to anyone seeking work in this field is unless you are the dentist or work in hyg get out!! The last thing I asked my dentist was..was did anything I ever did for you mean anything..his answer was..yes it meant you got paid.

Kathy in Gainesville, Virginia

1 month ago

I would bet this guy comes from a country that has no respect for women or value what they do. I am so sorry you spent so much of your time on this guy. But you watch, probably a lot of his patients where only going there because you worked there.

Him letting you go is going to have a bigger impact on his bottom line than any raise he would have ever given you. He is a fool. And you aren't!!! Good luck in your next adventure.

Kathy

Cathy Warschaw in Upland, California

1 month ago

sassy81852@aol.com in San Francisco, California said: I dont understand where you girls get your figures from. You say last year we collected 100,000.00 yet you say you produced 96,000 a month. None of that adds up, You should be collecting one million, one hundred fifty two thousand dollars a year. If you guys cant add up what you actually do, I wonder what kind of front office manager you really are!!! Come on ladies.

Actually I've noticed that many people responding have spelling mistakes. There are many qualities an office manager is required to have and one of them is perfect spelling. Some of you might have the "title" of office manager, and more responsibilities than a front office staff member should have, but if you went to look for another position in a different office you just might not get it. There is nothing worse than staying in a practice you feel undervalued. Maybe it's time to fine tune your skills and move on. Good luck!

Cathy Warschaw, Director of WLI in Upland, California

1 month ago

hfortune in San Diego, California said: My boyfriend began as a dental assistant 2 years ago, but within 1 year he became the office mangager. He has increased the office income by 20-30K each month. He is only making $13.00 an hour. This seems extremely low to me, especially with the cost of living in Southern California. He's approached his boss before for a raise but has been told he can't afford it. Should he just stay put, get more years under his belt, or move on?

How large is the practice? Is it one doctor, one or two DAs, hygienist? And is your boyfriend not just the OM but the only front desk person in the office? All of this matters. An OM in CA usually would make for a smaller practice overseeing other staff at the front desk around $18-20 for the amount of time he's been working. Sounds to me if he is such a valuable employee he should look elsewhere or work out a compensation plan with his doctor on his collections. Hope this helped and if he's looking for more training please have him contact us at www.WarschawLearningInstitute.com . Good luck!

Cathy Warschaw, Director of WLI in Upland, California

1 month ago

CindyLou in Chicago, Illinois said: Omg, it is so true!I've been working for this Dentist for many years and since the economy went down the drain. His priorities come first, he told me that his morgage comes first, and not to mention that he is two checks behind in paying his employers!

Your dentist hasn't paid you two checks. It's now time to start looking for another job. First of all this is illegal and once this starts he will continue to take advantage of you. There is no growth in this practice. Fine tune your skills and start spreading the word. Before I became the Director of the Warschaw Learning Institute I was an OM. I saw the signs and got out but this was after 6 years and building his business that was in the red when I started. There is no excuse for this behavior. How an employer wants dedication when they take advantage is beyond me. If there is anything we can do to help you, please do not hesitate to contact me at information@warschawlearninginstitute.com

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.