Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 134)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

Dee in Saint Paul, Minnesota

63 months ago

Do you happen to know of any dental job placement recuiters in the Saint Paul, Minnesota area??? I have been looking for a job for almost a year. I have my registration and certification in dental assisting along with over five years office and social serivice experience. I also have been volunteering at a free clinic doing dental assisting. Any comments or input would be appreciate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

sisterpam in Mableton, Georgia

62 months ago

Margaret in Chicago, Illinois said: You are all wrong. I have been working with my dentist for 12 years and it is all
how you define your position and do the things to be done on your job description, and for the person that says dentists are butthead? who owns the business and where does your salary come from, dentists have to think both managing and dealing with their patients so it is disrespectful to say that.
For the past 12 years I have been getting 1 to 2 dollars each year aside from 3T to 5Thousand bonus each year plus free medical coverage and 3 weeks vacation.
Now tell me.

Hi Margaret - I could not agree with you more.... Believe me there ARE great dentists to work for that treat staff amazing ... I just moved here from south Florida and worked at a very small but successful practice for over 4 years. The Dr. was talented and treated all of the staff like family... I know the economy has taken quite a blow, but getting negative will not help you land that great job... There indeed are jerks out there, but the good ones are out there too. If you let yourself become so negative, it will show ... We all know how important our jobs are to a dental office, please, for your own well being, try to stay focused and upbeat ... best of luck to all of us .....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Karen in Stone Mountain, Georgia

62 months ago

You are both right to some degree, however Margaret, no one I know here in Georgia that works as an assistant, expanded dutie or otherwise nor front office, unless office manger make thousand dollar bonuss of any kind, heck we are usually lucky to get a Christmas bonus of a couple of hundred dollars and that is regardless of how productive the office is.. Yes the practice belongs to the Dentist, however with a staff he cant do very much producing can he? You obviously have not been on the other end of a Dentist who was throwing impressions trays at you, or kicking you behind the patients head because you asked him to repeat probing depths, or the wife that stands over you and asks why you need off for your grandmothers funeral, If you have not actually lived any of this, which is all true happened to diffrent people I actually know here in Georgia than dont be critical of someone else and there attitude. I have been on both sides, worked for some people I wouldnt put water on if they were on fire, and on the other hand been treated like family, I can tell you which situation gets the doctor further.. Kindness, and caring not only for the paying patient but for the people who work side by side with them everyday, and whom without they the Doctors couldnt have a successful practice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Good morning Karen - I understand where you are coming from because I did work (for a brief time) for a dds in Wisconsin who was such a lunatic that he should not have even had a license ... my main point was to not let it get you so sour that it affects your ability to convey who you are during the interview process. Our life experiences make us who we today and you have just got to fight the temptation to lump all dentists (and their wives) into one category ....While I am new to GA, I know there is a good office out there for me and will continue to maintain a positive attitude... because if I don't, I will only be hurting myself ... continued success to us all....

Just Relocated to Alpharetta in Atlanta, Georgia

61 months ago

Hi All,

I just relocated (for my husband's job) and was wondering if anyone has any leads for front office jobs. I have 3 years of experience in a dental office and 2 years office experience elsewhere. I have been looking for about a month with no luck. This economy is making it sooooooo hard! ;-( You can reach me at Qayyah@mac.com.

Thanks in advance,

Rahmah

61 months ago

Hi Rahmah - I just sent you an email with a lead for you ....

rrrrrr in Elgin, Illinois

58 months ago

Jackie O in Ringgold, Georgia said: Ah, the ever-missing check stubs......we do not get them either, even though several of us have expressed our displeasure at this oversight. I have to wonder why our doctor is so adverse to giving them to us. If any of us ever need to produce a statement of our income for a loan or whatever, we must ask him to have one typed up for us. It makes no sense, but I have overlooked it for 14 years because it's not worth the fuss he makes when we mention it. I suppose I tell myself that the pay, the position I enjoy and the perks outweigh this one problem. I am curious to know how widespread this practice is.

They probably aren't paying unemployment on you, and are trying to consider you a chartered worker. They will be in alot of trouble if you ever need to sign up for unemployment benefits!

sandi in Houston, Texas

58 months ago

What benefits, what perks???? I suspect they are not paying enough taxes, also, one girl did not have ANY taxes held out. I doubt he is paying unemployment either. I often wonder how long he will get away with everything. I could write a book!! I don't even get a cleaning!!

anne in Brooklyn, New York

57 months ago

It is so interesting to read this forum. I am the wife of a dentist He is a great dentist and person. Our expenses are so high. Running a business is overwhelming to say the least. We both work 60 hour weeks (I as a psychologist). My husband treats staff well. It is awfully difficult to find responsible, capable, upbeat staff. I know of a dentist friend who provided dental care to his employees. Truly, he is an easygoing, nice person. One staff member decided to sue him for poor treatment. When he wanted to fire her, she tried to sue him for that also. Treating anyone in a mean, exploitive manner is terrible. Just wanted you guys to know it works both ways. Good luck to you all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sisterpam in Smyrna, Georgia

56 months ago

I understand where you all are coming from because there are good guys and bad guys out there... I have responded in this forum in the past because I have been blessed working for some of the greatest guys out there.. I was respected, paid well (bonus's also)received superior cosmetic work, generous time off (with pay)etc... I also worked my butt off for these guys in return and ran thier practices like a finely tuned swiss watch...So they are out there. I am working for one right now here in Smyrna and my job will be coming up available to someone else because my husbands company is moving us once again! Hint, hint ladies.....

Desert Staffing in Palm Desert, California

55 months ago

Doctors are not bussiness people. Most don't know how to make their business profitable. Their fees are dictated by the ADA according to zip code. Base on the fees they accept they are able to pay their staff. Add everyones salary in the office for the whole month, including hygiene. Then add up the monthy collections. Divide the staffs salary by collections. The office salary should be 30% of the production. THIS WILL TELL YOU WHERE AND WHO TO WORK FOR Plus if Dr. is over or underpaiding.30% to supplies and lab fees. 25% to rent and payroll taxes and 15% to Dr. If Dr. has too high rent. Still paying student loans, is contracted with the wrong fee schedule or chose his practice in the wrong zip code. You're SOL so out of luck!

Susie in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Every office is run differently as every dentist is different. I'm glad I have a job, but....there is nothing to look forward to, billing for stuff that has not nor ever will get done. Billing in Dec. for what MAY get done in 2010, that is illegal and am sick of it! If economy wasn't so bad, would be outta here!!!

55 months ago

I've been a receptionist for 15 years and never have I heard of such a thing. I can't imagine how awful that must feel. Sounds like the patients and the staff are losing. Only the doctor is winning?

55 months ago

Suzie, I wish you were close. I would help you get out of there.

Susie in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

You mean this is not what most dentists do? This is almost an isolated situation? It goes on all the time and what even surprises me almost as much, most of the patients agree to it so it will save them money!! So dishonest! Have NEVER met or worked for anyone so greedy!! I don't think she's holding out enough taxes either but have no way of knowing because all I get is a check, nothing else.
Beleive me, I'm ready to make a move in my life anyway and that would be one of the best reasons..always wanted to live in Ca.!!

Susie in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

You mean this is not what most dentists do? This is almost an isolated situation? It goes on all the time and what even surprises me almost as much, most of the patients agree to it so it will save them money!! So dishonest! Have NEVER met or worked for anyone so greedy!! I don't think she's holding out enough taxes either but have no way of knowing because all I get is a check, nothing else.
Beleive me, I'm ready to make a move in my life anyway and that would be one of the best reasons..always wanted to live in Ca.!!

x front desk in Mount Morris, Michigan

55 months ago

After reading this forum it makes me feel better that I was not the only one to work for so many bad dentist's. I was in the dental field for 18yrs until last year when I got to meet the rudest dentist ever, needless to say things did not work out after being there for 10yrs. I still have no desire to work for another dentist and I am currently enrolled in school working on my degree. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect!!! Good luck Susie my heart goes out to you.

DeeLee in Saint Paul, Minnesota

55 months ago

Has anyone had a dentist that they thought was a decent person to work for take a turn in the worst way? I gave up my apartment, and two jobs to move back home while fighting to get my diploma, license, and certification in dental assisting. My school didn't help me out at all after I graduated. They had one job posted on their job site that was way out in the middle of nowhere! So, it took me almost a year to find a job working for an endodontics clinic.He would cut me down, belittle,and yell at me in front of all of his patients and other staff. He'd even throw his arms up in the air and wave them around to the point where his patients got scared. I know his staff was scared of him too. His other assistant told me the first year she worked there she's go home and cry herself asleep each night. Why isn't there anything to protect us assistants from this kind of intolerable working conditions? We pay a ton of money for our license and ADAA membership for what???? Anyone have any comments or encouraging words out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

In and Out in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

DeeLee in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: Has anyone had a dentist that they thought was a decent person to work for take a turn in the worst way? I gave up my apartment, and two jobs to move back home while fighting to get my diploma, license, and certification in dental assisting. My school didn't help me out at all after I graduated. They had one job posted on their job site that was way out in the middle of nowhere! So, it took me almost a year to find a job working for an endodontics clinic.He would cut me down, belittle,and yell at me in front of all of his patients and other staff. He'd even throw his arms up in the air and wave them around to the point where his patients got scared. I know his staff was scared of him too. His other assistant told me the first year she worked there she's go home and cry herself asleep each night. Why isn't there anything to protect us assistants from this kind of intolerable working conditions? We pay a ton of money for our license and ADAA membership for what???? Anyone have any comments or encouraging words out there?

I have no encouraging words, except that there are good doctors are there. It just takes time to find the right one. I do believe that it's better to keep moving then to put up the the bull**** these diva and macho man doctors think they can throw at us.

55 months ago

sisterpam in Smyrna, Georgia said: I understand where you all are coming from because there are good guys and bad guys out there... I have responded in this forum in the past because I have been blessed working for some of the greatest guys out there.. I was respected, paid well (bonus's also)received superior cosmetic work, generous time off (with pay)etc... I also worked my butt off for these guys in return and ran thier practices like a finely tuned swiss watch...So they are out there. I am working for one right now here in Smyrna and my job will be coming up available to someone else because my husbands company is moving us once again! Hint, hint ladies.....

Wished I lived in Georgia! Sounds like a great place to work. I don't care if I have to work my butt off as long as I am compensated fairly and enjoy the work environment. It is important to me to perform my job to the best of my ability because the better my performance the more I like doing my job, hence it should enhance my professional relationship with my employer as well.
Gee sounds like a fantasy. ;)

Belle in Fairfield, Alabama

55 months ago

Dentist do the work, but the dental assistant makes the office.......we are the one they met first. Patients will talk to us about there dental and other problems before they talk to the dentist.... So dentist you need to liken up.... "

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Belle in Fairfield, Alabama

55 months ago

Sorry fot the misspelled word I meant "lighten"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Belle in Fairfield, Alabama said: Dentist do the work, but the dental assistant makes the office.......we are the one they met first. Patients will talk to us about there dental and other problems before they talk to the dentist.... So dentist you need to liken up.... "

The funny thing is, dentist are always J---s. We are there for one purpose, we are there to make their job easier. You would think that when a dentist finds a competent assistant he or she would be happy and grateful because they can perform their job without so much stress or drama. Instead most doctors create the drama!!
Don't they get tired of the revolving door hiring?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

You are right! Stop the revolving door, Find a competent assistant and start enjoying your profession with a little appreciation. I think the drama comes from their ego. They are never questioned and experience a lot of "oneness" unlike physicians that work in groups of their equals. They become miserable and lonely and secretly hate their profession. Yes they become jerks but they also become suicidal. Being up on that pedistal with no one to question them has a price. Be their friend ,keep them accountable, don't be the enabler and you will have a much better relationship with your doctor.

55 months ago

Desert Staffing in Palm Desert, California said: You are right! Stop the revolving door, Find a competent assistant and start enjoying your profession with a little appreciation. I think the drama comes from their ego. They are never questioned and experience a lot of "oneness" unlike physicians that work in groups of their equals. They become miserable and lonely and secretly hate their profession. Yes they become jerks but they also become suicidal. Being up on that pedistal with no one to question them has a price. Be their friend ,keep them accountable, don't be the enabler and you will have a much better relationship with your doctor.

I agree, yet some doctors are so miserable their hard to reach and not approachable at all. That's when it's time to leave and find another office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

I never knew a dental assistant to "Make the office" I never knew a patient to call to make an appointment to see the assistant. If they didn't like the doctor they wouldn't come back to see him. I think it's wonderful that you enjoy a relationship with the patients and sad if the doctor doesn't.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

DeeLee, I find it outrageous that schools actually charge what they do. So many of them are much like bartending schools owned by doctors and are looked at as a profitable business. Many states have no requirements or guild lines. They don't care about what kind of assistants they turn out and I think they are ruing the profession. Many states are cutting funding for licensing. Someday we'll all be DA's, Yes the same as if you picked someone off the streets yesterday. So how do you determine pay? I admire girls like you that make personal sacrifices to their profession. You should be compensated for your efforts and sacrifices to your profession just as a hygienist or dentist. The state needs to regulate schools and licensing and girls shouldn’t be allowed to work if they are not registered. They should be required to have CE units just the same as a doctor or hygienist.

Susie in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Yes, there are good dentists out there...somewhere, but the thing is, when someone is fortunate enough to find a good office who respects their employees, they stay. Therefore, all that is left are all the crappy offices for everyone else. I work front desk and what I would really prefer is to only do insurance claims and collections. I feel that is my strength. Have assisted the dentist (princess) to give her a second pair of hands (am not registered or certified) and she got angry trying to show me how to hold the suction...ended up poking me twice while doing RP&S. Now am worried. No job is worth risking your health. OSHA come on by anytime!!

PA GIRL in Red Lion, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

I just wanted to put a word in here. I hope all of you girls (excuse me if there are any men) that posted something on this blog, get a chance to read what I am going to write to you. I am the wife of a dentist. I have been married for 16 years to him and dated him for 3 years. I met him 2 weeks before he left for dental school. I just wanted to clarify everything I am about to say.
First, there were definitely some, educated comments made in this forum. There was one or two people who have somewhat of a grasp of what it takes to run a successful dental practice. The additional comments about dentists that are doing illegal things, I definitely agree that you should find a new job. Working for someone that is doing illegal things is not a wise choice. I also understand in this job market, you may have to stay and bite the bullet until you can find another job. That only makes sense. Do your best in the meantime.
I am posting my comment following the comment from the seemingly educated person who doesn't even know how to use spell check. The comment that dentists are not business people is ludicrous. Yes I am certain , there are some that are not as good as others. But, what I will say is that you have to be HIGHLY intelligent to first graduate from college. Yes, I realize most dental receptionists do not graduate with a bachelor's degree. But, I did forget one thing. First, you will need to graduate from high school with decent grades , in order to get accepted INTO college! Then, you have to graduate from college with decent grades to even be considered for a dental school. The next big step is getting a high score on the DAT. Yes, this test does cost money too.....(that is for the person posting how she pays for her membership in something) Once you have the preceding things lined up, you have to interview. Yes, interview with the school. You must also have solid references to get accepted. So, not only do you have to be highly intelligent, you have to ha

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

you have to have a decent personality to further yourself for the next four grueling years of dental school. After completing that, they then need to pass their boards. Not easy either, mind you! And it costs money!
During all this time of school, yes, 8+ years beyond high school, most students live at the poverty level. While a lot of you were buying new homes, tv's, cars, getting married and having children, dentists put their personal lives on hold for a better future for themselves and their families. I personally lived that way with my husband. I have a college education and was working to support us. My husband also worked when he could. But, we had very little. As a matter of fact, I remember standing in line at the grocery store behind a woman, in a leather coat, nails and hair done. She was buying steaks with food stamps. In our cart, we had ramen and two for a dollar chicken pot pies. That is all we could afford with the cash we had. We were never judgmental about this situation, because we were happy, looking forward to our future together. But, we did notice the abuse of the welfare system that we were paying taxes to support. I also know that we were the happiest in all the years we have been together, during that time. Life was much simpler then.
Now, I want you all to know that I also work. I own a successful business as well. In addition my husband's practice is also doing very well. We both are hard working, honest people. We both try to be more than fair to our employees, but also know that we deserve the fruits of our labor as well. This doesn't always mean having too much stuff, but having what we want and worked hard for. We also make sure we are not living beyond our means.

54 months ago

There were a lot of comments that were unkind and unfair, but I think it is all based in a lack of understanding. So, the post about how dentists are not business people is very disturbing. First, the ADA does not set pricing. They offer guidelines. The dentist, as a business person, decides what he or she will charge. This is usually based on other local dentist's fees as well as what they learn from conferences which, they are required to attend to keep up their licenses. Dental insurance companies set their own fees, which the doctor can make the choice to accept.
In addition, the comments about 30% of the businesses income should be going to the staff's salary is silly. Where did you get this number? What about utility bills and malpractice insurance? What about those student loans you mentioned? My husband came out of dental school 15 years ago with 125K in debt with student loans just from dental school alone. Please do not forget that some dentists are not as lucky as he was because they owe for their college education as well. Some might say he was lucky to receive a ROTC scholarship. Yes, that is true, but then owed our country 8 years of active reserve duty. This included putting dental school off for a year so that he could complete his officer's training in field artillery. Due to recent world conflict, he is not permitted to resign his commission and remains a combat officer in the inactive reserves, this means he could be required to serve his country at anytime and lose his business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Now, he had nothing.... yes, nothing...where do you start working with no office, supplies, equipment and staff? You could work for one of those cheesy dental clinics and get paid next to nothing. My husband did do that for a few months, right after dental school. He didn't get paid enough to buy a practice. And, where do you live when you can barely pay your student loans and living expenses? Yes, you can't buy a house, new car or have children for many years, because you simply can't afford to. Once a dentist has their own practice, has a personality, does good work, and has a decent staff, he or she will begin to make money. Often time, this in their mid to late thirties. So, for all of you who graduated from high school and began working and building a life, this, for dentists is almost 20 years later. They can finally do what you have been doing for the last 15-20 years, building a life. Today, I wonder what the dollar figure is to go to dental school. I know today, college is $100,000 for just a bachelor's degree at a local college. When I went to school it was about $15,000. I am only explaining this so you grasp what kind of debt we had all of those years. If you think dentists don't appreciate you, you certainly can't appreciate what they have been through either. For those of you who did grasp some of it, thank you! For the others, it seems that you are arrogantly entitled. There are people that mop floors for a living that appreciate what they have more than you seem to. I know the guys that collect my garbage at my home are kinder and more grateful than you seem to be. All I do, is give them a gift certificate to a restaurant every Christmas. They have personally communicated their gratitude. So, for the person who commented about the gift certificates, let me explain that if your employer had given you the same money in a bonus, you would have had to pay taxes on it and it would decrease the value of the gift substantially. That is a smart dentist t

54 months ago

Yes, there are a-hole dentists , there are a lot of a-hole employees too. But, you will find that in any field of work. So, you can go to school and find another job. You may find a better work environment, but you might not. If anyone continues to act arrogantly entitled, you can be sure you will find an employer who gets sick of your attitude. Education or not, so, my suggestion to anyone who wants to continue to behave this way, you should start your own business and then you can act any way you want. But, I will bet, you won't find anyone to work for you that you can trust, respect or admire because they will watch your behavior and become arrogantly entitled just like you! Maybe they will demand 30% of your profit? What do you think about that, girls? Maybe they will demand respect and not offer it to you? Maybe they will believe that they are better at running a business than you are? Maybe they will feel that they are not replaceable? Maybe they will call you a butthead or whatever else was mentioned here. I truly do understand that some people are difficult to work with. But, maybe sometimes, it is you that is difficult. If you care about having a job and getting along, get to know the person you work for aside from what he or she presents in the business world. It is frustrating to run a business and very hard work. Believe me, unless you have done it, you have no idea. Add to that, employees that are ungrateful, you really cannot comprehend what you are saying. I am appalled at the idea that you feel that a dentist should offer you holiday pay. A small dental practice is not a hospital and receptionists are not in high demand like RNs. You better believe that your credentials or job is anything close to an RN. What makes you think you should be paid for holidays? Is the dentist that you work for, making money on a holiday?? Run a business and you will know how ridiculous you sound. So, entitled to something you have not worked for....
I truly appreciate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Pardon my break from the first to the second post. I didn't realize there was limited space.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mom 83 in Springfield, Missouri

54 months ago

Wow PA Girl - congratulations on validating the dental spouse stories. I'm a dental spouse of 37-years. I've read this thread with the intention of understanding the concerns of individuals whom have chosen to work in the dental sector. It's our responsibility as employers to provide the best working environment possible and expect, in return, the best work possible. Running a small business is challenging. Just because you have earned a dental degree does not mean management is your forte'. Imagine not having all of the dental debt. Now imagine feeding your family, buying medical coverage, and maintaining an automobile on $18 an hour. It's equally as challenging. We [dentist, staff, and spouse] need to work together to keep the practice healthy and jobs secure during these dicey times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Mom83,
Thank you for searching for answers to staff problems. I found this forum, because I was wondering if we were offering a fair salary for our locality. I was pleased with some posts and horrified at others. Horrified at the arrogant entitlement and lack of thinking thru what one might post, on a website that is available to the public. I sure as heck would want to keep my job and not think I am smarter or more competent than my employer. I would try to consider they are paying my salary and not knock them left and right in public. It is disturbing to me that whoever made these posts, has NO idea what they are asking for in benefits and respect. Respect is earned, you are not entitled to it!
In addition, in our economy, it isn't a smart move to think you are not replaceable and your attitude does not show in person and actions. You may think you can hide it and post nasty, ignorant (please check on what that word means, some girls that are posting)things on the internet with no one standing up and saying, bull----! There were A LOT of kind remarks. Please do not get my intentions wrong. But, there were a lot more that sounded like the people posting not so nice things are the biggest divas on the face of the earth. Everyone is replaceable, including dentists, if their patients do not like them. In addition, staff can turn people off too. I don't care if you think you do not do anything wrong, your attitude shows. No one is perfect, I know I am not, but a kind, gentle approach instead of bashing would be the considerate thing to do. Thank you all for reading this and considering it with an open mind and heart.

Kay in Stone Mountain, Georgia

54 months ago

Wow, applause for the Doctor's wives that found a forum started for dental employees. Is it really so outrageous that dental staff not have a anonymous way to vent to others who share their pain? Maybe you and your husbands are the 1% of dental husband and wife teams that truly just love your staff to death, and just do so much that their staffs never leave. We are not stupid, we understand how to run a dental practice alot more that you might think. As people who have spent years and years of our lives in this field we understand the overhead,and buy ins, and student loans or equipment loans or taxes, however when the building you work out of is paid for, you have two or more homes and vacation every two or three months but cannot offer a bonus system at all, or the best benefit your staff has is three or four days vacation per year, or you don't even offer to provide lunch for your staff for required staff meetings at lunch time,don't expect everyone to line up to work overtime for that new patient that walked in at 4:30 with a broke tooth and needs a crown, hey not that we don't care but we do have children and would like to leave! My current employers wife talks about the grown and some over 50 women in my office her "girls" we are rarely addressed as women, or staff but as her girls this may sound sweet, however when you really don't make an effort to know anything about the people who work with you it comes across as artificial and cold. Having been in this office for over three years my dentist doesn't know my children first names, not because i have not told him, or that he doesn't see them for hyg checks, that is just how

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

PA Girl's Hubby in Red Lion, Pennsylvania

54 months ago

Desert Staffing in Palm Desert, California said: Doctors are not bussiness people. Most don't know how to make their business profitable. Their fees are dictated by the ADA according to zip code. Base on the fees they accept they are able to pay their staff. Add everyones salary in the office for the whole month, including hygiene. Then add up the monthy collections. Divide the staffs salary by collections. The office salary should be 30% of the production. THIS WILL TELL YOU WHERE AND WHO TO WORK FOR Plus if Dr. is over or underpaiding.30% to supplies and lab fees. 25% to rent and payroll taxes and 15% to Dr. If Dr. has too high rent. Still paying student loans, is contracted with the wrong fee schedule or chose his practice in the wrong zip code. You're SOL so out of luck!

Wow! What planet are you from? Let me give you some advice. Put down the copy of Dental Economics you stole from your employer. I think it was Highlights that you should have taken. DE is far above your level of comprehension. As a gesture of kindness, I will translate for you.

First, if total employee compensation exceeds 25% of collections, it should only be due to the doctor's wife, children, or water buffalo (mother-in-law) being on staff and far overpaid.

Second, you left out most of our expenses. How about accounting, utilities, continuing education, office supplies, bank fees, etc. There are far more and they cost way more than you understand.

Finally, if I only netted 15 percent, I would go back to school and learn a trade that would provide for my family better. Did anyone write down the phone number for the home education programs that Sally Struthers used to advertise? Maybe I could do TV/VCR repair...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

54 months ago

Kay,
WOW! I think you either need to go back to school or come back from Oz. How in the world would you know anything about how to run a business when you have longest run on sentence I have ever seen! I am sorry this is going to be a very sarcastic reply. But, I feel it is necessary because it is obvious to me what I am dealing with. First, I see that you are arrogantly entitled by your statement about what dentists should own and how they should vacation. Apparently, you did not get the message when I explained that dentists work hard for what they have. They shouldn't have a staff member that judges their choice of life style but begrudge the fact that they don't provide you with lunch during a staff meeting? So, I will assume, you do not get paid for the lunch hour that you are required to attend. That is unfair, you are correct. But, why complain about what others are working hard for? It seems to me that you are a bit resentful for not getting paid for that lunch hour. I get it.
Yes, it does come across that you don't care about the person with the "broke tooth". Hopefully, your children aren't at home with a broken tooth and need to get it fixed at 4:30. What about the patient? You obviously can't empathize enough and you think it is all about the money that the dentist will make, asking you to stay overtime to help someone. Amazing!

54 months ago

My husband does offer a bonus system in his office. But, it is a calculated figure. Not an arbitrary number. He based his bonus system on total yearly collections. Subtracting 25 % for staff salary. If the staff's salary when added up over the past year, exceeds 25% of production, there is no bonus. But, if the salary, when totaled is less than 25% of collections. He divides that amount up among his employees. So, if someone is overpaid, or milking the clock, it will affect everyone's bonus. How would you suggest to do it?
Also, does your dentist, that does not know your children's names, know all of his patients names without looking at their chart? Do you know all of their names without looking at their charts? That seems to me a lot to ask for. While I am not saying, he should know all of his patients names, nor should you. But, maybe, just maybe, he is forgetful. You may be assuming that he just doesn't care. He might not, but he might care and just can't remember!
Also, in our country, you absolutely have the right to free speech. But, my original advice was given on a public forum. I simply saw enough complaining to inspire me to write from a different point of view. Isn't that what public forums are all about? I am sure you can figure out how to start a private forum if your need to keep what you say, to only people that are employed in the dental field. In doing so, you may save people their jobs if their employer ever discovers their comments in a public place.

Kay in Stone Mountain, Georgia

54 months ago

Whatever, PA girl and hubby, Correct the grammer all you like, if this is your new favorite hobby enjoy! Justify all you want, it seems you may the most perfect people with the best practice ever. I have a feeling, your staff if they had the freedom to do so, may feel diffrent. I have personally worked in dentistry for many years, I spent over 12 years in a incredible practice where staff was at least allowed to think that what they thought, in practice changes,small decisions even their opinion regarding new hires mattered. Our practice did not include the Doctors wives however. They had their own careers or were raising children. Doctors do behave diffrent when they do not have wives watching the every move they make. This does NOT mean, anything inappropriate is going on... which most wives assume if they do not work in the office daily. What is does mean, the Doctors start to actually eat lunch with staff, ask them about their family or plans for the weekend and the like. The staff memeber start to see their employer for an actually living breathing person who may CARE about them, in turn they do the same to him or her. It build a better bond for people who work side by side daily. In the long run, staff that feel as if they matter DO work harder. They really go the extra mile. The staff that is just that, a 8-5 staff, with little more, and poor office morale, will NOT make for a profitable practice at least not in the long run. So, go ahead have a ball correcting my grammer and sentence structure... it should make you ever so happy... BUT if you actually read the content iT could possibly help you understand. Also, just to make sure you understand I have had a toothache, all day in my office and my Doctor knew I was in pain, really really suffering.. it was only at 5pm when he was ready to leave did he offer to even give me anesthetic. The next day, I had to call in sick to have a root canal, by a specialist when I found one to see me. I have PLENTY OF empATHY!

Jenny in New Port Richey, Florida

54 months ago

PA GIRL in Red Lion, Pennsylvania said: Kay,
WOW! I think you either need to go back to school or come back from Oz. How in the world would you know anything about how to run a business when you have longest run on sentence I have ever seen! I am sorry this is going to be a very sarcastic reply. But, I feel it is necessary because it is obvious to me what I am dealing with. First, I see that you are arrogantly entitled by your statement about what dentists should own and how they should vacation. Apparently, you did not get the message when I explained that dentists work hard for what they have. They shouldn't have a staff member that judges their choice of life style but begrudge the fact that they don't provide you with lunch during a staff meeting? So, I will assume, you do not get paid for the lunch hour that you are required to attend. That is unfair, you are correct. But, why complain about what others are working hard for? It seems to me that you are a bit resentful for not getting paid for that lunch hour. I get it.
Yes, it does come across that you don't care about the person with the "broke tooth". Hopefully, your children aren't at home with a broken tooth and need to get it fixed at 4:30. What about the patient? You obviously can't empathize enough and you think it is all about the money that the dentist will make, asking you to stay overtime to help someone. Amazing!

You assume because someone wrote a run on sentence that they know nothing about running a business?

Now where is the logic in THAT?

Susie in Houston, Texas

54 months ago

Please don't compare offices, as we all know, they are different. I work at a dental office that bills for treatment never rendered, keeps the extra money if Insurance overpays, no benefits whatsoever, no vacation, no sick days, not even a cleaning. I am only still here because I have to have a job and with the economy and my hours, is next to impossible to find anything right now. I drive 44 miles a day in bumper to bumper traffic. I'm not looking for sympathy or pity. It is what it is.
Red Lion, you seem to have the need to prove something. Get off your "high horse".

54 months ago

Not on a high horse. It seems as if Kay did not read my first post. I do not work in my husband's office. I run an internet company and have for 7 years. I have my own employees, one of them read my post and read what the other people were saying on this forum. She just shook her head. I will too.
The logic in the run on sentence would be the lack of ability to write, therefore, maybe not educated to the extent a dentist is. My original post was written due to the comment from the person, who said, "dentists are not business people" and then went on and on about how much she knew about running a practice. Looks like a lack of intelligence to me. It isn't just a typo, or a few missed words, it is a lack of ability to look at the whole picture, which is what I was trying to explain, in the very first post I made. Just defending the educated, intelligent people who have given you employment. Sorry, if you don't agree. Go back to dental school, graduate, then complain all you want about how difficult you feel you have it and how miserable you are. Maybe, after you did all of that, you might just FALL off of your horse! Glad you don't work for me or my husband.

54 months ago

PA GIRL in Red Lion, Pennsylvania said: Not on a high horse. It seems as if Kay did not read my first post. I do not work in my husband's office. I run an internet company and have for 7 years. I have my own employees, one of them read my post and read what the other people were saying on this forum. She just shook her head. I will too.
The logic in the run on sentence would be the lack of ability to write, therefore, maybe not educated to the extent a dentist is. My original post was written due to the comment from the person, who said, "dentists are not business people" and then went on and on about how much she knew about running a practice. Looks like a lack of intelligence to me. It isn't just a typo, or a few missed words, it is a lack of ability to look at the whole picture, which is what I was trying to explain, in the very first post I made. Just defending the educated, intelligent people who have given you employment. Sorry, if you don't agree. Go back to dental school, graduate, then complain all you want about how difficult you feel you have it and how miserable you are. Maybe, after you did all of that, you might just FALL off of your horse! Glad you don't work for me or my husband.

I find your attitude very condscending.

I was a dental assistant. For a long time. Worked for some great Dr.s Worked for some where I was sexually harassed, screamed and yelled at on a daily basis, had instruments thrown at me. I could go on and on.

The bad ones were those who led to my decision to leave the profession. Even though I loved assisting. It was a sad and tough decision for me, but I feel that people should be treated with respect. Bottom line.

I went on to start a very successful business, and I that's where I am today. I continue to visit this forum b/c there is a part of me that still misses this line of work. Or so I thought.

This is a good example of why I got out. Point made and enough said.

54 months ago

Jenny, I am sorry that you were treated that way by the dentist you worked for. No one should be, I never ever thought that or said it. But, what I found offensive is the comments made by the girl in CA. She lumped all dentists into a category in her comment "dentists are not business people". If you read all of my comments, I complemented a lot of you on your comments and insight. That is respectful. Not lumping everyone into a "stupid" or money hungry mongrel category. She then, went on explaining how a dental practice should be run and what percentages should go to what in the business. I simply feel that way overstepping any boundaries of respect. You are obviously, the kind of employee that we would hire. Someone who genuinely loved what they did. Even in my business. If you have employees, you understand that no one should call you "not a business person" and then go onto telling you how to run your business. Especially, you wouldn't want them doing it in a public forum. Certainly, you should be able to speak out about your abuse, so that others know that it can happen, and to watch out for it. Since, often times, people do not recognize it and then become unable to stand up for themselves or leave, because they fear it is their fault. I don't think any of your comments were inappropriate. However, the Desert Staffing CA girl, has written some of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. She is condescending to all dentists in her posts. Please take a moment and read what she has written. We do not have to agree about this, but that is the original reason, I posted anything here. Thanks for reading what I had to say.

Desert Staffing in Rancho Mirage, California

54 months ago

Boy you are just insulting everyone you can. This is a forum to help one another by learning from other peoples experiences. To gain a bigger understanding…..What is your point other than insulting everyone? Dr's are clinicians and when to dental school not business school.. Connect the dots.. Is that to much for you to understand ?

54 months ago

anne in Brooklyn, New York said: It is so interesting to read this forum. I am the wife of a dentist He is a great dentist and person. Our expenses are so high. Running a business is overwhelming to say the least. We both work 60 hour weeks (I as a psychologist). My husband treats staff well. It is awfully difficult to find responsible, capable, upbeat staff. I know of a dentist friend who provided dental care to his employees. Truly, he is an easygoing, nice person. One staff member decided to sue him for poor treatment. When he wanted to fire her, she tried to sue him for that also. Treating anyone in a mean, exploitive manner is terrible. Just wanted you guys to know it works both ways. Good luck to you all.

You took the words out of my mouth.. How do we find good staff so we can enjoy our professions?

54 months ago

Times are tough... Please don't quit your job. I posted a job for an office and had the most quilified applicants respond in groves. It is what it is. Keep looking till you find your place to call home

54 months ago

I realize things work both ways. There are good and bad employers, and good and bad employees.

Some dentists are not very business-minded at all. One office I worked in we would constantly run out of supplies. Dr. would always wait till the last possible second to order anything. And then it was our fault when we ran out of stuff.

Once, the electricity was shut off in the middle of the day b/c the Dr. did not pay the bill. Happened in the middle of a crown prep. Nice.

There were weeks we had to practically beg for our checks and pray they didn't bounce. The office staff kinda made it into a joke...who could get to the bank first. At least we were able to keep our sense of humor most times about the situation.

Totally ridiculous working conditions. There needs to be some sort of accountability or oversight of the working conditions and also, these things affect patient care.

The last office I worked at I lost 6 lbs. in three months because I rarely had a chance to eat lunch. One day he told me to grab a quick bite. I no sooner sat down, then he opened the door and started screaming at me, why didn't I pour up some models before I went to lunch. Um, duh. You just told me to go eat. And the funny thing was we were forbidden to pour up models when we had patients in the office b/c it was "too noisy." The guy was a total nut case.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.