Top desktop support technician skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every desktop support technician must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your desktop support technician expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

Hugh Chardon in Boston, Massachusetts

77 months ago

Linear thinking.
Know the OSI model.
Have confidence.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in South Africa

67 months ago

I have apply for the position:IT Technicain and meet all the entry level requirements.What question shouled expect with this position,given the specs that
Duties and responsility are:
Provding desktop support the company user base
Running backups,Network support administration,add,removing user accounts
Installing new hardwarw software,configuring

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

The Keeshond in Thompsons Station, Tennessee

67 months ago

Also, one thing that will distinguish you over the majority of your peers is a commitment to customer service. There is really too much to know to know it all, and anything can be learned. What is really lacking in today's IT market is accountability, perseverance, honesty, and humility. Actually, that could be broadened to just about every industry, but since the "Gold Rush" of the late 90's, the market has become saturated with people just looking to make a buck. As a result, the overall quality of service from the IT industry has plummeted, and unfortunately, HR personnel and managers are rarely aware enough to recognize the poor jobs these people are doing.

Basically, just be aware that you can be as brilliant as the sun, but if you take care of people and are straight with them, that really puts you on a different level in this industry. It has almost gotten cliche, how everyone advertises the very traits I mentioned above. Back it up with substance, however, and over time, you will excel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in AZ in Queen Creek, Arizona

66 months ago

I would personally agree with The Keeshond, but the reality is HR people and many recruiters put much more emphasis on Certs and resume "keywords". I almost never get the jobs where I interview for HR or Recruiters 1st. I get most (almost all) my jobs when I interviewed directly with the hiring mgr. I have gotten away with bad interviews where I've said "I don't know that answer" or I don't remember the procedure. The hiring mgr can see thru a bad interview or memory on the interview and can tell who has the experience to do the job. The problem is - how to get by the recruiter or HR people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ed Tech in Boston, Massachusetts

60 months ago

The top skills in Desktop Support is.....Soft Skills and Customer Service.

It has been suggested that in a number of professions soft skills its more important over the long term than technical skills, I personally believe this because that's how I got into Desktop Support.

Anything else after these important skills can be learned. Desktop Support is about using common sense and research. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

wyattw01 in Oak Park, Michigan

60 months ago

I feel the top things that all the recruiters or HR people seem to ask for is certification and reliability. They don't know if you have the skills or not because you don't get to that spot in the interveiw if you don't have the cert. I have twenty years of IT experience and we didn'tneed a cert. back tghen but now everyone want one of some kind or another, this is unfair.We have the skills to make a computer walk across the floor but we are not certified so for get it. Some are doing credit checks, what dose that have to do with the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

outofworksincenov08

59 months ago

The reason for certification as an example the Microsoft cert. is they give discount to employer when buying software from Microsoft. This is the incentive that Microsoft made to get employer to train their employees. Well this is not the time when employer want to train their employee they want the employee to have those certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Wyatt Williams in Oak Park, Michigan

59 months ago

I understand the reason behind certification, But when you intered the field in the days before certification and been working for almost twenty years now they want certification. The classes are not cheap and when you're out of work and on the street you can not aford to take classes when every dime you find is for food and shelter. If you have a proven record of skills and work habits they should go on your performance not the perks they can get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Wyatt Williams in Oak Park, Michigan

59 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every desktop support technician must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your desktop support technician expertise?

You need to have a proven work record of skills and professional ethics. Ref. from people and companies you have done good or outstanding work for. And above all you need patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Miami, Florida

59 months ago

I have a A+ and a 2 year degree in Networking, will a N+ allow me to get a job as a Desktop Support worker?

I have about months total experience but all contract positions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Wyatt Williams in Detroit, Michigan

59 months ago

No amount of certification will get anybody a contract job, you must be in the right place at the right time. Patient is the only key. I have been a contract worker since 2006 and my contact office is in TX and PA it took patient. You could be the best tech in the country but if you are not there when the jobs come in what good are you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.