Getting a desktop technician job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

How did you get your start doing desktop technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Johnny Carr in San Diego, California

32 months ago

My first job as a Desktop Technician was at a resort in Santa Barbara. I was currently a valet who needed to go out for knee surgery and was about to be out of work. I had taken several Microsoft Office classes at the City College and I was interested in computers. Also, during my employment I had met the Comptroller for the resort so I brought him my resume and he placed me in the IT dept where the manager was about to go on maternity leave. I helped out doing all sorts of menial tasks, but I learned a lot and was a dedicated team player. I then transferred to SDSU and a student position at the University was open. When I applied, they were happy to have someone with basic IT help desk skills and more importantly, knew how to interact with all levels of personnel. I graduated a few years ago with my degree in Business Management, but the University wanted to keep me on so they made an offer which was good enough.

Through my daily work and through my yearly reviews, I am constantly reminded of how important and valuable my customer service background is to my employment. Certifications help, as I got a raise after getting A+ and Security+ certified, but just doing my job and learning off the clock have been the most beneficial to my career advancement.

I'm currently looking for my next career move, however, I really enjoy keeping it 'simple' and I like just fixing broken things. The natural transition would be to move to a Systems Administrator or some sort of management position but I'm not ready to sit at a desk and go to meetings all day. I think I'll start studying and go get a vendor cert to help when I move out of SD. Good Luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Johnny Carr in San Diego, California

32 months ago

Johnny Carr in San Diego, California said: My first job as a Desktop Technician was at a resort in Santa Barbara. I was currently a valet who needed to go out for knee surgery and was about to be out of work. I had taken several Microsoft Office classes at the City College and I was interested in computers. Also, during my employment I had met the Comptroller for the resort so I brought him my resume and he placed me in the IT dept where the manager was about to go on maternity leave. I helped out doing all sorts of menial tasks, but I learned a lot and was a dedicated team player. I then transferred to SDSU and a student position at the University was open. When I applied, they were happy to have someone with basic IT help desk skills and more importantly, knew how to interact with all levels of personnel. I graduated a few years ago with my degree in Business Management, but the University wanted to keep me on so they made an offer which was good enough.

Through my daily work and through my yearly reviews, I am constantly reminded of how important and valuable my customer service background is to my employment. Certifications help, as I got a raise after getting A+ and Security+ certified, but just doing my job and learning off the clock have been the most beneficial to my career advancement.

I'm currently looking for my next career move, however, I really enjoy keeping it 'simple' and I like just fixing broken things. The natural transition would be to move to a Systems Administrator or some sort of management position but I'm not ready to sit at a desk and go to meetings all day. I think I'll start studying and go get a vendor cert to help when I move out of SD. Good Luck.

Also, educational background is not important for entry level work. You need to be able to interview well and demonstrate basic knowledge of how computers work, how printers are connected, how an IP address can be found, how to upgrade memory or swap a hard drive, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.