What do you enjoy most about your Desktop Technician career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a Desktop Technician? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

creg in Andover, Massachusetts

99 months ago

I like the seemingly endless variety of day-to-day problems to solve. I enjoy helping customers fix their computer or software issues so they can be the best they can be for their job. I like the satisfaction of putting in a full day of work and the gratitude of a happy customer. It is a challenging job, to be sure.

What I like the least about being a desktop support technician is how unexected problem can mess up my schedule in my personal life. Planning to take traing in classes, going to the gym on a schedule or even eating lunch or dinner at a predicable time can be a throw of the dice. I almost always eat lunch while working. It's just the nature of the job for me.

The opportunities to learn or advance depend on the company to which you work. Some companies have great training opportunities and others have little to none at all. I enjoy my work as a technician and do not particularly relish the fact that I may become a manager in the future if it means giving up the technical involvement in fixing problems. If anyone reading this post has progressed to a manager from a desktop tech, you may want to enlighten the rest of us on what to expect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.