Rad Tech School Questions 101

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Dene' in Franklin, Tennessee

96 months ago

I'm a stay-home mom and considering returning to school at 40 for Rad Tech. Is it possible to study part-time? Are there many part-time jobs then available once you've graduated? Rad-Tech vs. RN Associate . . . any comments? Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tracy in San Ramon, California

96 months ago

There are some evening/weekend programs out there. I don't know that you will find a part-time program. These programs are both intense. I was formerly in the RN program and withdrew because I HATED it. A lot of miserable nurses, family of patients, crazy doctors, and then the patients can sometimes try your patience. The beauty about being a Rad Tech is that once you are finished with the patient, you are DONE. No worrying about hanging IV bags, giving shots, dealing with administerings meds.

I am applying to a Rad Tech program. I have heard a lot of good things about it. There are many areas you can go into. It is more difficult because you also go to school during the summer.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Albuquerque, New Mexico

96 months ago

Dene' said: I'm a stay-home mom and considering returning to school at 40 for Rad Tech. Is it possible to study part-time? Are there many part-time jobs then available once you've graduated? Rad-Tech vs. RN Associate . . . any comments? Thanks!

Hi Dene -
My name is Cathy and I am a rad tech registered in radiography and CT. I worked at a level one trauma center for 15 years, but now I work at the ASRT (American Society of Radiologic Technologists).
If you have questions about scholarships, salary information, etc, just let me know and I will be happy to help you.
Also, for a list of accredited radiography schools, I would recommend a visit to the JRCERT website at www.jrcert.org I'm not sure if there are any part-time training programs, but I do know that part-time jobs are available after your training.
Anyway - if you have questions, I'll be happy to help. My e-mail address is csmith@asrt.org and our website address is www.asrt.org
Have a great weekend
Cathy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Albuquerque, New Mexico

96 months ago

Tracy said: There are some evening/weekend programs out there. I don't know that you will find a part-time program. These programs are both intense. I was formerly in the RN program and withdrew because I HATED it. A lot of miserable nurses, family of patients, crazy doctors, and then the patients can sometimes try your patience. The beauty about being a Rad Tech is that once you are finished with the patient, you are DONE. No worrying about hanging IV bags, giving shots, dealing with administerings meds.
I am applying to a Rad Tech program. I have heard a lot of good things about it. There are many areas you can go into. It is more difficult because you also go to school during the summer.
Good luck!

Hi Tracy -
I commented on Dene's question, but I wanted to make the same offer to you. I am a rad tech registered in radiography and CT. I now work at the ASRT, so if you have questions about training programs, scholarships, salaries, etc, feel free to contact me. I'll be happy to help.

Cathy Smith, RT(R)(CT)
csmith@asrt.org
www.asrt.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Scc in Bridgewater, Massachusetts

94 months ago

Dene' said: I'm a stay-home mom and considering returning to school at 40 for Rad Tech. Is it possible to study part-time? Are there many part-time jobs then available once you've graduated? Rad-Tech vs. RN Associate . . . any comments? Thanks!

Hi,
I'm 41 and just went back to college. I'm taking the pre-req's for the rad tech program. It is very intense. For me it has been a struggle just to keep up & full-time studying. You have to love science! Scc

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Dallas, Texas

90 months ago

i got accepted in Radiologic Tech program here in texas..anybody will help me to understand the prospect of this career path in the future...based on my research it suppose to be excellent but i found out some people have an impression that the market is saturated...i am 41 years old now. thanks for help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

john in Dallas, Texas

90 months ago

Cathy in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: Hi Dene -
My name is Cathy and I am a rad tech registered in radiography and CT. I worked at a level one trauma center for 15 years, but now I work at the ASRT (American Society of Radiologic Technologists).
If you have questions about scholarships, salary information, etc, just let me know and I will be happy to help you.
Also, for a list of accredited radiography schools, I would recommend a visit to the JRCERT website at www.jrcert.org I'm not sure if there are any part-time training programs, but I do know that part-time jobs are available after your training.
Anyway - if you have questions, I'll be happy to help. My e-mail address is csmith@asrt.org and our website address is www.asrt.org
Have a great weekend
Cathy

hi Cathy..thank you for this e-mail..i am right now 41 and got accepted in rad tech program here in dallas. would you explore me more about the prospect of this career including the salary information for new graduate...i did some research and i found out it is a good career but some people have impressions that the market is saturated..which one is true? would you share your experience and wisdom. thks so much

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

George in Hemet, California

84 months ago

Dene' in Franklin, Tennessee said: I'm a stay-home mom and considering returning to school at 40 for Rad Tech. Is it possible to study part-time? Are there many part-time jobs then available once you've graduated? Rad-Tech vs. RN Associate . . . any comments? Thanks!

You have to be in school full time, there are lots of jobs after school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

juniorfanrab in Grand Rapids, Michigan

68 months ago

I am a registered technologist in Michigan. I have been working on-call for a level I trauma center for almost a year. Michigan is flooded with technologist and I have been serching for a full time or even part time job in my area since I graduated.
I absolutely LOVE this job. If you are willing to move I have noticed more jobs opened in other states. I am unable to move and really love where I live.
It may be helpful to do a little job searching before you commit.
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lyn in Dallas, Texas

64 months ago

am a stay at home mom with just a high school diploma and now wanting to do Rad Tech but l dont know how to go about it and do they take people without degrees start from 0

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RedRad in Dallas, Texas

61 months ago

I would go for the RN, there are plenty of jobs out there for RN's. Rad tech jobs- not so many, the market is flooded pretty much nationwide.
Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.