Radiation therapy school?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Melissa in Maumee, Ohio

25 months ago

I graduated with a 3.8GPA in 2010 from a radiologic technology. I have been searching and searching for an x-ray tech job with no luck. I feel like I am forgetting everything and getting so discouraged about finding a job. It's been 2 years now! All of my friends have either went back to school for something else or moved far away. At the time I graduated I was unable to move for a job but in March I will be able to move. I really want to go back to school for radiation therapy but I am afraid the same thing will happen with not finding a job. Should I go for the 1 year radiation therapy program, wait until march and move to clevland or somewhere with better chance of finding a job, or go to school for something else? I have a 9 month old and I cant afford and don't want to be in school for more than one year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Maumee, Ohio

25 months ago

oop!s radiologic technology PROGRAM sorry!

MOTU in Alton, Illinois

25 months ago

Cardiac and/or Vascular or general Ultrasound have the most openings right now. I did my training with the Army reserve and stayed an extra year on active duty to get more experience before I went back to my reserve unit. I got registered but not having a degree was really killing me. Big hospitals here in STL wouldn't even give me the time of day.

Here is what I had to do: So I was on unemployment (luckily) after getting out of the Army. I got a part time job working as a film runner for portables. It paid next to nothing, but I put on my happy face and made friends. I did this for 4 months until one of the immature, 21 year old techs got themselves fired for showing up late all the time. Too much partying... Good for me. So I applied and worked part time being a tech. Someone else left to go to Ultrasound school full time so I took their place.

Moral of the story-- getting in is the hard part. If you have to take a crap job working in laundry, dietary, or as a lowly film runner that some brain dead retard can do-- go for it. There will be a place for you sooner rather than later. That's my story. That's how I got here.... the hard way.

Melissa in Maumee, Ohio

25 months ago

Yes I have seen a lot of openings for cardiac and vascular US techs around here too. The only thing is I would have to go through the whole 2 year program because of the clinicals. I've already talked to a program director about it. I really wish thats what I would have went to school for before. I don't think I can do another 2 year program with a baby and it would make my other schooling pointless. But yes I agree about getting any crapy job to get my foot in the door so recently I've been looking for something like that as well.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.