Top diesel mechanic skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every diesel mechanic must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your diesel mechanic expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

The Man in Prince Frederick, Maryland

98 months ago

always be willing to learn,no matter how good you are or think you are.
know electrical
and last but not least,Make damn sure you dont have two left hand's

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Paul Newman in Mansfield, Ohio

98 months ago

Be (patient!),don't let Difficult situations get the best of you.Sometimes you just got to walk away for a minute or two,get a brealth of fresh air,regroup.
Systems and/or components that you run into that give you problems and that you don't understand,take time out of your off schedule to (learn!) about them,how and why they function and what causes them to fell.Try to prepare yourself with a little more ammo for your next encounters with these problems. Pay full attention to your job.Get good detail of operater's complaints.(Pay attention!) to procedure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

M C in Brisbane, Australia

98 months ago

bla bla bla

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (51) Reply - Report abuse

M C in Brisbane, Australia

98 months ago

on the weekend i am goin to the pool

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

Alen Jackson in Medford, Oregon

95 months ago

blawwwww

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

SCOTT MCHENRY in Lima, Ohio

94 months ago

LISTEN TO THE OLD GUYS,THEY MAY BE OLD BUT THEY HAVE BEEN THERE LONG BEFORE YOU AND HAVE MADE THE MISTAKE ALREADY.AND IF YOU GIVE THEM SOME RESPECT,MAYBE THEY WILL SAVE YOU SOME HARTACHE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Kimmeh in Rugby, United Kingdom

86 months ago

Indeed x

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Dave in Rootstown, Ohio

82 months ago

To the Know-it-all's who feel the need to disrespect someone who is just trying to help those of us that are interested, I have one thing to say: Shut up and grow up!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Redwelder in Victorville, California

79 months ago

Realize you will always be learning this trade.....after 28 years as a master mechanic and welder there is a world of knowledge to aquire. It has never been the greatest paying work either but many of us do this because we like it and have become very good at it.....we can always work on something somewhere.........

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

pjizzy in Minneapolis, Minnesota

79 months ago

I am going to enter my first year of heavy truck technician school. The program will cost around $11,000 for two years not including tools. Is the program worth the money?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

freekingedge in Rootstown, Ohio

79 months ago

As most employers are seeking "entry-level" mechanics with a "minimum of two years experience," and usually school can be counted as experience, it sounds like a deal. I recently graduated from a one-year program which cost, including tools, $12,000. Does your program include a CDL class? If so, you're better off getting a Class A license. Most dealerships will require this. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

The program i am enrolled in is a two year A.A.S. degree but doesn't include at CDL class. I was planning on getting my class A over the summer between the first and second year. Do some employers pay for your CDL or is that needed before you can even be considered for a job? Thanks for the info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

consider this before going to school.....my friends wife who has no work experience just went to school to be a registered nurse it took 4 years and now she is working 60 hours a week....@ 37.50 per hour...........I dont know anybody in So. Calif. that is a truck tech with 25 years experience that makes more than 27.00.......... Loma Linda University is the school she went to...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

freekingedge in Rootstown, Ohio

79 months ago

Some employers might. I recently spoke to one that offers to train an employee for class b license(it was a school bus garage), but the employee is responsible for licensing fees. This is something you would have to discuss with prospective employers.
Some companies will hire you without your CDL, though they may expect you to get them within a certain amount of time.
Have you checked with your local employment office about programs to help with tuition? The local office here has a program called 'Workforce Investment Plan,' or 'WIA,' That pays a set amount towards tuition. I think it pays up to $10,000.00 here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

very good idea. I will check with my local employment office to see if there are any programs available. I could never do the nurse thing. Something about cleaning a grown persons ass doesn't sit well with me. I would rather be elbow deep in grease then elbow deep in poo. Nobody enters this industry to become weathly, I just want to get an accurate gauge on the costs so i'm not too far behind when I start a truck tech career. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

yes,I couldnt do the nurse thing either.....my ex boss's wife worked for Kaiser hospital as top x-ray tech.....she is payed 50.00 per hour...........at least mechanic wages are coming up some, in 1982 at Cummins Service and Sales 161 East Valley blvd Rialto Calif....Machinist union top pay Journeyman mechanic .....was 10.50 per hour and we payed union dues and to join......as a very good family friend told me a long time ago....to make any money in this business you have to specialize....and I agree he was right, good luck to you all.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jacobhutchins in Wheatland, Wyoming

72 months ago

What are the best skill to now about diesel mechanic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

wannabe in Craig, Colorado

72 months ago

1.)Persistance pays off, dont let the puzzle problems get you.

2.)Experience comes from bad choices, learn to ask,know your fleet and keep up with technology.
3.)Careful inspection before diagnosis. Dont forget the small insignificant things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JOSH in Bolton, United Kingdom

45 months ago

Dave in Rootstown, Ohio said: To the Know-it-all's who feel the need to disrespect someone who is just trying to help those of us that are interested, I have one thing to say: Shut up and grow up!

THATS TWO!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

kenny in Dover, New Hampshire

45 months ago

why did you say that?idid NOTdisrespest anyone all iwanted was some help and by the way iwillnotshut up for no one!!!!
whothehell are aknowit all??merry chistmassass hole

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.