what's the job situation really like for an RD?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

csmochilera in Kalaheo, Hawaii

32 months ago

I keep running across different boards where supposedly the field is growing quickly yet people can't find jobs due to a lot of different things... was just wondering if registered dietitians have problems finding jobs? I'm sure that right out of school I wouldn't be able to find the perfect job.. and I understand that pay isn't that great.. but in general if I become an RD will I be able to get a job?? If not, why and what could help my chances? I'm fine with moving for a job so that shouldn't be an issue.. but I was just wondering if there's anything else I should be aware of.. such as politics involved in getting a job.. or the catch-22 where you need experience to get the job but can't get the experience.. ??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

rhuganir in Lowell, Indiana

28 months ago

yes exactly

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Karlise in Ephrata, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

I honestly have never had trouble finding work as an RD and often have more work than I can handle! My first job out of school was really low paying..you may have to accept that. Also maybe doing 2-3 part time jobs for a while, but many will lead to full time if you stick it out. I have been an RD since 1999 and sure the economy is tough now, but you can't lose hope. Make as many contacts as you can and keep them fresh. Do as many things as you can as an RD, always volunteer to learn new skills and help out other departments.I think getting a masters' degree also helped me a lot!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.