Getting a direct care worker job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

Host

How did you get your start doing direct care worker work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

SONYA MADISON in Detroit, Michigan

109 months ago

HOW DO I BECOME CERTIFIED TO BECOME A DIRECT CARE WORKER. DO THE GROUP HOME OR JOB SEND YOU THROUGH TRAINING.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Coral M. Williams in Detroit, Michigan

106 months ago

32600 Concord Drive. Apt 504.
Madison Heights. MI 48071
248-588-1527.
I am currently seeking employment in Oakland County for in home elderly care, and for the handi-caped...
I've recently taken my Clients Rights and Due Process classes. I need CPR...
as well a 40 hour work week.
If there is any in home care avalibal in your registry, please contact me at number above.
Thank you.

Reply - Report abuse

Francine Pacely in Inkster, Michigan

101 months ago

I WANT TO BECOME A DIRECT CARE WORKER HOW DO I DO IT

Reply - Report abuse

sischristian_ in Hoyleton, Illinois

81 months ago

SONYA MADISON in Detroit, Michigan said: HOW DO I BECOME CERTIFIED TO BECOME A DIRECT CARE WORKER. DO THE GROUP HOME OR JOB SEND YOU THROUGH TRAINING.

I have enjoyed being in this field for over 20 yrs while raising our children. It has been my experience that alot of places will train the persons wanting to work in this field as well as keep up the employee training while they are there on a yearly basis, such as CPR, First Aid, and whatever the company need to maintain quality care for their clients.Giving individuals a better quality of life has been my personal goal as it is with the companies that I have worked with.~ I believe a person has to have the right temperment to deal with individuals and it can be the wrong field for those that do not have the temperment for it.

Reply - Report abuse

claresa in New York, New York

77 months ago

I don't know about any other state but in NYC, you could go to Bronx community college and take a direct care worker course. There are also other schools that offer these courses and similar courses. I would think other state have these courses too but maybe NY is different. As others have said most companies will train there workers. In NYC, you have to be a hha, cna or ma in order for to be considered for a position. Then you go through a 1 or 2 week on the job training. After about a month or so of working for company, they will train you in cpr, amap and scip.

Reply - Report abuse

Erica Lewis lives in New York, New York

72 months ago

I'm currently searching for a job in Direct Care and I've spent hours looking different websites to find the right organization and status for employment.

Reply - Report abuse

clare in Norristown, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

In NYC, Yai, Lifespire, AHRC, and Maranatha human services are all hiring for direct care workers. For all these companies you have or it is at least encouraged to have a current hha, cna or ma certificate. Especially yai, lifespire and AHRC you have t o have at least 6 months to a year experience as hha or cna. The more experience the b etter chance you have to get hired. Maranatha is more likely than the others to hire you with less experience. lifespire and AHRC both hire thru workforce one. You can go to any job website and find jobs for yai and Maranatha has an ad on Craigslist. Its pretty easy to get into the field. I have a hha, cna, and ma certificate. I started direct care when I got laid off 2years from a well
paying office manager job. Now I work for a nursing home part with tbi individuals and I work for a temp agency doing direct care. There is alot of work for direct care workers and they pay is better the hha. Once you find a good company, stay there.

Reply - Report abuse

crystal in Alma, Michigan

68 months ago

i have a little over two years experince in the direct care work feild and i am seeking full time in harrison, michigan area if there is any openings please contact me at my address is as follows: 601 Eola Rd Harrison, mi 48625

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Damon in Grosse Pointe, Michigan

67 months ago

I Don,t Know Where To Get training At Need Help Would Like To Get In A Nice Field

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

sheripink in Rockaway Park, New York

60 months ago

I AM A H.H.A. I WANT TO APPLY TO WORK AT YAI TO BE A DIRECT CARE WORKER DO I NEED THE TRAINNING?

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.