What do you enjoy most about your director of finance career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being a director of finance? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Pauline in Davenport, Iowa

83 months ago

I enjoy all the different areas that I need to work in. I monitor all the inflows and outflows of cash. Because of this I always analyzing in my mind how the business can financially afford to pay for everything. It is a challenge to be able to piece all of the puzzle pieces together. The only thing I don't like is when someone really wants an item that isn't in the budget and I need to tell them no we can not afford it. It is similar to telling a child no to the puppy dog in the window. That can be difficult telling someone no when you see they truly need an item that isn't in the budget.

The next opportunity for me would be to move into an Executive Director position as this would be the next step up the career ladder. However, I don't want to take this route as I enjoy the accounting/finance aspect of understanding how to reduce expenses and increase revenue. I also work in a nonprofit organization and we have a mission to keep our business alive for society. That keeps me at my job as my business has a higher purpose.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.