Long periods of waiting....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Dan in Pensacola, Florida

62 months ago

I am an HR professional with extensive background in retail operations. My strenght areas in HR are:
1) My ability to business partner with the operational group.
2) Exceptions results in Performance Management.
3) The ability to put a internal posting system in place that improved management diversity.
4) An applied background in Labor Relations, to include managing all aspects of union issues, grievances, mediations, arbitrations and issues presented to the NLRB.

Now having given you a glimmer of who I am, am I the only one who is experiencing long periods of waiting once you been recognized by a potentional employer. I also made it a point to react quick when I came across a qualified candidate for a position. But in todays world it seems that business are waiting on something to happen. Or is it that what I am seeing is the effects of a depressed economy?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mojo in Warminster, Pennsylvania

62 months ago

I am in the same boat. I got laid off from corporate America last April and there has been very little activity for full-time jobs. Instead, I am trying to do consulting and contract work which I actually prefer. I believe it is the economy based on past experiences where I too, jumped on good candidates. Good Luck to you.

Dan in Pensacola, Florida said: I am an HR professional with extensive background in retail operations. My strenght areas in HR are:
1) My ability to business partner with the operational group.
2) Exceptions results in Performance Management.
3) The ability to put a internal posting system in place that improved management diversity.
4) An applied background in Labor Relations, to include managing all aspects of union issues, grievances, mediations, arbitrations and issues presented to the NLRB.

Now having given you a glimmer of who I am, am I the only one who is experiencing long periods of waiting once you been recognized by a potentional employer. I also made it a point to react quick when I came across a qualified candidate for a position. But in todays world it seems that business are waiting on something to happen. Or is it that what I am seeing is the effects of a depressed economy?

Shelley Owens in Fort Pierce, Florida

62 months ago

An employment writer for eight years, even during boom times highly-qualified job applicants complained to me that they never heard back from the human resources departments at employers to which they had applied. This happened despite a three-percent unemployment rate at the time and what were apparently worker shortages. I am sure the problem has only become worse as the unemployment rate remains in the double digits.

Let me also remind you that you should not give an HR person any reason to screen you out such as misspelling and poor grammar, even if it is only on the internet. Write your posts in a word processor; make the spelling and grammar corrections there, then cut and paste your post to the internet.

I wish you both the best of luck and would encourage you to seek out assistance from your local One-Stop or Workforce Solutions. Not only might they get you the money to study for a PHR or SPHR certification, when they need to add staff, they hire HR professionals ;)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

R.E. White in Avon, Indiana

61 months ago

I feel your pain and also agree with Shelley O from P. Fla.

I have spent extensive time crafting, recrafting, and tailoring my curriculum vitae and cover letter for advertised positions to no avail.

It is extremely frustrating to invest this amount of time and effort in response to job postings that seemingly mirror your qualifications.

As an HR professional who has been on the other side of this table, I can only commit myself to ensuring that once I regain employment in my field, I do not allow this to happen to prospective candidates.

In Regard to Shelley O's response, I have to say that your posted comments do not reflect the professional, polished, communication skills employers expect from candidates.

This communication is the first opportunity to present yourself. It should equally reflect your communication skills along with your education, background and experience.

I too wish you and all the others sharing this commiserate experience well...

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.