Maxed out in salary - help !

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (27)

Mark in Ohio

78 months ago

I recently maxed out in my salary after some 30+ years of service. No raise for me this year! I have received excellent evaluations consistently for the past many years. I do not want to leave my job,it's agreat place to work. However, I still feel I should have been recognized somehow besides a pat on the back for my teamwork and leadership role.
What are companies doing out there for employees for people like me in the same situation ? Ignoring them or giving out what other type recognition for their many years of excellent service ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Stamford, Connecticut

78 months ago

Stop whining.
You're lucky you have a job and they haven't dumped you for being older or restructured you out of a job or outsourced your job to a foreign country.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Bowling Green, Kentucky

78 months ago

Joe - You must be very young and very immature person to make comments like that. You should be embarrassed.

Mark - The maximum salary for a position should increase by a percentage each year and your increase would match this percentage. If the maximum salary does not increase yearly, you should speak to your top HR person about this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Stamford, Connecticut

78 months ago

Dear Naive Kelly:

You must be living under a rock sheltered from what is really going on in the US job market, honey. I suggest you keep up with current events.

Your answer may have had some substance 10 or 20 years ago, but this is 2008.
After 30 years of service the man is lucky to have a job at all. It is common practice of major employers to force employees over the age of 50 into retirement with a severance package. They refer to it as "restructuring" so they won't get sued.

If anyone should be embarrassed, naive Kelly, it's you. Wake up and smell the coffee and try staying current with what is really happening in the US job market. Your job may be outsourced or restructured next! LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Mike in Vienna, Virginia

77 months ago

Mark- Kelly has a point- normally reanges do move either annually or biannually (lately it has been 2-3%). In some cases if ranges have not moved then an alternative is to grant a lump sum in lieu of an increase. Note- managers with a fixed merit budget may not feel compelled to reward employees who are at the top of the range as this value is above "market" (e.g., replacement value) for the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

E. Tracy Christian in Baltimore, Maryland

77 months ago

Retire. I had the same thing happen to me after 28 years of service. I was persued by a Family office and I accepted their offer. My salary increased by $5,000. and I am loving life. Put your name out there and let people know you don't come cheap.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

An HR Director in North Port, Florida

73 months ago

Pay is based on the value off the JOB not the person holding the job. If you are unhappy in your current position, or your pay has reached the maximum allowable for the range of the position, it may be time to consider another position. Ramp up your skills and apply internally for something else. If that is not something you are willing to do either grin and bear it or move on. Loyalty may have been important 30 years ago, but it doesnt exist anymore. Just because you have held the same spot for years doesn't mean you are the best. Your "historical" knowledge doesn't guarantee that you are prepared to meet future demands of the business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe Ramirez in Universal City, Texas

69 months ago

Both sides are correct: I have been laid-off and the reason is age and salary - though you couldn't prove it or want to spend the time in my case. I know cost to the company is the issue since the company President mindset and informal practice was to move in younger talent at a lesser cost as is reasonably possible. This was going on before and after I was there. By the way, I was the VP of HR, and have worked for 3 divisions of different Fortune 500 companies. I was paid very well to clean up a mess and then I was laid-off due to "deteriorating business conditions". It is what it is - I am not crying in my soup, everyone just needs to go in with their eyes open. In terms of pay ranges, a company's pay systems may be out of whack due to compression. Be very careful how you go about collecting information or raising the issue since people will notice you asking if you do not already have the information in hand. Use a benchmark job, do an informal salary survey to compare (use SHRM) then run ratios and you should be able to see the patterns - just a quick handed way to do this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bob in Huntington, Indiana

69 months ago

Mark in Ohio said: I recently maxed out in my salary after some 30+ years of service. No raise for me this year! I have received excellent evaluations consistently for the past many years. I do not want to leave my job,it's agreat place to work. However, I still feel I should have been recognized somehow besides a pat on the back for my teamwork and leadership role.
What are companies doing out there for employees for people like me in the same situation ? Ignoring them or giving out what other type recognition for their many years of excellent service ?

When someone maxes out on the salary scale, we add perks and annual lump sum bonuses which are not added to the salary base. The person never goes above the salary max, but may end up with an annual membership at the local golf club or monthly movie tickets to a local theater, or even an equivalent 3% lump sum payout that doesn't go into the annual compensation category, but is part of
employee recognition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Columbia, Maryland

69 months ago

Joe Ramirez in Universal City, Texas said: Both sides are correct: I have been laid-off and the reason is age and salary - though you couldn't prove it or want to spend the time in my case. I know cost to the company is the issue since the company President mindset and informal practice was to move in younger talent at a lesser cost as is reasonably possible. This was going on before and after I was there. By the way, I was the VP of HR, and have worked for 3 divisions of different Fortune 500 companies. I was paid very well to clean up a mess and then I was laid-off due to "deteriorating business conditions". It is what it is - I am not crying in my soup, everyone just needs to go in with their eyes open. In terms of pay ranges, a company's pay systems may be out of whack due to compression. Be very careful how you go about collecting information or raising the issue since people will notice you asking if you do not already have the information in hand. Use a benchmark job, do an informal salary survey to compare (use SHRM) then run ratios and you should be able to see the patterns - just a quick handed way to do this.

Joe,

I was also recently laid off after almost 7 years with an organization as a senior level employee. Approx. 5 months ago, I hired an Assistant Director and finally got one after 4 years of asking. The company went through a lay off and I was one of the employees to be laid off. My Assistant stayed on and is now assuming my responsibilities. She is also not experienced and qualified enough to lead a dept. I have since found out that the dept. is sinking because of my absence. I strongly believe there was some form of discrimination that I am thinking seriously about pursuing. How can you keep someone who is a trainee, and lay off the experienced, loyal employee?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joe ramirez in Universal City, Texas

69 months ago

Cindy: you state "I strongly believe there was some form of discrimination that I am thinking seriously about pursuing. How can you keep someone who is a trainee, and lay off the experienced, loyal employee?"

They can keep anyone they want for any reason. In terms of filing suit, unless you have pictures of people doing things with small animals I suggest you forget about filing anything. The past 8 years of government have seen fit to cut off any avenues for recourse - you get what people vote for. You can forget about filing because the relevant governmental agencies will not support your efforts, and the courts have been packed with judges that would never let you get any further. I know it is not right, but that is the way it is. By the way state laws are more restrictive than federal as general statement.

I wish I could be more positive for you, but I know the situation I describe to be true because I have not had to worry about employment related lawsuits for a long time when I am consulting to companies. My integrity is the only thing I can enforce, because "management" can get away with murder. I am not angry, just not expecting anything to change until the current crop of judges die off. I assume the new administration will be more sensitive, but the previous legal rulings are not going away and you know the Federal Circuit Courts or the Supremes are not going to over-rule themselves.

Lexie in Keller, Texas

68 months ago

Last year 2008 I was told by my Manager that I was not getting a wage increase. This had nothing to do with my review. It was to do with the company being sold and a new review cycle was being introduced. My manager also told me that the wage budget he had to work with was lower than he expected. So since the previous year 2007 I was reviewed in October he decided that anyone reviewed after June the previous year had to wait until 2009 for there increase. It was also told to me that I would be well compansated for my troubles. Well last week we received a email from the CEO of the company that a company wide freeze was in effect due to the economy. I would like to know is this legal? Am I getting screwed again?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

joe ramirez in Universal City, Texas

68 months ago

Lexie in Keller, Texas said: Last year 2008 ... Well last week we received a email from the CEO of the company that a company wide freeze was in effect due to the economy. I would like to know is this legal? Am I getting screwed again?

Lexi:

You got screwed, but it is legal. No company has to give you a pay raise for any reason at any time unless you have in writing - a contract. A verbal is subject to "conditions have changed".

wyll17 in Wendover, Utah

65 months ago

I HAVE BEEN WITH MY COMPANY FOR 24 YRS. I WAS SUPERVISOR WITH THE RESTURANTS. THEY CAME TO ME ASKED ME IF I WOULD GO TO A NEW PROPERTY, TO GET THEM UP AND GOING. THEY YOU ARE THE HIGHEST PAID SUPERVISOR (FIRST CLUE).I SAY YES BUT IF IT DOESN'T WORK OUT, I WOULD LIKE TO COME RIGHT BACK TO THIS PROERTIES RESTURANTS. I GO UP THERE FOR A YEAR, THERE GOING NOW. THEY COME TO ME SAYING WE ARE ALIMITNATING MY JOB AND PUTTING SOMEONE OVER BOTH PROPERTIES. THEY DON'T OFFER ME TO GO BACK TO THE OTHER PROPERTY BUT TELL WE HAVE AJOB FOR YOU ASAP IN PROMOTIONS BUT CAN'T PAY YOU THE SAME PAY. SO I GO TO PROMOTIONS FOR 4 1/2 YEARS. NOW THEY COME TO ME SAYING WE HAVE TO CUT PROMOTIONS AND BECAUSE YOU WERE ONE OF THE LAST HIGHERED IN THAT DEPARTMENT WE HAVE TO CUT YOU. WE HAVE A JOB AT THE OTHER PROPERTY IN THE RESTURANT GRAVEYARD BUT WE CAN'T PAY YOU THE SAME PAY. I NOW HAVE ANXIETY,I CRY GETTING INTO THE SHOWER,I CRY WALKING THE PARKING LOT,AND I FEEL I'M IN HELL. THEY SAY BE LUCKY YOU HAVE A JOB, THEIR RIGHT. THAT STILL DOESN'T HELP MY FEELINGS OF SELF WORTH. I HATE IT BECAUSE I WATCH OTHERS GET AWAY WITH MURDER, WHO STILL HOLDS THOSE JOBS.

Joe Ramirez in Universal City, Texas

65 months ago

I would strongly suggest you go to a good labor attorney since I believe you have cause. Find an attorney who will take it on contingency before paying a retainer. Start with the EEOC before spending any money and go Federal versus State. Focus on previous promises implying a work contract, age discrmination based on pay and seniority (eliminating the higher paid person) and construcitve discharge (moving you around to create working conditions so that you would quit of your own accord). Good Luck.

By the way, you are the first I have seen here that has cause.

Johnson24 in North Versailles, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

I am a compensation manager for an organization with 6500 employees and a defined structure to job classification and salary grades. If someone is maxed out according to the structure (we do a review every fiscal year and make adjustments) we grant them a onetime bonus based on the general annual increase guidelines. It does not "rollup" to the base salary (jobs do have a value range, but at least allows the employee to be recognized for their individual contribution.

Rachel in Poca, West Virginia

61 months ago

I have worked as a medical transcriptionist for 24 years. Last year at raise time, the Transcription Department did not get anything. Management did not discuss this with us before the raises were given. When we asked why we did not get a raise, we were told we had "maxed out." We are all over 50 and it is evident they would love it if we would quit. We are excellent employees, loyal and efficient, but that does not seem to matter anymore. Also, this year at raise time, every employee in the office were given performance evaluations (first time in 24 years), everyone EXCEPT the Transcription Department. We were never approached for an evaluation. Of course, no raise. No "you are doing a great job, a good job, a terrible job!" NOTHING. I'm not sure how to feel about this. I guess it is all about the MONEY.

Tammy Wayman in Proctor, West Virginia

61 months ago

Rachel:
I am so sorry, I agree with the last comment, I recently took a low paying job (just for the good insurance benefits) four months ago in media because my husband knew something was going to happen in his work place, and this week it did...They literally laid off the whole place except 4 workers. My husband has been working there for at least 16 years.
Working in the media, I see and hear the effects of this ecomoncy and its not getting any better. There has been numerous lay-off all ready in our community, with possible more to come.
Many people are looking for jobs, and

Tammy Wayman in Proctor, West Virginia

61 months ago

Rachel:
I feel for your frustration, but you really have to be thank full you are working right now
I recently took a full time low paying job (just for the good insurance benefits) four months ago in media because my husband knew something was going to happen in his work place, and this week it did...They literally laid off the whole place except 4 workers. My husband has been working there for at least 16 years.
Working in the media, I see and hear the effects of this ecomoncy and its not getting any better. There has been numerous lay-off all ready in our community, with possible more to come.
Many people are looking for any kind of jobs and they are few and far in between now. I know that doesn't help you situation, but you can count your blessings also.

Jim Adamczyk in Cranberry Twp, Pennsylvania

61 months ago

While I agree ever job has a certain range of value it is possible to "maxout" However the organization can give you a one time payment as a bonus, and not roll it into your base pay. Therefore you are "maxed out" but still have a avenue for some reward for excellent performance. As for the review process, you should be able to contact you HR Department, assuming you have one, and have them mediate.

Karen in Carrboro, North Carolina

61 months ago

Rachel posted this comment 16 months ago. Obviously, this is a hot button for many people. I have read through all the comments, and there is nothing more to say that hasn't already been said (although I do agree with the people who suggested some could have been a little more courteous in their responses.)

It's a scary time right now, and it is easy to become angry, fearful and unhappy. May I suggest a book for those of you that feel trapped. It's called "The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne. It's an easy read (but a bit more challenging to follow, especially for the pessimists out there.) But if you can follow the suggestions, it could make the difference. A friend recently recommended it to me. He left corporate life and started his own business 3 years ago, and used the book as his guide. He is very successful and happy today. He feels that the teachings in this book were the key to his success!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john in Auburn, New York

55 months ago

i was recently fired after 28 yrs for poor job performance. i was a a top employee for that long never calling in sick in 23 of those yrs [ that's right not once ] but 3 months after a new director took over i was fired for some questionable mistakes , the next day i was hired back . she said she wanted to give me another chance . then over the next three months she trumped up a lot of insignificent issues on me . i called my human resources director and told him i thought she was out to get me. i expressed my concerns to him but was fired again 3 months later . i went through union arbitration after 7 months which i lost and was portrayed as an arrogant man with total disregard for the rules [ absolutely untrue ] . do i have any recourse or do i just give it up? i was a good employee and i know she was told to trim her budget ,but this is how she does it . i'm so sad to lose a job i cared about and it's so unfair . i also work in the healthcare field i don't feel like anyone went to bat for me. the union lawyer never even called me until 2 weeks before the arbitration to prepare me. i feel it was a very half assed attempt to clear my name

Al in Gilbert, Arizona

43 months ago

You're all a bunch of entitled, clueless sheep.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Saint Albans, Vermont

43 months ago

Joe in Stamford, Connecticut said: Stop whining.
You're lucky you have a job and they haven't dumped you for being older or restructured you out of a job or outsourced your job to a foreign country.

Joe,and Mark you can always try to work from home and build your own business. Mark you can still work the job you like and build a residual income if interested let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed in Mahwah, New Jersey

35 months ago

Mark in Ohio said: I recently maxed out in my salary after some 30+ years of service. No raise for me this year! I have received excellent evaluations consistently for the past many years. I do not want to leave my job,it's agreat place to work. However, I still feel I should have been recognized somehow besides a pat on the back for my teamwork and leadership role.

I totally agree with most of the comments above. I will give you my experience and you will see how VERY LUCKY YOU ARE! I didn't have an increase since 2008. In 2009 I had to take an 20% decrease in pay. I lost my match on my 401(k) and had to go to a much lower level of health benefits for the same cost. I finally got 10% back of my pay 14 months later. A few months after that I got the rest of my salary back. There was no salary makeup for the money I lost. Then in January of this year, I lost my job because I was making too much money. I have been looking for a job every since.

So to be a max means you are making what the job is worth to the company. No one has chained you to your chair, so you are free to leave and see if you can do better. I will be lucky if I come close to what I was making and I pray everyday that this will not happy to me again.

So I agree, stop whining that you are at max. You have received pats on the back which doesn't always happen. You can't have it both ways. A salary structure is a salary structure and it appears that you have been rewarded on an ongoing basis over the years.

I would thank my stars that I work for a great company and count my blessings every day. When you start feeling unappreciated, think about what it would be like unemployed in this economy and over 40. It is not fun.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

june in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

Cindy in Columbia, Maryland said: Joe,

I was also recently laid off after almost 7 years with an organization as a senior level employee. Approx. 5 months ago, I hired an Assistant Director and finally got one after 4 years of asking. The company went through a lay off and I was one of the employees to be laid off. My Assistant stayed on and is now assuming my responsibilities. She is also not experienced and qualified enough to lead a dept. I have since found out that the dept. is sinking because of my absence. I strongly believe there was some form of discrimination that I am thinking seriously about pursuing. How can you keep someone who is a trainee, and lay off the experienced, loyal employee?

Sounds like age discrimination to me. That's what I'm going thru now. I am the oldest in my departmnet & all my work is being scrutinized. I am being reprimanded daily! I have been doing the same job for 10 years.

aasi in Wembley, United Kingdom

24 months ago

My brother recently started working in a halal meat counter in one of supermarket let say ASDA. he worked there for three weeks nearly sixty hours. The owner a asian guy told in the start that first 2 days will be training and he will not pay for that. first 2 day my brother worked 9hours/day. 18hours in first 2days with out any break.
he worked there 8 days in total. in the next 6 days he worked nearly 40hours altogether. on the 9th day the told him to go back saying "u r not working well"... my asked them to pay 40hours but they refused saying "u didn't work well and we haven't done any documentation"
Know i want to seek legel help for this unjust behaviour...any body can suggest any thing
regards
aasi

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.