What are typical dock worker salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

paul in Monterey Park, California

85 months ago

what is the average hourly pay for a dock worker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Carlton Martin in Indianapolis, Indiana

85 months ago

Host said: Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

How long will it take before someone contacts me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Pieter Bruinsma in United Kingdom

20 months ago

I am employed as a Stevedore in the UK. My duties include the loading and unloading of cargo from ships. This may be anything from bulk cargos, such as coal and fertiliser to wood and steel. We also work on the docks, operating FLTs, cranes, tugs and other heavy equipment.
Our hourly rates range from £6.50 per hour to £12 per hour, dependant on the job requested. The average salary can rangefrom £15000 to £35000 per year.

In the UK, we are required to undergo some basic training:

Port Health and Safety (2 day course)
Slingers and Banksman Course (2 day course)
Medical (within the last 5 years)

Most ports will make these mandatory requirements for a Stevedore.

You can also also train to the NVQ Level 2 in Stevedoring Essentials.

If you want to increase salary I would recommend aquiring a Fork Lift Truck certificate, Tug Masters Certificate and if possible a crane operators certificate. You can also look at getting a Skid Steer Certificate.

All these will no doubt provide you with more work and a bonus of receiving a skilled pay rate.

Unlike our american collegues we are not part of unions (unless you want to voluntarily join one, UNITE is the current union that represents dock workers).

You will rarely find jobs on docks with guaranteed hours, some weeks their may only be 2 or 3 days of work, and some weeks you may not get any time off whatsoever.

Safety is paramount when working on the docks. Drugs and Alchohol are strictly forbidden (YOU WILL BE RANDOMLY TESTED FOR DRUGS AND ALCHOHOL, SO DRINKING OR DOING DRUGS AT ANY POINT BEFORE, DURING OR AFTER A SHIFT WILL BE PICKED UP BY THE SPOT TESTS AND DISMISSAL WILL BE INSTANT)

I love my job as a dock worker and recommend this to anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.