Career Change Into Healthcare

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

Chris in Indianapolis, Indiana

98 months ago

All, I am looking at my options in healthcare. I am 45 yrs. old and don't really know where to start. Probably looking at some sort of Technician career. Should I go entry level, MA, Lab Tech, Aid just to get a feel for whats out there? I would probably excel more with labs and more hands-on training. Don't think classrooms and bookwork are for me. Any suggestions would go along way. Thanks in advance.

Chris in Indy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

98 months ago

hey

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

ya in Mesa, Arizona

98 months ago

I think that EKG techs have on the job training if you don't want to go back to school and deal with the books.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MM in Scottsdale, Arizona

98 months ago

If you decide to go for EKG tech OJT, on the job training, you should look for medical assistant in a cardiology office. Most Hospitals will require some previous experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

LAKISHA BUSH in Port Arthur, Texas

98 months ago

I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR AN EKG TECH AND NOW I AM A CERTIFIED EKG TECH BUT I HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A JOB.THEY SAY THE DEMAND IS HIGH BUT I HAVE PUT IN SO MANY RESUMES AND DID SO MANY APPLICATIONS TILL IM BOUT READY TO GIVE UP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

kbana in Danville, Indiana

97 months ago

Chris in Indianapolis, Indiana said: All, I am looking at my options in healthcare. I am 45 yrs. old and don't really know where to start. Probably looking at some sort of Technician career. Should I go entry level, MA, Lab Tech, Aid just to get a feel for whats out there? I would probably excel more with labs and more hands-on training. Don't think classrooms and bookwork are for me. Any suggestions would go along way. Thanks in advance.

Chris in Indy

I live west of Indy. I have worked in a hospital for 5 years as an Ekg tech. Love it. I am now looking to get certified but cannot find no schools that certify in Indiana. There is MCi or PCCTi in Illinois I am looking to get info about....anyone out there can tell me how these schools are with there ekg, cardio and phlebotomy classes??? Since I do work in the hospital setting already and looking to get certified, plus take the cci testing. Are theses schools accredited for these classes??? I only read about there altrasound classes on the board, but nothing about the other classes. Are they well in depth with knowledge you need? Thanks,,anyone!!!!! Keri

96 months ago

kbana in Danville, Indiana said: I live west of Indy. I have worked in a hospital for 5 years as an Ekg tech. Love it. I am now looking to get certified but cannot find no schools that certify in Indiana. There is MCi or PCCTi in Illinois I am looking to get info about....anyone out there can tell me how these schools are with there ekg, cardio and phlebotomy classes??? Since I do work in the hospital setting already and looking to get certified, plus take the cci testing. Are theses schools accredited for these classes??? I only read about there altrasound classes on the board, but nothing about the other classes. Are they well in depth with knowledge you need? Thanks,,anyone!!!!! Keri

Where did you get your EKG Training.

Chris

95 months ago

Keri,

You still out there? I live in Avon and am looking to break into the healthcare field. Don't know which field though. Lots of avenues. Which hospital do you work for? Would it be beneficial for me to work at a hospital in an entry level capacity just to get a feel for whats out there? Let me know.

Chris

kbana in Danville, Indiana

95 months ago

Hi Chris...I work at the Danville Hospital. What area are you looking to get in. Yes, there are many, but you will need to find an area you would enjoy. I am looking at going to the pccti for the ekg tech training to get certified and be able to work at the heart centers. I work as an ekg tech now but I am not certified. I have asked on this site a couple times what any thought of there ekg program but no one ever let me know. It would be nice to find someone that has gone through that program to tell me if it is good or not. Indiana doesnt offer any programs for the stress tech training which sucks. I really dont want to drive 3-4 hours every weekend for class but I will if it is worth it. Anyone..again...please let me know if the pccti ekg /stress tech training class is worth it.
Chris..just went back and reread your post....if you want to start as an aid or you can also start out as an ekg tech ( would only be prn) keep checking on there site for jobs available at the hospitals. There are a few in which you dont need training beforehand.
Keri

94 months ago

kbana in Danville, Indiana said: Hi Chris...I work at the Danville Hospital. What area are you looking to get in. Yes, there are many, but you will need to find an area you would enjoy. I am looking at going to the pccti for the ekg tech training to get certified and be able to work at the heart centers. I work as an ekg tech now but I am not certified. I have asked on this site a couple times what any thought of there ekg program but no one ever let me know. It would be nice to find someone that has gone through that program to tell me if it is good or not. Indiana doesnt offer any programs for the stress tech training which sucks. I really dont want to drive 3-4 hours every weekend for class but I will if it is worth it. Anyone..again...please let me know if the pccti ekg /stress tech training class is worth it.
Chris..just went back and reread your post....if you want to start as an aid or you can also start out as an ekg tech ( would only be prn) keep checking on there site for jobs available at the hospitals. There are a few in which you dont need training beforehand.
Keri

Keri,

I am thinking about taking some free CNA classes this week. A place is offering them this Wed. I think this would be a start for me to see whats out there. Money is no issue right now, just direction. Any idea of what a CNA does? I have heard of them, but that is all. You had mentioned in your earlier post about some hospitals offering positions as Aids or Non-trained EKG Techs. Do most hospitals around here post those positions on their job boards? You have been a big help. Thanks for your advice.

Chris
Avon

keri in Danville, Indiana

94 months ago

Hi,
Where are they offering free CNA classes?? I need to update my card since it has been 8 years working as a CNA.
You can find job info in any hospital website under their career page.
Let me know soon on that cna class...thanks..keri

94 months ago

keri in Danville, Indiana said: Hi,
Where are they offering free CNA classes?? I need to update my card since it has been 8 years working as a CNA.
You can find job info in any hospital website under their career page.
Let me know soon on that cna class...thanks..keri

Keri,

The classes are actually next week. Wed. the 19th at Golden Living Training Center. 8460 Bearing Drive, Suite 300. Its around 86th St and Georgetown Rd. There is a number, but I haven't been able to get through. I think I will go just to see what this field is all about. I have built homes for the last seven years and want to change careers into something more stable.

Take Care,
Chris

Tim in Chevy Chase, Maryland

93 months ago

NHA is a great place to start to find the school closest to you:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Healthcareer_Association

Barbara in Easton, Maryland

86 months ago

kbana in Danville, Indiana said: I live west of Indy. I have worked in a hospital for 5 years as an Ekg tech. Love it. I am now looking to get certified but cannot find no schools that certify in Indiana. There is MCi or PCCTi in Illinois I am looking to get info about....anyone out there can tell me how these schools are with there ekg, cardio and phlebotomy classes??? Since I do work in the hospital setting already and looking to get certified, plus take the cci testing. Are theses schools accredited for these classes??? I only read about there altrasound classes on the board, but nothing about the other classes. Are they well in depth with knowledge you need? Thanks,,anyone!!!!! Keri

Why are you looking for a school that certifies ??
To be certified, you need to take your national registery.

CCI, is the credentialing board for EKG techs. If you have been doing them in the hospital should be enough for that. I don't know their qualifications are now. I passed mine in 1990. I am a CCT which is a certified cardiographic technician. I just took the test with CCI and that is all I needed

86 months ago

kbana in Danville, Indiana said: Hi Chris...I work at the Danville Hospital. What area are you looking to get in. Yes, there are many, but you will need to find an area you would enjoy. I am looking at going to the pccti for the ekg tech training to get certified and be able to work at the heart centers. I work as an ekg tech now but I am not certified. I have asked on this site a couple times what any thought of there ekg program but no one ever let me know. It would be nice to find someone that has gone through that program to tell me if it is good or not. Indiana doesnt offer any programs for the stress tech training which sucks. I really dont want to drive 3-4 hours every weekend for class but I will if it is worth it. Anyone..again...please let me know if the pccti ekg /stress tech training class is worth it.
Keri

I don't know but you should check out the national registery with CCI they are the only ones that truely certifiy you on a national and international level. I recieved mine in 1990, I am a CCT
Certified Cardiographic Technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

dezaraemyrea

80 months ago

I just moved to Danville, I am 19 years old and I can't afford school. Where would be a good place to start in the medical field? I love helping people and nursing is my dream.

80 months ago

dezaraemyrea said: I just moved to Danville, I am 19 years old and I can't afford school. Where would be a good place to start in the medical field? I love helping people and nursing is my dream.

Then go to nursing school. THere is money, grants, loans ect..out there. When you contacted the school you are looking at, what did they tell you. I mean there are Stafford loans, grants, scholarships..even working at a hospital, they will pay part of your education..so try that idea as well. If you are talking about Danville Pa. well you have a great hospital there..check it out.

Obama has money for people to go to school, so there is that money. If you want it bad enough, you will go get it..ie the money..ie don't let any stone unturned. Even the military will pay your education as well.

Good luck
Barbara

80 months ago

THe only certified board we have as EKG technician is
CCI: Certified Cardiovascular Technician.
www.cci-online.org

Barbara

80 months ago

Keri

Keri,
To get truly certified in EKG, Stress ect to work in Cardiology

THe credintaling board CCI: www.cci-online.org

dezaraemyrea

80 months ago

I live in Indiana, and I don't even know where to begin with grants. I have no clue how things like that work. I would like to be a LPN and I know I can do it. Just trying to figure all this out by myself is frustrating. I have no one to help me or guide me.

Steve in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

80 months ago

I live in Nashville, TN and Nashville General Hospital is offering a 3 month EKG Tech program for $1000.00. After the program, you receive a certificate and then can sit for the certification exam to get your CCT credentials.

I am wondering if this is truly worth it. Is this a good way to get a job? Should I be looking at a different route? Opinions?

80 months ago

dezaraemyrea said: I live in Indiana, and I don't even know where to begin with grants. I have no clue how things like that work. I would like to be a LPN and I know I can do it. Just trying to figure all this out by myself is frustrating. I have no one to help me or guide me.

The school you are applying to should have all that information for you, links on computer would be to Google...say Nursing grants...or Heathcare grants for nursing school.

Good luck :)
Barbara

80 months ago

Steve in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: I live in Nashville, TN and Nashville General Hospital is offering a 3 month EKG Tech program for $1000.00. After the program, you receive a certificate and then can sit for the certification exam to get your CCT credentials.

I am wondering if this is truly worth it. Is this a good way to get a job? Should I be looking at a different route? Opinions?

Steve,
My CCT I don't think has really helped me get a job, it just looks good on resume and I have over my many years since 1982 in Cardiology. It is not recognized like it should be. But when you get into Cathlab and Echo credentials mean everything or you will no longer have a job. So will this ever happen to EKG and Stress techs it hasn't yet. It has not gotten me a higher paying job...only now the Echo has..which I do now. I can say that I can do everything noninvasively which has helped me with employment. I am proud to say I have my CCT in Cardiology. I have told empolyers that for billing purposes they will get paid more by haveing a CCT...but it hasn't.

dezaraemyrea

80 months ago

Barbara in Easton, Maryland said: The school you are applying to should have all that information for you, links on computer would be to Google...say Nursing grants...or Heathcare grants for nursing school.

Good luck :)
Barbara

Would you have a reference on a school. I'm still looking for schools local. You really have been a huge help. This world needs more people who actually care in it and in the medical field. God bless you.

80 months ago

Thank you for the kind words. I really think you are wasting your time on LPN. They are rare to find, and really do not get much better pay then a certified nurses aid, alot of hospitals do not use them, and doctors offices don't use them either. Finding an LPN school is tough. I do believe that some nursing homes still use the LPN. LPN school is a 12 month course, but you have a lot of classes of books at once for about 3 or 4 months, then it is off to clinicals. If you are able to handle that kind of work load then LPN would be ok.

RN is the best choice, 2 year degree, 4 degree. The craming that LPN dose, will not be like that of RN as the RN is over so many years.

YOu do I am sure have colleges around you so where, and then you can Google as well.

So know I don't have any reference on any schools.
Good luck

Erik in Chicago, Illinois

80 months ago

Barbara in Easton, Maryland said: Keri,
To get truly certified in EKG, Stress ect to work in Cardiology

THe credintaling board CCI: www.cci-online.org

Hi barbara i am a Certified Ekg Tech i have my certificate thru NHA national health care association.I was told i would need to learn Stress test and holter monitoring and that i should get my certificate thru cci if i really want to work.

My question is is that something i really would need to take up or can i learn these skills once i find employment.I took a basic ekg class which taught me basically about the 12 lead ekg machine but no stress test or holter monitoring.Since i read that you have been in cardiology since 1982 i think you said i figured id ask you.Thanx

80 months ago

Hi, Erik
You should sit for the test if your employer has told you to. You do not have to have the holter monitor or stressing SKILL to sit for the test. When you go through CCI, they will send you out a book for you to study, or maybe now it is just "OutLine" and study that and you will be fine. The skill is that the skill, and the certificate is the certificate. Most places you work at along as you have the certificate (CCI) and the desire to learn they will allow that. Most Holter scanner monitors are different, even after all my years, I have used five different Holter montior scan equipment..I might still come upon one that I have never used, then I have the software to learn. As long as you know your rhythms, they are willing to teach you the equipment even in the stress lab.

So contact CCI and get your CCT :)

Take care and stay safe
Barbara

79 months ago

Sherese,

Sure I can look at it. I would say right away if it is NOT an accredited program you are waisting your time. Burwin Institue is an accredited program, I am not sure if you are looking at thier progam. I would check out the ARDMS and CCI website that list the school that are accredited.
www.ardms.org www.cci-online.org

These are the two credentialing boards that we have. Without going to an accredited school that they approve you would be wasiting your money.

I will give you my second email address: mbearwcub@hotmail.com

Take care and stay safe
Barbara

Sherese Prather in Martin, Tennessee

79 months ago

Barbara,

I just sent a copy of what the program entails to the addy you gave me...thanks again

Sherese

cc

78 months ago

Steve in Murfreesboro, Tennessee said: I live in Nashville, TN and Nashville General Hospital is offering a 3 month EKG Tech program for $1000.00. After the program, you receive a certificate and then can sit for the certification exam to get your CCT credentials.

Did you apply for the ECG Tech at General? I came across this also. It is a $1000.00, but there are no loans for it. I'm 54, wanting to get into something like this. I don't qualifly for any loans,but would have to borrow funds, but money is really tight. I've signed up to take compass test for a phlebotomy class at nash.tec. Did you do the class.

Sherese Prather in Union City, Tennessee

78 months ago

Steve, the program I was going to take was also a 3 mo. class for $999 that was to prepare for what they said was the ASPT-EKG class among other national cert. tests which they do not specify.......after research, I found that this particular class is sponsored by and the instructors are provided by Condensed Curriculum Inc. and then after contacting them was informed that this is a very BASIC class which only teaches the fundamentals of being able to read the monitor and distinguish between a normal and abnormal EKG, that most students who take the class are already working in the hospital and are wanting to learn for crosstraining purposes. In fact, most of your smaller hospitals do not hire specifically EKG techs, but just crosstrain their RNs, LPNs, or NAs to avoid the added cost of hiring someone for this specific area. So, this program is presented as being a really in depth course when in fact it is not, and WILL NOT by the way prepare you to take the CCT test!! A rep from the company told me on the phone that the only credential it will prepare for is sponsored by the ASPT(American Society of Phleb. Techs) and is the ASPT-EKG credential I spoke of earlier......so, as for me I am not going to do the class. I am studying to take the Pharmacy Tech national cert test(PTCB) as of right now. hope this helps...i would save my money

Sherese Prather in Union City, Tennessee

78 months ago

Steve, the program I was going to take was offered at a University not too far from where I live...with yours being from a hospital, you would think it would be a legitimate thing, but I would still ask and clarify exactly what it will prepare you for.

Trang in Fresno, California

74 months ago

Hi All,
I moved to US for 15 months. I want to study and get a job and take care my baby 7 months.Anyone give me opinions what course can i learn about 6-12 months. I'd like to work in healthcare field but i really dont know where should i start.Please help me.Thanks a lot!

laura in Edinburgh, United Kingdom

55 months ago

hi everyone, i am from the United kingdom and i am fully graduted for year and a half now as a cardac physiologist were i work in non-invasive an invasive parts of cardiology. i would love to move over to new york and work,does anyone know how i would go about this, i am finding it very difficult to find any jobs.

many thanks

LAura

echotech02 in Warwick, Rhode Island

53 months ago

laura in Edinburgh, United Kingdom said: hi everyone, i am from the United kingdom and i am fully graduted for year and a half now as a cardac physiologist were i work in non-invasive an invasive parts of cardiology. i would love to move over to new york and work,does anyone know how i would go about this, i am finding it very difficult to find any jobs.

many thanks

LAura

go to Ultrasoundjobs.com.(US) it's tough here in the US right now for echo tech jobs. Not a lot out there and the jobs that are there only seem to be PRN or Per diem. Which don't give benefits. I worked in UK for a summer. there seem to be more jobs there( at the time )for echo tech. I would like to work in Ireland. Any help on that would be great. thanks!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.