How many studies should you perfrom/day?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Donna in Hatboro, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

I work in a 180 bed hospital with one full time echo tech and one that only comes in for 4 hrs. on Mondays( none are done over the weekend so Monday's volume is the heaviest).My Supervisor expects that 12 echos is an appropriate amount for the full time tech to perform daily. It is different in a doctor's office where the patients are mobile and more studies can be done. Does anyone know what the recommendation is from the ASE of how many a tech can perform safely?
Thanks!
Donna

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

jake4536 in Vine Grove, Kentucky

92 months ago

the last temp job i had i was required to do about 12 a day also. they gave me 45 min per echo and about 45 mins for lunch. some of the jobs were also carotid exams so this made up the difference

Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

92 months ago

Jake, Was that based on an 8 or 10 hour day?How many echoes vs, carotids? How much time alotted for carotids? Thanks, Donna

Reply - Report abuse

jake4536 in Vine Grove, Kentucky

92 months ago

that was an eight hour day and it prob was a little more echos, but some days were 50/50. I am a rookie, not much experience and it was all i could do to keep up with this pace. i don't know if that is expected everywhere, but most of my friends vary from 4 to about 10 exams a day.

Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

Thanks Jake!

Reply - Report abuse

George in Nanaimo, British Columbia

92 months ago

Jake,

You're being hosed. The ASE has done studies and determined that, ideally, echo techs should be doing no more than seven echoes (including write-ups) in an 8-hr. shift. Of course a lot of hospitals expect 8 echoes/8 hr. shift. However, I think if you're doing more than 8 echoes/8 hr. shift, you're asking for trouble. I'm talking rotator cuff injury here, carpel tunnel, etc.; injuries that can put you out of business for a long long time. When you see an opening for an echo tech these days, it really pays to find out exactly why that opening exists. There's a constant need for new echo techs. You gotta' wonder why. Cetainly, "wear 'em out and throw 'em away" seems to be the attitude at a lot of places.

Reply - Report abuse

Jenna in Memphis, Tennessee

92 months ago

I totally agree with George. At our outpatient office, we do about 10 a day. The other day we each did 13 and it was absolutely non stop all day long counting time to do our PACS reports and the patient to get back and get undressed. So the actual echo only takes us about 15 minutes at most.

Reply - Report abuse

92 months ago

Does anyone know if a hospital has a cardiac cath lab, performs open heart surgery and has an ER, is there a recommendation of how many echo techs they should have? Any feedback is helpful.........Donna

Reply - Report abuse

reply to your post in Lake Mary, Florida

46 months ago

George in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: Jake,

You're being hosed. The ASE has done studies and determined that, ideally, echo techs should be doing no more than seven echoes (including write-ups) in an 8- hr . shift. Of course a lot of hospitals expect 8 echoes/8 hr. shift. However, I think if you're doing more than 8 echoes/8 hr. shift, you're asking for trouble. I'm talking rotator cuff injury here, carpel tunnel, etc.; injuries that can put you out of business for a long long time. When you see an opening for an echo tech these days, it really pays to find out exactly why that opening exists. There's a constant need for new echo techs. You gotta' wonder why. Cetainly, "wear 'em out and throw 'em away" seems to be the attitude at a lot of places.

I went for an interview for a private med ctr. They have their own buses to transport patients to and from their nursing homes or other places to thier facility. They only give Echo Techs 30 min to do one echo. I have to do 12 echoes a day and do the report and get paid minimum salary. This is completely unfair to the patient and unfair to me as a human being. It takes atleast 10 min to wheel the patient down to room or walk them, tell them about the test, have them changed into gowns and to start, I will only have 20 min to do the test, if the images are crappy it takes more time and effort to get the best possible pictures and also their rhythm matters. For the best possible quality echo we echo techs need atleast 45min to an hour. It's completely unfair people not only want to pay you minimum salary and expect 2 echoes an hour and expect the best echo in 30 min. Even if I do 12 echoes a day, I not only wont have enought time to eat or possibly skipping lunch to do reports and still go home with eyes popping out and late extremely tired and possibly risking joint problems after doing this for years. Completely unfair and unethical.

Reply - Report abuse

Dee in Putnam Valley, New York

25 months ago

I currently work for a company where I go from office to office. Most of them book patients every half hour, and I'm lucky if I get a lunch break. I've been doing this for almost 10 years and I've noticed that it gets slower during summer and winter months, and crazy during the spring and fall. Can do anywhere from just a few patients per day to up to 16 patients in a 9 hour day. I feel like anything over 10 patients per day is way too much and exhausting for our bodies. These supervisors don't factor in the time it takes to do computer work, or the time it takes for older patients to get undressed and into position on the exam table!

Reply - Report abuse

rnorton993 in Chicago, Illinois

4 months ago

I can tell right away that most of the techs that have made these comments think to get a good echo you need to apply a lot of force to get good images WRONG... If you relax and NOT push you will find that your images are better and your arm/hand doesnt hurt and your patient is much more comfortable. When I was trained my teacher said you need to push to get good images but I thought about it... we put gel on the probe for a reason, even if you dont know what that reason is just think about this, if you put gel on the probe and then push really hard what happens to the gel? of course you push it all off the probe then you move around the patient and try to find an image, apply more gel, push and try to find an image, apply more gel. it's a never ending story with poor results. Here's my suggestion.. use a LIGHT hand with NO pressure. You will be able to find your image,keep the gel between the probe and the patients skin and maintain the view(because you wont be sliding off the patient (because of the force you were previously using), the patient will be more comfortable so they wont move and you will be able to do more studies in less time. I know I am not the norm but I do echos every 30 min(15 min for the study), stress echos every 30min( and i do the stress test and the echo myself) and dobutamine stress echo in about an hour. I have been doing echo for over 20 years and have no joint or carpel tunnel issues because there is no force used to fatigue my joints or myself.I would be more than happy to meet with any and all techs that would like try a different approach to echo and if you have an open mind and are willing to try and change what you have been programmed to believe is the only way to do an echo, let me know.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Riley B in Levittown, New York

3 months ago

I disagree with that comment. When you're scanning obese Patient's sometimes you have to press no matter how many adjustments you make on the machine. There is a reason why ASE has the guidelines and those fact sheets are on point. It's common sense overuse of your body will lead to injuries. Scanning over 8 Patient's a day can lead to an early retirement in this field.

Reply - Report abuse

cheer in Naperville, Illinois

3 months ago

George in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: Jake,

You're being hosed. The ASE has done studies and determined that, ideally, echo techs should be doing no more than seven echoes (including write-ups) in an 8- hr . shift. Of course a lot of hospitals expect 8 echoes/8 hr. shift. However, I think if you're doing more than 8 echoes/8 hr. shift, you're asking for trouble. I'm talking rotator cuff injury here, carpel tunnel, etc.; injuries that can put you out of business for a long long time. When you see an opening for an echo tech these days, it really pays to find out exactly why that opening exists. There's a constant need for new echo techs. You gotta' wonder why. Cetainly, "wear 'em out and throw 'em away" seems to be the attitude at a lot of places.

That's right, completely.Some Sonographers are proof, that it not only injures your wrist and arm, but also cervical spinal cord, and sometimes lumbar, which can lead to major surgery.I know one echo tech, after working full time doing 2 patients an hour for 8 years she injured her cervical vertebrae leading to surgery.Once you do have injury they may not believe it is caused by the workload. Some Echo dept's in hospitals especially don't really care. although they do tell you to use right biomechanics while working just to cover themselves.In an 8 hour shift, echo tech's should not be doing more than 8 echoes a day max. Hospitals can hire more echo tech's to cover for 2nd shift if they need to, and they know that, there are hundreds out there looking for jobs and this can help an 8-hour echo tech go home for family in peace and not exhausted.8-hour shift and 12 echoes with 30 min lunch is ridiculous and unsafe for the sonographer. They don't pay much to do 12 echoes a day, even if they did, I would rather not take chances doing so many and hurt myself. Just because one person was safe for 20 years doing 12 echoes a day does not mean everyone will be.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.