How many studies should you perfrom/day?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Donna in Hatboro, Pennsylvania

52 months ago

I work in a 180 bed hospital with one full time echo tech and one that only comes in for 4 hrs. on Mondays( none are done over the weekend so Monday's volume is the heaviest).My Supervisor expects that 12 echos is an appropriate amount for the full time tech to perform daily. It is different in a doctor's office where the patients are mobile and more studies can be done. Does anyone know what the recommendation is from the ASE of how many a tech can perform safely?
Thanks!
Donna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

jake4536 in Vine Grove, Kentucky

51 months ago

the last temp job i had i was required to do about 12 a day also. they gave me 45 min per echo and about 45 mins for lunch. some of the jobs were also carotid exams so this made up the difference

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Lansdale, Pennsylvania

51 months ago

Jake, Was that based on an 8 or 10 hour day?How many echoes vs, carotids? How much time alotted for carotids? Thanks, Donna

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jake4536 in Vine Grove, Kentucky

51 months ago

that was an eight hour day and it prob was a little more echos, but some days were 50/50. I am a rookie, not much experience and it was all i could do to keep up with this pace. i don't know if that is expected everywhere, but most of my friends vary from 4 to about 10 exams a day.

51 months ago

Thanks Jake!

George in Nanaimo, British Columbia

51 months ago

Jake,

You're being hosed. The ASE has done studies and determined that, ideally, echo techs should be doing no more than seven echoes (including write-ups) in an 8-hr. shift. Of course a lot of hospitals expect 8 echoes/8 hr. shift. However, I think if you're doing more than 8 echoes/8 hr. shift, you're asking for trouble. I'm talking rotator cuff injury here, carpel tunnel, etc.; injuries that can put you out of business for a long long time. When you see an opening for an echo tech these days, it really pays to find out exactly why that opening exists. There's a constant need for new echo techs. You gotta' wonder why. Cetainly, "wear 'em out and throw 'em away" seems to be the attitude at a lot of places.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenna in Memphis, Tennessee

51 months ago

I totally agree with George. At our outpatient office, we do about 10 a day. The other day we each did 13 and it was absolutely non stop all day long counting time to do our PACS reports and the patient to get back and get undressed. So the actual echo only takes us about 15 minutes at most.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

Does anyone know if a hospital has a cardiac cath lab, performs open heart surgery and has an ER, is there a recommendation of how many echo techs they should have? Any feedback is helpful.........Donna

reply to your post in Lake Mary, Florida

6 months ago

George in Nanaimo, British Columbia said: Jake,

You're being hosed. The ASE has done studies and determined that, ideally, echo techs should be doing no more than seven echoes (including write-ups) in an 8- hr . shift. Of course a lot of hospitals expect 8 echoes/8 hr. shift. However, I think if you're doing more than 8 echoes/8 hr. shift, you're asking for trouble. I'm talking rotator cuff injury here, carpel tunnel, etc.; injuries that can put you out of business for a long long time. When you see an opening for an echo tech these days, it really pays to find out exactly why that opening exists. There's a constant need for new echo techs. You gotta' wonder why. Cetainly, "wear 'em out and throw 'em away" seems to be the attitude at a lot of places.

I went for an interview for a private med ctr. They have their own buses to transport patients to and from their nursing homes or other places to thier facility. They only give Echo Techs 30 min to do one echo. I have to do 12 echoes a day and do the report and get paid minimum salary. This is completely unfair to the patient and unfair to me as a human being. It takes atleast 10 min to wheel the patient down to room or walk them, tell them about the test, have them changed into gowns and to start, I will only have 20 min to do the test, if the images are crappy it takes more time and effort to get the best possible pictures and also their rhythm matters. For the best possible quality echo we echo techs need atleast 45min to an hour. It's completely unfair people not only want to pay you minimum salary and expect 2 echoes an hour and expect the best echo in 30 min. Even if I do 12 echoes a day, I not only wont have enought time to eat or possibly skipping lunch to do reports and still go home with eyes popping out and late extremely tired and possibly risking joint problems after doing this for years. Completely unfair and unethical.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.