EE degree after 20 yrs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

susan0309 in Westminster, Colorado

38 months ago

I'm looking for some advice/opinions on work that I could get with a BS electrical engineering received in winter 1990. I worked for about 1 year before changing to the roll raising a family. I would like to find a part-time job. I have no idea of what kind of pay I can expect. My time is very flexible and because of my husands job, I don't really need benefits. I live in the Boulder, CO area. Basically, right now I just want a good paying hourly job that provides on the job training with perhaps the oportunity to advance. I would hope that my degree is worth something even 20 yrs later. I can't afford to go back to school.

TIA Susan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

susan0309 in Westminster, Colorado

38 months ago

susan0309 in Westminster, Colorado said: I'm looking for some advice/opinions on work that I could get with a BS electrical engineering received in winter 1990. I worked for about 1 year before changing to the roll raising a family. I would like to find a part-time job. I have no idea of what kind of pay I can expect. My time is very flexible and because of my husands job, I don't really need benefits. I live in the Boulder, CO area. Basically, right now I just want a good paying hourly job that provides on the job training with perhaps the oportunity to advance. I would hope that my degree is worth something even 20 yrs later. I can't afford to go back to school.

TIA Susan

FWIW I studied control systems and microprocessor design.

Lori in Cumming, Georgia

35 months ago

I was in your position about 12 years ago. Got my BSEE in 1982 and my husband lost his job, so I had to go back to work after being a stay at home mom. I decided to apply for Inside Sales job for a lighting company. It was a good transition into the workforce, I helped people select lighting for their houses.

Then after that I found an inside sales job at a manufacturer, got promoted to project manager and went into operational excellence.

Engineering degrees, no matter how dusty, still earn respect.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Susan in Westminster, Colorado

35 months ago

Lori, Thank you very much for your encouraging and helpful reply. Susan

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.