Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

How did you get your start doing electrical technician work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Thunderbird in San Bernardino, California

21 months ago

First of all I made it my aim to work in the electrical field as a life career. It is important to have an aim. Then as an apprentice starting out with no knowledge except my electronics experience from the US Navy, I found an electrical contractor who would hire me and trained under a master electrician. In addition to that I took night courses to learn the National Electrical code, read electrical theory books in my spare time, and eventually took electrical engineering classes in college. From there I started taking electrical maintenance jobs in manufacturing plants to expose myself to different types of electro/mechanical equipment and developed my troubleshooting skills with on the job experiences to solve problems. Learning is an ongoing process because new technology is always coming out.

Do you need a particular educational background? To start you need to know AC/DC electrical theory which includes a knowledge of Ohms Law along with a good math background. You need to be a self starter and take the time to study or take college courses at night. If you have the money I suppose a full time two year college course in electrical engineering technology would be nice but I would not take out a student loan to pay for it.

If you apply yourself in the field and in the evenings for study you could be making good money in two years. But you have to work at it as your aim. This is why aim is important. It keeps you focused on what you need to do to overcome the resistance of negative thinking when things seem to go not so good.

When you become a master in the electrical field then you can either find a good company to work for or you can become a contractor and sell your services/knowledge on the market place.

Does this answer your questions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.