US Navy Chief Electronics Technician Looking for work in Texas or Oregon

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Jeremy Mckern in Siletz, Oregon

54 months ago

Hi, my name is Jeremy and I have just under 11 years as an Electronics Technician in the US Navy. Most of my experience is in telecommunications/satcom specifically EHF, UHF, HF, VHF etc. I also have alot of experience with LMR, specifically Ericcson, now Macom. I am currently a Chief Petty Officer with good leadership and managerial skills, and would have thought it would be easy to get hired. Of all the leads I have gotten, for some reason I keep coming up short for one reason or another. Any advice for getting into a good career would be very helpful. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Scatcat in Beaverton, Oregon

54 months ago

First of all thank your for your service.

The Electronics /High tech jobs are dismal. The high tech bloom fell off the rose a long time ago due to miss management and miss-investment by the state of Oregon. . Many companies have moved or closed. High taxes in Oregon and over supply of engineers are not helping things. Best is to move out, ether way you need to move up to the Portland Vancover area. If you want to stay in defense or telecommunications, Seattle (slightly better), California, East coast, or Texas may have better opportunities
Do get a resume up on Monster; most opportunities are temporary contract at Intel and a few other firms. If you do go this route, sty with companies with local offices in Oregon. There is a lot of out of state gold diggers. Do talk to your local Veteran’s employment representative for programs for recently returned vets

Jeremy Mckern in Siletz, Oregon

54 months ago

Thanks for the great information. All of the areas you mentioned are areas I have applied in for ET positions. The outlook in Oregon is a bit bleak. I am also checking out Veterans opportunities adn Federal employment as well. Thanks again.

Jorge in Plano, Texas

54 months ago

Hey, Jeremy. I am actually an Electronics Techinician living just North of Dallas. From what I have seen thus far, the market appears to remain relatively healthy with regards to positions focused on skilled trades: particularly in cities just outside of the main hubs. That is where you would tend to find more industrial/technical/trade based positions. I've been down here for over three years and have had no problem finding positions offering competitive salaries which rival those of other major markets throughout the country. Keep in mind that the affordability and quaility of living out here is also steadily on the rise. In any case, I hope that you do eventually find the right position in the end. I hope this information helped out somewhat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.