Do employers discriminate against out-of-state applicants?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Flatulent Elephant in Kent, Washington

73 months ago

Newbie on the forum so I apologize in advance if I'm posting in the wrong section...

I am an environmental professional in the Seattle area & have been out of work for about a year. I want to relocate to the SW but haven't had any luck so far & suspect that part of the problem may be that employers are seeing my address & blowing me off b/c they fear I may demand relocation assistance (I won't, I promise!). I have applied for lots of jobs in CA, UT, AZ, & NM...& have only had a few phone interviews that led nowhere. I recently began applying locally but still no luck.

Anyone else on here have issues regarding looking for jobs in other states? Any tips/advice? Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Anyone???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Seriously??? There's no one on here that has suspected that they are being discriminated against b/c of their address?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

enviroscientist in Johnson City, Tennessee

69 months ago

Don't take it personally. You're only one passenger in a very. VERY big boat full of hundreds of thousands of other people in this 'flatlined' economy. These days employers discriminate against EVERYONE they don't already know and/or who doesn't already have a job in the same field with years of experience. If they aren't then be very suspicious of the job they're offering. If there advertising for a job vacancy these days...there's something wrong with it.
Make contacts in the field you want to work in. PERIOD. Connections are the only ticket up from steerage to first class, or go find something else to do for a wage in a field you enjoy until the economy gets better. You like to ski, then go work at a ski resort until things get better and get re-certified later with the things you'll need at that time. You'll be working, meeting people who have jobs good enough to afford skiing vacations and maybe they work in the field you want to enter.
Continuing to borrow more money to get more degrees can be a dangerous trap. I know people who owe enough to buy a new luxury car or a very small home and they are no better off than before.
Good luck. Go make friends with people who do what you want to do for a living. Schmooze, network.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.