Cosmetology course vs Esthetician course

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

choilives in Modesto, California

80 months ago

I am signed up for Esthetics class starting next month BUT I was thinking maybe I should change and do the Cosmetology course instead.

I am 90% sure I want to do skin and makeup but part of me is interested in hair. Also with the economy the way it is right now, maybe it would be better to get into hair for right now?

Is it easy to get a esthetician job with a cosmetology degree? Is that even an option for me? If I took some additional courses and got NCEA Certified, would that help me or should I just get my Esthetician Lic?

Any opinions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Debra in Salt Lake City, Utah

69 months ago

I was thinking the same thing and would be interested in what others had to say/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EducatedEsthetician in California

69 months ago

It's my opinion that you are not really particularly hire-able as an esthetician if you have a cosmetology degree, for the simple reason that you will be competing for jobs with someone who has specialized esthetician training.

Perhaps you could try to negotiate with the school to complete the skincare hours at very reduced rates?

EE

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Undecided in Springfield, Missouri

69 months ago

EducatedEsthetician in California said: It's my opinion that you are not really particularly hire-able as an esthetician if you have a cosmetology degree, for the simple reason that you will be competing for jobs with someone who has specialized esthetician training.

Perhaps you could try to negotiate with the school to complete the skincare hours at very reduced rates?

EE

Hello.
I'm torn between the two. I was wondering which one might be the best? Like in job opportunity and which one is much more in demand. Help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

lashes in Springfield, Missouri

67 months ago

Hey Undecided, I'm an experienced esthetician and it is not an easy thing to get a job in Springfield due to the size and how many estheticians there are. You can never go wrong with hair in my opinion. Maybe start there then you could do esthetics down the road. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cosmetology Campus in Manila

46 months ago

If you think that hair styling job is indemand in your area and you are after an immediate income/job, then probably it would be better to pursue this line. But if you will consider the long-term benefit, I suggest that you go for getting cosmetology education since it covers almost all aspect of "beautifying" a person - hair, skin and nails.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Snobfreelady in Frederick, Maryland

33 months ago

I'm glad I stumbled upon this question because I have deliberating the same too. The answers were very helpful. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

baugh in Woodland Hills, California

32 months ago

I Also am enrolled in Esthtician Class but I'm not sure if i can find a Job after getting the license. Can anyone tell me if it's easy to find it or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.