Esthecians on cruise ships

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Christina0310 in Baltimore, Maryland

66 months ago

Have any worked as a esthetician on a cruise ship. When I complete school I would have earned a licence in both massage therapy and esthics....give in put please...I want to save money to open my own day spa..promoting health, beauty and fitness...Do not have a name for my spa yet.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

kiki in Livonia, Michigan

63 months ago

The company is pretty big and are based in UK and Florida, once you are accepted you will have to go for product and service training in the UK, They are pretty strict and your initial output can be costly as you will have to cover you flight to uk, food costs, medical exam and safety training exam costs, to name but a few. The beauty training is actually fun, the trainers are not. (well a few are cool) Once you are allocated a vessel, well the worlds your oyster, you have the potential to make anywhere from $300 to $3000 a week but believe me you will have to put serious hours in and retail your socks off. The payoff is the great destinations and the amazing people you meet. beware if you have a weak liver because the demon drink is rife on ships and you WILL become a party animal whether you like it or not. Heads up though the UK academy and the actual vessel are nothing alike. Trust me I have 14yr on and off the vessels as esty/LMT and spa manager. oh if u are from the states then look into the Hawaii branch vessel ( Mandara Spa), unfortunately they only have one ship now but those chicks are making bank even if they complain about it, plus u get medical insurance for a steal and if you dont get enough clients to cover in the week, you still get HI minimum wage which is not bad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kaila B. in Chandler, Arizona

63 months ago

so what are usually the qualifications?
cirtain # of years exp., cidesco, how do you go about applying
are the cruises still doing good business during the recession?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

EducatedEsthetician in California

62 months ago

Kaila B. in Chandler, Arizona said: so what are usually the qualifications?
cirtain # of years exp., cidesco, how do you go about applying
are the cruises still doing good business during the recession?

Here's some info about Steiner recruiting:
www.onespaworld.com/main/page.aspx?PageID=4000
As above, be very prepared to work HARD and be very proficient at recommending products.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mercedes in Upper Marlboro, Maryland

50 months ago

osaka in Los Angeles, California said: so i was woundering... i only have my Esthetician license.. will that be ok to work on a ship..? a graduated from school a year ago and still no job... so i was thinking a crus ship would be good.. I have been doing massage for 2 years now but really want to do esthetician... can you tell me what a day is like as an esty, how the rooms are, the food, what about the showers...? I understand its hard work, u might not make good money but i still want to try it out. Is the trainning in the UK worth it..? how is the interview and what should i know for the test...? sorry so many questions.. hope u or anyone can help. THANKS!

I want to know the same thing. I am an esthetician also. i wanted to know if my license would be good enough??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Zakiyya in Manassas, Virginia

49 months ago

Mercedes in Upper Marlboro, Maryland said: I want to know the same thing. I am an esthetician also. i wanted to know if my license would be good enough??

steiner will be interviewing in Baltimore On July 22,23,2010

naynay in Madison, Tennessee

47 months ago

I have gone through the interview process with Steiner, now I'm just waiting to hear back from them. I interveiwed in Baltimore on 7/23, there were about 9 esty canidates there. Now there is a 2-3 week waiting period to hear if your interview was successful.
Wish me luck!!

Leeanah in Cordova, Tennessee

44 months ago

I've had my esthetician license for a little over a year now and I havent had any luck finding a job so I thought working on a cruise ship would be a fresh start. What all do I need to do? Is my license enough?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Leeanah in Cordova, Tennessee

44 months ago

I've had my esthetician license for a little over a year now and I havent had any luck finding a job so I thought working on a cruise ship would be a fresh start. What all do I need to do? Is my license enough?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Having your license is great they like for you to be somewhat of a clean slate when it comes to training you. I applied with Steiner and it didnt work out for me but they are one of the largest in the country.

Apply at steiner.com or onespaworld.com

Good Luck!

Nay

jessfields in Las Vegas, Nevada

44 months ago

HERE ARE THE FACTS:

* I work for Steiner. Trained in London. On a cruise ship now.

* IF YOU ARE AMERICAN be prepared to work ILLEGAL US hours. NOT 8-10-12 hours...more like 14+ with limited sleep. THE MONEY will NOT EVEN compare to what you have spent to get over to the training academy, food, flight, etc. ONLY IF YOU ARE DESPERATE should you apply. I was sold a complete bill of goods and hate every minute of it. Will be leaving the ship in a couple of weeks. YOU WILL BE TAXED ON EVERY PENNY YOU MAKE ON BOARD THE SHIP. DO NOT (!!!!!) LET STEINER TELL YOU OTHERWISE.

* IF YOU ARE FORM OUTSIDE THE US you will make a lot of money for your country...except the UK where most people leave/quit because the pay is crap. IF YOU ARE FROM SOUTH AFRICA, you will make a TON of money due to the exchange rate.

* WHEN THEY SAY YOU HAVE A 1/2 DAY OFF it is embarkation and you will have to work half of that day...most of the time.

* IF YOU ARE OVER 30 you MUST love to drink drink drink drink and drink and drink with people MUCH YOUNGER than you beacuse thae age group is YOUNG. Why the drinking? BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING MORE TO DO ON THE SHIP. The social life sucks on the ship. AND you must be open-minded about sleep with strangers. WHY? Beacuse that's what you will either: do, or deal with when your roommate does it on one of the bunk beds 1 ft. away from you.

* DID I FORGET TO MENTION THAT IF YOU ARE AMERICAN THAN YOU WILL WORK HARDER THAN YOU EVER HAVE IN YOUR LIFE? THIS IS NOT (!!!!!) AN EXAGERATION--AT ALL.

* TRAINING WITH STEINER IN LONDON is decent at best. THE YMCA that you will stay at should be closed. The place is gross, ex-criminals stay there (although on another floor, you do "stay" with them), and when I was there some of the people experienced a case of bed bugs.

WHY I AM WRITING THIS--because I ONLY WISH that someone had told me the REAL TRUTH of what the ship life was like. I would have a better way of life and make more money at McDonalds.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

Wondered about the fact that they only ever let you apply one in your lifetime. I was first turned away because of a butterfly tattoo on my wrist.
When I questioned them they allowed me to interview but then turned me away anyway.
I'm sorry that you are going through what you are, best of luck with getting on with the rest of your life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

ONE MORE THING:

IF YOU: CAN NOT/ DO NOT/ WILL NOT be pushy to people about SELLING then you are in for a world of hurt. The pressure will drive you crazy...and if you can not/ do not/ will not sell for them, then be prepared about being hassled. All the time. Every day. Every day. Every day. Never has happened to me, but I see it happen to others all the time. The frustration makes these people break down and cry all the time. Even the fitness guys have moments where they get upset. No one is safe.

In response to the above comment.

Yeah..the tattoo. You would have to cover it with make-up all the time. Steiner is a bit strict about those things.

Thanks for the "sorry". It was just a bad decision that I have had to deal with for the past 9 months. Cons: left a great-paying job for "adventure"...yeah, right. Have lost 9 months of a normal/ well-paid life. Pros: my old job has offered me my job back. Getting on with the rest of my life entails me getting off this ship. I have never in my life counted down two weeks before like I am now.

And Naynay, TRUST wwhen I say that there is nothing lost on you not being chosen. I don't know who you are, but you're better than what they have to offer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Leeanah

44 months ago

JessFields- I'm really sorry to hear about your experience with Steiner. Its definately made me think twice about it. I'm just having trouble finding a job in Esthetics. Any ideas on what I could do.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

ALMOST HOME! Looking forward to getting to sleep. Sleep depreived for almost a year.

Hello Leeanah. Getting online is tough in the middle of the ocean. Sorry for the delay.

You are in Cordova? That's right outside Memphis, correct? Had a friend who was from there= that place has grown over the past 10 years.

My suggestion is ALWAYS KEEP ON TOP OF YOUR COMPETITION. No matter what you are doing, ALWAYS keep up-to-date with the latest of everything in your desired field. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. It can be rough getting into a industry that has so many in it, but you stand a far better chance of beating out your competitors with more knowledge. You may or may not have the "hands-on" experience, but you will certainly have a better chance of getting the job if you can back yourself up with knowing more. TAKE CLASSES and keep up the continuing education. Even if it is just a addition wax class, laser class, trade show class.
NEVER underestimate even a small part-time job. In the past, I have learned so much just by watching my co-workers that had more experience than me. Their technique is different, they most likely went to another place to get thier license, etc. Don't work harder, work smarter. One last bit of advice? Always look polished. One piece of advice that I can comment on is that PEOPLE TALK. Just on the ships alone the guests always make comments about what we look like, and then they talk. We hear them talk in the Spa and the next thing you know, your co-worker's last guest has now booked a treatment with you just beacuse you have well manicured nails and good hair. NOT beacuse you are better, but presentation is key. Steiner likes a crapload of hooker makeup. They like glitter. Who the heck wants to see a person looking like tinsle on a Christmas tree when they get a massage?
Hope this helps. Just remember that no matter what you are doing, it is better than what I am doing. ONE MORE WEEK. 15 hour work days can kiss it. I'm going back home to the USA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

If anyone is curious about the fancy accomidations and ship life, then please see this video.
Another American showed this to me and I wanted to cry because it is true. There are three levels on a ship. In ranking order: Officer, Staff, Crew. Spa is Staff. This video is the Crew. You will see these people for hours and hours and hours a day. You take the same scary elevators as seen in the video (even with the food in it) to get to your destination the Spa. While working on a ship you WILL meet neat people, but you can not socialize with them. They will ask you to join them for dinner, but you can't go. Even on your lousy ONE full day (IF your a lucky, most of the time it is a half day) these people STILL want to ask you a million questions. After nine months you want to scream/

Your room and bathroom IS this small. And you share with another person. Lock yourself in your own bathroom for a day beacuse it's bigger than what you will get on the ship.

You DO have to act happy 24/7.

At the end of the video you will notice the locations this person has been to. While it might look nice, imagine this. You have worked (and if you work on a cruise ship YOU WILL HAVE WORKED THIS MUCH) 14+ hour days for 5 days straight. You have two half days off. On your half-day you will be off for (example) 12am- 3pm. That is your half day. In order to "enjoy" the sights you will have to be off the ship at around 7am, maybe 8am, haul ass to where you want to go (95% of the time will require a bus ride, shuttle, etc.) and then you get a few hours of "relaxing". Which is what the last part of the viseo shows............................. BUT THEN............... as a SPA worker you will have to haul ass BACK to your room to: shower, get dressed, full makeup, hair, etc. to THEN GO BACK TO WORK AT 3pm SHARP (!!!) to WORK UNTIL 10pm. Why? Beacuse you might have a client at 3pm sharp, so you have to get to work 15 minutes early. THIS IS TRUE!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf-jsgeti

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

44 months ago

or just YOUTUBE " LIFE ONBAORD A CRUISE SHIP" AND PICK THE VIDEO THAT IS 4:49 IN LENGTH.

THERE IS ANOTHER VIDEO THAT SHOWS THE "BIG" ROOMS THAT WE HAVE. THIS IS WHERE I AM NOW. IN ONE VIDEO YOU WILL SEE A GUY FILMING HIS ROOM WITH A CALENDAR WITH BIG BLACK 'X' MARKS. YOU WILL HAVE ON OF THESE IN YOUR ROOM AND GUARD IT WITH YOUR LIFE. YOU WILL NEVER BE SO HAPPY AS TO SEE MORE BLACK 'X' MARKS BEACUSE THAT MEANS THAT YOU HAVE LESS DAYS LEFT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

lg22 in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

Wow!..I applied with Steiner & have an upcoming interview in Las Vegas on the 17th.
I really want to go for this whole cruise line thing but now reading these comments is making me think twice. Is it like this on all the cruise ships??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

lg22 in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

jessfields in Las Vegas, Nevada said: or just YOUTUBE " LIFE ONBAORD A CRUISE SHIP" AND PICK THE VIDEO THAT IS 4:49 IN LENGTH.

THERE IS ANOTHER VIDEO THAT SHOWS THE "BIG" ROOMS THAT WE HAVE. THIS IS WHERE I AM NOW. IN ONE VIDEO YOU WILL SEE A GUY FILMING HIS ROOM WITH A CALENDAR WITH BIG BLACK 'X' MARKS. YOU WILL HAVE ON OF THESE IN YOUR ROOM AND GUARD IT WITH YOUR LIFE. YOU WILL NEVER BE SO HAPPY AS TO SEE MORE BLACK 'X' MARKS BEACUSE THAT MEANS THAT YOU HAVE LESS DAYS LEFT.

approximately how much are the joining costs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GailViolet in El Cerrito, California

42 months ago

Wow, cruise ship work sounds grotesque. That is so true about the looking polished...it will get or lose you a job or clients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ERICA in Hemet, California

34 months ago

kiki in Livonia, Michigan said: The company is pretty big and are based in UK and Florida, once you are accepted you will have to go for product and service training in the UK, They are pretty strict and your initial output can be costly as you will have to cover you flight to uk, food costs, medical exam and safety training exam costs, to name but a few. The beauty training is actually fun, the trainers are not. (well a few are cool) Once you are allocated a vessel, well the worlds your oyster, you have the potential to make anywhere from $300 to $3000 a week but believe me you will have to put serious hours in and retail your socks off. The payoff is the great destinations and the amazing people you meet. beware if you have a weak liver because the demon drink is rife on ships and you WILL become a party animal whether you like it or not. Heads up though the UK academy and the actual vessel are nothing alike. Trust me I have 14yr on and off the vessels as esty/LMT and spa manager. oh if u are from the states then look into the Hawaii branch vessel ( Mandara Spa), unfortunately they only have one ship now but those chicks are making bank even if they complain about it, plus u get medical insurance for a steal and if you dont get enough clients to cover in the week, you still get HI minimum wage which is not bad.

WHATS THE COMPANYS NAME?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.