Massage Therapist Esthetician Dual License?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (18)

srk in Oswego, Illinois

81 months ago

I am currently in MT school. I am considering going to Esthetician school when I am finished. I am interested in skin care ie.. facials etc.. but I am not interested in doing hair removal, tanning, or makeup. The schools at which I have researched seem to include it all in the cirriculum. Is it worth it for me to go along with the curriculum and only do the skin care portion with my massage therapy practice in the future? Do you know anyone else who does this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sharon in Rancho Palos Verdes, California

81 months ago

I had a lot of MTs in my esthetician classes at school. I think it is a great thing to be licensed in both. Can't hurt! Hair removal and makeup were included in my curriculum. I think that's pretty standard. Who knows, you may wind up liking those aspects of it. I know here in CA the State Board test includes, facials, waxing, tweezing and makeup application so even if you don't intend to do those in your career, you at least have to be proficient in them for your test. You should check out the IL state board and see what they require.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Linda Hodges in Baton Rouge, Louisiana

81 months ago

srk in Oswego, Illinois said: I am currently in MT school. I am considering going to Esthetician school when I am finished. I am interested in skin care ie.. facials etc.. but I am not interested in doing hair removal, tanning, or makeup. The schools at which I have researched seem to include it all in the cirriculum. Is it worth it for me to go along with the curriculum and only do the skin care portion with my massage therapy practice in the future? Do you know anyone else who does this?

im am dual liscensed in louisiana and i went to the aveda institute for esthetics and waxing and makeup are a part of the curriculum. i had the same reservations about hair removal when i started, but to tell the truth waxing is a huge money maker. i found i liked waxing more than anything. It was a billion dollar industry last year. and if you do it well you will have faithfull followers for a long time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jocelyn in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

Sharon in Rancho Palos Verdes, California said: I had a lot of MTs in my esthetician classes at school. I think it is a great thing to be licensed in both. Can't hurt! Hair removal and makeup were included in my curriculum. I think that's pretty standard. Who knows, you may wind up liking those aspects of it. I know here in CA the State Board test includes, facials, waxing, tweezing and makeup application so even if you don't intend to do those in your career, you at least have to be proficient in them for your test. You should check out the IL state board and see what they require.

Hi Sharon. I was wondering if you know of place is so cal that offering evening esthetician classes. I have done a few searches but was hoping to find some who had experience with the program to ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dayspakelly in Clarkston, Washington

78 months ago

I own a Day Spa and we currently give a 'non-beauty' facial. It includes an aromatherapy steam of your face and a toning and cleansing, just how you would wash your face in the morning and night, plus a facial massage.
I do not have esthetician working, only massage therapists. Since I am not doing any deep cleansing or peels do I really need to hire an esthetician to do these 'wellness facials'?
I'm having trouble finding more about this law in Washington...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa in Pequot Lakes, Minnesota

77 months ago

In order to get into the Esthetician program you have to follow their curriculmn. I wanted to do body and cellulite treatments...that was all I knew. I jumped in...the training was only offered once a year where I live. I found out it covered everything you mentioned and more...nothing to do with tanning as a business, but skincare & basic tanning. Check with your state on regulations on massage. My Dad went through the training...years later I ended up in the business as well. Minnesota isn't regulated. I've has training through a spa/nurse, my Father, and I work under a Chiropractor's license. I could also work independently if I wanted to. Like my Dad told me just because people pay for the schooling doesn't mean that they should be there. Not all therapists are created equal. Where do you want to work? Call all those places and ask what qualifications they look for when hiring. Schooling is great...you can also study and take the National Certification as well on your own. Not everyone will agree with me. It just depends on the individual. It's like paying to go through the Esthetician program and than find out that your local Mary Kay lady is giving facials. What did you pay for? You can upset people at that end!!! You decide. Weigh your pros and cons. Good luck! I think you will do great tying the two things together.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

71 months ago

srk in Oswego, Illinois said: I am currently in MT school. I am considering going to Esthetician school when I am finished. I am interested in skin care ie.. facials etc.. but I am not interested in doing hair removal, tanning, or makeup. The schools at which I have researched seem to include it all in the cirriculum. Is it worth it for me to go along with the curriculum and only do the skin care portion with my massage therapy practice in the future? Do you know anyone else who does this?

Many carry dual licenses as estheticians and MTs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sandy in Oak Park, California

71 months ago

Getting your esthetician liscense sounds like an excellent idea. It will make you more marketable and your clients (facials) will really appreciate your training.
Going through with the cirriculum and then focusing on facials (and avoided waxing etc.) when you are done should not be a problems.
Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lola in Ontario, California

70 months ago

Can some one guide me to a great Esthetician school in Rancho Cucamonga ca with great schedule I have a little one so I need to work around my husband’s schedule

Thank u…

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Christina0310 in Baltimore, Maryland

66 months ago

I am starting school next week for massage therapy and plan to take the esthic class right after

outspokenMT in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

Whatever courses you decide to take, and wherever you decide to find employment, it would behoove you to first scour the employment and fair wage laws of your state, and read the fine-print of whatever contract your employer offers. Remember. Not only, do you have to invest a sizable amount of money and energy into your initial income, you also have continuing education and licensing requirements to fulfill. Do not let any prospective employers convince you that you are a dime a dozen. We do not produce pencils by volume. We produce healing and relief on person at a time. A lot of employers (especially at spas) will try to screw you out of deserved income for services rendered in order to appease a dissatisfied (and probably scamming), client. Do not let them. Know your rights!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KAT in Palm Harbor, Florida

59 months ago

I am getting my esthtician in florida.I want to move to Minneapolis after I finish school and get a job in a day spa.What are the rules in MN ? Can I transfer my lisence ? I have thought about getting into massage school, but not sure it if would be worth it.I would make just as much money doing facials and waxing with less work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Esthetician in Downers Grove, Illinois

53 months ago

I went to Universal Spa Training Academy. They had a program specifically tailored for dual licensed graduates. I got 15% off of my 2nd program with them. Definitely a smart idea for me and my hands. I don't really have any down time during the year because of the dual license...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Skin Girl in Las Vegas, Nevada

53 months ago

In EVERY state the curriculum for esthetics will be facials, waxing and make up. Also, that is what you will have to test out in. Because that IS what an esthetician is. And if you work in a day spa I highly doubt you would be hired to do "just" facials. Even during a facial clients will ask for a brow or a lip wax.

When you limit what you do you limit the amount of money you can make the spa. So an esthetician that does everything will be more profitable for the spa. Even in booth rental you could have client come to you for a massage and facial but what if they need some waxing done? They will go to someone else. And if its more convenient for a client to go to one person rather than two, they will.

Who knows you may like it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

NiceCoyote in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

Jocelyn in Los Angeles, California said: Hi Sharon. I was wondering if you know of place is so cal that offering evening esthetician classes. I have done a few searches but was hoping to find some who had experience with the program to ask.

Just wondering if you are now done with all your exams and ready to work?
Are you looking for a Massage Therapist position where you can set your own schedule, all linens supplied, take vacations whenever you want, be part of our team, and grow your own little business with us?

Jskin in Alpharetta, Georgia

47 months ago

hi, I plan to own a facial treatment / skin care business. i was wondering if i have to go to Esthetician school for trainning in order to get license.
any best beauty school in georgia? appreciate your advice

Blair Carstens in McHenry, Illinois

45 months ago

I am in the process of enrolling at Cosmetology & Spa Institute in Crystal Lake, IL...any opinions on the Instructor or their program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Cypress, Texas

44 months ago

Linda Hodges in Baton Rouge, Louisiana said: im am dual liscensed in louisiana and i went to the aveda institute for esthetics and waxing and makeup are a part of the curriculum. i had the same reservations about hair removal when i started, but to tell the truth waxing is a huge money maker. i found i liked waxing more than anything. It was a billion dollar industry last year. and if you do it well you will have faithfull followers for a long time.

_ Hi, I was wondering how you got a dual liscence for both Texas and Louisisana. I am planning on doing work in Louisiana when i start back up and wanted to know what to do. I also am interested in waxing as well, great school by the way you went to.
I started pretty young and Am now 15 years in! I would love feedback and how to be on our own what all i need.... i want it from a professional with your experience and schooling.
Jenngirl77@hotmail.com
( topic it- (jenn-reply to massage info)
thanks so much....have a great day
Jenn in texas

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.