RN Nurse or Esthetician?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (301 to 350 of 630)
Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

AKline in Ellettsville, Indiana

70 months ago

PamO in Saint Augustine, Florida said: Would this company be interested in an RN that works in Florida?

PamO I would be interested. Have my RN/pharma sales and completing esthetics in November. Email angelaakline@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

I am looking for a dermatology sales position with an emphasis safe effective skin care. I also would be very interested in working with a plastic surgeon working as a medical esthetician. I live in the Bloomington/Indianapolis area. I will be completing my esthetics program in November of this year and will have licensure by the end of the year. I also have years of experience as an RN working in critical care and PACU. Most recently working in pharmaceutical sales. My email is angelaakline@aol.com

rngurl in Pompano Beach, Florida

70 months ago

Jill in Bloomingdale, Illinois said: Anyone here, Mac rn, or anyone else. I am currently a labor and delivery nurse and I am wanting to go into esthetics. Can anyone email me who has done this, I have some questions! thanks so much, Tinkrbellrn@sbcglobal.net

I am also in the same specialty and want to get into esthetics! Let me know if u have any more info. It's tough to know where to begin!

rngurl in Pompano Beach, Florida

70 months ago

I could not agree more. Have been an R.N in various specialties, for 16 yrs.(am not working at present.) I dread going back. It is a touch career and so hard these days with cut-backs, no staff, no help, etc. I am totally ready for something else. There are other careers/trades which many women are making 2-3x what a nurse makes. The beauty industry, for one. I applaud the Estheticians; hair-styists; etc. I can say that having gone to college-4 years, and made it through the R.N course has been a great achievement, but really has become almost an exhausting choice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

maomom in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

Lisa Noack RN in Los Angeles, California said: Laser companies do train, however I am State Certified for Lasers and Injectables through a program here in CA recognized by the RN Board and Medical Board. Some of my collegues are doctors, I now run my own Laser business with a doctor as my director that comes in once a month to review cases. I also have 2 estheticians that do treatments for me. So it depends on how far you want to take your career.

how do you get state certified in injectables??

rndanay17

69 months ago

I am an RN in Florida with my BSN I work in critical care and I was planning to start the nurse practitioner program; however, I am seriously considering if I should just enter an esthetic a paramedical skin care program instead. After all, I ultimately want to specialize in the skin care industry. However, I was told that as a nurse practitioner I won't need a doctor to back me up for injectables and so on...if possible I would like some input ...which route should I go.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rndanay17

69 months ago

Hi, I see a lot of you are confuse about a career in esthetic versus nursing...while both careers are similar in that they both promote health and wellbeing, they differ in many ways. As a nurse you are caring for various people at once some (depending on your specialty) critically ill. Not only are you going to be caring for the (up to 8 patients) but you will be dealing with their family's concern and doctors, management and tons of charting. You really have to love what you do. I am a critical care nurse and I only get up to 3 patients (very critically ill and sometimes our meds is what keeps them alive until their body could hopefully recover enough to start functioning without artificial assistance. What I am trying to say is that no amount of money in the world is worth it if you are not truly happy doing what you want and most importantly...it is not fair to the patients if you are only there for the money. Yet, I could see how someone could love both fields esthetic and nursing if you have a caring personality. I love nursing and don't ever want to depart from it and that is why I am hoping to work with a dermatologist or lastic surgean to balance my passion for health, beauty and the medical profession.

rndanay17

69 months ago

carmelorisquet@aol.com in Lodi, New Jersey said: It depends. It would be a waste to spend money on becoming an RN to later find that you hate it. Work as a nursing assistant first in a hospital to learn what it is that nurses really do. The stress,long hours,disruption of your sleep pattern and never seeing your family is what upsets me most. Nurse are paid well but not enough for what they do.
There is job security with nursing and benefits. Good luck.
Michelle.

Michelle, you could also shadow a nurse for a couple of days instead of working as an assistant. I tell you this because if you are working you might not have time to really see all that a nurse has to do. You will be too busy. Also, what assistants do is different from an RN. Finally, I work as an RN 3 days a week (36 hours) from 7 am til 7 pm and I have 4 days off. Since I work bwith an agency I don't work on weekends and all my holidays (except for Memorial Day) are off. I make $45 per hour and my health insurance cost me $200/ month). Some nurses also do travel and go to different places for up to 3 months. I hear they get more than $45 and a furnish apartment while on duty. I think you should shadow a nurse that loves what she does and one that doesn't so you get a better picture. If you are unmarried...traveling to places like Hawaii, US territories like Puerto Rico, and so on might be fun and rewarding. Also know the beauty industry will demand most if not all your weekends. Finally, if you do what you like, you will be happier and that is the most important.

wendy Patton in Nashville, Tennessee

69 months ago

AKline in Ellettsville, Indiana said: I am looking for a dermatology sales position with an emphasis safe effective skin care. I also would be very interested in working with a plastic surgeon working as a medical esthetician. I live in the Bloomington/Indianapolis area. I will be completing my esthetics program in November of this year and will have licensure by the end of the year. I also have years of experience as an RN working in critical care and PACU. Most recently working in pharmaceutical sales. My email is angelaakline@aol.com

Please contact me I have recently partnered with the Dr.'s that created Proactiv. They have 4 new skincare lines available and a unique business opportunity.

wpatton838@yahoo.com

wendy.myrandf.com

Leeza in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

69 months ago

I am conisdering applying to LPN Vocational school in fl. for my RN degree and I too am interested in administering Esthetics (Botox...) Can you do this as an LPN or Medical assistant or do you have to be a RN? How much exp did you have? I would love to know everything I can to get me in the same position. Thanks.

sunny in Chandler, Arizona

69 months ago

I am interested in going to one of the Esthetician schools here in AZ. But now I am confused as to what I can do with that- vs being an RN. I think I may do the esthetician school now and apply for nursing school at the same time (I was told it is a 1-2 year wait for nursing school here anyway) Has anyone done it this way??

I go to an Esthetician here and she does all the fillers and peels and electrolysis. Do plastic surgeons train you on the job for that?

Roz in Fremont, California

69 months ago

Natalie726 in Castle Rock, Colorado said: hello,
I am be basically forced by my soon to be husband to move out to CA. (no bitterness there right) Anyway, I am an Esthetician out in CO and LOVE IT, I make insane money and have a decent clientel. I wanted to look into admistering Botox, Dermal Fillers etc HOWEVER I will have to take state boards over for CA. I know in CO I can be an LVN and do Botox... do I have to be an RN in CA to do all that>?

I might be moving to your specific area in CO. I wanted to get an esthetician license (is that what you mean by LVN). Anyway, where can I go for this and be able to recieve financial aid?

AKline

69 months ago

Karla in Bay Shore, New York said: I'm undecided about becoming a RN nurse or esthetician. I love learning about skin care but doing my research and from word of mouth a RN nurse has a much higher pay. I need advice from an expertise. Should I do both and see where the two programs can get me in my career or just go straight to one of the programs because it would be a waste of time and money to do both?

I am an RN, not practicing currently, but if I were you the RN will make a better living finacially in most cases. But you have to do what you WANT to do. Do your RN now, get a job with a dermatologist and see if skin care is the direction you want to go. If so the doctor you work for may train you all you need to know, without having to do the esthetics program. Hope this helps.

AKline

69 months ago

Roz in Fremont, California said: I might be moving to your specific area in CO. I wanted to get an esthetician license (is that what you mean by LVN). Anyway, where can I go for this and be able to recieve financial aid?

An LVN is a licensed vocational nurse. Nothing close to an esthetics license.

AKline

69 months ago

rndanay17 said: Hi, I see a lot of you are confuse about a career in esthetic versus nursing...while both careers are similar in that they both promote health and wellbeing, they differ in many ways. As a nurse you are caring for various people at once some (depending on your specialty) critically ill. Not only are you going to be caring for the (up to 8 patients) but you will be dealing with their family's concern and doctors, management and tons of charting. You really have to love what you do. I am a critical care nurse and I only get up to 3 patients (very critically ill and sometimes our meds is what keeps them alive until their body could hopefully recover enough to start functioning without artificial assistance. What I am trying to say is that no amount of money in the world is worth it if you are not truly happy doing what you want and most importantly...it is not fair to the patients if you are only there for the money. Yet, I could see how someone could love both fields esthetic and nursing if you have a caring personality. I love nursing and don't ever want to depart from it and that is why I am hoping to work with a dermatologist or lastic surgean to balance my passion for health, beauty and the medical profession.

I totally agree. As an RN you have much greater responsibility for so many different types of patients. Those of you that dont know if you want to be a nurse or an esthetician need to do your homework and talk to people in the professions. Spend the day with them if you can. Hope this helps

Lisa H. in Augusta, Georgia

69 months ago

I completely agree--you have to really love nursing to become one or stay in the profession. I am looking at starting a totally new career (not esthetics) but I am still very interested in esthetics/dermatology--but, in Augusta, Georgia, there aren't many openings for RNs in the derm's office--they mostly use medical assistants so they can pay less, I guess. Right now, I'm trying to formulate my own anti-aging skin cream--wish me luck!

AKline

69 months ago

Lisa H. in Augusta, Georgia said: I completely agree--you have to really love nursing to become one or stay in the profession. I am looking at starting a totally new career (not esthetics) but I am still very interested in esthetics/dermatology--but, in Augusta, Georgia, there aren't many openings for RNs in the derm's office--they mostly use medical assistants so they can pay less, I guess. Right now, I'm trying to formulate my own anti-aging skin cream--wish me luck!

Good luck, keep me posted if you come up with a ground breaking recipe. I will promote it for you!

Jennifer B in Marietta, Georgia

69 months ago

I have my bachelor's degree and worked as an RN before I went back to school in Georgia for esthetics. I have my Georgia esthetics license which requires 1000 hours but now I am moving to Alabama which requires 1500 hours. I would like to work in a dermatologists office or for a plastic surgeon, but I wanted to know if I could do that with a Georgia esthetics license since I am still a Registered Nurse without having to go back to school to get the required 500 hours. Any ideas??

katie in Saint George, Utah

68 months ago

brittanie in Corpus Christi, Texas said: actually you can administer botox as an esthetician... in Texas anyway

Are you making alot money do the Esthetician thing as well as the RN which field is more reliable and pays mores?

Dianna in Wilton, New Hampshire

68 months ago

katie in Saint George, Utah said: Are you making alot money do the Esthetician thing as well as the RN which field is more reliable and pays mores?

As an esthetician, it takes about 3 years to build a clientele, after 3 years it can really pay off.

Keep in mind, the chances of receiving benefits (medical, etc.) are slim, unless you land a job in a doctor's office. An RN is more likely to land a job with benefits.

Dianna, NH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

doubtfire4@wowway.com in Westlake, Ohio

68 months ago

Karla in Bay Shore, New York said: I'm undecided about becoming a RN nurse or esthetician. I love learning about skin care but doing my research and from word of mouth a RN nurse has a much higher pay. I need advice from an expertise. Should I do both and see where the two programs can get me in my career or just go straight to one of the programs because it would be a waste of time and money to do both?

Forget the R.N. program, unless you want to be abused by patients and families. This is no longer the rewarding and honorable job it was 30 yrs ago. The staffing is horrible in hospitals and you will never get a lunch break or for that matter any break in a day. Then they want you to float to other floors that are unfamiliar to your area of expertise. I have been a nurse for 30 yrs and would not allow my daughters to follow in this profession. The doctors even abuse you. I am ready to call it quits. If you really want to make money be a Physical therapist, they only see the patients for a limited time and don't have to deal with all the personal care of the patient. Most places run on a grid so if the census of patients on a floor is low they will float you or send you home, and they will cut the staff so that now you have less personnel to take care of the patients. Good luck, try another field. The nursing is just getting worse.
Kathy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

dRN in Belvidere, Illinois

68 months ago

I have been an RN for four years now working in surgery and am looking move into the asthetics side of nursing. I am moving from Illinois to Texas and am thinking about attending a weekend seminar to get certified in Botox injections/fillers because I feel without this certification I will not be able to land a position. My question is does anyone recomend a certain institute to get your certification? There are so many out there! I am looking to attend in the Dallas or Austin area. Thanks so much!

LBrown in Charlotte, North Carolina

68 months ago

power for a purpose in Franklin, Tennessee said: Hi,

I work for a company that has many RN's and Esthestician's as consultants. The same great doctors that created Proactiv are the founders of this company. If you are looking to share awesome dermatology products with others, and use your skills, this may be a fit for you. Please let me know if you are interested in more information. Thanks.

I would like more info about this company. I am a RN New Grad, and because of the economy, the jobs are short. We are forced to be creative and to seek non-traditional nursing opportunities, not by choice, but by circumstance. I would appreciate any info on plastic surgery/dermatology jobs in the Charlotte area.

Brenda in Taylors, South Carolina

68 months ago

Jennifer in North Augusta, South Carolina said: Hey, I am an BSN, RN and esthetician. I currently work for a plastic surgeon and have also worked for laser centers in the past. In most states RN's are able to perform Laser treatments and Botox, Fillers etc. The laws usually require the Physician to consult the patient first especially for Botox, (sometimes even mark the patient first) and almost always the physician has to be on site, but not direct supervision for lasers. Where do you begin? Well, I do think it helped me get my feet in the door because I have years of skin care experience as an esthetician. You have a major advantage as well since you have ICU experience. I would apply to as many Physicians offices that offer the services you are interested in. Most Doctors love for RN's to do these types of treatments especially Laser treatments, because it makes them $$$ while they are free to do other treatments. Good luck!! The pay is not quite as high as hospital jobs because you usually do not work overtime, nights, weekends, but it is usually $23-35 an hour (I live in SC) working 9-5 mon-fri

Hello, I've never replied to any of these comments, however, I had to reply to yours. I am a nursing student in Greer,SC and I also am a patient at a Plastic Surgery Center where I receive Botox treatments. My final goal in a year and a half is to be an RN at this particular office.

At what point would you suggest I apply to this Center to get my foot in the door? Should I wait until Graduation? Or do you think I should try to squeeze in some work now while I'm in school? I thought maybe you could help me with this question, since you mentioned that your from the South Carolina area.

Thank you,

Brenda

Ashley in Fayetteville, North Carolina

68 months ago

LBrown in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I would like more info about this company. I am a RN New Grad, and because of the economy, the jobs are short. We are forced to be creative and to seek non-traditional nursing opportunities, not by choice, but by circumstance. I would appreciate any info on plastic surgery/dermatology jobs in the Charlotte area.

Hello

I am considering going to school to become an RN and I was wondering what did you mean by non-traditional nursing opportunities? I was also considering esthetics as well. Thank You for any input.

Happy in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

carmelorisquet@aol.com in Lodi, New Jersey said: Please do not become an RN. I have been an RN for 19yrs. and it is the most stressful , underpaid job for what we do,no respect from supervisors and many visitors. Constant interruptions and phone calls, some nasty doctors and believe me you will hate it. All the the new RN'S hate it already and want to quit but because of the money and benefits have to stay. No money is worth it. I am an artistic person and was forced into nursing and I will never forgive that person until my dying day. Now that I have kids and a mortgage, I have no way out. I feel like my life is ruined and often cry my eyes out going into work and get panic attacks because of it. I love the patients and helping them but hate the rest of it.

You are so SAD! I teach nursing and still practice in a cath lab. Nursing has great pay, if you are good at what you do you will never have to worry about having a job! Not everyone can say that, and many would like to!! I find if you have a positive outlook on anything you do, and you always try a smile people will respond to you in the same way. You just need to Smile more and if your not happy in the position you are in try another. There are LOTS of different jobs to be had in the medical profession. Good Luck and be positive

Maria in London, Ontario

68 months ago

After trying to stay positive for 10 years and watching Gen Y enter the field I cannot help but find pure bliss when I am practicing esthetics from my home. I have never been happier! I wish I had started the transition out of nursing years ago. But way to go to those who love it!

denise in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

68 months ago

Go into nursing. Its aj ob that will be popular for years to come with people living longer, has health benefits and a terrific hourly wage. hospitals are offering bonuses for new hires allt he time. good luck

nurseinno in Metairie, Louisiana

68 months ago

Hi!
So glad to have found this site. Anyone have information on getting into Medical Esthetics in LOUISIANA? I am an RN of 10 years. My concern is that I never see jobs posted for RN's in this area for Medi-Spas, Derms or Plastics... Anyone know the job market here? Also, what is the best route to take? After reading the posts I'm wondering if I should pay for classes or try to get training from the MD. Anyone know of any places hiring RN's in New Orleans OR Nashville, TN area and willing to train them? Any RN Estheticians reading this from LA or TN, I would love to speak with you for insight into getting into this field. Thanks for any input!!

monica in Atlanta, Georgia

67 months ago

Jennifer B in Marietta, Georgia said: I have my bachelor's degree and worked as an RN before I went back to school in Georgia for esthetics. I have my Georgia esthetics license which requires 1000 hours but now I am moving to Alabama which requires 1500 hours. I would like to work in a dermatologists office or for a plastic surgeon, but I wanted to know if I could do that with a Georgia esthetics license since I am still a Registered Nurse without having to go back to school to get the required 500 hours. Any ideas??

where in GA you got your license? I am an RN willing to get all the necessary trainig to get in this field. THANKS.

skin girl in Chattanooga, Tennessee

66 months ago

maomom in Los Angeles, California said: how do you get state certified in injectables??

i thought the law in california was that you have to be a nurse to get to do laser or injectables... is this true? or are you a nurse too?

Lisa Noack RN in Pasadena, California

66 months ago

Yes, it is true! You must be an RN to operate Lasers and perform botox and fillers.

akline

66 months ago

Maria in London, Ontario said: After trying to stay positive for 10 years and watching Gen Y enter the field I cannot help but find pure bliss when I am practicing esthetics from my home. I have never been happier! I wish I had started the transition out of nursing years ago. But way to go to those who love it!

Maria,
I would LOVE to do the same. Could you email your email or phone#. My email is snglnrs@aol.com

thanks

66 months ago

okay i have another question... Do you think that i would do better in this skin industry with a degree in business or nursing?

66 months ago

Yes Maria! please e-mail me as well. I would love to know how you came about doing esthetics from your home and loving it. I am a new licensed esthetician and wonder where to go now with my career. any opinions or advice is appreciated. thanks! my email is tbrookestorie@yahoo.com

critcarenurse in Saint Paul, Minnesota

66 months ago

Estheticians with a nursing license can do well in the skin industry. Most work in spas providing services like botox and other types of restorative services.

66 months ago

would you think that a bachelors degree in business would benefit me in the skin care industry better than a degree in nursing?

jennaadrianne in Jacksonville, Arkansas

66 months ago

would u mind me asking how much u make a year?

66 months ago

Phyllis in Des Plaines, Illinois said: To answer your question about pay....for estheticians it is usually hourly plus commissions and tips. You typically will get paid anywhere from 15 - 30/hr, depending on the spa or medispa. Also, you should negotiate a commission for retailing products...this will vary depending on your hourly wage. From what I've heard, you're more likely to receive tips in a day spa or salon as opposed to a medispa or medical office. Hope that helps out a bit.

Do you know of any great skin care schools in the South?

66 months ago

skin girl in Chattanooga, Tennessee said: Yes Maria! please e-mail me as well. I would love to know how you came about doing esthetics from your home and loving it. I am a new licensed esthetician and wonder where to go now with my career. any opinions or advice is appreciated. thanks! my email is tbrookestorie@yahoo.com

Maria I would love to know as well. Please email me Jenna_adrianne@hotmail.com

Maria in London, Ontario

66 months ago

After going through the interview process at spas and seeing how places do not properly sterilize their implements, and how the most well known spas could be so unclean deterred me from working at a spa which was my original plan. I had planned on working for a spa part time for a couple years before I opened my own place, but like I said after seeing how badly some spas operated a couple months before I finished my esthetics course I decided to renovate my basement.

I just opened in June of 2009, I get great business from the local hospitals as I can advertise for free there, plus kijiji. It has slowed down because of school starting up, less people on vacation, etc. so during slow periods I just pick up shifts at the hospital and it has worked out quite well.

I am realistic, I know that it could take 3-5 years before I am busy steadily but I am willing to put in the time and effort!

Patience and committment!

dRN in Austin, Texas

66 months ago

Mary in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi,

I am preparing to move back to Austin, TX and re-enter the workforce after being a stay at home mom for three years. I recently saw a course to become a laser hair removal technician at Austin Community College. I don't have a background in nursing or esthetics, but am interested in this field. Is this all I need to become a laser hair removal technician or do I also have to go to nursing or esthetics school?

Hi Mary-
I also just moved from Illinois to Austin, Tx! After working as an RN in surgery for four yrs I am trying to get into the medspa/derm./esthetics area of nursing. I have found that positions here in Austin are very limited though. To answer your ?...yes I believe that that is all you would need to perform laser hair removal. However, I personally would just go ahead and get your esthetics license. You will have much more opportunity that way. In fact, I am considering going back to school for this just so I can land a position in the field. Hope this helps!....and if your already in Austin and have landed a position.....let me know if they are hiring! Thanks

Lisa H. in Augusta, Georgia

66 months ago

Maria in London, Ontario said: After trying to stay positive for 10 years and watching Gen Y enter the field I cannot help but find pure bliss when I am practicing esthetics from my home. I have never been happier! I wish I had started the transition out of nursing years ago. But way to go to those who love it!

Hi Maria,
I would like to hear from you concerning how you got started, what skin services you offer, etc. I'm an RN ready to move on from the traditional nursing world. My dream job is to work for myself! Please email me lisahatch08@gmail.com. Thanks.

66 months ago

do u recommend getting a nursing degree to be an esthetician?

dRN in Sandy, Texas

65 months ago

I NEED YOUR ADVICE!! I am already a RN and I am desperatly seeking to move into the esthetics/medspa area. The problem is that the RN jobs are very limited where I live, and they all require experience with Botox/fillers. There are a number of jobs available requiring an esthetician license also. My question is....should I take a seminar to be trained in injectables???and if I do this will I be able to land a position without having job experience...or should I go back to get my license as an esthetician??? I've read many comments on this site advising that if you are already an RN to try to get your foot in the door and get trained by the physician. I dont see that opportunity arrising for me! I have had it with hospital nursing and feel that I NEED TO DO SOMETHING NOW to get on track to following my dreams!I understand that an esthetician is unable to do some of the same services as a RN....but at least if I have an esthetician license I can enter into the field! So which is the better route....any advice is appretiated!!!

Lisa Noack in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

Depends on what you want to do! In many states if you want to do Botox and Fillers you must be an RN. Same if you operate Lasers. Depends on how far you want to go in the field of Esthetics.

Lisa Noack in Los Angeles, California

65 months ago

Sandy,
I became board certified in my state from a coarse I took in San Diego. Look online for any coarses that certify in Aesthetics you dont need an esthetician license to do this type of work. RN can do alot more. Good luck hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

What all\l can rn's do and is is worth the money?

65 months ago

I am actively seeking employment! I am an RN with years experience and completing an esthetics program in a couple of weeks. I will be sitting for Indiana state boards by the end of November. I am looking for employment in the south central area of Indiana. I have recovery room and critical care experience and wish to gain employment where I can utilize my new license in Esthetics. I am looking for a medical setting. Please contact me at snglnrs@aol.com

Thanks!
Angie Kline RN BSN

MMW in Quincy, Florida

65 months ago

I work in North Florida, and averaged close to 50,000 a year when I worked full time. Now I work semi full time, around 33 hours a week, and this year I'll hit 40,000. I work on commission and recieve tips. My hours are incredibly flexible and I receive medical, dental and vision insurance. My situation isn't super common, but it can be done. Our spa has three estheticians, and we all do pretty well. Just be very selective about the type of establishment that you work in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « First « Previous   4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.