esthetic instructor

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (45)

Sherri in Montgomery Village, Maryland

68 months ago

I am currently a licensed esthetician. I am contemplating going back to school to become an esthetics teacher. I am not finding ANY info. on the average pay or how easy/hard it is to get a job. Any info. you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (74) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Student in Ashburn, Virginia

68 months ago

I am currently in school and asked my instructor the same questions. She said that you need to have your license and a teaching certificate. Right now I am sure there are schools hiring, but it's probable going to be part time teaching. Hope that helps =)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GreatFacials@aol.com

67 months ago

I would check with Cidesco.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

new beginings in Oakland, California

67 months ago

Sherri in Montgomery Village, Maryland said: I am currently a licensed esthetician. I am contemplating going back to school to become an esthetics teacher. I am not finding ANY info. on the average pay or how easy/hard it is to get a job. Any info. you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

I checked as well. They have done away with the formal schooling. The requirement is 2-3 years of experience in the field itself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sherri in Germantown, Maryland

67 months ago

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mz. E in Springfield, Virginia

66 months ago

Hello All. Can anyone tell me about the Skin Care Center in VA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Cobourg, Ontario

65 months ago

Sherri in Montgomery Village, Maryland said: I am currently a licensed esthetician. I am contemplating going back to school to become an esthetics teacher. I am not finding ANY info. on the average pay or how easy/hard it is to get a job. Any info. you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't know if this is going to help you at all as I live in Canada. I have been teaching for a few years now. I started teaching in a private school and I found this dissatisfying both in terms of pay ($12 an hour) and satisfaction. I moved on to teaching in a chain school...something like Everest College. It was much better there. I was being paid $20 an hour and worked full time. I found it very satisfying. I was then offered a job in a Community College. That job was beyond my wildest dreams. Full medical benefits and $82 an hour. That's right $82 an hour! It was not a full time job, but who needs one at that rate! I worked about 10 hours a week and was still able to work in the salon to keep my edge. Unfortunately in that type of environment you work contract to contract and my school had a drop in attendance which eliminated my job this past September:( I have been looking for teaching work ever since, but my standards are pretty high now. Hope this helps. Good Luck. I LOVE teaching and find it to be the most rewarding job I have ever had!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

GreatFacials@aol.com

65 months ago

First of all Canada's pay scale is much higher than the USA's. Cidesco is the answer to making more money in the Esthetics field.
Business seems to be very slow in Houston, if there is anyone interested in interviewing me let me know please!

tglzr in Atlanta, Georgia

64 months ago

Sherri,

You may want to look at The Elaine Sterling Institute in Atlanta (www.elainesterling.com) which has LEI programs.

Best of Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

64 months ago

First, all states have different requirements. Some may be exoerience, some may reguire taking an "instructors course" through a beauty school (which usually requires the same number of hours as the regular license. This means that, if the esthetics course was 700 hours, the instructors course would be another 700 hours.) The only one who can really answer your question is YOUR state board of cosmetology.

Call them and ask them.

Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

lpt in Bakersfield, California

64 months ago

Jeff,

I am still trying to find median income of instructors in a private school, and I cannot find this information for California. I am looking for hourly wage information. Beginning instructor? Mid-level experience, and lots of experience as you have.

If I may ask, how much would you require per hour to teach esthetics in a school?

Thanks for all you do!

lpt

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Crickett in California

64 months ago

I know several people that instruct in CA schools. One is a part time cosmo instructor at a Community College and she is getting $45 an hour. The other is a Director and she makes about $50 an hour. As Jeff said requirements vary from state to state and school to school.

The community college requires at least an AA and 3 years experience.

You have to research in your area. Call your local schools and ask what their instructor requirements are. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kcs in Kent, Washington

63 months ago

I am also looking for schools that offer instructor training. Does anybody know of any good schools either in Washington or Arizona? Thanks!

Felicia in Tulsa, Oklahoma

63 months ago

GreatFacials@aol.com said: First of all Canada's pay scale is much higher than the USA's. Cidesco is the answer to making more money in the Esthetics field.
Business seems to be very slow in Houston, if there is anyone interested in interviewing me let me know please!

Hello.
I am currently licensed and am now attending Clary Sage College in Tulsa, OK in order to obtain my instructor license. I am looking to move to Houston before the end of this year. I will not be graduating until mid September. Would like to keep in contact with you.

fplumboy@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tphipps in Clarkston, Michigan

60 months ago

Does anyone know the starting salary for an esthetician instructor in michigan? I can't seem to find it on any website.

mai in Scarborough, Ontario

58 months ago

hi,

i am thinking of taking some courses for beauty courses and i have almost graduated from my business diplomat...
so...i never taken any courses before and was wondering if anyone can give me a head up about beocming an esthetician? as well...have anyone taken cidesco exam? if did, can someone explain to me what it will be based on? (like theory, chemistry?)

thanx

Vivian in Palmdale, California

58 months ago

This may help some of you depending on where you live, as I have been in search of Instructor training as well. I have found that Marinello and Milan beauty schools have instructor training courses, and also found on Mildady's website an online instructor training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bill Rice in Decatur, Alabama

58 months ago

I am an Esthetician Instructor from Alabama. When I taught back in 2000, My salary was 4,300 monthly at that time until proration down sized the progam. I am currently looking for position at this time.If there is a web site for esthetician instructor, someone please inform me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

fplumboy@hotmail.com in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

58 months ago

Basically, you need to research where you would like to attend school. You also need to decide if you are more comfortable with a smaller institution or a big, fancy one. I have tried both and prefer the larger. All schools I know of offer financial aide if you need it. With you enrollment monies, everything will be provided you, books and uniforms. Prepare for lots of testing.
Good luck.

Theresa

55 months ago

To the person going to Clary Sage,
I too am contemplating attending the instructor course there. What are your thoughts on the school? Just wondering before I spend the time and money.

Also, Aveda is hiring instructors right now..

Does anyone know if it the instructor certificate is reciprocal in other states? I am planning a big move after training.
Thanks!
Theresa

felicia in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

55 months ago

Hello.
I am excited to receive a message. Was not really sure if this was legit or not.
To answer your question, Clary Sage is a wonderful school. I will tell you that it is pretty big with more students in a school that I have ever seen. They offer esthetics, cosmetology, as well as massage all in the same building. It is very nice and looks more like a spa than a school. The instructors are very nice and professional. I think you will like it. It is one of the more expensive schools, but if you can afford it I can't say anything bad about it.
As far as transferring, I cannot answer that.
Thanks for the heads up on Aveda. I will call them ASAP.

Good luck

felicia in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

55 months ago

Never heard of that credential. However, regarding your desire to teach, you can check with any cosmetology school, and quite a few do offer instructor courses. I transferred my license from Califonia to Oklahoma, but had not practiced in years. As a result, I had to complete 1000 course hours to get my instructor license. If you have been practicing currently, I do believe you can get licensed with less hours. Good luck.

Felicia

RedRen in Gilroy, California

55 months ago

thank you, i will check with the college offering the license.
renee

Bill Rice in Decatur, Alabama

55 months ago

You are welcome!

Chantel in Las Vegas, Nevada

53 months ago

Does anyone know how to become a esthetics teacher in Las Vegas I can't find it anywhere.

RedRen in Morgan Hill, California

53 months ago

hello chantel, i recently was asking the same question here in Calif. i found the school called Marinello that actually offers the course. Also, I found one of the community colleges (not all) that offers it as well. Look and ask anywhere cosmetology is taught and you might find it as i did.
good luck

b in Pasadena, Texas

46 months ago

I am enrolled in the Instructor program. In Texas, you have to have this license, and your associates to work in a community college. In a private institute you just need this Instructor program or maybe not even that at all. Community colleges pay more and I believe it is around 30 + for theory and more for the lab.

ji kim in Seoul, Korea, Republic of

44 months ago

i live in toronto and i'm an esthetician now. but i want to become an esthetics teacher. but i have a no idea how can i be teacher here.
Could u please give me the answer?
i have a esthetician diploma from college
do i have to go school?? like teacher's college or what?

Felicia in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

44 months ago

You need to find a school that offers instructor courses. Fortunately for you, your esthetician license normally allows you to go to school for less hours. The school should give you credit for some hours.

Mary in Carrollton, Texas

44 months ago

I have been an esthetician for 15yrs and am getting ready to take my state boards for my instructor license. Any hints or tips on where I should start my job search? I would like to stay in the DFW metro.

Teresa in Tulsa, Oklahoma

43 months ago

I am a licensed cosmetologist and have been for 23 years. I'm now interested in becoming an esthetician. I know with a cosmetology license I'm "certified" to give facials, but have no expierence... I'm actually more interested in becoming certified for aesthetics. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to go about getting the certifications done and where in the state of Oklahoma. Thanks!

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas

43 months ago

You may want to take a weekend vacation in March and go to Dallas, Texas (Arlington acually) and attend the International Conference and ask around. Many who will be attending will be from Oklahoma.

Here's a link:

dallas.skincareshows.com/

Miz E in Springfield, Virginia

43 months ago

Hi there. I believe that once you have a cosmetology license you have carte blanc to be an esthetician. Depending on your state license requirements and statutes but I can't imagine you need a separate license. Take some vacations and go to some of the aesthetic conferences (write offs as training). sit in on some workshops and tune up your skills.Best of uck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teresa

43 months ago

Jeff B in Dallas, Texas said: You may want to take a weekend vacation in March and go to Dallas, Texas (Arlington acually) and attend the International Conference and ask around. Many who will be attending will be from Oklahoma.

Here's a link:

dallas.skincareshows.com/

This is great info! Thanks for the reply!

Teresa

43 months ago

Miz E in Springfield, Virginia said: Hi there. I believe that once you have a cosmetology license you have carte blanc to be an esthetician. Depending on your state license requirements and statutes but I can't imagine you need a separate license. Take some vacations and go to some of the aesthetic conferences (write offs as training). sit in on some workshops and tune up your skills.Best of uck.

Thank you for the reply. That's what I was thinking but just don't have the experience. Looking forward to learning great things.

beautywizschool@aol.com in Gaithersburg, Maryland

41 months ago

Hi sherri if you are interested in teaching i am in gaithersburg please contact me

41 months ago

felicia in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma said: Never heard of that credential. However, regarding your desire to teach, you can check with any cosmetology school, and quite a few do offer instructor courses. I transferred my license from Califonia to Oklahoma, but had not practiced in years. As a result, I had to complete 1000 course hours to get my instructor license. If you have been practicing currently, I do believe you can get licensed with less hours. Good luck.

Felicia

Hey,
Just wanted to get back with you and hope everything is working out in Oklahoma. I did apply at a private school and landed the position starting at 17.50 per hour with full benefits, go figure. But think of the money the private schools are pulling in expecially when they have 30, 40,50 campuses.
redren

Red in Claremore, Oklahoma

40 months ago

I am a current student at Clary Sage in Tulsa for Esthetics. I have 5 months to go and not much to tell you other than I'll probably be working in a spa setting, as much as i don't want to, to gain experience before working for myself or in a medical esthetics setting. I'd rather work for a dermatologist and do acne extractions all day. It's a job not everyone could do, but i surely could. If anyone in the Tulsa area has any questions about this program, you can ask me or call up Clary because they are the top of the line school in the area. It does look more like a spa than a cosmetology school.

joyce

39 months ago

Did you ever find out where to go to school for teaching?

39 months ago

joyce said: Did you ever find out where to go to school for teaching?

there are several things you can do, i have been hired as an instructor and have spoken to several esthetics instructors and asked their opinion.
1.through the colleges that teach cosmetolgy, some will have a course on teaching. i found one at San Jose City College (Calif, the waiting list is 1-2 years), but it usually does not take that long, some people will not wait.
2.Cidesco will probably get you into the door also, of course. But consider the money and time.
3. When you find an opening sell yourself, have the answers, why you can do this. Have you ever taught anything in any other field, use that too. This is the way i got into one of the largest chains on the west coast.

Tino Lerma in Dallas, Texas

34 months ago

Please be aware that teaching is a calling and that the money made is minimal. Esthetic instructors are under constant scrutiny by students for not having any industry experience, so it helps that you have a fews years of working in the field before getting your instructors license. You are not a "teacher" in esthetics, but an "instructor". Cidesco is an international diploma that serves its purpose if you are to move to Europe where Cidesco is recognized and almost needed to find a "beauty therapist" job. Getting an instructor's license in esthetics does not guarantee a teaching position in the field, but your hard work may pay off if you have perseverance and dedication. If you want to become an educator for a skincare line, no instructor's license or experience is needed unfortunately. Know that you are entering a field filled with highly opinionated, undereducated technicians. It will be your love and passion for the industry and the need to educate such a learner, the catalyst that should make you want enter the "teaching" industry. Good, educated, qualified esthetic instructors are rare in the USA.

P.S. It also helps that you become a massage therapist as most "beauty therapists" all over the world practice esthetics and physiotherapy (massage therapy) under their 1 to 3 year license (on average/ some contries require a master's or doctorate to practice or teach esthetics)or degree. Only in America are licenses merely "technician based" with no degree offered and very little practical (internship/clinical) experience. I hope this helps. Remember teaching is a calling...

Tino Lerma
LE, LEI, LMT, LMTI, CEP
Medical Esthetic Educator
Global Anti-Aging Trainer

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

susan wilder in Reno, Nevada

32 months ago

HELLO, I am a student instructor for aesthetics. you need to contact the schools in your area so see if the owners would be willing to train you and if their head Aesthetician also, would be willing to invest her time. ANOTHER WAY IS TO BASICALLY BE THEIR INSTRUCTOR IF THEY DON'T HAVE ONE, PUT IN YOUR HOURS FOR YOUR CERTIFICATION(their cosmos can help instruct you) You are given a book titled "Master Educator' by milady there are also advanced courses you can take through milady on line YOU NEED to DO 12 MODULES TO ENHANCE YOUR LEARNING AND GET MORE CERTIFICATION which you study and take tests on each chapter ON LINE BUT THEY DO REQUIRE YOU TO PHYSICALLY TAKE TWO CLASSES IN PERSON AT LISTED LOCATIONS NEAREST YOU. If you have been in the field you can go for a Instructors certification with a school then take the state board exam for your license. (It takes 500 hrs. in Nevada)- check your state rules and regulations. In NEVADA if you are not in the field for the last 2 years which is my case you have to go for the student instructor for 700 hrs. then get your PIL at the end. some schools will train you for free because they are happy to get an educator others will charge you it really depends on them, the school you train at may not be the one you end up working for they caN pay from minimum wage and on up you can also work for your community college as an Aeshetic instructor and make more like $35 an hour it just depends on what you have available to you in your state. good luck

Takisha in Northridge, California

32 months ago

Crickett in California:

Can you please find out from your friends what schools in California offer the Esthetican Instructor course so I can become an Instructor. I have googled and ask around and no one seems to know where I can take the two classes I need to become certified in Instructing or become a certified Esthetician Instructor. I would appreciate any advise or help you can give.

Thank you.

Crickett in California said: I know several people that instruct in CA schools. One is a part time cosmo instructor at a Community College and she is getting $45 an hour. The other is a Director and she makes about $50 an hour. As Jeff said requirements vary from state to state and school to school.

The community college requires at least an AA and 3 years experience.

You have to research in your area. Call your local schools and ask what their instructor requirements are. Good luck

Cristina in Coral Gables, Florida

26 months ago

Sherri in Montgomery Village, Maryland said: I am currently a licensed esthetician . I am contemplating going back to school to become an esthetics teacher. I am not finding ANY info. on the average pay or how easy/hard it is to get a job. Any info. you have would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Sherri,

I work for a school group and hire instructors. In the state of Maryland you have to be licensed as an esthetician for 2 years. If the school is accredited it's 3 years. Hope this helps! No seperate instructors license in the state of MD yet.

VeronicaK in Los Angeles, California

11 months ago

Yes you can give facials but having a separate license is always a great thing cause from what I heard from my cosmo friends they lightly touched apon it... I went to a Community College that was an IDI partner school... had an INTENSIVE curriculum.

Teresa in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: I am a licensed cosmetologist and have been for 23 years. I'm now interested in becoming an esthetician . I know with a cosmetology license I'm "certified" to give facials, but have no expierence... I'm actually more interested in becoming certified for aesthetics. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to go about getting the certifications done and where in the state of Oklahoma. Thanks!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.