Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

How did you get your start doing estimator work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

ROBERTO in Los Angeles, California

98 months ago

HOW TO START ASA RECENT GRADUATE IN CONTRUCTION ESTIMATING?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ROBERTO in Los Angeles, California

98 months ago

how do you start working after you graduate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kara in Grand Rapids, Minnesota

78 months ago

I am a recruiter that works the California GC market and I can tell you that good estimators are hard to find but there are ALWAYS companies looking. They are mostly interested in someone who has experience with Timberline Estimating software and currently the market is directed towards folks who have bid jobs such as public works, schools, courthouses, college campus work etc ... and folks who have a working knowledge of the Healthcare construction industry. My suggestion to all recent grads with CM degrees is to brush up on your Timberline skills and take classes if needed to learn the Primavera softwares as well. Your resumes should include anything that you have done construction related, all of the software that you are proficient at as well as the ones that you have a working knowledge of, your college, degree and grad year and any projects that you worked on in or out of school and what your role was. If you have several make up a seperate project list to send along with your resume. Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance! I am currently looking for solid candidates with the above experience / qualifications myself! Have a good one!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ogden Stanislaus in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

64 months ago

You need a good working knowledge of construction materials, methods, etc.

Using that knowledge, with good organizational skills, you can easily learn how to breakdown the components of a projects's pieces and calculate the materials, labor, and equipment required for pricing, then "re-assemble" the estimate for total costs.

Good knowledge of any spreadsheet software is a plus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MGibbons in Hartford, Connecticut

63 months ago

Hi. I was recenlty laid off and have 3yrs experience estimating with, what was, a leading GC in the Boston area. I did work on our Harvard/MIT/Berklee/Northeastern accounts... mainly insitutinal renovations and ground ups. The market conditions got rough and they had to cut nearly 75% of the company over the last year... bringing the total number of employees to just over 300. I am looking for estimating work in California... mainly in northern Cali... wondering if you could help. I could send you my resume if you are still a recruiter. Please let me know. Thanks.

Kara in Grand Rapids, Minnesota said: I am a recruiter that works the California GC market and I can tell you that good estimators are hard to find but there are ALWAYS companies looking. They are mostly interested in someone who has experience with Timberline Estimating software and currently the market is directed towards folks who have bid jobs such as public works, schools, courthouses, college campus work etc ... and folks who have a working knowledge of the Healthcare construction industry. My suggestion to all recent grads with CM degrees is to brush up on your Timberline skills and take classes if needed to learn the Primavera softwares as well. Your resumes should include anything that you have done construction related, all of the software that you are proficient at as well as the ones that you have a working knowledge of, your college, degree and grad year and any projects that you worked on in or out of school and what your role was. If you have several make up a seperate project list to send along with your resume. Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance! I am currently looking for solid candidates with the above experience / qualifications myself! Have a good one!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.