Becoming Certified

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 200)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

EventPlannerChick in Palm Springs, California

83 months ago

Any recommendations for becoming certified as an Event Planner and Wedding Consultant? I have had trouble locating schools that offer actual certification. A lot just offer training...any tips would be helpful. shannonmarie24@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (171) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Freelancer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

79 months ago

There aren't any schools that offer "certification", rather you can receive a "certificate" from a school. Some schools also offer degree programs. There are many types of "certification" that can be obtained through the various trade organizations associated with the events industry.

The most popular and recognized certifications are the CSEP, Certified Special Event Professional which is offered through ISES, the International Special Events Society, and the CMP, Certified Meeting Planner which is offered through MPI, Meeting Professionals International. Membership in these organizations isn't necessary to receive certification, but is recommended. I assume you're trying to get your foot in the door in this business, and becoming a member of a trade organization is a great way to make contacts. I'm a member of ISES and absolutely love it.

However, you mentioned becoming a Wedding Consultant. Seeing as wedding planning is a world of its own, I would recommend you looking into these two groups: the Association of Bridal Consultants and Weddings Beautiful Worldwide, a division of the National Bridal Service.

I know you asked your question a while ago, but I hope this helps. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (81) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Celeste in Dunnellon, Florida

79 months ago

Stratford Careet Institute offers a Wedding Consultant/Planning class. You can earn a diploma in the convenience of your own home.

EventPlannerChick in Palm Springs, California said: Any recommendations for becoming certified as an Event Planner and Wedding Consultant? I have had trouble locating schools that offer actual certification. A lot just offer training...any tips would be helpful. shannonmarie24@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

VIVIENNE BARNETT in Kingston, Jamaica

78 months ago

I would like to apply for the certified events planning professional course and also to find out about the fourum.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anne, CMP in Minneapolis, Minnesota

78 months ago

Freelancer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: There aren't any schools that offer "certification", rather you can receive a "certificate" from a school. Some schools also offer degree programs. There are many types of "certification" that can be obtained through the various trade organizations associated with the events industry.

The most popular and recognized certifications are the CSEP, Certified Special Event Professional which is offered through ISES, the International Special Events Society, and the CMP, Certified Meeting Planner which is offered through MPI, Meeting Professionals International. Membership in these organizations isn't necessary to receive certification, but is recommended. I assume you're trying to get your foot in the door in this business, and becoming a member of a trade organization is a great way to make contacts. I'm a member of ISES and absolutely love it.

However, you mentioned becoming a Wedding Consultant. Seeing as wedding planning is a world of its own, I would recommend you looking into these two groups: the Association of Bridal Consultants and Weddings Beautiful Worldwide, a division of the National Bridal Service.

I know you asked your question a while ago, but I hope this helps. :)

As a Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) I would like to add to this posting. I obtained my CMP designation through the Convention Industry Council. The Convention Industry Council otherwise known as the CIC established, governs and grants the CMP designation. You can find more information on their website: www.conventionindustry.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

curious... in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

I am in career transition and was interested in learning more about event and/or wedding planning.
Does anyone know a good course in Philadelphia.
Is there a certain certification one would need to even start, or do you need to pay to be a member to one of the organizations, or both? (I have read these other postings and still and a little unclear).

Are there any larger companies and do smaller independant companies hire out (ex: if one were to get cetification, etc., do already existing companies hire or train someone trying to get into the business?
Or do most people work indepentently?

Any imput would be great-thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

You don't need certification to start planning events. First try to figure out what type of events you want to plan. In essence all events are the same, but there is a difference between weddings, conferences, fundraisers, and fashion shows. Also, do you want to work in-house or at an event planning firm? Try to figure out what industry you would like to work in. Then you can focus your energy towards reaching that goal.

Since you are in Philadelphia, you should look into Temple University's Event Leadership Executive Certificate Program. It's a world renown program and people have traveled from as far as Florida and the Philippines to participate. This program will help you figure out the types of events you want to plan, learn industry basics and lingo, get practical experience, etc. Check out the website for the program at www.temple.edu/sthm/el. Once a month there are information sessions you can go to to learn more. You can also talk to the Program Coordinator by calling 215-204-6126. Students in the program range from planners who've been in the industry for years to those just starting out. Also, please remember there is a difference between "certification" and a "certificate".

Membership to ISES, MPI, or other trade organizations can be kind of expensive. But if you join the Temple program you can get a drastically reduced student membership. Go to meetings to network and talk to people about their experiences. You can also attend meetings as a non-member, but the fee you pay per meeting is more than what members pay. ISES Philadelphia is having its February meeting on Feb. 27, 2008 at 6pm. To learn more go to www.ISESphila.com.

The Philadelphia market is hard to get into. There are many independent planners and there are companies as well, but don't expect a company to "train" you. Start by researching Temple's Event Leadership Program and ISES. If you still have more questions come back here and I'd be happy to help you out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ilia Killeen in New York, New York

77 months ago

dose anyone know of a web site in which I can get certified in meeting planner?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kari in Sacramento, California

77 months ago

EventPlannerChick in Palm Springs, California said: Any recommendations for becoming certified as an Event Planner and Wedding Consultant? I have had trouble locating schools that offer actual certification. A lot just offer training...any tips would be helpful. shannonmarie24@yahoo.com

You should check out The Wedding Planning Institute. Their curriculum is specifically for wedding planners and it is offered in most accredited colleges and universities. You can enroll directly or through a local university or community college. The difference is that you can get financial aid through the college. This course also offers an internship when you take it at a college. I was able to participate in the planning and execution of 4 weddings during the semester I took the class.
www.weddingplanninginsitute.com

Good Luck
K

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

kari in Sacramento, California

77 months ago

kari in Sacramento, California said: You should check out The Wedding Planning Institute. Their curriculum is specifically for wedding planners and it is offered in most accredited colleges and universities. You can enroll directly or through a local university or community college. The difference is that you can get financial aid through the college. This course also offers an internship when you take it at a college. I was able to participate in the planning and execution of 4 weddings during the semester I took the class.
www.weddingplanninginsitute.com

Good Luck
K

whoops...sorry it is www.weddingplanninginstitute.com

whoops sorry it is www.weddingplanninginstitute.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

e in Chicago, Illinois

77 months ago

Celeste in Dunnellon, Florida said: Stratford Careet Institute offers a Wedding Consultant/Planning class. You can earn a diploma in the convenience of your own home.

i work for a school. beaware that more than half of these school that are mention above are no more than diploma mills, not Certifications!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

e in Chicago, Illinois said: i work for a school. beaware that more than half of these school that are mention above are no more than diploma mills, not Certifications!

Temple University is a highly accredited university and is not a "diploma mill". The certificate program I mentioned above is offered through their School of Tourism and Hospitality Management and is associated with the Fox School of Business. It was also named "Best Certificate Program in the World" by the International Festivals and Events Association.

Also, as I said before, you cannot receive Certification from a school. There is a big difference between a "Certificate" and "Certification". A certificate is a piece of paper you receive once you have completed a program that teaches you more about the field. In the case of the Temple program you also get real world experience. A certification is a professional designation issued through one or more trade organizations; the CSEP through ISES and the CMP through the CIC. This is obtained from years of experience and testing. Once you receive one of these designations you have the privilege of having these letters after your name to show your experience, professionalism, and dedication to the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shawn in Washington, District of Columbia

77 months ago

Freelancer in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Temple University is a highly accredited university and is not a "diploma mill". The certificate program I mentioned above is offered through their School of Tourism and Hospitality Management and is associated with the Fox School of Business. It was also named "Best Certificate Program in the World" by the International Festivals and Events Association.

Also, as I said before, you cannot receive Certification from a school. There is a big difference between a "Certificate" and "Certification". A certificate is a piece of paper you receive once you have completed a program that teaches you more about the field. In the case of the Temple program you also get real world experience. A certification is a professional designation issued through one or more trade organizations; the CSEP through ISES and the CMP through the CIC. This is obtained from years of experience and testing. Once you receive one of these designations you have the privilege of having these letters after your name to show your experience, professionalism, and dedication to the field.

You are exactly right!! People often confuse certificates with certifications. A certification is the way to go; however, if you are just starting in the field (entry level), I would suggest obtaining a certificate and once you gain several years in the field, go for your certification.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Esmeralda Villa in Chicago, Illinois

77 months ago

I am making a career change and have alot of questions as far as how to get started, where to take a course, certification, or trainning?? I am still trying to decide what type of events i want to focus on... Any recommendations??? Thanks esmeraldavilla@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Isabelle Hubert in Queens Village, New York

76 months ago

Is there an institution that these schools or programs answser to as far ar accredidation?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

parome in New York, New York

75 months ago

Starting out in NY-and I'm Looking for event planners in the area, with the following requirements:

-females, ages 20-25.
-2+ years of experience.
-bilingual- english/spanish a plus.

*salary: based on a percentage per event.

visit the website at www.parome.com (website under construction).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kisha in Norcross, Georgia

75 months ago

Since my recent move to ATL I have decided I would like a to change career fields I was a Head Teacher Coordinator, but now I am interested in doing events outside of a daycare. Does anyone know any schools or programs in the ALT area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jenni in Waterford, Michigan

74 months ago

I want to get into corporate event planning
Where do i even start?
What colleges even offer such curriculum?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alma Cousley in Brooklyn, New York

74 months ago

I am a self-motivated individual seeking an internship to gain hands on experience in Event Planning, in NYC. If anyone is interested in hiring me as an intern or has any information on the best sites to shop around for an internship, please contact me via e-mail almacousley@gmail.com

I am 23yrs old with no prior experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Raleigh, North Carolina

72 months ago

Hi! I was googling different ways to earn certification and came across US Event Guide. I wanted to know if anyone has gone through their program and if it's the real deal?!?! They have a combined certification program in which you earn a CEP & CWP certificate. Their website is www.useventguide.com I hope someone can help me before I waste any $$$!

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sara W Davis in New York, New York

72 months ago

There are just a handful of certifications that are taken seriously in the meeting/events field, and you can only earn them after being in the industry for a few years. I have my CMP (Certified Meeting Professional) - I had to qualify based on my experience (8 years professional, 3 years volunteer/part-time college jobs) to even be able to take the exam. The CMM and CSEP are two others - any certification that you can get online is not really comparable to any of the programs run by well-known meeting/event industry groups. You'd do better to put your money into joining one of the associations for planners (Meeting Professionals International, International Special Event Society, etc) and take some meeting/event planning courses from a good school with a recognized hospitality program.

The fact that the US Event Guide website states that "Participation in real world training is optional" to obtain this piece of paper is so far from what the industry is that it's funny. No one will give you a moment's more time because of this piece of paper if you have absolutely no experience to back it up - don't waste your money!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jewel in Windsor, Connecticut

72 months ago

Hello everyone - by profession, I am a marketing consultant (strategic marketing for a financial services company). I have been planning events on my own for myself, friends and non-profits that I'm involved with.

Any suggestions on how to construct my resume to demonstrate this? I just don't know how, since I'm so used to just focusing on highlighting my 9-5 job.

I think in the long run I would like to do it independently but I am looking to apply for some Event Coordinator jobs in Miami and was looking for help getting my resume looked at. Thank you!

Joann in Los Angeles, California

72 months ago

It's been a long-life dream of mine have my own business planning events. And,I'm finally going to make the leap. Thanks for this dialogue; your comments have been extremely helpful.

shirlene in Newmarket, Ontario

71 months ago

Hello,

I need some help, I am trying to find a physical school that has an event planning or a wedding planning course located in New York. I am not interested in any online courses I would like to attend a school............Thanks in advance.

jewel in Port Jefferson, New York

71 months ago

I believe temple university school of hospitality and management

Renee in Indianapolis, Indiana

71 months ago

I am a senior in high school and I want to become a wedding planner... What universities in Indiana or close to Indiana have this major (I have googled this about a hundred times and I can't find but a few schools that have this sort of major...but it's not really what I want to do... the major that I am seeing is travel and tourism management...i want wedding planning)? Is wedding planning even an actual major, and if not what should I major in to help me get my foot in the door? I don't know how to go about getting into this career... What should I do?!?! I have to apply for colleges soon and I am struggling big time! HELP ME!

Tiffany in Pasadena, Maryland

70 months ago

Shawn in Washington, District of Columbia said: You are exactly right!! People often confuse certificates with certifications. A certification is the way to go; however, if you are just starting in the field (entry level), I would suggest obtaining a certificate and once you gain several years in the field, go for your certification.

Hey Shawn

I am too from the DC area. I am trying to transition into Wedding/Event Planning as a full time job. Do you have any good advice for me? I have not yet got my cerificate. I will be taking course come January. But I am wonder can you or anyone provide mw with hsome good advice on what steps to take first?

Thanks
Tiffany

AngelaD

70 months ago

I just joined ISES. I see the information for taking the Certification Exam, but no information for any seminars courses for the CSEP.

This is a career change for me. In my previous HR role, I had to take certification courses before I took the exam. How does the CSEP work? Where can I get information regarding cert courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EddieVan in New Hampshire

70 months ago

Well if you worked in the business there are free industry publications. There are to many event planners that don't know how to spec gear. Not to get into rigging sound lighting video. AC power!!!!! lots of info is needed to do a large scale show, over a 50K seat venue. . Get a job at a conference center, and learn. Listen to the trades crew working the events, they know what they can provide for you, and clients. One event person gets made because the client will ask me and not her questions. Why she don't know the limitations of any gear, AC power, or rigging. Get a basic A/V back ground to know how far the projectors needs to be, how much sound, and make it sound good. Wireless mics, video switchers. Theres more to an event than parking lot size. We didn't even get into staging yet. And codes. Get some knowledge first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AngelaD

70 months ago

Thanks, I just applied at a large convention center in the area, specifically for this reason. I've handle small events, need experience with the larger ones.

Tiffany Madison in Washington, District of Columbia

70 months ago

EddieVan in New Hampshire said: Well if you worked in the business there are free industry publications. There are to many event planners that don't know how to spec gear. Not to get into rigging sound lighting video. AC power!!!!! lots of info is needed to do a large scale show, over a 50K seat venue. . Get a job at a conference center, and learn. Listen to the trades crew working the events, they know what they can provide for you, and clients. One event person gets made because the client will ask me and not her questions. Why she don't know the limitations of any gear, AC power, or rigging. Get a basic A/V back ground to know how far the projectors needs to be, how much sound, and make it sound good. Wireless mics, video switchers. Theres more to an event than parking lot size. We didn't even get into staging yet. And codes. Get some knowledge first.

My next question would be how are you to do that and still have a fulltime day job? Do they have evening events for the large convention centers? I can not just quit my curre t job without making money on the event planning side. I haven't yet got started yet. That I need to figure out too. How to start this whole thing?

ed in Manchester, New Hampshire

70 months ago

It good to hear that you will be learnning the job. Talk to the A/V people to learn lens distance to projectors, 1:2 = 20' for a 10' screen. Flying all gear from trussing is cool and looks better, hide the A/V carts if you have to. Good Luck, and I do supply gear and production in MD.

AngelaD

70 months ago

I'm in a situation that I can put the catering biz on hold as soon as I find a full-time event planning job in the area. Then I can supplement with the Catering and small in-house event planning on the side if I need to.

Katherine Clark in Williamstown, New Jersey

70 months ago

I looked up The Event Leadership Executive Certificate Program from Temple University in Philadelphia and was thinking about doing the program. I was wondering if anyone out there went through the program and if it helped them. I want to eventually do different event planning, from brithday parties to weddings, is this a program that will help me? I appreciate any info.

EddieVan in New Hampshire

70 months ago

With the slow economy, and most planners own no gear this makes it hard to make money. Some companies have years of experiance and all the rental gear. I have a 20 years of steady client base work but it took time, and money to get there. We oewn all our A/V gear that is top shelf, from speaker systems from small to very large venues, HD LCD projectors and screens, lighting, trussing, lifts, AC power distros. Save your money and get a job with a event company and learn on the job. Make contacts with DJs, musicians, sound rental staff, and banquit staff at all your local places. School is great but doing it is a more financial means, then join a evnt group and they will give you a membership. Get some industry publications there free like Event Solutions. There are many trade mags out there. I will be in next months Pro Sound News under Sound Check for my events and lsted again as a tech for Woodstock Fair CT where I have five sound systems running all weekend. I never went to school for events but have worked them for 45 years. I did take electrical, and audio classes, becoame a member in Audio Engineering, and past my test for a state lic. As a small hick company in NH I do work in Boston all the time from college to First Night do to our high tech work with Cat5 audio & video feeds, phone lines, compuer going from anywhere as needed in the world for a tele-conf.

candice

70 months ago

I have been working for a Company who does corporate events for 11years. My sister has been doing banquets for a local hotel for 5. We want to team up and become wedding planners. I have read all the post and will belooking into all of the programs and sites suggested. If there is any other suggestions on places anyonw knows in the Maryland area i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any help!

AndrewsAVS in NH in Manchester, New Hampshire

70 months ago

If your sister has been working corp gigs for 11 years she should recieved an invite to training programs and the ICA, CATIE Awards in Vegas, the place to go. There is more tech knowlege required now more than ever in large corp events. Wedding planners are more of a political situation on the parties wants, and needs, much easy-er than corp event production with speakers, projectors, screens, lighting, rigging, backdrops, AC power, techs, security, set design, ect. As a wedding planner You don't need school, just a good reputation, and contacts. The inhouse venue staff will plan for most events so your contacts, photos, and refferals are a key to getting work. If you need bands use an agent to have something to make your needs solid. DJs suck but work good so get to now a bunch. I can drop you some names of bands, and video people. Sorry I do't do DJs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Emily Peterson in Pompano Beach, Florida

69 months ago

I am graduating in May 2009 from the University of Florida with a Bachelor's degree in public relations and a minor in business administration. I'm moving to San Diego, CA right after I graduate. I am eager to get become a wedding consultant but I don't know where to start. I picked up an internship at a local wedding consultant firm but I'm afraid my semester long experience won't be enough to land me a job after graduation.

I keep hearing about these certifications you can do online. How essential are these classes for a newbie like me?

What else can I do? What type of salary can I expect to make after I graduate?

Ed in Manchester, New Hampshire

69 months ago

Get a job in sales at a conference center and learn the whole event business. You can belong to all the self certifications but your reputation is the best.

amanda in Harrisonburg, Virginia

69 months ago

I am thinking of starting my own event planning business. I know that i want to plan socail events....such as anniversaries, any type of parties, and def weddings. I want to take an online course to become a certified event planner, but i am having trouble finding one that actually "certifies". i have been looking into sheffield. does anyone have any suggestions? it would be greatly appreciated.

Ofelia Sounik in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

69 months ago

My Name is Ofelia and Iam studing for Weeding and Event planner by online. The school is Us Carrer Institute it is very complete course.Try this one.

Kathy in Dallas, Texas

69 months ago

I am looking to get into the Event Planning Industry.

I was hoping that someone could suggest a good school, in the Dallas area that I could go to to obtain a certification in Event Planning.

Also any recommendations on what I should do to get my foot in the door?

I worked at EDS for nearly 20 years and have a varied background. I held various positions such as, Travel Agent/Hotel Negotiator, Production Coordinator in the Video/Film arena, Sales Support position for Internet and New Media, Relocation/Corporate Housing Coordinator. I've worked on large events such as the EDS/GM Employee Auto Show with attendance of 11,000.

Any advise is much appreciated.

Ed in Manchester, New Hampshire

69 months ago

Read event publications. The event directory black book is a good start. You will find me listed there along with many others. Good luck.

val in Warren, New Jersey

69 months ago

I just retired from 30+ years on wall st as a trader. My friend worked on wall st as well and recently eliminated due to a downsize. The two of us with two highly motivated entrepreneurial housewives are looking to go into the business of corp event planning. We all have planned events in our lives just not for profit. So we would like some form of training and help with setting up a business. I am looking at the online courses mentioned above as well as q c event planning. I do understand they all give you certificates which is very different from industry recognized certifications. here is my question: knowing we want to start up asap which course would you recommend ? we need a crash course from the very basic through naming and structuring our company and how to get clients. Problem is my friend was given a year package after that if she is not earning income she will need to go back to the corporate world so time is very key. I see all the online courses say the same things and offer very similar packages but we need to get the most out of this as possible. thanks .

divinebovine85 in sydney, Australia

68 months ago

Being an event planner is so cool, it's not the usual behind the desk job and it's definitely not boring. Plus, you'll be able to meat new people and extend your connections!
I've heard about this site, an online course about how to be an event planner. My friend actually said it awesome but you can check it out for your self. www.inst.org/event/become.htm
You can also find more courses online, I'm sure there are loads to choose from.

theresa in Pottstown, Pennsylvania

66 months ago

American Association of Wedding Planners offers certification just google AAWP

Lydia in Windhoek, Namibia

66 months ago

I am about to register my own Events planning company at the age of 25. I must say its not easy,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lydia in Windhoek, Namibia

66 months ago

I am about to register my events company this year at the age of 25, I must say its not easy but it really is exiting!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelly in Saint Augustine, Florida

66 months ago

Nicole in Raleigh, North Carolina said: Hi! I was googling different ways to earn certification and came across US Event Guide. I wanted to know if anyone has gone through their program and if it's the real deal?!?! They have a combined certification program in which you earn a CEP & CWP certificate. Their website is www.useventguide.com I hope someone can help me before I waste any $$$!

Thanks

Did you finally go this route or did you end up finding something else that worked better for you?

marquee hire in New Malden, United Kingdom

65 months ago

Ultimately the best way of really learning is in thew doing - while we sedn all our staff on courses etc, it is the act of events themselves that they really have their best learning. We are an outdoor and marquee hire company www.3dmarquees.com and have won international awards year on year, so we msut be doing something right.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.