Becoming an Event/Wedding planner

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

serena2007 in Modesto, California

69 months ago

hi i am currently attenting a junior college and my goal is to become an Event/Wedding planner. i was wondering what i should major in to help me with my goal. i was think about majoring business.. if there is a better major that would help me with becoming a better event/wedding planner please inform me.. thank you for your help..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

LC in San Jose, California

52 months ago

Hi Sheena,

I was interested in getting my certification with the International Institute of Weddings through Superweddings.com. I had a simple question for them and made 3 attempts to email them, since this is their preference. However, after almost 3 weeks of no response to any of my emails, I am wondering if they are still legit. Did you take the course yourself? How long ago was this. I even tried calling them. I got a recording that didn't even state the business name. It would be great if you can tell me why you recommend them and if you know they are still in business. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks, LC

justme in Winnipeg, Manitoba said: There is a very helpful free site packed with information on becoming an event planner - a must-read for anyone interested in becoming an event planner.

It is www.how-to-become-an-event-planner.com .

If your interest specifically lies in the area of becoming a wedding planner, then you really need a specialized wedding planner certification course. One of the most well recognized and longest established is The SuperWeddings Certification Program ( www.superweddings.com/weddingconsulting.html ). It is offered in association with The International Institute of Weddings ( www.instituteofweddings.com ). This is by far the most thorough course in the industry for anyone wanting to become a wedding planner. Its also the most reasonably priced by a long shot.

Even with a college degree in business, a specialized wedding planner certification course is really a necessity to get the type of specialized knowledge you'll require, specific to the field of wedding planning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

I'm sorry, this message was for "justme" in Winnipeg.

LC in San Jose, California said: Hi Sheena,

I was interested in getting my certification with the International Institute of Weddings through Superweddings.com. I had a simple question for them and made 3 attempts to email them, since this is their preference. However, after almost 3 weeks of no response to any of my emails, I am wondering if they are still legit. Did you take the course yourself? How long ago was this. I even tried calling them. I got a recording that didn't even state the business name. It would be great if you can tell me why you recommend them and if you know they are still in business. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks, LC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Brooklyn, New York

50 months ago

I started the course from International Institute of Weddings from Superweddings.com. The course information is absolutely fabulous and intensive I learned much more than what is included in other schools. The price was cheaper too. However I do have a difficult time reaching them via email. I usually have to do it two or three times and then they forward it to whomever I am trying to reach.

Hopefully it will all work out. I will come back and let you know.

48 months ago

Well I just finished my first assignement. It was great it really got me thinking and my business plan is complete. I'm excited about the second assignment because I know that will more than likely help me get my vendor list going. Once I am done with that assignment I will be done and will receive my certificate. :) I am really enjoying the whole process.

Margaret in San Antonio, Texas

48 months ago

Hi Ladies! I am also enrolled with superwedding.com and have completed Sessions 1 & II. I have been sending numerous email requesting to receive my last assignment and have not received a response back. It has been 15 days and no response. Are they still in business? Angie, did they respond back to you? I saw that you posted eight days ago. Are they still in business?...anyone know? Has anyone received their certificate? I am a little skeptical myself in wondering the authenticity of this program since it is so hard to communicate and to get someone to respond. This is what their site says under FAQ "Please feel free to contact us by email with any questions you may have and you can be assured of a prompt and very detailed reply from one of our friendly and helpful representative." "You receive full online support. Your instructor is just an email away any time you have questions, or require additional advice or guidance. Our administration staff is also always available to assist you via email if you require additional support or assistance." They say a prompt response and when it takes 15 days or more I begin to wonder. Hopefully they are just overwhelmed with business and students and that is the reason for the delayed responses... I loved the course, though! Very informative...learned a lot. They teach that it is important to stay in contact with clients and to respond to them in a timely fashion. I think they should do the same. It's scary when you don't get a response back after spending all that money. There are so many online scams and you never can be too sure...especially when there is no contact phone # and a live person. Hopefully we will all have good results with superweddings.com. I hope they get back with me soon...i really want my certificate. :) Blessings to all!!!

48 months ago

Hi Margaret

I know someone else posted on this board that has their certificate from International Institute of Wedding (superweddings.com) I sent an email to the administration email address and it turns out my instructor was on vacation. Her automatic email notification wasn't working. They sent me the second assignment.

I always seem to have trouble with emails, it usually for some reason takes two weeks or so to get a reply after a few emails to various department. Maybe its a test to see if you will keep your decorum when dealing with them, I don't know. I remember reading something about them taking everything into account even your attitutde.

Anyway I'm still glad I went with this school because I have learned a lot about how to run a Wedding Planning business. When I am done I plan on taking the ABC course too just so I can join their Association too. Being apart of two seems better than one to me and hey it really can't hurt. ABC is so well known.

Who is your instructor? They might be on vacation. Send and email to the administration email address and ask if your instructor is on vacation and if so could they send you your first assigment. My instructor will be back next week and then sometimes after that I will get a response in regards to my first assignment.

Good luck! I will keep everyone here posted.

47 months ago

Margaret in San Antonio, Texas said: Hi Ladies! I am also enrolled with superwedding.com and have completed Sessions 1 & II. I have been sending numerous email requesting to receive my last assignment and have not received a response back. It has been 15 days and no response. Are they still in business? Angie, did they respond back to you? I saw that you posted eight days ago. Are they still in business?...anyone know? Has anyone received their certificate? I am a little skeptical myself in wondering the authenticity of this program since it is so hard to communicate and to get someone to respond. This is what their site says under FAQ "Please feel free to contact us by email with any questions you may have and you can be assured of a prompt and very detailed reply from one of our friendly and helpful representative." "You receive full online support. Your instructor is just an email away any time you have questions, or require additional advice or guidance. Our administration staff is also always available to assist you via email if you require additional support or assistance." They say a prompt response and when it takes 15 days or more I begin to wonder. Hopefully they are just overwhelmed with business and students and that is the reason for the delayed responses... I loved the course, though! Very informative...learned a lot. They teach that it is important to stay in contact with clients and to respond to them in a timely fashion. I think they should do the same. It's scary when you don't get a response back after spending all that money. There are so many online scams and you never can be too sure...especially when there is no contact phone # and a live person. Hopefully we will all have good results with superweddings.com. I hope they get back with me soon...i really want my certificate. :) Blessings to all!!!

Hi Margaret

Did you get in contact with the school. I just finished the second assignment and am waiting for my review.

47 months ago

I appreciate all these posts. I had posted last 5 months ago, asking if anyone new if supperweddings.com was still in business and no one responded. Seems like people still don't know. I have checked their website and obviously the business is still going, as they have completely changed and updated their website. All I can tell you - 5 months later, I still never received a phone call to message I had left or a response to any of my emails. It's awesome the course info is informative, but going through this hassle isn't worth it. There price for the course is extremely cheap compared to all the other well known places. Don't get me wrong, I agree it's still a lot of money. I guess the saying "the price you pay is what you get", seems to apply to this company. I find it amusing how they emphasize how we have to respond on a timely manner and be professional and if we don't they will "drop" us. They really need to work on doing what they preach!

47 months ago

Hi LC

I agree that their response is very poor. I just finished my last assignment with them. My instructor is better at contacting me now though. I found out she was on vacation for a while and her automatic response wasn't working.

I really enjoyed the course and although it was a hassle at times to send emails to different depts. to get a response I am glad I took it. The price was right and the information in the course was excellent. Unfortunately you have to stay on top of them with emails.

I was considering taking the course with Sheffield now since someone said you qualify to join the ISES but paying over $1,000 to me is ridiculous. The reviews sound good for them but I haven't read where they offer much on the business end and at that price you should be getting the whole package not just basic wedding info that can be found online for free.

Overall even with the hassle I got what I needed from the school I chose and got it at a reasonable price. I am definately ready to start my own business.... literally thanks to the assignments.

I hope you find a school that you love.

Vasilios in Hempstead, New York

47 months ago

Hello Everyone Im intrested in Wedding/Event Planning. Any one KNow Any good schools in Nyc?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffanybriseth in san antonio, Texas

46 months ago

Hi everyone! I'm wondering where I can receive a certificate for event planning in San Antonio, Texas? I would greatly appreaciate a response! :)

AGV in San Antonio, Texas

45 months ago

Angie in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi Margaret

Did you get in contact with the school. I just finished the second assignment and am waiting for my review.

Hi everyone!

Has anyone received their certificate from superweddings.com yet? I returned my last assignment and have been waiting for my review since September 14th. Just a little worried that I am never going to receive it. I have sent numerous emails to several different addresses and no one has responded...maybe they are a legit business, but I will have a hard time recommending them to a friend due to the hassle, frustration and inability to contact anyone. Even if this is a test, it is not a professional way of conducting business...just giving themselves a bad reputation and losing potential students. Also, even in they are overwhelmed and inundated with students, updates and notification of such would be greatly appreciated and put a lot of minds at ease. Still trying to wait patiently. Hopefully, we will all hear something back soon. Keep me posted if anyone hears anything from anyone at superweddings. I, too, hope they are still in business. Even though the price was reasonable for the course, it was still my hard-earned money that paid for it.

AGV in San Antonio, Texas

45 months ago

Angie in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi LC

I agree that their response is very poor. I just finished my last assignment with them. My instructor is better at contacting me now though. I found out she was on vacation for a while and her automatic response wasn't working.

I really enjoyed the course and although it was a hassle at times to send emails to different depts. to get a response I am glad I took it. The price was right and the information in the course was excellent. Unfortunately you have to stay on top of them with emails.

I was considering taking the course with Sheffield now since someone said you qualify to join the ISES but paying over $1,000 to me is ridiculous. The reviews sound good for them but I haven't read where they offer much on the business end and at that price you should be getting the whole package not just basic wedding info that can be found online for free.

Overall even with the hassle I got what I needed from the school I chose and got it at a reasonable price. I am definately ready to start my own business.... literally thanks to the assignments.

I hope you find a school that you love.

So, did you receive your certificate or are you still waiting for it to come in the mail? I enjoyed the course as well and also the information and knowledge I received. I just want my certificate so I can move on with some credentials behind me to help boost business and client confidence.

45 months ago

AGV in San Antonio, Texas said: So, did you receive your certificate or are you still waiting for it to come in the mail? I enjoyed the course as well and also the information and knowledge I received. I just want my certificate so I can move on with some credentials behind me to help boost business and client confidence.

Hi AGV

I just got an email to confirm my address and how I want my name to appear on the certificate. So I should be getting it shortly. I can't remember if it said 4-6 days or 4-6 wks. I'm excited to be finished! Let me know when you get yours. :) Congrats!

Victoria McHale in Jericoacoara, Brazil

45 months ago

Hi, I just enrolled and made payment with SuperWeddings.com but I haven't heard from them at all. I'm a bit worried about this? Do they send a confirmation voucher after payment is done. Has anyone received a certificate by the end of the course? I don't hear much from them at all and all I have received is two form letters. I wish they were a bit more personalized and answer the emails I have sent.

45 months ago

Victoria McHale in Jericoacoara, Brazil said: Hi, I just enrolled and made payment with SuperWeddings.com but I haven't heard from them at all. I'm a bit worried about this? Do they send a confirmation voucher after payment is done. Has anyone received a certificate by the end of the course? I don't hear much from them at all and all I have received is two form letters. I wish they were a bit more personalized and answer the emails I have sent.

Hi Victoria

They will send you an email with your tutors name and then you have to go to the website in the email to let them know you want to be a student who will be doing the assignments and not just reading the material.

Instituteofweddings.com/students/getstarted

You will have to have patience with them as their response time is not the greatest. I usually had to email two or three times before I got a response.

I am waiting for my certificate to come in the mail now. I know some others who have posted here who got thier certificates. I've been through the whole waiting process with them already so I'm not worried.

Goodluck with your studies and come back and let us know if you like it.

kim in Bronx, New York

40 months ago

Hello Angie my name is Kim and I am so happy for you that you are making your dreams come to reality. I would like to know would you be interested in working on a few weddings for some Brides that I know, one of the events is taking place in august and another one is happening next year, this will not only allow you to show case your creativity to about 80 to 100 guest but will also provide you with exposer please note this is not a free opportunity

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Planner in Sarasota, Florida

29 months ago

I have completed Sessions 1 and 2 from SuperWeddings.com and have not recieved any response from my tutor or anyone in the company after several inquiries over the past few months. I am not at all happy with the email response time, or the whole thing for that matter. I would recommend ABC Weddings. I know someone that took the courses and is very involved with the company. They will not let you down.

I would not recommend SuperWeddings to anyone. I just can't after all the work, and no certification to show for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Regina Hayes in New York, New York

29 months ago

Planner in Sarasota, Florida said: I have completed Sessions 1 and 2 from SuperWeddings.com and have not recieved any response from my tutor or anyone in the company after several inquiries over the past few months. I am not at all happy with the email response time, or the whole thing for that matter. I would recommend ABC Weddings. I know someone that took the courses and is very involved with the company. They will not let you down.

I would not recommend SuperWeddings to anyone. I just can't after all the work, and no certification to show for it.

Wow that really stinks. I know others who posted here said they had a hard time contacting them via email too. I wouldn't give up until you get your certificate. You paid for it and did the work so keep trying. Did you learn a lot at least? Hope it all works out.

Psalm150 in Newburgh, New York

29 months ago

Wow! That is terrible! I love Penn Foster certified wedding planner course by the Association of Bridal Consultants. I have two exams to take before I take my final exam and obtain my certificate. correspondence is quick with Penn Foster.

I received my 6 month membership to ABC. I have joined the ABC-NY chapter meetup. I will be attending my first meeting with them @ Riverside Church with The Knot.

I `am working out the legalities regards to starting my business. They are very in depth! I `am very happy!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.