Entry-Level Event Planning Jobs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 73)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Nicholas in Brookings, South Dakota

79 months ago

I have a friend that recently moved near Los Angeles and is looking for an Entry Level Position in Event Planning. If anyone has any tips on finding a good job they would be much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (431) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

coordinator in Marthasville, Missouri

78 months ago

Check with the city. Most major cities have special events.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Omaha, Nebraska

77 months ago

Look into hotels. They almost all have meeting rooms. That transfers over nicely to convention centers. We (event planners) all know is a good learning experience!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Omaha, Nebraska

77 months ago

Look into hotels. They almost all have meeting rooms. That transfers over nicely to convention centers. We (event planners) all know is a good learning experience! Try looking into who 'manages' local convention centers such as: MECA or SMG. They manage tons of large scale venues in many countries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Alyssa in Vienna, Virginia

76 months ago

I'm interested in changing careers. I was in finance/customer service and would love to enter event planning. Any ideas on where to start? Will I need additional education/training to start?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (61) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Omaha, Nebraska

75 months ago

To be real honest, you need to ask yourself why you are changing careers. If it is because you think event planning 'looks fun' and you get to 'party' or 'plan peoples events', then I would not suggest it. You came from a very 9-5 desk type of job. If I am wrong, I appoligize. Finance is very different. A typical event planner works 80 or so hours a weeks and usually works every weekend. You are running AV, hauling tables, dealing with billing, and possilby disgrutal patrons. You need to be aware of how much your life will change, and it is not always a job for folks who want to have a huge family and lots of children.
Secondly, I would start sending every event planning firm & convention center you resume and a letter stating that you would like to help, for free of course, with any events. Most firms will give you some type of compensation, but you are needing experience. Check out the non-profit firms, ie: Red cross, habitat for humanity. They are always needing work. Experience, experience, experience will land you your first job. What type of event coordination would you like to do: corporte, non-profit, conventions, arena shows, wedding and special event, etc?
Usually, you will need some type of 4 year degree as a foundation. If you have 3 year plus of experience is coordination, then you will not need a degree. There are classes at community college you can take to get a foundation. Once again I stress experience over a 'formal' education.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (57) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Alyssa in Charles Town, West Virginia

75 months ago

I have a degree. I went to a 9 to 5 because a friend worked there and I needed a job. Working in finance is not what I want to do. Having planned a friend's wedding I'm well aware that it takes long hours and dealing with sometimes angry patrons. In billing, I deal with angry customers, sales and legal. I'm well aware that this is not going to be easy, but it is something that attracts me.

I will look into volunteering to get experience. I'd love to do non-profit or special events/wedding. Part of this is lead me to helping foster kids and eventually open a camp for them. All of that experience will aid me in getting to that point.

Thanks for the information.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jallen in Newport News, Virginia

74 months ago

Elisa in Kent, Ohio said: I am looking to switch careers and am interested in event planning. What type of schooling (or degree) do you need to get into the field?

The major is under the school of Business but it has a focus on hospitality and tourism..Event planning falls under that group

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Sese in Fairfax, Virginia

72 months ago

I’m in the Northern Virginia/ Washington DC area. In the past year and a half, I have decided to change my career and move into the Events Planning industry. I have always had the passion for planning all types of events and expressing my creative ideas and organizational skills. With the experience of planning several weddings, family reunions, etc. I decided to enhance my knowledge of the industry educationally by enrolling and completing the Meeting and Event Planning Certificate program with UVA in May of 2008, and plan to continue taking more courses.

It has been harder than I thought to get my foot in the door. Can anyone share some tactics that they may have used to get a job in the filed? I’m all ears

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gloria in New York, New York

70 months ago

it's not that easy...

I have a BA, worked in a hotel for several months, currently work in a jewelry company and have organized and set up 2 international trade shows, one trunk show and one charity event all within 6 months.

I've been sending resume to hotels for sales coordinator or catering coordinator positions, etc...still i don't even get calls for interview...

i don't know what i lack of...

Good luck to you all,
Gloria

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

thanks a lot for all the tips and advice, just came back from a trip, didn't go to the forum for a while... I guess I will have to be patient at this difficult time

I was aiming for hotel sales jobs, but the feedback I got is "we are not hiring at this moment, or we have a very slim sales dept"

Meanwhile life goes on...does anyone know any good hotels in Miami Beach? My company will exhibit in the Miami Beach Antique show in Jan 09, I am excited about this project, since I will be the lead in organizing everything, it's such a great opportunity...

any tips are appreciated,
Gloria

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Catherine W in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

Hey Everyone,

It's so hard to find something, anything, related to event planning. They are even selective for free, nonpaid internships.
I have a Psych BA from a very good school, decided to change to event planning after working for an entertainment company and am looking for ways for get my foot in the door. Like I said, not easy.
I'm going to the Meeting and Event Planning certificate program starting Jan 09. Hopefully with a certificate, it'll get me something. But meanwhile, I need a job to learn about this field.
I know economy is bad, but you don't normally feel it in the entertainment industry, they are always hiring and needing people for something.
Does anyone in the LA area have any internships or assistant positions related to event planning?
I have some experience: I coordinated the special premier screening of the movie I worked on. I also helped a musical company with setups for the twice a year NAMM show.
These experiences count for something right?

HELP!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

.... bad news, My boss decided not to do the Miami show, doesn't want to spend $$ at this time...

such a valuable opportunity...

"Change We Need"!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Catherine W in Los Angeles, California

68 months ago

You know, it's decisions like this that make it worse for us job hunters.

By the way, still looking for a job here in Los Angeles.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorena Audra in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

I am really glad I came upon this post! This is great to hear of what fellow career changers are stumbling upon. It helps me to realize in this economy we all need to be very thoughtful and purposeful about the steps we take to get into this industry.
I have over 13 years of experience in hospitality and recently a bit of culinary experience. Yet my "day job" is in a large nonprofit and my Masters is in social work. My main problem is that I hate sitting behind a desk all day and I find that I desperately miss the action and excitement in hospitality.
Nonprofit event planning can be very rewarding but it also involves a lot of fundraising/sponsorship/ and auction item solicitation. So even though the coordinating aspect may be what some of you want to do just take note that the success of a nonprofit's event depends heavily on those aforementioned items. Using the event to raise significant money and improve donor relations is of utmost importance--essentially far more important than getting perfectly matched floral arrangements (which we often can't afford anyway!). We DO though love creativity and innovation!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

Hi Lorena,
I want to make the switch into event planning. Would your NPO have any need for an intern or assistant for upcoming events?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RRacheLL in Chicago, Illinois

62 months ago

Elisa in Kent, Ohio said: I am looking to switch careers and am interested in event planning. What type of schooling (or degree) do you need to get into the field?

Public relations- its what i went to school for and i wanted to be an event planer. so did everyone else at my school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lorena Rutens in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

Sara in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi Lorena,
I want to make the switch into event planning. Would your NPO have any need for an intern or assistant for upcoming events?

Hello, please email me at LRutens@heartlandalliance.org and we can talk about this in more detail. We are always looking for assistance at our nonprofit. I look forward to talking to you.

Event Planner K C in Alexandria, Virginia

61 months ago

Help!

I am a Cooperate Event Planner in DC who has recently been laid off. I have ten years experience in the business, but can't seem to find any corps. that are hiring. I am looking all over the country for a good match and would love any help you could offer.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sunny Event in Salt Lake City, Utah

61 months ago

I am so glad I found this forum. I have been so worried that I was the only one struggling in this economy to find work. You all give me hope that it will eventually turn around. Good luck to everyone!

Lauren in Herndon, Virginia

59 months ago

Sese in Fairfax, Virginia said: I’m in the Northern Virginia/ Washington DC area. In the past year and a half, I have decided to change my career and move into the Events Planning industry. I have always had the passion for planning all types of events and expressing my creative ideas and organizational skills. With the experience of planning several weddings, family reunions, etc. I decided to enhance my knowledge of the industry educationally by enrolling and completing the Meeting and Event Planning Certificate program with UVA in May of 2008, and plan to continue taking more courses.

It has been harder than I thought to get my foot in the door. Can anyone share some tactics that they may have used to get a job in the filed? I’m all ears

I wanted to see how it is going? I saw you posted this about 13 months ago, so I was hoping you had made some progress. Also, I was wondering if you have any tips for me. I recently relocated to the Northern VA area and finished my degree in Recording Industry Management. I would love to get into event planning/coordinating. Maybe as someone who has been through this before you could help me out! Thanks!

Beth in Orlando in Apopka, Florida

56 months ago

I recently planned my own wedding and loved every aspect of it. I'm thinking of going to Penn Foster for their wedding planning program. I would love to get on with a wedding planner in Orlando but I have had no luck. I would love to hear any advise out there for getting started.

Camille in Westland, Michigan

54 months ago

Hi Catherine,

I just wanted to ask you how you got into the entertainment industry. I work in IT at Ford Motor Company, but not interested in the automotive field and really enjoy doing events. I am on our event planning committee at work and have assisted with holiday parties and charity events. Also have planned a few social events (birthday parties, club parties, etc.). I am in the process of doing volunteer work for the Red Cross. I live in Michigan and event planning isn't really that big. How did you get started? I have several contacts, but most are into club promotions....not what I'm what to do.

Any feedback you can provide would be great.

Thanks!

Catherine W in Los Angeles, California said: Hey Everyone,

It's so hard to find something, anything, related to event planning. They are even selective for free, nonpaid internships.
I have a Psych BA from a very good school, decided to change to event planning after working for an entertainment company and am looking for ways for get my foot in the door. Like I said, not easy.
I'm going to the Meeting and Event Planning certificate program starting Jan 09. Hopefully with a certificate, it'll get me something. But meanwhile, I need a job to learn about this field.
I know economy is bad, but you don't normally feel it in the entertainment industry, they are always hiring and needing people for something.
Does anyone in the LA area have any internships or assistant positions related to event planning?
I have some experience: I coordinated the special premier screening of the movie I worked on. I also helped a musical company with setups for the twice a year NAMM show.
These experiences count for something right?

HELP!!!

nav in Hoffman Estates, Illinois

53 months ago

Sara in Chicago, Illinois said: Hi Lorena,

Sara,send me an Email at navjotkaur10@yahoo.com and we can talk about this. But where abouts are you located.

Kathryn in Syracuse, New York

53 months ago

Hi everyone. I am a senior Stage Management BFA major currently finishing up at Syracuse University. My primary background is in theater but in my studies I have taken hospitality and event/conference/convention planning courses. My skill sets are : organization, budgeting, problem solving, communication and managing large productions/groups of people. I have been the production manager for a completely student run, fully funded production company, my job included budgeting out the season, helping pick plays, working with actor and director conflicts, scheduling out the season (build, load-ins, rehearsal time, tech schedules etc). We (as a company) produce at least 3-5 plays a season. As a stage manager I am responsible for organizing and managing the collaboration between set, lights, sound, and costumes. Scheduling rehearsals and technical rehearsals and i have experience in managing groups as large as 35 people.
I am extremely interested in the event planning field and i feel very strongly that even though i do not have direct experience in event planning or the hospitality industry that my skills and experience in theatre are directly related and useful to the event field.
I would really love to hear anyone's thoughts on how I should attack the current job market as a "newbie" fresh out of college, especially since my background is not rooted in hospitality or events.

thanks!

Katie in Washington, District of Columbia

53 months ago

Hello Kathryn and Congrats on getting ready to graduate. I would recommend checking into Meeting Professionals International (MPI). It is a great organization and does a lot for its members. I also think they have a job board. If you join as a student the fee is only $40 a year. Believe me it is the best investment you can make in your career, plus it looks great on a resume. If you are thinking about moving to DC, I would love to chat with you more about some opportunities. Feel free to e-mail me, kherritage@yahoo.com. Best of luck!

Elise McKelvy in Kansas City, Missouri

51 months ago

Hello my name is Elise McKelvy and I recently got married in 2009 I planned all of my details from my gown to the reception. There was nothing that I did not do. Which leads me to my question I have had a hidden desire to plan not just weddings but events entirely. However the only experience that I have had is my own wedding as well as my family and friends event. Such as birthday parties, sweet sixteen parties, graduation parties. I would love to be an assistant to someone that would give me more exposure and more hands on experience. I am enrolled in college I will be complete in July 2010. I've recently enrolled in Penn Foster Professional Bridal Consutlant Course to give me the book knowledge. If anyone is interested in the Missouri area. Please, please email me at virtuous_women_1967@hotmail.com. I would be willing attach a copy of my resume that explains in detail abour my experience.

Thanking you in advance,
Elise McKelvy

Octavia Fulton in Baltimore, Maryland

51 months ago

I have recently found thhis circuit in event planning "formally" I will say. However I have done all of these things since I was 16 in some form or fashion. I would like to work as an event coordinator. I just landed a gig for a benefit/fashion show,but really want to to pursue my passion as my career. I am more than aware of the work it takes, as I have spent most of my working years in public service as a retail associate, retail manager,and Hair stylist. And at a young age did promotions for different concerts/music venues. I also had a radio host experence for a campus radio. any ad vice on what to do next. ( mind you I did not place any of this on my resume.)

Victoria in Chicago, Illinois

50 months ago

I am also interested in becoming a meeting an event planner. I have planned several large scale projects and fundraisers. It is hard to even get a foot in the door without experience and you can't get experience if no one talks to you. With all of the opportunity available in the Chicagoland area, I am willing to intern and work for free to gain the experience I need to pursue my passion. I am working on completing my bachelors and hope to get a planning certificate. I have taken some hospitality courses and ultimately hope to plan large scale fundraising events for a NPO.

k3lli in Midland, Texas

49 months ago

Hi, my name is Kelli and I live in Texas. I am a certified event planner, but wanting to get into high-end entertainment event planning. Does anyone know where there might be some type of internship for this? Location is not an issue..

Sheckeita in Sugar Land, Texas

49 months ago

k3lli in Midland, Texas said: Hi, my name is Kelli and I live in Texas. I am a certified event planner, but wanting to get into high-end entertainment event planning. Does anyone know where there might be some type of internship for this? Location is not an issue..

I am an event planner in Houston. I am planning a fashion show. What is your email address.

49 months ago

Hello Kelli,
My email address is virtuous_women_1967@hotmail.com

k3lli in Midland, Texas

49 months ago

Sheckeita in Sugar Land, Texas said: I am an event planner in Houston. I am planning a fashion show. What is your email address.

Email is k3lli.james@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

49 months ago

Hello,

Here is my email address virtuous_women_1967@hotmail.com. Look forward to speaking with you.

49 months ago

Hello Kelli,
You are welcome! However; I do not know where they are offering any internships for event planning. The only idea that I can offer is to keep doing what you are doing as far as posing the question to the forums.

Michael in Los Angeles, California

48 months ago

I am also looking for an internship or classes I can take in the Los Angeles area. I love planning event and just finished up with my brothers baby shower. I have been planning friends/family birthday parties for a while and I know this is what I want to do. I just need the right tools to make this work. Please email me is you can help point me in the right direction :)

Kelly322 in Mokena, Illinois

48 months ago

Wow, I see a lot of people are feeling the same way that I am right now!

I've really been trying to find a position based more on marketing/event planning.

I'm in the Chicagoland area and have about seven years of experience with sales coordination, preparing presentations, and working very closely with our marketing team on projects. I love the creativity and challenges that the planning brings, I just have no idea where to start to get my foot in the door and get this rolling.

This board has been very helpful in suggestions, however a lot of the advice seems to vary demographically.

Does anyone have any additional advice as to how I can use my sales and marketing experience to my benefit! I've been proactively sending out my resume and I'm very willing to work hard to get where I need to be.

Thanks!
Kelly

katie in Omaha, Nebraska

48 months ago

If you have experience in sales/marketing look to a hotel or conference center to start out your career. Often hotels have positions that are sales/event management opportunities. Budgeting is key in event planning!

Get involved in any community events, volunteer your time. Anything you can draw from experience wise will get you in the door.

Good Luck!

Kelly322 in Mokena, Illinois

48 months ago

Thanks Katie!

I actually just signed up on a site that lists a lot of NPO and networking groups, so I'm hoping to get some luck there too.

This is my first year on my homeowner's Board of Director's and we've improved our budget a great deal, so I'm hoping that will help boost my resume as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Alexandria, Virginia

48 months ago

Chicago has a great MPI Chapter, I would check it out. MPI is great for networking and looks good on a resume. Good luck!

Chancy in Brisbane, Australia

47 months ago

Hey, I am currently in the process of looking at going back to school to study either Marketing or Event Management. I am currently undecided if Events is worth the risk as i dont entirely know how easy it is to find a job after I've completed the course, as when i studied creative arts & multimedia for four years i realised my heart wasnt in it and that it was far too difficult to get a job in that field and do not want this to happen again. Any ideas what I'm getting myself into if I go ahead with Events???

Johanna in North Bergen, New Jersey

47 months ago

This is a great forum. I have 2 years experience of corporate planning. I work for a small private company and I've been responsible for coordinating all trade shows, regional user meetings, and international conferences. I am looking to do this full time and was hoping someone here had some advice for me. I have a B.S. but not in Event Planning however for the past two years that's been part of my job. I really enjoy planning all aspects of an event. I checked out the hcareers page but didn't find anything in my area. I'm in the NJ/NY. I'm definitely interested in going down this path but I find it hard to get my foot in the door. Any guidance will be appreciated.

Heather in Los Angeles, California

47 months ago

Nicholas in Brookings, South Dakota said: I have a friend that recently moved near Los Angeles and is looking for an Entry Level Position in Event Planning . If anyone has any tips on finding a good job they would be much appreciated.

I am looking for a wedding coordinator for the day of the wedding. The date will be either 10/24/10 or 11/7/10. If you are interested please let me know. wishesioi@hotmail.com

SuziStephens in Mundelein, Illinois

47 months ago

I am a teacher looking for a career change in event planning. I am starting to see that it is not an easy industry to get into so I am out looking for any experience that I can get. I would love to get experience planning weddings, hotel events, and NPO events. If anyone has any ideas or contacts in the Chicago/Chicago suburbs that would be great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

AngieJ2118 in College Station, Texas

47 months ago

Sheckeita in Sugar Land, Texas said: I am an event planner in Houston. I am planning a fashion show. What is your email address.

I am looking for a career change and am very passionate about getting into event planning. I am looking for the opportunity to learn about the industry. My email address is angiej2118@yahoo.com

Thank you,
Angela

AngieJ2118 in College Station, Texas

47 months ago

AngieJ2118 in College Station, Texas said: I am looking for a career change and am very passionate about getting into event planning. I am looking for the opportunity to learn about the industry. My email address is angiej2118@yahoo.com

Thank you,
Angela

I live in Spring, TX by the way...I just work out of College Station 3 days a week

Lichelle in Tampa, Florida

46 months ago

I am very interested in everything there is to know about event planning, weddings, parties, ect. I have been planning parties for friends and family since for about 6 years now and i am only 24. I love the craziness of it all. The planning, the research, the fast paced lifestyle. I currently do not have a degree, but am willing to go to school if need be. i would really like some information on the best route for me to take in pursing this as a career. It started off with me doing it just for fun until i realized that this is what i want to do. if anyone has any information they can share my email address is yeagerbomb@sprint.blackberry.net thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Aubrey Renee in Sacramento, California

46 months ago

Hi,
I am also looking to find an event planning job. I have been working in events for the past 5 years, I have my BS done several internships and work charity events for a fundraising company. However I can't seem to catch a break and am growing extremely discouraged since I have been looking for a job for over 2 years, if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

NieLap Events in Ottawa, Ontario

44 months ago

Hi,
My name is Stephanie Lapensee and I am the Founder and Director of Operations for NieLap Events. NieLap Events is a canadian based company that creates one of a kind benefit events for various causes and charities all around the world. We are celebrating our 10th anniversary this year.
We have worked with some of the world's biggest stars including The Rolling Stones, Sting, Bon Jovi and many many more.
I am looking for an L.A Based Event Planning Assistant to assist in a major event on World Water Day and other events taking place during 2011.
Please email your resume if you are interested: events@nielapevents.com

Kati in Laurel, Maryland

42 months ago

Mich_Mills in Laurel, Maryland said: I've been in sales management for over 10 years and am looking for a career change to event planning. I'm finding it very difficult to find any firms hiring any positions. Is anyone thinking of starting up their own business and would consider investing with me. Email me at leckywadewomenllp@yahoo.com

I'm looking into wedding/event planning jobs as well. I live in Laurel, Maryland. If you want to discuss any possibilities of starting a small business, let me know. My email is lmack_9@yahoo.com.

-Kati

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.