Wanted to switch careers....already! Accountant to Event Planning

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

topchef33 in Portage, Indiana

76 months ago

I graduated about 8 months ago from college with a business degree and an accounting concentration. It has been so hard to find a job as an entry level accountant(still haven't!). The more I think about it, the more I wonder why I wasted all that time in school getting a degree in something that I'm not 100% in love with.

I would LOVE to get into the event planning business. Especially weddings. I have no idea how to get started though. I love to help out family whenever there is a big get together or event. I am in NW Indiana right now, but may possibly be moving to Indy soon. Any help on how to get started would be great.

I don't necessarily need to start my own business, I would want to work for a business so that I could get experience. I know I don't have an event management degree, but I'd hope being college educated would get me somewhere!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Danielle Crabb in Walkersville, Maryland

76 months ago

I to am looking into getting in this field of work. I graduated with a psychology degree and can't find a job either. All these places expect you to have all this experience but how do you get that when no one givves you the chance to get it. If you have any luck finding out how to get started in this field of work please let me know. Thanks

Danielle

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

azolly in Salt Lake City, Utah

76 months ago

I have been working in event planning for about a year and a half. There are a few things you should be aware of to help you get going. I have a 4 year university degree in Commercial Recreation Management. To be honest, your degree is not nearly as important to an employer as the amount of experience you have. The problem is getting hired to gain that experience. I had to start out with an unpaid internship for just a summer before I was ablt to get a full time paid job. It sucked at the time because I wasn't getting paid, but I learned so much from that experience and I think it made all the difference when I went to find a job.
Also, just be aware that (depending on your location in the country) events are not where the big bucks are, and you will be working 60-80 hour weeks sometimes. However, it can be very rewarding when you see your event turn out successfully.

MaiLys Brightly in La Puente, California

76 months ago

topchef33 in Portage, Indiana said: I graduated about 8 months ago from college with a business degree and an accounting concentration. It has been so hard to find a job as an entry level accountant(still haven't!). The more I think about it, the more I wonder why I wasted all that time in school getting a degree in something that I'm not 100% in love with.

I would LOVE to get into the event planning business. Especially weddings. I have no idea how to get started though. I love to help out family whenever there is a big get together or event. I am in NW Indiana right now, but may possibly be moving to Indy soon. Any help on how to get started would be great.

I don't necessarily need to start my own business, I would want to work for a business so that I could get experience. I know I don't have an event management degree, but I'd hope being college educated would get me somewhere!

I want to do this as well! I went to a wedding recently and the Bride did not have any help so I stepped in to help and she was so grateful to me. That is when it dawned on me, hey, I could do this! Have you had any luck finding anything? Let me know how I can do this as well.

dman5 in Sacramento, California

70 months ago

azolly in Salt Lake City, Utah said: I have been working in event planning for about a year and a half. There are a few things you should be aware of to help you get going. I have a 4 year university degree in Commercial Recreation Management. To be honest, your degree is not nearly as important to an employer as the amount of experience you have. The problem is getting hired to gain that experience. I had to start out with an unpaid internship for just a summer before I was ablt to get a full time paid job. It sucked at the time because I wasn't getting paid, but I learned so much from that experience and I think it made all the difference when I went to find a job.
Also, just be aware that (depending on your location in the country) events are not where the big bucks are, and you will be working 60-80 hour weeks sometimes. However, it can be very rewarding when you see your event turn out successfully.

Event planning is tough, you can make some easier money on the other side of the business. Try hotel sales or catering.. I used a quick down and dirty online course to get into the business. www.aprinda.com It also helps to learn how to work in hotel sales so you can do a better job of event planning. It gives you a good perspective of both sides of the business.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.