Wedding Planning

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

Lisa in Austin, Texas

74 months ago

I have coordinated several large events and a couple weddings and have a real desire to begin my own business in wedding and event planning. I'm considering staying home with my newborn baby to persue my dream of having a home based business. My question is, what is the best way to get the word out and advertise for wedding and event planning?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Joy in Beachwood, Ohio

74 months ago

Lisa in Austin, Texas said: I have coordinated several large events and a couple weddings and have a real desire to begin my own business in wedding and event planning. I'm considering staying home with my newborn baby to persue my dream of having a home based business. My question is, what is the best way to get the word out and advertise for wedding and event planning?

I'm in exactly the same situation. I'd love to correspond with you as you begin this journey. I am still working full time but have the summer off. My daughter is 5 months old. My dream is to have a successful wedding and event planning business from home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jen in Hainesport, New Jersey

74 months ago

I am looking to start an events planning business as well. How did you get the few events you did? I would love to hear more about your journey.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Inverness, Florida

74 months ago

Lisa in Austin, Texas said: I have coordinated several large events and a couple weddings and have a real desire to begin my own business in wedding and event planning. I'm considering staying home with my newborn baby to persue my dream of having a home based business. My question is, what is the best way to get the word out and advertise for wedding and event planning?

I just thought of starting a event/wedding planner business. It doesn't look like there are any planners here in Inverness and if there are I haven't seen or met any. My one friend loves to plan parties and I like to mingle with people so I think we would make a good team. If ya'll have any do's or don'ts of the business I would like to hear them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

hannahross in Madras, India

74 months ago

hi
i am new to this forum. what is meant by marriage event job? how it is work?
Is it successful business

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Austin, Texas

74 months ago

Hello! How is your catering and event management business going? What avenues have you taken to try and advertise your business?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Austin, Texas

74 months ago

jen in Hainesport, New Jersey said: I am looking to start an events planning business as well. How did you get the few events you did? I would love to hear more about your journey.

Hello Jen. You asked how I obtained the few events that I've done prior to starting my own business. I volunteered as the event coordinator for the singles group at my church and for some of my friends who needed a place for a birthday party and a small wedding, we used my parents home which has a lovely and large backyard. The other events I simply volunteered to help my family or friends with their birthday parties, showers and graduation parties.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

thanks for the reply

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

thanks for the reply it is very use ful for me once again thank yiou

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kirsten in Austin, Texas

73 months ago

Lisa~

i too just had a baby and have been racking my brain about how to make enough money and stay home with him. i'm single and don't have another income to help me out. do you think starting my own business would bring in enough funds to support myself and my child?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Austin, Texas

73 months ago

Honestly...a business takes time to build any reliable income. I'm making some great contacts and have some brides & clients I'm working with but not an actual pay check yet. I would recommend continue working even if it's just part time somewhere to allow you an income but time to begin a business on the side till it's a bit more dependable. Best of luck; let me know how things turn-out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lindsay in Boston, Massachusetts

71 months ago

I have been an event planner for a caterer and for a manufacturing Co. and for a the President of a financial planning Co. for the past 15 years. I am looking to work for a company, planning their events and travel from my home. I bring organization, responsibility and experience to the table.If anyone knows of a co. looking for such aperson, please pas the info on to me, thanks.

truly,
Lindsay in Boston, MA

Judith in Austin, Texas

71 months ago

Lisa in Austin, Texas said: Honestly...a business takes time to build any reliable income. I'm making some great contacts and have some brides & clients I'm working with but not an actual pay check yet. I would recommend continue working even if it's just part time somewhere to allow you an income but time to begin a business on the side till it's a bit more dependable. Best of luck; let me know how things turn-out.

Hi Lisa!

How is your business developing? I am a meeting planner in the Austin area with over nine years of experience, and I am exploring the desire to expand my skills to wedding and event planning. I would love to hear more about your journey!

Sincerely,

Judith

Kristina in Brooklyn, New York

67 months ago

Hey I am in almost all of your situations. I work full time and I am getting married in march so I really want to start my own event coordinating buisness... Im just not sure how to promote it...Do any of you think its a good idea to promote it at catering halls?

Nicole P. in Marion, North Carolina

66 months ago

I'm very interested in starting my own business in the wedding industry and I was looking for tips on how to advertise my business. Right now there are no wedding planners in my area and I feel I could help lots of brides by starting my own wedding services to our community. Also how much should I charge for my services? I thought that my first two brides I would do it for free,but I don't know what to base prices off of.
Thanks for your help
Nicole of Marion, NC

EMILY in Ridgewood, New York

66 months ago

Nicole P. in Marion, North Carolina said: I'm very interested in starting my own business in the wedding industry and I was looking for tips on how to advertise my business. Right now there are no wedding planners in my area and I feel I could help lots of brides by starting my own wedding services to our community. Also how much should I charge for my services? I thought that my first two brides I would do it for free,but I don't know what to base prices off of.
Thanks for your help
Nicole of Marion, NC

Hi Nicole,

Have you planned any weddings before? Its a great idea especially if there are no wedding planners in your area. There are different ways to charge your custermers. The typical wedding planner charges 10-15% of the total budget. More experienced planners charge 20% of the budget. I am currently planning a wedding for a client.bbI suggest you plan a couple of weddings for free so you can get your feet wet and understand the business.

Rev.Jeanne in Morehead City, North Carolina

66 months ago

Hi Nicole,
There's a couple of ways I think you can get started...the post above is a good idea for pricing (which can be challenging to begin with.) One thing, besides making a great web page, is to send out introduction letter with biz cards to area photographers, bakers, caterers, etc. to let them know you are in the area. Also, check with the chamber of commerce to see if there is a wedding planning group (or something to do with weddings) in the area. If there isn't, starting one to get everyone together is another good idea. Also, if you'd like, we can link to one another (best way is via webpages) and help couples that might be looking for someone to help, since I'm on the coast and your near Asheville. I just had to turn someone away because they were somewhere near you!

Anyway, that's some ideas....advertising certainly seems to be the bugga boo!
Rev. Jeanne

Tshepi in Dublin, Ireland

65 months ago

Hello, i am looking for part time experiential learning in the wedding planning field and i am willing to do it for free for as long as i get experience as i am so passionate about the career. I am a graduate i n the field of Public Relations and also have a Diploma in Events Management. I am currently working towards my Business Admin so anyone in Ireland, Dublin or if yo know anyone then please let me know.

Buster Maxwell in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

Dear Priyata,

You've got to be kidding. No one on a professional business site like this is even going to consider hiring someone who posts texts like a dyslexic teenager. If you want to get a job in the hip-hop field, that might be cute, but you make yourself out to be a complete amateur. You have an MBA? Your post makes everyone mistrust you immediately. If you're serious about getting a job, then learn how to communicate like a professional. Your country has a rich history of proper business English - I suggest you take a crash course immediately.

QUOTE who="priyata in Gurgaon, India"]hey guys m really really intrstd in goin into dis field but as i hv juz finsd my MBA so wanna go for a job first but only in dis field n only in New Delhi India. so if any Indian or der relatives r readin dis den plzzz hire me.thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rev.Jeanne in Morehead City, North Carolina

65 months ago

Buster Maxwell in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Dear Priyata,

You've got to be kidding. No one on a professional business site like this is even going to consider hiring someone who posts texts like a dyslexic teenager. If you want to get a job in the hip-hop field, that might be cute, but you make yourself out to be a complete amateur. You have an MBA? Your post makes everyone mistrust you immediately. If you're serious about getting a job, then learn how to communicate like a professional. Your country has a rich history of proper business English - I suggest you take a crash course immediately.

QUOTE who="priyata in Gurgaon, India"]hey guys m really really intrstd in goin into dis field but as i hv juz finsd my MBA so wanna go for a job first but only in dis field n only in New Delhi India. so if any Indian or der relatives r readin dis den plzzz hire me.thanks

Buster....a little harsh, but very true!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kristina in Brooklyn, New York

65 months ago

Hey I think you sent a message to the wrong person. I was not the person who couldnt speak english lol.

Blair Thompson in Tyler, Texas

63 months ago

I too am looking to start my own wedding/party planning business. I just don't know where to get started. I see that you too are in Texas. Do you have any tips on how to get started on this?

DebbieG80 in Basingstoke, United Kingdom

60 months ago

Good Afternoon All,

My sister and I have finally set up our own Wedding planning company, we are in the process of having our website made (be up in 3-4days max) we are having our business cards made, along with leafets to send out to local vendors.

We've called venues and got brochures along with contact names, this has all been done in the past 2 days (we signed the business docs on Tues). We've also managed to book some appointments to go along and meet some vendors.

Could anyone give us some more advice on what we should be doing other than that? Have we missed something? Would be really good to have advice from someone who has been successful in this field. Also we are aware that Wedding Planners are more fashionable in the States than here in the UK, so we will have our work cut out for us!

Thank you all in Advance.

Debbie.

LOWashington in Roosevelt, New York

60 months ago

Word of Mouth is always the best. Also plan and event and invite local wedding venues. business, and find out who is getting married and send them an invite to the invite. Show them that you have what it takes to have a successful event

Kara in Vista, California

58 months ago

Alexis Wesley in Lithonia, Georgia said: Hi Ladies,

I'm an event planner based in atlanta, ga but I travel all over the world to plan events. The way I started out was by doing events for free for my family and close friends. You have to get your name out there someway. That was the best way for me. I say this because you never know who will be attending the event and we all know news travels fast. As you start planning your events make alliances with different venues and caterers, etc. It's really easy. You would be surprised how many people are looking for event planners. Please feel free to contact me if I can be if any assistance to you, alexisbwesley@yahoo.com

I'm just starting to get into the wedding planning bussiness. A few of my friends are gettting married and I am offering my services to get my name out there. I have only been doing this for a little while, and I just want to know if I need a degree or certification to really go at it full force or if just getting my name out there is enough? If I should get a degree or certificate do you know any types of schools that have good programs for that line of work?

Another Planner in New York, New York

51 months ago

Buster Maxwell in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Dear Priyata,

Amen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sharron in Bridgetown, Barbados

27 months ago

Hi, I have a home-bases events planning business, what can I do to allow more clients to know about us?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mickey in Italy

26 months ago

Hi Eveybody,
I'm starting with this job, and I was wondering if someone of you work with Italy.
Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.