How to get a job in Events

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Vianella in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

74 months ago

I have a bachelors degree in Event Management. However I cant get a job in the field. Im not sure how to really start. I have done some functions for family and friends and have volunteered with local organizations and agencies. I am willing to relocate for the job. I was wondering if anyone had an idea where or what website I should check into?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie in Phoenix, Arizona

74 months ago

What college did you get your degree from? I wasn't aware such a thing existed. How cool!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vianella in Providence, Rhode Island

74 months ago

Johnson & Wales University.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Kari in Tyler, Texas

74 months ago

I would suggest looking into non-profit organizations. There's Make-a-Wish Foundation, Cystic Fibrosis, Race for the Cure, or maybe some local organization. From my experience, most or all of the non-profit organizations have committees that help plan the events. I know Race for the Cure does, and the organization I work for does. I'm employeed by a non-profit organization and we have a committee that helps with our golf tournaments. Also, when I was trying to get into the industry, I called every event planner, party planner, caterer, wedding planner, and party rental place in the phone book. What I found is that some of the planners have interns that work with them for a semester to get experience. I don't know if it's paid, but you'll get your name out there. And you might be able to start your own business after you learn what to do. I hope this was helpful!

Vianella in Pawtucket, Rhode Island

74 months ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH KARI!!! I WILL SURELY DO THAT!

KS in Maricopa, Arizona

74 months ago

Stephanie in Phoenix, Arizona said: What college did you get your degree from? I wasn't aware such a thing existed. How cool!

Hi Stephanie, are you event planning in Arizona?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Yes, I have done event planning and also meeting planning for several companies. I wish I could work for myself, but at the moment my personal situation doesn't warrant me starting my own business. someday!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karla in Maricopa, Arizona

74 months ago

email me your email address @ fundraiser96@yahoo.com.

Bill Merrow with Profit Planners in Phoenix, Arizona

71 months ago

Hi!

All of you who are promoting events - or raising $$$ in the non-profit world - here's a great way to motivate your clients/donors to choose you - www.incentivesmeanbusiness.com.

Email me for more info. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Emilynn Randall in Idaho Falls, Idaho

70 months ago

Hi,

I'm about to graduate from Brigham Young University in December with a double major in Accounting and Business Management with an emphasis in Event planning. My husband and I are moving to Phoenix in December and I've been applying to every events job that I can find, but it seems like no one wants a "new grad". I've got experience with event planning, enough that I was asked to travel out of state just to run an event. I also have great communication skills and a passion for organization that is required for the field. Any tips on where to find a great firm that won't just look at my resume and see that I'm a new graduate, but acutally look at my experience?

Thanks!

Melanie Kelley in Indianapolis, Indiana

70 months ago

Vianella in Pawtucket, Rhode Island said: I have a bachelors degree in Event Management. However I cant get a job in the field. Im not sure how to really start. I have done some functions for family and friends and have volunteered with local organizations and agencies. I am willing to relocate for the job. I was wondering if anyone had an idea where or what website I should check into?

I recently relocated to Indianapolis form Tampa. I cannot find a position here, but in Florida it is very easy since they aren't hampered by seasons so much. I would reccommend checking with the chambers of commerce in any major city (Tampa, miami, Jacksonville etc) It is a flourishing business there. Everyone uses a planner there!
Melanie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

nrobbins in Phoenix, Arizona

68 months ago

Hi-I was recently laid off from an interior design firm and I'm trying to get back into event planning, which I went to school for, and I'm having no luck finding anything in phoenix. Any suggestions for organizations that might be more helpful. Thx

Kailee in Pittsford, New York

68 months ago

I also have an events planning degree from Johnson and Wales University and am having the hardest time getting a job in the industry. Any suggestions?

Deborah Wisterman in Detroit, Michigan

67 months ago

I'm currently looking for a position in Event Planning/Conferences and I'm really struggling. I graduated from Central Michigan University with a degree in Recreation, Parks and Leisure Services Administration in May 2008. I'm willing to move from Michigan to pretty much anywhere but my main search has been in Chicago, IL. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

67 months ago

Hi, I have a lead for you, but I don't want to post it for everyone's eyes.

Can you email me privately at justforplanners@aol.com?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.