How to start my party planning career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

jamie marsh in Chico, California

51 months ago

LazerDazer in Sonoma, California said: I'm a junior in high school and I want to be a party planner when I grow up. I want to eventually create my own business and plan parties and events in Hollywood and around the world.
I was wondering how I could start this. What majors would I have to major in in college for this? And how I could find a party planner to intern or talk with since I'm so young.
I just really want to do this and any advice and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi I am a sophomore at chico state and I am going down the same path you want to. I am majoring in Recreation administration with the pattern special events and I am minoring in enterpunership bussnuiss managment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sirena Evans in Littleton, Colorado

33 months ago

LazerDazer, your question was on the right path. While the right personality and specific traits (like organizational skills) are important, it's also important that you get the right training.

Since very few schools and universities have an actual event planning program, I usually suggest that people pursue a degree in International Business (or something equivalent) with a minor in marketing. If your university offers any event planning classes, then by all means, take them! But most schools don't offer that as an option; and so pursuing a degree in Business is a close "second". Plus it allows you to pursue many other paths, in case your Event Planning Career doesn't work out.

The most important thing for you to do is to gain some experience by volunteering. Whether it's for a sorority on campus (they have many events throughout the year), events for your campus, or local events in your community (like Race for the Cure, etc), you will learn the most by getting hands-on experience. This will not only look good on your resume, but will give you real-world experience to see if you truly enjoy the world of planning events. The reality often does not match the perception.

Good luck!
~Sirena
www.careers-in-event-planning.com/event-planner-course.htrml

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.