Need Help Getting Organized? This Book Just May Change Your Life!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

EssGee in Sacramento, California

57 months ago

First things first: I'm not affiliated with this author or book in any way, nor am I being compensated for my opinion.

That being said, I've been an executive assistant for 20 years and have been frustrated by the lack of a "plan" for getting organized. I understand the basics; that's never been a problem. And yet every training session I've ever attended left me disappointed, never living up to its hype.

Some years back, I bought a book that I'd read about somewhere, but it was right when we were moving from one city to another and it was packed away and forgotten. About a year ago, a co-worker came to my attention for her exceptional organizational skills, and she was more than happy to share her secret: DAVID ALLEN. Specifically, David Allen's book, "GETTING THINGS DONE: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity." (www.davidco.com/)

I bought it immediately. It's not new. In fact, it's the SAME book I'd purchased years before: I came across my original copy while implementing the suggestions in the book I'd just bought! It's not just a compilation of stuff you already know or regurgitated information updated to incorporate the latest technology and lingo. THIS BOOK IS THE REAL DEAL: it's a step-by-step "how to" to getting not only your work life, but your personal life, completely organized.

For example, it gives you insight in to why you may feel you've got "too many balls in the air": "Why things are on your mind: *You haven’t clarified exactly what the intended outcome is; *You haven’t decided what the very next physical action step is; and/or *You haven’t put reminders of the outcome and the action required in a system you trust." It then goes on to tell you HOW to do this.

Ideally, you can get your boss on board, which may be no easy task because this is a lifestyle change. You'll reap the benefits regardless, both personally and professionally, by implementing these changes yourself.

Keep me posted if you decide to do this...I'm interested

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.