Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable executive assistant? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective executive assistant?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

billy joe in Kaufman, Texas

83 months ago

would a disbarred attorney qualify for the job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Poughkeepsie, New York

75 months ago

As an executive level assistant for 10+ years, I've found that developing my communications skills - both written and oral; as well as my time management, listening, priortization and calendar management skills has proven to be fruitful. I've also taken classes on leading a team - as an executive assistant more than likely you will have assistants supporting people who report up into the executive to whom you provide support. Keep open and honest communications with your client at all times, and do not be afraid of admitting your mistakes but back up that admittance with the determination to correct the issue at hand - and then learn from your mistake so you avoid it in the future. Also learn what your client's prefernces are - does (s)he mind doing early morning or late night meetings; does (s)he prefer taking meetings from home before 9am and after 5pm so as to be home for his/her family and in order to avoid rushhour traffic; does (s)he prefer 1/2 hour or 1 hour for lunch or does (s)he prefer working through lunch on a daily basis. It also could help to try to develop a personal relationship with your client - such as learning what important dates are in his/her life (a spouse's birthday; kids' birthdays; anniversary; his/her birthday; etc.). Understand and adhere strictly to company regulations and guidelines - this shows integrity and respect for company and for self. Be able to do basic technical work - does the client need to archive his/her email? Also having intermediate to advanced skills in graphics development (for presentation charts), spreadsheet development, and database management would be beneficial to the client as this will eleviate some of his/her administrative responsibilities. Manage your client's hardcopy or softcopy mail and files in an efficient and time sensitive fashion so that (s)he doesn't have to put off other busines needs in order to remain organized. Expense skills and travel arrangement skills could also prove beneficial. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.