Resume Question

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

admin in Bay Area, California

79 months ago

On some of my jobs, I have worked at well know high tech companies. The only problem is they are temp jobs that were for 1 year.

My question is when putting these on my resume do I just put the company name or do I also have to add the temp agency?

If I do have to put the agency name down what kind of format do I use?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vee in New York, New York

79 months ago

You'll have to put the temp agency. When they call to check your references, they will find out and they might not appreciate the deception.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

admin in Bay Area, California

79 months ago

Thank you! That's what I thought but wasn't sure. Thanks for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

KR Sternberg in New York, New York

77 months ago

I have to disagree & I temped for many name law firms in NYC. Some assignments were one or 2 years long. I listed the law firms on the resume (tho' I didn't give them as references), just listed them as -places I'd worked.

To give the company as a reference is dicey, because (at least in NYS) when one temps, one is technically an employee of the agency, not the company actually worked for.

I pointedly do not list both together as temp agencies used to consider their client base confidential in some cases. So when in doubt, I'd give the name of the law firm & to other agencies, I'd cite only the name of the agency.

On the rare times that I've had agencies ask for which clients I'd worked under which other agencies, I apologized & declined to answer, by asking if they'd like me to reveal to other agencies who their clients were, to which they usually said no.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kiana in San Jose, California

77 months ago

So you're saying put the Company name to show where I worked and not the agency. And if the company where I'm interviewing ask just tell them I was temping? And I shouldnt ever tell another agency what other agengies I worked for? Is that correct?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Atlanta, Georgia

77 months ago

I agree with KR. I was also told by an agency to do this: List the names of the companies, and in your description indicate that they were contract positions. HTH.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kiana in San Jose, California

77 months ago

I updated my resume and put down the company I worked for and in the description indicating it was a contract position like you suggested. I did this on Sunday. I have received alot more calls now and have an interview setup this week. That was the only thing I changed. Not sure why it made such a big difference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.