Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing executive assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Jill Mohler in Hialeah, Florida

82 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing executive assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I believe typically, employers look for people who have had at least 5 years of administrative experience working with an executive/s and who have at least some college, if not a bachelors degree.

I began doing admin work when I was in the service, and then built upon my experience from that point, getting admin positions every time and then finally completed my bachelors degree in Business Administration, which helps with getting the higher salaries.

In my experience, the stability of my job history was a key factor in considering me for a position, such as tenure with each of my previous employers, and what I did for that employer on a daily basis that matched or at least complemented what I would be doing in the position I was applying for.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tunisia Owens

82 months ago

Hello All,

I have been wondering how can I get into an EA position. I am tired of pursuing Adminstrative Assistant position and believe that I have enough skills and background to make as an EA.

It is very frustrating for me because I don't know what else I lack. My experience is over 12 years of Administrative Support with an Associates degree and about 54 credits towards my bachelors from 2 years ago.

What do I need to do to get in? It sounds like an exciting career.

Maria in Smyrna, Georgia

81 months ago

Tunisia:

I strongly urge you to complete your degree; from your description you have plenty of experience and drive, however something is holding you back. All of the higher paying EA positions for the higher-up executives require a bachelor's degree. If it's 54 credits in between you and your goal, go back to school and finish what you started. Good luck!
EA to CEO

Brooke in Shreveport, Louisiana

61 months ago

What specific jobs do you have to have before you can become an executive assistant, or can you go for being an executive assistant right out of college?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.