Top executive director skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every executive director must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your executive director expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

D. Lanier in Humble, Texas

73 months ago

I'm looking for responses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

K Alder in Commerce, Georgia

73 months ago

Sales and Marketing - Every Exec. position I have held over the last 25 years required excellent sales and marketing background.
Finance/Budget - You must be on top of the numbers! Income and expense management are key to the success of the organization.
People skills - As an executive you can't be shy, yet not to bold. It's a constant balancing act. You report to boards, regional managers and others within the corp. - each has their own agenda, so stepping on toes is fatal. Right now the average length of employment for an Executive Director in Assisted Living, Independent Living or senior housing is 18 months. Then the company turns them over for the lack of impact in Sales/finance or people skills.

Best wishes!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

gingerb123@comcast.net in Lynn, Massachusetts

65 months ago

Your comment was very helpful. I am struggling in a large corp structure that is new for me,,,I feel like a spinning top. It has been 7 months and I do not feel like I have a handle on anything...although I did make some money this month..I spend to much time on the computer reading through tons of e-mails all of which need to be responded to with information that someone needs for some report and it is a funny thing it feels like they use and abuse then kick you to the curb

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Ottawa, Ontario

56 months ago

gingerb123@comcast.net in Lynn, Massachusetts said: Your comment was very helpful. I am struggling in a large corp structure that is new for me,,,I feel like a spinning top. It has been 7 months and I do not feel like I have a handle on anything...although I did make some money this month..I spend to much time on the computer reading through tons of e-mails all of which need to be responded to with information that someone needs for some report and it is a funny thing it feels like they use and abuse then kick you to the curb

Join the Canadian Society for Association Executives. They offer training and best of all, networking for people in jobs like yours. There is an an American counterpart. Bottom line - people in similiar situations can help. Or do and MBA, the association is cheaper

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.