What are the best executive director qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

What is the best training for becoming an executive director? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective executive director?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

D. Lanier in Humble, Texas

71 months ago

looking for responses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

bluedobiegirl in Lexington, Kentucky

66 months ago

I started at age 15 learning what the non profit sector was all about and fell in love. I took my growing knowledge and turned it into a passion, wanting to learn more and more. I have spent the last twelve years of my life in all facets of the sector broadening my knowledge.

Aside from the traditional BAs, BSs, BBAs, and Master level degrees you also need real world experience. Find an organization that you have a conection with and ask them if can be an unpaid intern in ther PR department. Finda another and work in their Development department. Ask to shadow the ED for a day or intern with her. You will learn so much just be making your on ways to find that knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hlubelihle in Bronx, New York

62 months ago

What is the best training for becoming a Director of Diversity and Inclusion? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective director in the area of multicultural affairs? What do non-traditional career paths look like?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hlubelihle in Bronx, New York

62 months ago

What is the best training for becoming a director of diversity and inclusion? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective director i college multicultural affairs?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Ottawa, Ontario

54 months ago

Get an MBA or MPA. Passion is not lovely when you can't manage a budget or anything else for that matter
Get training in HR. Liking people is not managing
You need senior level credentials to compete.
If you are not volunteering with a lot of other organisations, don't bother. Volunteering is what establishes your street creds and builds solid real life experiences. It also helps you focus your passion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jim Binz in Buffalo, New York

49 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming an executive director? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective executive director?

The vast majority of Executive Directors have "come up through the ranks." in most organizations. Think of the ED as the head coach, you will need to have time in each department to manage the whole thing. Try to gain entry through the traditional entry points, volunteering or interning is a great way to find those doors. Expect to spend between 10 and 20 years working your way up to the Director position. Know that you will always have high achieving goals to reach and they will get harder and more challenging as youwork your way up the ladder. It is important that you find an organization that fills you with passion! If you don't truly believe in the mission of the organization, you will never make it! Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.