The best part is...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What do you enjoy most about facilities manager work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Sara in Richmond, Kentucky

71 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about facilities manager work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

I enjoy the aptitude of something unexpected happening on a daily basis. I enjoy problem solving and the self accomplishment of completing projects.
It is challenging due to you always have multiple projects to attend to at one time. That to me makes the job "exciting" never a dull moment in facilities!

The part to me that is a drag is someone seems to always be complaining and you cannot make everyone happy. You also get some executives that feel their needs are more important than the other. If you learn how to juggles those kind of issues you will be fine.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ed in Minneapolis, Minnesota

42 months ago

I agree with the previous post. It is a challenging and exciting profession. You actually can not predict what may happen on a day to day basis.
The hours are long only because you become so involved into projects and situations that you are driven to complete them. The interaction with people is a constant.and at times so time consuming.
At the center where I worked the dieversity was a challenge. The community is constantly changing and the center has to keep up with these changes in order to be successful. Selecting staff that represent the community and the diversity within in it was a challenge. Most facility managers are not allowed to be creative, there are standards that are applied and held to. But this position allowed me to hire and train felons and to create a program.
Being a facility manager with "some room" to create and apply policy and procedures that were only for facility was a challenge but teh reward was the fact that these policies and procedures were approved and added to the organization's handbook. I was able to acheive more within this position than most before and those after me.
As for complaints, they are easily handled once you realized you are not going to make everyone happy, not even your boss will be happy. But as long as you prioritize your day and allow for incidents and adminisrtative demands the job is one that brings fullfillment and purpose.
What I did not like was the accounting aspect that all items, regardless if administration or program were applied aganist the facility operational budget. The Businesss manager, beleives that as a non-profit the center should care the burden of all "short-falls" within budgets of programs and adminstration. This "cuts" deep into operations and has placed the facility operations at a dis-advantage concerning services, products and staffing. Being unemployed, I really miss being apart of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ed in Minneapolis, Minnesota

42 months ago

I agree with the previous post. It is a challenging and exciting profession. You actually can not predict what may happen on a day to day basis.
The hours are long only because you become so involved into projects and situations that you are driven to complete them. The interaction with people is a constant.and at times so time consuming.
At the center where I worked the dieversity was a challenge. The community is constantly changing and the center has to keep up with these changes in order to be successful. Selecting staff that represent the community and the diversity within in it was a challenge. Most facility managers are not allowed to be creative, there are standards that are applied and held to. But this position allowed me to hire and train felons and to create a program.
Being a facility manager with "some room" to create and apply policy and procedures that were only for facility was a challenge but teh reward was the fact that these policies and procedures were approved and added to the organization's handbook. I was able to acheive more within this position than most before and those after me.
As for complaints, they are easily handled once you realized you are not going to make everyone happy, not even your boss will be happy. But as long as you prioritize your day and allow for incidents and adminisrtative demands the job is one that brings fullfillment and purpose.
What I did not like was the accounting aspect that all items, regardless if administration or program were applied aganist the facility operational budget. The Businesss manager, beleives that as a non-profit the center should care the burden of all "short-falls" within budgets of programs and adminstration. This "cuts" deep into operations and has placed the facility operations at a dis-advantage concerning services, products and staffing. Being unemployed, I really miss being apart of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.