Student needs advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

college student in West Lafayette, Indiana

66 months ago

Hello everyone,
I am a senior in college Studying Apparel Design and Technology, I graduate in May. I have done everything; internships in NYC, study abroad, clubs, volunteer work, awards and scholarships. Now I need help landing a real person job!

I need all the advice you have to offer!

Advice including but not limited too:

*How to go about finding a job.
*Interview advice.
*Portfolio advice.
*What employers are looking for.
*What to avoid.
*What a starting salary should be.
*What companies are doing well and which ones aren't.
*Big companies verses small.
*Recession trends in the industry.
*Key things to include in my resume.
*Have you been happy as a Fashion Designer?

Thank you everyone. I really need help. My parents are a teacher and a scientist and I don't know who to ask for help.

Happy fashion week!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

lady N in Brooklyn, New York

66 months ago

I hate it, been in since 2002, worked for big companies. long hours, crappy benefits, and catty woman! Going into healthcare now! oh not to mention, be prepared to only live in nyc forever because there r no jobs outside of nyc, or maybe cali!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

college student in West Lafayette, Indiana

66 months ago

What companies did you work for if you don't mind my asking? And what positions did you hold? Did you only work in big companies, or did you find small companies to be catty as well.

Thank you for your honesty.

Does every one generally feel this way about being a fashion designer?

lady N in Brooklyn, New York

66 months ago

I worked for the largest Department store, mid size brands and new brands at small companies, and I find that I still hate it. It is like the devil wears prada. Some people dont mind it but some think that they deserve a better life like myself. Many designers are not computer savvy and dont participate in these type of forums and scared to lose their jobs if they are found out. They also arent willing to help younger designers because, the market is over flooded with designers, many jobless for years. The cattyness is not the worst part, the fact that most brands come and go, the industry offers little job security.

Adelaide girl in Adelaide, Australia

55 months ago

I am going for a job trial where i have to create a trial pattern.

Does anyone know if it would be ok to bring and use if needed a patternmaking book with me to the trial?

Thanks

hass in paris, France

36 months ago

email me if your interested in puting your design into work, eastern_king@live.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.